As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

WOOF WOOF: It's a Dog Thread

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Pair your phone to them and listen to their bellies!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Pair your phone to them and listen to their bellies!

I tried this and both of their bellies were quiet.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    that's a real shitty situation

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

It’s about to be

• StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    took the guy to a vet this morning, unfortunately hes not chipped. Ive currently got him in the back room with a blanket and some food and toys that Buddy refuses to play with but at some point im going to have to figure out what the next move here is. Im not really in a position to keep him long term and I feel bad leaving him alone in the back room anyway. Hopefully nextdoor or facebook pays off soonish.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Stationary wrote: »
    took the guy to a vet this morning, unfortunately hes not chipped. Ive currently got him in the back room with a blanket and some food and toys that Buddy refuses to play with but at some point im going to have to figure out what the next move here is. Im not really in a position to keep him long term and I feel bad leaving him alone in the back room anyway. Hopefully nextdoor or facebook pays off soonish.

Is there a VCA near you? They take pictures of every animal they ever see in any capacity, so if he's ever been to one they'd have a record.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Stationary wrote: »

congrats on your new dogue

769b76ab05a2b86d5f665cd7a8478b04.jpg

• StationaryStationary Registered User regular
    through a complete stroke of luck the owner was located and Riley was returned home safely. I was out walking Buddy mid day and happened to mention to someone I was walking by that I found a loose dog and she knew exactly what house he was from.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hooray Riley!

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Delighted to hear it! Losing a pet is a terrible experience, I hope they're all doing well

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    No earbuds in the dog poop today! Tis a mystery!

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Have you checked your own poop?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    this is exactly why I fundamentally distrust wireless earbuds

BahamutZERO.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    this is exactly why I fundamentally distrust wireless earbuds

To be fair losing them is 100 percent a design choice

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

How meticulously did you check

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

stop asking people that

Are ghost wipes good or bad

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

stop asking people that

... No

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

stop asking people that

... No

anyway to answer the question, yes

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

How meticulously did you check

I used a 15 pound electromagnet, so I don't think I could have missed. And I did test the other one to make sure it was magnetic enough to pull it, and it was.

You fool, dogs’ gi systems demagnetize stuff! That’s why they always align north-south when shitting

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    ou6cz8d8qpz0.jpeg

szni7x9dg3cc.jpeg

A few shots of Russell at the puppy park.

tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited September 2020
    Russell is waaay shorter than I imagined from pictures of him sitting down. Does he have telescopic legs?

Also that might be the smiliest dog face I've ever seen

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited September 2020
    Reo was an Extremely Bad Dog today and weaved around my legs as I opened the door to sprint out at a guy walking his dog, completely ignoring us calling him back. He didn't attack the guy or the dog but he was trying to play and, unfortunately, he play-growls a lot so the guy was yelling and pissed off and made things worse by dragging his dog around on the leash while yelling at me to grab Reo, who was following his dog being dragged around on the leash as I tried to grab him.

(future reference, if this happens to you, pick your dog up if you can)

I eventually snagged him and carried him back inside while apologizing. My wife went out to check if his dog was okay, and was fine (because of course, again, not attacking, just making awful sounds while trying to play) and the guy said yeah, the dog was just scared, and then apparently yelled something about "seeing this a lot on Judge Judy." But not in a threatening tone, just an odd conversation ender? I dunno, it was weird.

We're getting a trainer in because that's super not okay behavior, and even though he's never done this before it really can't happen again. Because yikes.

edit: the stress has faded and now I'm mostly just quite embarrassed.

3cl1ps3 on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    4eii5u8ormfq.jpg

Russell contemplates life at the beach.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mabel update: She hasn't had a pain/inflammation spike again, so they're hoping the last event was due to some ongoing muscle issues and a pinched nerve, and not some major crippling arthritis. To help prevent such things in future, she now has a regular physio routine, which my sister has to administer every morning. And a core component of the physio is 'lateral spine flexing', otherwise known as 'wobbling the dog.'

...I've been getting a lot of mileage out of this gif:

26su2reh1sfo.gif

“We’re just gonna hit up the dog park and the kibble factory, want us to bring you anything?”

lxcdecyn6zjk.jpeg

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I want a berner so badly.

Do their coats need much maintenance?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Hmm
    not as much as poodle coats, they’re pretty self-maintaining, but they do shed like crazy, especially during summer, so regular brushing helps keep the house less furry, And if their tails or ears get too long and shaggy they can get dreads. So nothing arduous, but not super low maintenance either.

edited October 2020
    It inspired me to have another look at potential upcoming berner litters. I was looking originally at a bernedoodle, and I just came across my closest breeder getting very cross about people asking about bernerdoodles.

Reminds of the woman who wouldn’t sell me isa brown chickens because I was going to let them breed with my Plymouth rock rooster. She was scandalised

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited October 2020
    Doodles are difficult, ethically. Apparently only one in four Labradoodles actually has the breed traits desired, they don't breed true. And crossing the poodle coat with other kinds of coat can result in horrible matting and ingrown hair problems.

Plus Berners are designed for cold weather, with thick double coats that they shed in summer, and I think Bernerdoodles often have overheating issues. That seems to be why most Berner owners I know get cross about them, at least.

tynic on
    tynic wrote: »
    Doodles are difficult, ethically. Apparently only one in four Labradoodles actually has the breed traits desired, they don't breed true. And crossing the poodle coat with other kinds of coat can result in horrible matting and ingrown hair problems.

Plus Berners are designed for cold weather, with thick double coats that they shed in summer, and I think Bernerdoodles often have overheating issues. That seems to be why most Berner owners I know get cross about them, at least.

Yes, this person was reposting a letter from the American kennel club that talked about the inability to actually breed for certain traits in these kind of cross breeds. Your points about the coats has made me feel guilty about making fun of them, but I also do give them a side eye since they have a financial incentive to restrict the breed as much as possible

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited October 2020
    I probably would have too a few years back, we always had rescue mutts growing up and it seemed like the purebred world was overly precious to say the least

But our dogs breeder runs her enterprise as a not for profit; she spends all proceeds trying to reinvigorate the genetic Berner pool (apparently they nearly vanished as a breed after WW2, and some pools of breeding stock still have a lot of recessives from that bottleneck). I definitely give the side eye to a lot of US Berner breeders too (breeders in general really, there's so many perverse incentives in the dog breeding world) but I do trust her opinion on breed health issues, and I know she's not keen on Bernerdoodles.

tynic on
    Well that’s good enough for me!

Now to wait *checks watch* about 2 years for my berner

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    I need to sort out my local dog situation. Damn covid leading to people working from home and suddenly having time to raise puppies and rehabilitate abandoned dogs, and emptying out the pounds ...

That happened to me! Hawke’s Bay and Bay of Plenty SPCA totally out of dogs (when I check at the end of September). happy problem to have, but I just assumed their websites were messed up. I called them and yup, totally out of dogs.

I was tempted by an offer of a poddy goat, but I still haven’t gotten over Dangleberries and that goat would 100% eat my garlic and I’ve been working on those fuckers since just after Covid happened

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Tef wrote: »

I was tempted by an offer of a poddy goat, but I still haven’t gotten over Dangleberries and that goat would 100% eat my garlic and I’ve been working on those fuckers since just after Covid happened

I.....yes

Tef wrote: »

I.....yes

Poddy means hand-raised, so usually an orphaned lamb/kid/calf or one that’s been rejected by it’s mother. Dangleberries was my favourite goat who had his life tragically cut short. It’s a story I’ve told a couple of times here on the forums, and I don’t feel like ruining peoples’ day by telling it again right now

bit.ly/2XQM1ke