As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TITANFALL 2 | The Frontier is Worth Every Part of This Fight! | EA buys Respawn

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Yeah I cannot imagine a game fandom that would be happier than Titanfall fans when/if Titanfall 3 is announced. There are still people who play TF2 religiously. I hope they make money on Apex Legends for another year or two and then just knock TF3 out of the park. Maybe line it up with the launch of next gen consoles.

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    I picked up TF2 when it was on sale since I was always interested but could never find time for it. I finally played through the campaign and damnit I hate myself for missing out on this game all this time.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    It really is a fantastic game. The multiplayer is also worth it just for the amazing feeling of flying around the maps, never mind the fact that every single match has something fantastically cinematic happen several times on account of the titans.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    It really is a fantastic game. The multiplayer is also worth it just for the amazing feeling of flying around the maps, never mind the fact that every single match has
    something fantastically cinematic happen several times on account of the titans.

Though full disclosure you will be murdered relentlessly for weeks, if not months, because the people still playing it are god damned monsters when it comes to the PVP.

And I don't mean that in the sense they they're cruel assholes. I mean that in the sense that you'll be a lamb and they'll be Deathclaws with plasma miniguns in a full set of power armor that have free access to airstrikes.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It really is a fantastic game. The multiplayer is also worth it just for the amazing feeling of flying around the maps, never mind the fact that every single match has
    something fantastically cinematic happen several times on account of the titans.

Though full disclosure you will be murdered relentlessly for weeks, if not months, because the people still playing it are god damned monsters when it comes to the PVP.

And I don't mean that in the sense they they're cruel assholes. I mean that in the sense that you'll be a lamb and they'll be Deathclaws with plasma miniguns in a full set of power armor that have free access to airstrikes.

Alternatively, there's Frontier Defense if you want multiplayer action but not have to deal with PVP.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Alternatively, there's Frontier Defense if you want multiplayer action but not have to deal with PVP.

Not a thing I knew existed and have no idea what it entails but is still attractive enough to make me consider reinstalling the game.

Though that would obviously involve me replaying the campaign and since it's possibly the best single player campaign I've ever played through in an FPS I just can't imagine putting myself through that agai

Oh, wait

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Frontier Defense is like a horde mode with you and some other humans fighting waves of AI soldiers and titans

It’s pretty dang fun

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular

Knowledge of the maps themselves are the most important thing. My reactions and aim aren't great, but I do reasonably well (on the PS4) because I've got a fairly good idea of where people will be and the lanes people shoot down. There are parts to all maps that I just ignore going to because my life expectancy can be measured in seconds.

If you want to get in to the PvP, then I'd recommend Bounty first because it basically gives zones for players to go to and fight. This gives you a rough ideawhere most of the players are going to be so you won't find yourself getting killed from all angles (which can happen in other modes) and you can start to learn the maps.

Plus, killing the NPC's builds up your titan meter very quickly, and it should be said that this mode priortises on you playing the objective. I've seen people top the scoreboard with very low kill scores, while those with 30+ kills are down near the bottom.

Attrition is similar to Bounty, but you don't quite get the zones to fight over, and kills matter more.

You do unlock things fairly quicky, in terms of classes and weapons, etc...but the starter stuff is great and most can be bought on a permanent basis from the credits you earn very quickly. They only thing I can remember being expensive is the pilot classes...

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Frontier Defense is like a horde mode with you and some other humans fighting waves of AI soldiers and titans

It’s pretty dang fun

That and it's dirt easy to find a lobby on Normal difficulty. Never have to wait more than a minute to get into a game.

Titanfall 2 is my Game of the Generation. It's the only multiplayer shooter I've played that doesn't leave me salty after a loss, because even in losing I still pulled off some cool shit.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    If TF3 is ever a thing then I really hope factions is still a thing . I fight for the ACEs , nobody else.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I will say for 3 one thing I hope is that the maps feel more balanced.

1's maps probably favored pilots too much, but I felt the ones in 2 were a bit too wide open.

