As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Let’s Do The Lockdown Again

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ignoring the irksome bastani who is interviewer the book itself is well-researched and gabriel pogrund has been a consistently interesting reporter on internal labour party nonsense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2h-_BzLCcc&feature=emb_title

obF2Wuw.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    The India trade deal is likely to be frustrating, as they've been trying to negotiate trade deals with the EU for about 17 years, and Britain's requirements were a major impediment in those. From rough reading today, it seems like the EU is closer to a FTA with India now that Britain will probably not be in the mix.

Even though we're a major part of India's current EU trade, negotiating a new FTA with our current government's views on immigration and intellectual property will be... "challenging."

Honestly reminds me of how there seemed to be a lot of hesitation about the Trans Pacific Partnership, but then when Trump took the US out of it, there was a whole new deal ready to go and enacted within two years, in part because certain bullshit corporatocracy provisions didn't have to be included to get the US to sign on anymore.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I’ve read some excerpts of Left Out and fuckin hell.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    One thing that stood out to me in the clip of Milliband taking apart Johnson is just how disinterested Johnson looks. No anger or challenge, there's barely even a shrug in response. He gives no indication that he actually wants to be there. Perhaps there is something to those rumours that he's gone at the start of next year?

Don't delude yourself. As Fencingsax pointed out, he's cut from the same cloth as Trump. Trump hates all the work of being President and he's openly loudly pushing for a coup so he can be President for Life. Boris Johnson only wanted to be in power, not to do anything with it. Now that he is in power, he will do everything he can get away with to stay in power, permanently. He will not voluntarily step down and wishful thinking only wastes brain power that should be used to figure out how to expel him.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »
    One thing that stood out to me in the clip of Milliband taking apart Johnson is just how disinterested Johnson looks. No anger or challenge, there's barely even a shrug in response. He gives no indication that he actually wants to be there. Perhaps there is something to those rumours that he's gone at the start of next year?

Don't delude yourself. As Fencingsax pointed out, he's cut from the same cloth as Trump. Trump hates all the work of being President and he's openly loudly pushing for a coup so he can be President for Life. Boris Johnson only wanted to be in power, not to do anything with it. Now that he is in power, he will do everything he can get away with to stay in power, permanently. He will not voluntarily step down and wishful thinking only wastes brain power that should be used to figure out how to expel him.

Well, with an 80 seat majority and four years of his term left, of course he's not going anywhere voluntarily.

He may, however, be voluntold by the 1922 committee when they need someone to blame in a year or so for the COVID+Brexit shitshow, and want to bring in a fresh face without all those nasty associations.

Nobody outside of the Tory party has the means to remove Johnson, and while that sucks, it's not worth burning energy to try and figure out how to "expel" him unless you're on the 1922 committee. In which case, I will have further questions.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    Mayabird wrote: »

Well, with an 80 seat majority and four years of his term left, of course he's not going anywhere voluntarily.

He may, however, be voluntold by the 1922 committee when they need someone to blame in a year or so for the COVID+Brexit shitshow, and want to bring in a fresh face without all those nasty associations.

Nobody outside of the Tory party has the means to remove Johnson, and while that sucks, it's not worth burning energy to try and figure out how to "expel" him unless you're on the 1922 committee. In which case, I will have further questions.

Yep, the only way any of us here have a say in it is in 5 yearly elections where we are inevitably drowned out by boomers who only care about keeping their taxes low and their pensions high.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    The scary thing for me is the permanent Tory rule we get if Scotland leaves and constituencies are redrawn to reflect the current make up of Parliament minus the SNP.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    At least you've still got London, until and unless they decide to double-Brexit and rejoin the EU as an independent city-state. :P

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Behold, the incredible power of failing upwards:
    Chris Grayling to advise ports operator in £100,000 role
    Ex-Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has landed a £100,000 job advising the owner of some of the UK's top ports.

The Conservative MP is working for Hutchison Ports, which operates Harwich and Felixstowe among other terminals.

According to the MPs' register of financial interests, he will be paid for seven hours work a week for a year.

The appointment has been approved by a Whitehall watchdog despite it raising concerns of a "perceived risk" that it may give the firm an unfair advantage.
    I laughed at this line. It actually cheered me up.
    Critics say he made a series of poor decisions during his time in the job, including awarding a contract to a group of ferry operators to provide extra capacity after the UK left the EU - one of which had never sailed a vessel.

