As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

Back when davis actually had ideas and drew things. I don't hate it.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Actors are so fucking dumb sometimes

Film actors tend to have the highest-percentage chance of going full "...Why would you do that?"

Theatre actors aren't much better, it's just a different breed of bad ideas.

Although honestly I've known a few who might pull that sort of thing themselves. A friend of mine used to do all his preshow warm-up in the furnace room so he could properly prepare for his villain role.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    That seems fairly benign and more understandable? Like, a big theater villain would absolutely have a musical number in a furnace room. That guy sounds like he got the role I'd imagine.

Guy about to play a serial killer deciding the best way to prep for that role is to crank it to academic illustrations of like, psoriasis or something? Makes me think that guy might actually be a big ole dumb- dumb.

But then again I am hilariously not an actor so what the fuck do I know?

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    The wildest thing I've ever seen an actor do was in a scene when they didn't have a shirt on. They were hanging out on set without a shirt, and I was like, "Yeah, they're definitely in shape. But they're not, like, CRAZY in shape. That's a regular human body, right there."

And then the second the cameras started rolling, it's like they FLIPPED A SWITCH, and their abs popped out. There was no sign of exertion, they didn't do crunches or anything. Just, BAM, abs. They breathed normally through the take, talked normally. Director cuts, and poof - abs gone.

This maybe sounds mundane, but goddamn, it was like a magic track.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah it's nowhere near the same level

I'm just thinking of all the shitty method types I've known

The worst of them isn't a fun story or anything, he was just a guy that would refuse to continue rehearsal if he didn't feel like the actress playing his daughter loved him genuinely enough in the scene they were doing

• see317see317 Registered User regular

Sometimes?

We never hear about the ones that don't go full on "so fucking dumb". They just kind of fade away.

The wildest thing I've ever seen an actor do was in a scene when they didn't have a shirt on. They were hanging out on set without a shirt, and I was like, "Yeah, they're definitely in shape. But they're not, like, CRAZY in shape. That's a regular human body, right there."

And then the second the cameras started rolling, it's like they FLIPPED A SWITCH, and their abs popped out. There was no sign of exertion, they didn't do crunches or anything. Just, BAM, abs. They breathed normally through the take, talked normally. Director cuts, and poof - abs gone.

This maybe sounds mundane, but goddamn, it was like a magic track.

I must learn this magic

Yeah I was always in the wings doing pushups before shirtless scenes, that sounds way better

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I once heard a story of an actor saying how silly it was that these meatheads like vin diesel do push ups before scenes, how fitness obsessed can you be

and then I realized that it's probably to make the muscles pop more so they don't have to look that ripped 24/7

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Shirtless? On camera? I barely wanna take my shirt off to get in the shower

Yeah that's exactly it. It's not a big difference, but for stuff like abs especially, it's enough of one.

It can also definitely be useful as a tool for getting in character, at least in my experience. But I was cast as a lot of vain and vicious characters.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Yeah that's exactly it. It's not a big difference, but for stuff like abs especially, it's enough of one.

It can also definitely be useful as a tool for getting in character, at least in my experience. But I was cast as a lot of vain and vicious characters.

What about vile? Or venal?

Grey Ghost wrote: »

What about vile? Or venal?

Oh verifiably

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I have to vent about this somewhere

My friends have a cat and they were gone for a bit so it got anxious and wasn't eating right away and hiding when they got back.

So in the past week they've taken this poor animal to the vets for emergency tests (bloodwork which came back fine, clear xrays, they've given it fluids...) like 4 times...

Like. Give the cat a day to calm the hell down maybe it'll eat!

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Gonna have to back Alex up on this one, I knew that

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I knew that, and it's still funny!

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    ALEXALEX

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I did not know that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular

It's funny because it's not even the first time she's had this realization, it just didn't stick. (And to be fair, I've probably heard it too and didn't remember)

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Abby’s reaction is INCREDIBLE

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

Film actors tend to have the highest-percentage chance of going full "...Why would you do that?"

Theatre actors aren't much better, it's just a different breed of bad ideas.

Although honestly I've known a few who might pull that sort of thing themselves. A friend of mine used to do all his preshow warm-up in the furnace room so he could properly prepare for his villain role.