As least a mix or something would be nice.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    There was a developer insight near release that stated 1 maps were chaotic sponges and 2 maps were more designed around lanes and the entire community agreed the sponge maps from 1 were significantly better. Angel City simply spanks Crash Site.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the lane design of TF2 maps ends up taking all verticality and non-linearity of the movement and makes the player want to take linear paths. I much preferred being rewarded for coming up with maneuvers for the current battlefield situation than just learning rote patterns for static lanes.

Not to mention the newer maps are fucking awful for Titan combat. Combined with extremely aggravating change to prebuilt Titans, certain Titans just have enormous, enormous advantages on certain maps. You end up spending most of the time shoved down one approach or another and if you get outnumbered going that way, welp, you're fucked because you can only go forwards or backwards to get away. And because some of those maps are so constrained, almost all the Pilot combat happens in the same space as the Titan combat and Pilots just get slaughtered repeatedly.

It also doesn't help that lane-designed maps feel like game maps instead of places. It's obvious how the combat is being corralled into certain avenues, rather than just being dropped into a chaotic warzone.

Overall, I'd want TF3 to take a significant step towards being more like the first game than the second. The second game just constrains players far, far too much in order to try to force them to play maps the particular way the devs want them to. I want real weapon customization and actual Titan customization back, not this crap with the same upgrades for almost every gun and fixed Titan types with limited upgrades.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, the emphasis on lanes works for Frontier Defense...but I can see how it'd be less than great in a PVP setting (unless, of course, Titanfall 3 becomes a blending of DotA/LoL with mechs). Like, it'd be a pipedream, but it'd be nice if, for Titanfall 3, Respawn did what DICE did for Battlefield: Bad Company 2/Battlefield 3 for their Rush game mode. Namely, have different map layouts for Frontier Defense (have the lanes) and the PVP modes (no lanes).

Also, I agree...I miss being able to customize my Titan AI voice/personality. I'd love to equip Audrey into my Monarch >.<

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I loved the TF2 campaign. It's not one of the best campaigns ever, but it is one of the best designed campaigns ever. The gold standard in pacing, variety, length and difficulty. I've replayed it a couple of times and it's always good.

I played the hell out of TF1 multiplayer, all achievements, Gen 10, absolutely adored that game. I tried to get into TF2 multiplayer, but I disliked pretty much all of the changes from TF1. TF1, while simplistic, felt like a warzone with tons of enemy AI everywhere and chaotic maps. You could fight other pilots, but I loved to rampage through the AI and focus on enemy pilots only when necessary.

TF2 went heavily in the direction of traditional, structured player-vs-player combat, with some AI and some Titans. I could not play it like I played TF1. And if I wanted to shoot other players, I had any number of other multiplayer games I'd rather do that in.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    But how many other multiplayer games let you drop your mech on top of their mech.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The Smart Pistol is still one of the greatest innovations of their design.
    Also if they made a third, I'd like them to skew more back to Titanfall's MP design.
    And a minor quibble, I highly resent the 3rd person cutaway scenes when getting into your Titan in TF2. Loved staying in the first person in TF1 as a hand came down to scoop you into the cockpit.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTk9VD2nPuw

there's a reason I'm posting the new Apex Legends character here, you should watch and find out

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I feel nothing but crushing guilt after watching that.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    It... kinda represents frustrations players have had with the series for a while?

It feels like after Titanfall 1 there was a sense of disappointment and they wanted to get far away from that. Meanwhile fans desperately wanted 1 But More. 2 was released with frustrations over designers explaining map design changing from sponges to lanes, showing off a new mode described like an upgraded Attrition and for a month was unwilling to say the game would have Attrition, grunt use is technically on this list but they were using some special server hardware to make that happen in 1 so I’m not gonna hammer it too much, etc.

Apex is very popular with new players to the series, but for fans from the first game it’s cynical hope. It’s a battle royale game that will allow the developers space to produce another Titanfall since they are not supporting themselves. If the series ends there it’s an understandable disappointment. It’s wildly more successful of course that’s their future.

Now we have this animation. Happy to see Viper, happy to see a Northstar doing its thing. Protagonist is animated weirdly, some bizarre run cycles going on. I would actually be down with a Titanfall game in this style akin to traditional animation. Despite the message of the animation being the protagonist becoming her own person better than her father I don’t actually have any idea of her capabilities or qualifications other than her father was Viper. Her greatest strength was the Monarch Titan, which was destroyed. Apex characters are interesting in their vulnerabilities like Mirage so not a deal-breaker, just weird themes.