The contracts, which Mr Grayling described as an insurance policy, were later cancelled. The National Audit Office estimated that the costs incurred to the taxpayer could be as high as £56.6m.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    I look forward to reading the obituary for Hutchison Ports early next year.

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    I assume that seven hour work week is literally just having lunch with all his chums in government while name-dropping Hutchison Ports so they get the hint to send some loot their way.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Guys it's ok, the watchdog says he is just going to be advising them in his 7 hour a week, 100K job. I'm sure he will never discuss the firm with his MP friends or anything.

Chris Grayling can not feel shame, he can only be shamed.

Guys it's ok, the watchdog says he is just going to be advising them in his 7 hour a week, 100K job. I'm sure he will never discuss the firm with his MP friends or anything.

Chris Grayling can not feel shame, he can only be shamed.

The watchdog doesn't seem to feel shame either.

He's also not going to be advising them about anything brexit-related (because that's not likely to be a major concern for them), but about things like environmental regulations.

• Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    I mean.. if Grayling knows the secret to getting a contract for ferrying without actually having any ferries, £100,000 sounds like a bargain for that kind of intel!

Bogart wrote: »

Grayling is probably only useless when he works for us, when he's working for himself he may be motivated enough to be useful.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    It's legal for Grayling to take a job like that, whilst being a sitting MP?

edited September 2020
    oldmanken wrote: »
    It's legal for Grayling to take a job like that, whilst being a sitting MP?

It is if he declares it and the watchdog committee says it's kosher, which they do in this case for whatever reason.

Casual on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I could go for working less than one day a week and earning 100k.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

First you have to spaff a billion quid up the wall on stupid reforms and bad contracts. The shortlist is exclusive.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Fun fact: as Angela Rayner noted in PMQs yesterday, that's still a tenth of what Boris Johnson once earned as an hourly wage when he was a columnist.

I honestly find it mind boggling to even think of existing in social circles where such salaries are commonplace. It's just so incredibly divorced from the experiences of the statistically average person in the UK.

• DibbitDibbit Registered User regular

He got another company that didn't even have boats almost 60 million. Seems like an excellent employee to have.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

Fun fact: as Angela Rayner noted in PMQs yesterday, that's still a tenth of what Boris Johnson once earned as an hourly wage when he was a columnist.

I honestly find it mind boggling to even think of existing in social circles where such salaries are commonplace. It's just so incredibly divorced from the experiences of the statistically average person in the UK.

It's not just the salaries that are obscene. It's the job market they deal in. A regular person loses their job, they've got to start job hunting in earnest, resumes, interviews, rejections, wash, rinse, repeat.

These assholes...

"Can I have a six/seven figure job?"
    "Sure. Which one do you want? I can make some calls, you can start whenever."

The ease of getting the jobs is almost as obscene as the salaries. I know people on low six figure jobs that have worked their asses off to get where they're going. They've sacrificed, and they continue to bust ass knowing that if they fail, it's going to have an impact on getting their next job.

Not these assholes, as has been pointed out, with their monumental failures seeming to have zero consequence into rolling up to an equivalent or better job.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    But the foreigners

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Maybe having jobs just given to them without any qualifications is why they think foreigners can just waltz in and take any job from folks? :razz:

OrokosPA.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Maybe having jobs just given to them without any qualifications is why they think foreigners can just waltz in and take any job from folks? :razz:

They lack any sense of empathy, so that is probably part of it.

Dibbit wrote: »

He got another company that didn't even have boats almost 60 million. Seems like an excellent employee to have.

The thing with "failing Grayling" is we think he's a fuckup because we have a different definition of success than he does. We see his performance in public office as a series of failures to advance policy or run departments efficiently, he sees them as a vehicle in which he can funnel public money into his cronies pockets. In that sense he is incredibly good at what he does.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

The thing with "failing Grayling" is we think he's a fuckup because we have a different definition of success than he does. We see his performance in public office as a series of failures to advance policy or run departments efficiently, he sees them as a vehicle in which he can funnel public money into his cronies pockets. In that sense he is incredibly good at what he does.

