As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Haven't played Iceborne yet, so did it fix the problem of the endgame content just being exhaustively hard to the point where grinding monsters feels like a nightmare?

I mean, I love a hard fight but when it gets to the point where you're starting to flinch at the idea of doing another one after barely getting one done many nerve wracking tries later.

Iceborne has a way better and satisfying difficulty curve than both MH4 and GU did with G-Rank. There is some very specific "bullshit" content, but those are limited to event quests and don't halt your progress. The main thing is that the content scales to player count, unlike G-Rank stuff being mostly for 4 players.

Well, for the most part. 3-person hunting parties are still screwed.

Also, I remember having a few friends just getting stonewalled by a certain elder dragon in the Iceborne main story that basically caused them to rage-quit for a week or longer.

I don't know your friends, but a lot of people do not like to hunt a monster multiple times, and try to progress through the story without changing their gear. Iceborne certainly shakes things up a lot by encouraging you to build sets for each fight, and people who refuse to do that usually get stonewalled.

The monster I'm talking about is
    Blackveil Hazak

Like, even if you gear specifically against it, it'll still hit like a truck. However, personally, coming right after that other elder dragon helped because it reinforced the concept of utilizing as much verticality in both attack and evasion with my insect glaive that most of the heavy hitting monster attacks could be avoided. But, judging from all the reactions to how I play IG, it's not likely to be a widely adopted hunting method.
    That fight is actually one of the easiest to counter with proper gear. Just slot in 3 points of divine protection (and of course miasma protection) and suddenly it's like fighting a regular monster. You can even go the extra mile to add health regen/health augments. But yes, judging from my experience doing that fight with randoms, a lot of people don't even bother to slot miasma protection, which is really easy to do. :/
    Or don't have divine/miasma protection gear/decorations.

Which, is going to be considerably easier to get in the very near future. But, even with those, it's still pretty easy to get 2-shot or stunned into a cart by that monster if you're not careful or take note of the attack tells.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    Seidkona wrote: »
    I humbly submit to the band this appeal to get back together.

I CANT WAIT

@Zanshinretsu @flammiebc

And you said it wasn't going to happen next year.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Nice to see Monster Hunter Stories getting more love. I figured it was dead after they didn't even bother releasing the 1.2 and 1.3 updates outside Japan. Would love to see it re-released on Switch with the missing content.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    They better keep great sword tackle in or imma be real salty

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    This looks cool

I'm still getting my ass handed to me by the sizzle kitties in Iceborne, tho.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I hate Alatreon so much

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Stories is a better pokemon than the last 3 pokemon games

I've been playing Stories for this exact reason. I was looking for a creature collection game that wasn't Pokemon and wasn't a gacha, and holy shit there's a game where you can ride the monsters?!

And there's a sequel coming out next year for Switch?!

https://youtu.be/2yu8J-J-Iz4

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm actually enjoying the Stories demo a lot more than I did the first time.

Holy shit though, the regular 3DS can barely run this thing. Can feel my 3DS gasping for air like a Great Jagras trying to run a marathon.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I'm actually enjoying the Stories demo a lot more than I did the first time.

Holy shit though, the regular 3DS can barely run this thing. Can feel my 3DS gasping for air like a Great Jagras trying to run a marathon.

Never owned a 3DS; I've been playing on my phone :razz:

• Options
    We're never getting a new weapon type, are we?

Whatevs, as long as I got a hammer and an HBG.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I mean, it hasn't been that long since the new weapons in 4? There is still a chance for Rise to have a new weapon.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Brody wrote: »

I mean, it hasn't been that long since the new weapons in 4? There is still a chance for Rise to have a new weapon.
    We need that scrapped Boomerang weapon concept.

An unconventional ranged weapon would be really cool.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

We need that scrapped Boomerang weapon concept.

An unconventional ranged weapon would be really cool.

I really want a Spear, but I guess that's possibly too close to an Insect Glaive.

