As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Name Of The Wind

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Name Of The Wind

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    I love Gabe's nightshirt

• Options
    noxumbranoxumbra Registered User regular
    I love Gabe's Nightshirt.

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Yeah I don't really know what they're talking about but 2020's definitely a moment, so I'm feeling it.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Next year will be the year I get a PS5, maybe 18 months. Whenever the fancy version and all the launch titles drop in price.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Woah an actual punchline in the 3rd panel.

• Options
    KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    I cant honestly say I've seen a single launch title yet that looked worthy of a pre order, I mean most of the stuff that's coming out was developed for Ps4 as well.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Solvent wrote: »
    Yeah I don't really know what they're talking about but 2020's definitely a moment, so I'm feeling it.

Basically both the PS5 and the RTX 3080 video card got bought up by bots yesterday before anyone else could get their hands on them, and now they're being flipped on Ebay for an insane amount of money.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    KagatoAC wrote: »
    I cant honestly say I've seen a single launch title yet that looked worthy of a pre order, I mean most of the stuff that's coming out was developed for Ps4 as well.

Demon's Souls Remastered is the only one that really got my attention. The others look good, if I can get a PS5 I may pick them up (I strongly suspect Sony didn't put all of them out at once, they'll be doing staggered releases of more into the market to keep hype up and to throw off botters), but that's the one that I'd be preordering if I had also gotten a PS5 preorder.

But also I just want to see if I can actually play Bloodborne without massive frame drops. Probably not, but it's worth a shot.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The Wii's announced library evaporated. The Wii U was the Wii U. The 360 had the RROD, which definitely wins the list. Xbox One early adopters had to pay an extra $100 for a piece of hardware that the system could never possibly be redesigned to run without which was stripped off a few months later. PS3 had two huge price drops in the first six months (not the normal price drops that every product saw but $200+ on some models before all the titles originally announced of launch even shipped). PS4 might be the smallest early adopter screwjob on this list but still had an early failure rate that was only kept from being a huge deal because it was still way better than the 360 and had the mercy to happen early so they didn't have to endlessly extend warranties to save face.

Early adopters get fucked, time and again. Sometimes worse than others (PS4 early adopters got off pretty easy), but there's always bitter, bitter tears as the biggest blows landed in the console wars are by the manufacturers on their fans (while the other fans laugh and cheer through the swollen lips and black eyes their manufacturer gave them).

Personally I predict a PS3 repeat here. They're not launching as expensive as the PS3, but they're still above the price they dropped it to to free it from the era of the, "lolsony," jokes.

Hevach on
  • Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm not sure one can sell a console for over $350, especially THIS year.

Also, the hardware of the consoles is probably the least important thing, I think. In the age of digital downloads and store platforms and whatnot, and when increase in visual quality is almost negligible gen-to-gen given that the greatest limiting factor is in artistic man-hours and program sophistication, the consoles themselves are little more than a means of advertising each company's store. Come to the grand re-opening of the Microsoft Games Library! The Sony Games Library circus is in town, with a brand new tent!

Bropocalypse on
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm not sure one can sell a console for over $350, especially THIS year.

Also, the hardware of the consoles is probably the least important thing, I think. In the age of digital downloads and store platforms and whatnot, and when increase in visual quality is almost negligible gen-to-gen given that the greatest limiting factor is in artistic man-hours and program sophistication, the consoles themselves are little more than a means of advertising each company's store. Come to the grand re-opening of the Microsoft Games Library! The Sony Games Library circus is in town, with a brand new tent!

IIRC, Epic did a whole tech demo showcasing how the crazy-fast read speeds from memory on the PS5 will allow them to save significant amounts of work-hours. If I understood it correctly, the point was that a large amount of the work that goes into high-end graphics is spent on compression, so that a whole level (or equivalent gameplay area) can be loaded into the RAM at one time, but the PS5 (and quite possibly also the new Xbox) can read their storage so fast that Epic's new engine can load things dynamically, allowing developers to cut out that entire step.

Basically, your larger point about diminishing returns on tech is a fair one, but this particular hardware generation will have a new development that should actually help to address the usual problems with advancing graphics.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Yeah I read about that happening on twitter and cag. Glad I'm not interested in purchasing either of those things right now. Agreed with one of the comments here that early adoption usually sucks. Outside rare cases like the ambassador for 3ds or console specific stuff like the better screen on vita. ps3 having bc/emulation bc was another but given how high the failure rate is on top of compatibility issues most are better off sticking with a ps2.

• Options
    UrazzUrazz Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think this console generation seems to not really improve graphics much more noticeably over the previous generation but they seem to be improving the load times and such so that it'll be easier for developers to do that level of graphics and still keep things running smooth. I definitely do not want to get a console at launch right now, they don't have any interesting launch titles right now. Most of them are coming out in 2021 and in the age of the Coronavirus, I think people are going to be hesitant to buy a new console if they can help it.