Also, arguably, his job is convincing his electorate that he's worth re-electing. And he's done that six times, by convincing margins (30+pts most elections).

The sad part is, if it wasn't for Labor and Lib Dems always knifing each other, his electorate might be a lot closer. FPTP is a plague on elections.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Perhaps one could find a way to launch the student body and alumni of all the elite boarding schools (save maybe the Merchant Tailor's School) and the 4 Inns in London out of the solar system, stuff might start approaching an equilibrium.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    MorganV wrote: »

Also, arguably, his job is convincing his electorate that he's worth re-electing. And he's done that six times, by convincing margins (30+pts most elections).

The sad part is, if it wasn't for Labor and Lib Dems always knifing each other, his electorate might be a lot closer. FPTP is a plague on elections.

His constituency is one of the safest tory seats in the country. Right in the middle of conservative country. Quite frankly, a dog with a blue rossette would win.

Found a good analogy with Thatcher. She got a huge majority despite including the poll tax in their manifesto. Once the public realised what the poll tax was and how it affected them everything hit the fan and the tories had to jettison Thatcher to avoid losing the next election.

Mc zany on
    Home Office immigration unit has 'no idea' - MPs
    The Home Office has "no idea" what its £400m-a-year immigration enforcement unit achieves, meaning it is unprepared for Brexit, MPs have warned.

The cross-party Public Accounts Committee said a lack of diversity at the top of the department also risked a repeat of the Windrush scandal.

Its policies may be based purely on "assumption and prejudice", it warned.
    The only thing that surprises me in this statement is the word 'may'.

klemming wrote: »
    Home Office immigration unit has 'no idea' - MPs
    The Home Office has "no idea" what its £400m-a-year immigration enforcement unit achieves, meaning it is unprepared for Brexit, MPs have warned.

The cross-party Public Accounts Committee said a lack of diversity at the top of the department also risked a repeat of the Windrush scandal.

Its policies may be based purely on "assumption and prejudice", it warned.
    The only thing that surprises me in this statement is the word 'may'.

I mean they should at least be able to gather some basic stats on fines and deportations or something. Can I get a job in their enforcement unit? I'll get a nice little cube or office and do nothing all day except siphon off funds that would otherwise (likely) be used to screw over immigrants.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    We seem to be rebranding the second lockdown as a "circuit break". Presumably to avoid extending the furlough scheme

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Hopefully they time it to avoid the long weekend in the Lake District I've got booked in for the start of October.

• DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Hopefully they time it to avoid the long weekend in the Lake District I've got booked in for the start of October.

I'm sure there's an optician so you can have your eyes checked somewhere in the Lake District.
    (That was the Tory excuse to ignore the lockdown, wasn't it?)

I'm sure there's an optician so you can have your eyes checked somewhere in the Lake District.

You don't need an appointment, going to look at a tourist attraction is an acceptable alternative.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Mc zany wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »

His constituency is one of the safest tory seats in the country. Right in the middle of conservative country. Quite frankly, a dog with a blue rossette would win.

Found a good analogy with Thatcher. She got a huge majority despite including the poll tax in their manifesto. Once the public realised what the poll tax was and how it affected them everything hit the fan and the tories had to jettison Thatcher to avoid losing the next election.

Obviously. After all a more incompetent and less qualified MP has it on lock.

fuck gendered marketing
  • GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »

You don't need an appointment, going to look at a tourist attraction is an acceptable alternative.

as long as you do it in a limited and specific way, its perfectly fine to go visit tourist attractions

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Local lock-downs in all of Lancashire, except for Blackpool which is covered by a separate council. This one includes a curfew of 10pm

So my son can sit in a classroom with 34 people, my wife can interact with anywhere up to 200 people per day as a high school teacher, we could go to the pub or a restaurant but we can't go sit in either of our parent's back gardens

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Local lock-downs in all of Lancashire, except for Blackpool which is covered by a separate council. This one includes a curfew of 10pm

So my son can sit in a classroom with 34 people, my wife can interact with anywhere up to 200 people per day as a high school teacher, we could go to the pub or a restaurant but we can't go sit in either of our parent's back gardens

And the Pleasure Beach is good to open too apparently.

This discussion has been closed.