Take a page from Dauntless and add fists, or a pair of pistols.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    tonfas

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Give me a whip.

(haven't played Toukiden 2 but theirs looks cool)

• Options
    Chakrams. Let me finally have a game outside of Kingdom of Amalur (and, I guess, League of Legends) where I can whip those bad boys around.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's hard to think of any weapon archetype not already covered.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Will we be able to fight while riding the doggo?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I've always said more games should have grappling hooks, so that Rise trailer was basically perfect imo

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    Will we be able to fight while riding the doggo?

I suspect that doggo is gonna be like Raider Ride from Iceborne, free ride to destination and you can yeet yourself off for a jump attack.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    That dog is just Repede from Tales of Vesperia. And that's awesome.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Seidkona wrote: »
    I humbly submit to the band this appeal to get back together.

I CANT WAIT

@Zanshinretsu @flammiebc

And you said it wasn't going to happen next year.

im so happy to be wrong!

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I guess i need to buy a switch now... which i guess isnt too bad because theyre half the price of a ps5. Disgaea and 2 monster hunter games being announced together is just too much.

• Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    The only MH game I've ever tried was the one of the Wii, and given that I didn't have fast internet at the time, I didn't really find myself getting into it as much as I wanted, especially when it came to traversing the game world.

Rise already looks like a much more fun experience. Being able to move about quickly via grappling hooks and doggos is a great way to make exploring more engaging. I'm definitely gonna give it a go.

• Options
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Yeah, it's hard to think of any weapon archetype not already covered.

The concept for the boomerang weapon is bonkers and I hope they implement it some day. It really looks like the Palamute is based off of this concept too.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I take it back, give me boomerang. That looks hilarious.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    "Should it be a normal boomerang?"

"No. This is Monster Hunter. It has to be atleast twice as big as the person holding it."

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I know this was announced for a Nintendo device and has less sophisticated areas and graphics.

But also I would like it on everything else with cross platform play, please.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    I know this was announced for a Nintendo device and has less sophisticated areas and graphics.

But also I would like it on everything else with cross platform play, please.
    I wouldn't hold out hope.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    "Should it be a normal boomerang?"

"No. This is Monster Hunter. It has to be atleast twice as big as the person holding it."

es1n35eld8c5.png

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    There was a boomerang weapon though. that's what the playable palico basically used in generations, or was it 4?

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    There was a boomerang weapon though. that's what the playable palico basically used in generations, or was it 4?
    Prowlers play completely differently from hunters.

If Hunters had a boomerang weapon, it would probably be pretty different in execution.

But I would love if it allowed you to play like a prowler. Love my boomer cat. <3

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    So being new to all of this MH stuff I'm just now catching up on the memes and welp

It's de tobi-chedecci

qsbhsj4tn15y.png

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Stories update:

Game won't let me have a hammer yet but it has taught me how to breed monster super soldiers.

I now have a lagombi that can use a Yian Kut-Ku's fire balls. I'm still mad at you for the first six hours of no hammer but this is nice too, game.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Describe MHW in a 10 second video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCgVZSWkKpE

• Options
    edited September 2020
    I have hundreds of hours in MHW on PS4 but thinking of switching to the PC version and grinding all the way back to HR100 and doing Iceborne for the first time.

*sigh*

I hate myself.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    I have hundreds of hours in MHW on PS4 but thinking of switching to the PC version and grinding all the way back to HR100 and doing Iceborne for the first time.

*sigh*

I hate myself.

Hey! I hate myself too!

~930 hours on PC Monster Hunter + Iceborne.

Grinding my way through my PS4 Monster Hunter + Iceborne account to get even close to similarly geared to my PC hunter.

After that, I'll have my Xbone hunter to work on.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I really don't regret moving over to PC, even if I stopped before getting most of the extra monsters. Still think about picking it back up at some point. I also appreciate the mods.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Unskippable cutscenes.

Dammit, Capcom..

Thought that would have been patched or something by now.