As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who is the best HololiveEN member? Find out in the Vtuber thread!

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Takanashi Kiara
    Y'know. I unironically wish I handled my anger the same way Luna does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLIrekKhCO4

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I'd say superchats are closer to bits on Twitch, just without the obfuscation layer where Twitch skims off the top.

Same general idea though. I generally prefer showing my affection for Twitch streamers through subs and gift subs, but every now and then dropping direct donations feels good.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Jeeez.

Cali: nearly 27k.
    Kiara: 10k
    Gwar: 21k
    Ina: 13k (her stream is still going)
    Ame: Not yet started.

Korone earns around an average of 10k a week. Obviously this is everyone showing their appreciation, which is great. I hope this is the beginning of something awesome. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Mori Calliope
    Coco weighs in on the newcomers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yactWfIytDI

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Gawr Gura
    so I'm just now watching Ina stream for the first time, and I'm one million percent sure I recognize her voice from somewhere, or it at least sounds exactly like another voice I've heard, but I'm not sure if it's a streamer or an actor or what

this is going to drive me absolutely insane until i figure it out

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Gawr Gura
    Athenor wrote: »
    Jeeez.

Korone earns around an average of 10k a week. Obviously this is everyone showing their appreciation, which is great. I hope this is the beginning of something awesome. :)
    so calli outdid gura? huh

i did notice gura's slowed down later on in the stream after the jawdropping first 15 minutes or so

Elendil on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Gawr Gura
    Calli has been putting out all those songs, was the first one to stream on a decent time for U.S. and she went straight into reading the superchat messages.

steam_sig.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Gawr Gura
    so I thiiiink I figured out who Ina reminds me of

I think she's reminding me VERY MUCH of BMO from Adventure Time. Like if you took the filter off BMO's voice, they would sound almost exactly the same

edited September 2020
    Gawr Gura
    Jeeez.

Ame might be taking first place. This stream is epic.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Centipede Damascus on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Takanashi Kiara
    Fall Guys doesn't have servers in multiple regions right? So when the Holos play they're playing with a latency handicap right?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Gawr Gura
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Jeeez.

liEt3nH.png
    Poor Kiara. She keeps having to read these Big Smoke orders for fast food. :D

• halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Umm, these monetization streams are really ringing my alarm bells. Does it seem gross to you? It seems gross to me.

Those kind of streams are hitting my "Finsub" button hardcore, and seeing it coupled with a cartoon character is not making me feel very yummy on the inside. I might not be in on the game or joke or whatever, but seeing Pikamee write "If you feel sorry for me, give me money" in DeepL (so it shows up in Japanese and English in big letters behind her), and watch her giggle and say "oh no please stop, don't give me money now, lol" in a giggly sarcastic way and watching her get four grand in 10 minutes is just uugggghhhh!

That money isn't going to her, she's just a character being played by an actress! If it's anything like the Japanese idol industry I know, and also did senior thesis on after a year and change of research, these girls are getting paid Jack.

Someone posted on Reddit that one of these debut monetization streams and made over $11,000 in an hour...

I just... I don't know. Maybe I'm just being an old man yelling at a cloud. However, I can't shake that if you are using monetization methods that straight up camsites use... Something isn't right. I feel that in the not-to-distant future, a parasocial and cultural disconnect is going to make a dumb thing happen that's going to peeve a lot of people off.

I mean, I use SC for streams like Everyday Astronaut, where I know that Tim Dodd running a business, pays his staff, and generally produces media I like. Yes, he owns a Tesla that he drives to Texas to watch rocket launches, but you know what, here's $10, go in style, and you mind telling me a little about aerospike engines?

Though, not gonna lie... Hearing someone talk about delta-V, thrust-to-weight ratios, and aerothermodynamics can get me a little, you know... but really, who doesn't right?

halkun on
    It's perfectly valid to feel that way! There's obviously a lot that goes into why anyone donates, and it is hopefully understood that these are characters created as a combination of the parent company, the artists, and the actresses.

But there does seem to be some good behind the characters. Amelia broke down and talked about how rough the year has been and how she had to be a caregiver and lost someone close to her (if I remember right). She talked about how she hoped people would believe her emotions were genuine. So even if only a fraction of the SCs are going to the actresses, they seem to be enjoying the ride and making people happy.

I'll note I haven't given any SC yet though. My sub and engagement helps them too. =)

• DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Gawr Gura
    Well, that's only problem if the talent is being exploited in any way, I hope not and there hasn't really been any firsthand accounts of bad practices, other than Nijisanji and Cover not being on the ball for the anti-harassment part of the equation. If there is a whistleblower that comes out and says that no really the company or companies that they work for are taking advantage of them then yeah your thesis is correct and it would suck.

However, when I have donated I have been doing it clear-eyed. They're entertainers, they are working hard and I am showing my support with money because it is a fun positive thing in my life in a bad time. The fan communities are largely supportive of the talent, and critical of the management when they fall short. I know if I am being manipulated beyond the transactional level of fan-creator, and generally I think it doesn't really come of that way. I am paying for a product I enjoy, I'm no whale though so whatever my choices are a drop in the bucket.

Of course everything's a dumpster fire so this could go bad, but for the most part I think most people are being genuine in this parasocial interaction, if I am wrong then I won't be shocked but disappointed.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    edited September 2020
    Takanashi Kiara
    I had a talk with my roomie about that stuff actually. At the end of the day though I'm attributing it to Japanese outlook on money / how they spend it being different than how people in the USA think about and spend their money. I mean yeah they're making a truckload of money and it's fucking weird but I wonder how long it'll last in the long-term.