Villain warm-up in furnace rooms is known as the Vernon Wells Method.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    My main takeaway from U Talkin Talking Heads to My Talking Head continues to be "wow david byrne is a shithead"

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    My main takeaway from U Talkin Talking Heads to My Talking Head continues to be "wow david byrne is a shithead"

same as it ever was

• MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    He made Tina Weymouth audition for the band again after they got signed by a label. And then again two more times, just for the hell of it.
    "Anytime David felt insecure, I was his whipping boy. Every time he couldn't come up with something, he'd beat me up about it. The whole time, it was so painful for me," she recounted to Bowman.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    this will always be what I remember about Byrne as a person

D03OpoeXcAY20Jb.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    David Byrne is a total weirdo and I can completely believe that he is a nightmare to work with.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I feel like there's got to be a different word than mugging for "Accosted by fourteen people"

Unless it was fourteen consecutive muggings, I guess

David Byrne just going “Uh-Oh!” to each one

Moriveth wrote: »
    David Byrne just going “Uh-Oh!” to each one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSxECJNYPuA

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Abby specifically addresses the Merritt K stuff on the pod and apologizes

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    is he?

apparently all of the songwriting credits on Remain In Light were supposed to be credited to Talking Heads, and then when the album came out the rest of the band was surprised to see that the credits listed David Byrne and Brian Eno as the writers on most (all?) of the songs

and then in this episode they talk about a project Byrne did with Eno and one of the session musicians from Remain in Light, who alleged that Byrne more or less pulled the exact same shit with him

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I feel like there's got to be a different word than mugging for "Accosted by fourteen people"

It's one of those mob muggings you read about. A mobgging.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Alright I'm way behind on Eidolon now too, but I just finished Rock episode 6. Even though it took me a million years to listen to for some reason, it's a really good one.
    "What is your conception of Chili?" "That she's really good at jumping on enemies."
    "Chili is a good friend." I love to hear that
    there was actually a scene with that alley cat, so even though I have no idea how that would come up again I'm glad the tie's still there
    "Chili definitely can read, she has read things so far, and that is terrifying in some ways to me."
    "You know when Dracula became president, and like, we had those series of movies called the Dark Universe?"
    "Sorry Virginia, we're having a moment. We're having a bro moment."
    "I think Cecilia is very pointedly looking out the window so you can't tell that she's crying a little bit."
    "I think Jack just groans slightly as you were bringing out your PSP." "Oh, sorry, he hates PSPs, he's always been a DS man."
    "Thus New Mexico was designated the Sword State, and Florida was designated the 12-Guage Shotgun State." "Oh my God, Luke, you spent so much time walking to that punchline."
    "Literally the only thing I know about Albuquerque is that one Weird Al song." "Yeah, that's true." "I thought real hard about making that into an Eidolon."
    "There's no laws, baby."
    "They're loaded with preservatives, and now so am I. I'll live forever." this is also my strategy
    "The prices are actually very affordable!" "We're rich, we don't care!"
    "Well you see, highway 40 is on the other side of this building, I've decided,"
    well I'm very quickly not liking this eidolon
    "She made my eidolon a chia pet!" more like eidolawn, am I right
    I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to be imagining all these things bursting out of people's bodies kind of FLCL style.
    Harvey eating food from the refrigerator that's part of him is the worst thing I've ever heard
    the good continue to die young
    "I wanna run over to the woman who's turning into a house." "Uh, she is a house."
    "Why are we only rolling good today on the bad decisions?"
    sometimes you just try to trick a bunch of houses
    "Buried in Bedrock is my Flintstones detective noir, thank you."
    "Harvey is wearing his jacket inside out and trying to convince Chili to buy a house?"
    "But Chili doesn't know enough about electricity to object." this is fucked up because Lexi knows everything about electricity
    "Luke, can I invoke the power of animal friendship?" "I think uh, I think no."
    "I can turn any pizza pie into a regular pie" with the power of 「That's Amore」
    oh this must be that voice I've heard about that Luke absolutely shouldn't have done

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Do you have a creeping anxiety regarding the upcoming ecologocial failure cascade? Do you suspect that you and those you care for may die horrid deaths engineered by ourselves? Tune in to the latest Worst Year Ever podcast to have your worst feelings supercharged!

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    After several of you posted that you thought Graduation was bad, I listened to yesterday's episode with a more critical ear, and no I still think it's good. Travis focusing on scenes that he thinks would be funny instead of plot is funny, the wild magic table is funny, cirque du soleil Argo is funny. Can't bring me down nerds

This discussion has been closed.