A real feeling the developers thought showing fan favorite Viper would be fan service, and melting the Monarch down for Valkryie’s armor would not be seen as trying desperately still to get away from Titanfall? Solid messaging that the series is veering away from Titans. Something to be left in the past. Which is not what the Titanfall fans want to hear.

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Idk I could see Apex expanding to including a Titans mode. It definitely would bring me back to the game.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Eh, I've just realized the tempo of BRs isn't for me.

It's all up and down while I prefer steady streams of action.

That said I'm not really holding my breath for TF3 anymore it either happens or it doesn't.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    I think it's more likely we'll get a Titans mode within Apex, than a full on TF3. Respawn is working on the Jedi game sequel... And apparently the made a PC only Medal of Honor game in 2020?? But who knows

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Idk I could see Apex expanding to including a Titans mode. It definitely would bring me back to the game.

A Titans mode might bring me back, but I would still really resent the parkour being largely stripped from the game.
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Eh, I've just realized the tempo of BRs isn't for me.

It's all up and down while I prefer steady streams of action.

That said I'm not really holding my breath for TF3 anymore it either happens or it doesn't.

Yeah, in the end I just don't have fucking time for BRs. 30-40 minutes of waiting and on-and-off combat just does nothing for me. It takes the learning curve and stretches it waaaaaay out just because any given circumstance doesn't happen often, and having bigass waits between the fun stuff is just wasting so much of my time. And then if you die, welp, look forward to waiting another 5-10 minutes to get into a match.

If I've got an hour to play, I don't want to spend 60% of it waiting for stuff to happen.

And if and when TF3 happens, first thing the devs need to do? Hit the mute button for taking input from "pro" gamers.TF2's multiplayer map design was a big, big step down from the original and just far too interested in forcing pilot confrontation instead of simulating an actual battle.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote: »
    It... kinda represents frustrations players have had with the series for a while?

It feels like after Titanfall 1 there was a sense of disappointment and they wanted to get far away from that. Meanwhile fans desperately wanted 1 But More. 2 was released with frustrations over designers explaining map design changing from sponges to lanes, showing off a new mode described like an upgraded Attrition and for a month was unwilling to say the game would have Attrition, grunt use is technically on this list but they were using some special server hardware to make that happen in 1 so I’m not gonna hammer it too much, etc.

Apex is very popular with new players to the series, but for fans from the first game it’s cynical hope. It’s a battle royale game that will allow the developers space to produce another Titanfall since they are not supporting themselves. If the series ends there it’s an understandable disappointment. It’s wildly more successful of course that’s their future.

Now we have this animation. Happy to see Viper, happy to see a Northstar doing its thing. Protagonist is animated weirdly, some bizarre run cycles going on. I would actually be down with a Titanfall game in this style akin to traditional animation. Despite the message of the animation being the protagonist becoming her own person better than her father I don’t actually have any idea of her capabilities or qualifications other than her father was Viper. Her greatest strength was the Monarch Titan, which was destroyed. Apex characters are interesting in their vulnerabilities like Mirage so not a deal-breaker, just weird themes.

A real feeling the developers thought showing fan favorite Viper would be fan service, and melting the Monarch down for Valkryie’s armor would not be seen as trying desperately still to get away from Titanfall? Solid messaging that the series is veering away from Titans. Something to be left in the past. Which is not what the Titanfall fans want to hear.

Ash is talking to us in-game, offering a little sidequest that leads to a teaser about a new upcoming non-BR mode called Arena
    Datamined stuff from recent builds, potential spoilers:
    Ash and Blisk have unfinished playable versions in-game right now, Blisk literally calls in an Auto-Titan for his ult lol

They're not trying to get away from Titanfall at all, they're embracing it more and more.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    The thing is a lot of us don’t want Apex with Titans . We just want titanfall .

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options

Well the good news is there are two perfectly good titanfall games to play! And maybe if we're lucky, we'll get a TF3.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

The actual thing is that the "us" that want Titanfall are outrageously dwarfed by the Apex only fans. Titanfall 2 did not do well at launch. It's probably sold fine at $5 but... what does that do, it's five bucks. Meanwhile Apex is aggressively monetized with expensive stuff. It's very much EA's fault with how they launched that game, but that doesn't make the facts different.