The only one I specifically wish success for is Watame. She was straight forward about wanting to be able to buy a home for her mother considering what the two of them went through.

Edit - And that's not to say I DON'T want the others to have success. I just mean the one I'm rooting for actively.

Henroid on
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    At least a substantial proportion of these actors are in their mid 20s, and I think some have side jobs. The cash will flow at least as long as we're all stuck at home with no social activities to otherwise spend our money. I feel like if you're able to repeatedly be hours late to your own stream, do marathon streams on a whim against advice, curse and make sexual references, get repeatedly banned and demonetized without having to change your behavior, take mental and physical healthcare breaks, buy a $9000 bed, and be openly critical of management with a response, a lot of red flags are getting dismantled.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Mori Calliope
    yeah and like, it seems weird to compare them to cam girls when this is already a thing with game streamers. Not that cam girls are a bad thing, they obviously work hard for their money too.

people know what they're doing and know these characters are in some ways, well characters,

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Mori Calliope
    I mean, at least they're not constantly hawking Raycon earbuds or Raid Shadow Legends I suppose.

Gawr Gura
    I view super chats like a tip jar and me living in the U.S. I am assuming that and the ad revenue makes up most of the streamers income and I think if you break it down average donation per viewer it probably comes out to a couple bucks.

steam_sig.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Gawr Gura
    Kiara enters hour 3 of just reading Superchats...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcLmCQAbOCc
    Her poor throat...

It ended after 4 hours and 38 minutes. Damn...

shoeboxjeddy on
    Gawr Gura
    I took a break to grab some Raising Cane's and it looks like she realized people were donating to keep the stream going as a joke and turned superchat off.

steam_sig.png
    Gawr Gura
    I took a break to grab some Raising Cane's and it looks like she realized people were donating to keep the stream going as a joke and turned superchat off.

Having Superchat on in a stream where you're trying to finish reading Superchats is a good way to make money... and also to just die if you're popular enough.

Gawr Gura
    Turns out the best way to get superchats is to tell the viewers no supachato time.

steam_sig.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Gawr Gura
    Jeeez.

meitantei-mikeneko-holmes-26930.jpg

I only know about Mikeneko Holmes because I accidentally bought the Wonderswan game.

uyvfOQy.png
    Gawr Gura
    The one thing I would be curious to know is exactly what percentage of the donations go to the girls themselves. I'm not generally one to donate anyway, but whether or not I decided to in the future would depend a lot on whether it seemed like they were getting a fair shake.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Gawr Gura
    The thing about these superchats is that they're very high but I promise you that the average amount of money a regular streamer makes weekly from donations/subs, like superchats, is significantly higher than you would assume

There are a LOT of stream whales even for people that aren't trying to be cute or idol-like.

liEt3nH.png
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    Gawr Gura
    I mean, at least they're not constantly hawking Raycon earbuds or Raid Shadow Legends I suppose.

Between Dankpods breakdown of the Raycons and Scott the Woz's total dismantle of Raid Shadow Legends I have very little faith in brand deals other than getting the artists paid, but it really seems like that these brands are spending way more on marketing than product development and it shows.

So I like at least being able to mostly directly contribute to the product I enjoy. For as many layers of artifice are on the vtuber thing, their successes largely lie in it bringing a very human experience by synthesizing a bunch of cultural touchpoints that are shared cross-culturally. On it's face, it's distopically late capitalism but you find the solace you can in a messed up world.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    As I understand it, Youtube takes 30% of superchat revenue. Hololive takes something like 30% to 50% of what's left, and the rest goes to the streamer. So for each dollar the streamer gets something like 35 to 50 cents

sXXjb1B.png
    Gawr Gura
    As I understand it, Youtube takes 30% of superchat revenue. Hololive takes something like 30% to 50% of what's left, and the rest goes to the streamer. So for each dollar the streamer gets something like 35 to 50 cents

Somewhat complicated by Hololive paying the taxes portion and also compensating streamers to some degree (maybe only the ones who don't hit a certain Superchat revenue on their own?) Merch produced by the talent is more profitable for them as I understand it, so do consider that if you'd like to compensate a streamer and not Youtube/their corporation.

Gawr Gura
    4 hours and 40 minutes and Kiara is finally done. It started to get pretty emotionally near the end too.

steam_sig.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Gawr Gura

The only thing I've heard that slightly contradicts this is that the remainder may or may not be divvied up between the girls at large?

Like they keep a portion of that 35 to 50 percent but also there is a total pool that then get distributed evenly, so talent like mel or akirose don't get left in the dust

Or maybe that's part of hololive's cut, idk

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    4 hours and 40 minutes and Kiara is finally done. It started to get pretty emotionally near the end too.

Good emotional or bad emotional?

• kriegskriegs Registered User regular

Like, I know the title of the video makes it a "dead dove don't eat" sort of situation but when the skull starts into the monologue, I couldn't help but almost spit out my drink.

Gawr Gura

Someone sent her a shitty message over superchat at around the hour and half to 2 hour point and at around the 4 hour point so got to all the supportive messages people sent her over SC and everyone started spamming regular chat with heart emojis so it ended on a good note.

steam_sig.png

Someone sent her a shitty message over superchat at around the hour and half to 2 hour point and at around the 4 hour point so got to all the supportive messages people sent her over SC and everyone started spamming regular chat with heart emojis so it ended on a good note.

Okay, good. I was worried there were going to be some malicious Aholes and such. I noticed Amelia didn't read every message, just the names, which might be a smarter way to do it. :)

This discussion has been closed.