I loved the Titanfall 2 campaign, but people need to be realistic and not get mad about obvious business realities like "support the thing that makes us extremely successful, not games that weren't successful by our own metrics.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options

The actual thing is that the "us" that want Titanfall are outrageously dwarfed by the Apex only fans. Titanfall 2 did not do well at launch. It's probably sold fine at $5 but... what does that do, it's five bucks. Meanwhile Apex is aggressively monetized with expensive stuff. It's very much EA's fault with how they launched that game, but that doesn't make the facts different.

I loved the Titanfall 2 campaign, but people need to be realistic and not get mad about obvious business realities like "support the thing that makes us extremely successful not games that weren't successful by our own metrics.

Who said I’m mad ? I’m saying this does nothing for me .

• Options
    If it's within the Apex framework it's not Titanfall. Think if the Street Fighter series was 100% only Super Puzzle Fighter games after. Sure the looks, characters, concepts and some mechanics are the same and this DLC is adding a callback to previous games folks like. But it's a different thing.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I loved the Titanfall 2 campaign, but people need to be realistic and not get mad about obvious business realities like "support the thing that makes us extremely successful not games that weren't successful by our own metrics.

Who said I’m mad ? I’m saying this does nothing for me .

I didn't mean to say you personally were mad. I know some people are, though. Which is unnecessary, there are so many out there having a great time with Apex and Titanfall 2 is still playable.

• Options
    Ah , I was confused.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I bought Titanfall 2 Deluxe at full price on release! Twice! (PS4 and Origin) and my dumb ass is sitting here contemplating grabbing the bundle of 1 & 2 on sale on steam right now.

It makes me sad that all I accomplished was probably helping to bankroll another stupid BR bandwagon game that I have no interest in. On the other hand it's nice to see Respawn getting the mainstream recognition they richly deserve. I'm a little torn.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    I bought Titanfall 2 Deluxe at full price on release! Twice! (PS4 and Origin) and my dumb ass is sitting here contemplating grabbing the bundle of 1 & 2 on sale on steam right now.

It makes me sad that all I accomplished was probably helping to bankroll another stupid BR bandwagon game that I have no interest in. On the other hand it's nice to see Respawn getting the mainstream recognition they richly deserve. I'm a little torn.

Yeah , I bought the game at release and a bunch of the dlc packs overtime. Still one of the fairest dlc cosmetics and price model I’ve ever seen.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I hadn't looked at it through that lense.

Now I'm pissed haha.

:'(.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Fired the game up for the first time in forever and was trying out new things. I suck hard now . In the last 10 games I had a 2.5 k/d vs pilots ( never understood why it shows you one where the grunts count. I’m down to 1.1 ( 1.2 over my lifetime ) . Feels bad to be bad but man trying out new stuff is also fun , going to try the softball next.

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I hadn't looked at it through that lense.

Now I'm pissed haha.

:'(.

Honestly for me this is an overly literary take on what we've seen here. Viper's Northstar being melted down doesn't have to be a metaphor for the Titanfall franchise.

For me if anything it's the opposite. The further entwining of the Titanfall universe with Apex's in game fiction has actually engendered my hope that TF3 might one day be released. I don't think it's a coincidence that only now are Respawn beginning to bring out a bunch of Legends with deep links to the OG fiction.

Given how BR shooters are currently ruling the roost I could imagine, and indeed prefer, that Respawn waited a while to even begin teasing what they've done with TF3.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Is there still a population for TF2? Would be kinda fun to hop into some multi on Xbox

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I’m on Xbox hovers between 2k-5k players , you can still find games and on pc there is a sale and the pop is around 15k. Game was never the #1 active but it never died and kept a small dedicated player base just because of how original and fun it is.

And if anyone is wondering how it went with the softball... poorly . Back to the old standby , G2 and northstar.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah, if anything Respawn has been using Apex and it's lore to pull people into the Titanfall lore/universe more.
    They've actually said that TF2 combat was TOO hype for most shooter fans, which led them to drop it as too intense, versus choosing your pace somewhat in BRs (based on where you drop)