As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Trailers: A Brief History

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I still don't care about Dune and it all looked bog standard blockbuster movie, but can you at least leave Eclipse as is and not try to cover it?

I mean if anything Dune just proves you can remake overrated garbage as many times as you want.

that is.. uh.. quite the hot take

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Dune looks amazing.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I'm hype as fuck for Dune, which is interesting because the book isn't very close to my heart. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like it, and am currently rereading it (and not even as preparation for the movie). The world is super neat. I'm just not head-over-heels for the book.

but yeah I'm so fucking ready for Villeneuve's crack at an adaptation.

Denis Villeneuve is pretty good.. Blade Runner 2049 is just a great movie and pretty much a perfect sequel.

And Arrival is one of the best Sci-Fi movies in the past decade, especially since its not a special effects orgy, but a very slow moving movie. So, I can't wait to see Villeneuves take on Dune.

• Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    On a slightly different tone:
    https://youtu.be/1M8s0w1Fzm4

Hadn't heard of Greenland before seeing the trailer ahead of Tenet last night.

For a Gerard Butler film it actually looks pretty interesting. I'm a sucker for films giving a take on how society responds to the apocalypse (original Dawn of the Dead, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World etc9

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Read the first book and saw the original flick a couple times. Yup, that's Dune. Again. Not sure my complete indifference is what they were after, but I'm guessing it will do well if theatres are open and not killing people when it comes out. It's Dune sure, but it looks...IDK, like any hollywood tentpole flick I guess.

Nosf on
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I keep thinking I oughtta read Dune.

I've never seen the movie.

But this trailer looks good.

the first book is just so damn good

The later ones... less so. Frank Herbert ends up falling into the same trap that the movie adaptations of his books fall into, explaining everything to the point that the pacing grinds to a halt and it starts to get boring.

steam_sig.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    On a slightly different tone:
    https://youtu.be/1M8s0w1Fzm4

Hadn't heard of Greenland before seeing the trailer ahead of Tenet last night.

For a Gerard Butler film it actually looks pretty interesting. I'm a sucker for films giving a take on how society responds to the apocalypse (original Dawn of the Dead, Seeking a Friend for the End of the World etc9

I'm glad they've finally stopped trying to get Gerard Butler to force an American accent

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

The later ones... less so. Frank Herbert ends up falling into the same trap that the movie adaptations of his books fall into, explaining everything to the point that the pacing grinds to a halt and it starts to get boring.

They're still better then the KJA/Jr. books though.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I just pretend those don't exist. I read the first two or three of them, thought they were... bad. Then kept being surprised that new ones kept coming out.

It's been a long time, but I remember the Frank-written books being pretty good through God Emperor and the last two books being nigh incomprehensible.

Tomanta wrote: »

I just pretend those don't exist. I read the first two or three of them, thought they were... bad. Then kept being surprised that new ones kept coming out.

It's been a long time, but I remember the Frank-written books being pretty good through God Emperor and the last two books being nigh incomprehensible.

It's been a long time for me too. I didn't think they were bad, but they weren't Dune. (Don't get me wrong, they definitely weren't good, but there's a range between good and bad).
    It felt more like Star Wars fanfic set in the Dune universe by someone who only read the cliff notes on Dune.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Freaky

It's Freaky Friday but with a serial killer played by Vince Vaughn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNX-wzv89UQ

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That’s actually a great hook for a horror comedy. Happy Death Day was more fun than I expected, too, so this might be something neat.

OneAngryPossum on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I am happily surprised with that trailer, let Vince Vaughn win the oscar for that role since he was denied it for Brawl in Cell Block 99. Vaughn reminds me of Jack Black in Jumanji where he just fucking takes over every scene.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Man, ain't nobody know who the Jedi Council is, eh? :D I guess it makes sense.

Just inject that shit into my veins.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Athenor wrote: »

The Jedi council was 30-40+ years a galaxy spanning dictatorship with complete control over communications, and a galactic civil war ago.

On the other hand, Our Mandalorian survived the Clone Wars, you'd think he'd know something about Jedi, if only from the Mandalorian lore.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular

The Jedi council was 30-40+ years a galaxy spanning dictatorship with complete control over communications, and a galactic civil war ago.

On the other hand, Our Mandalorian survived the Clone Wars, you'd think he'd know something about Jedi, if only from the Mandalorian lore.

I swear, the decision to make the gap between the clone wars and A New Hope out to only be like 20 years was such a limiting factor in retrospect.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch

I swear, the decision to make the gap between the clone wars and A New Hope out to only be like 20 years was such a limiting factor in retrospect.

Yup, unfortunately it was necessary once they decided that Vader was Luke's father.
    It was either have the Clone Wars end in the last 20 years, or answer some uncomfortable questions about fucking in a full body prosthetic suit and respirator.

Damn it Lucas, why couldn't you have seen the future and made the movies with the benefit of 40 years of hindsight?

Yup, unfortunately it was necessary once they decided that Vader was Luke's father.
    It was either have the Clone Wars end in the last 20 years, or answer some uncomfortable questions about fucking in a full body prosthetic suit and respirator.

Damn it Lucas, why couldn't you have seen the future and made the movies with the benefit of 40 years of hindsight?

I maintain that Disney would do well to do a re-imagining/relaunch of Star Wars. the setting is so amazing, I think the trailer shows my favorite bits - this mix of Western/Firefly and all these iconic ships flying around. But... oof. Having a hero's journey narrative times 3 is a bit of an issue.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    I dunno, works when you consider that the Empire had a presence in most of the galaxy and were actively hunting down Jedi. That would mean that most information about them is imperial propaganda and the only ones that knew different are small groups of freedom fighters who probably haven't even seen a Jedi themselves.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i hope they focus more on the main character (gina caranos arms) in season 2

obF2Wuw.png

I maintain that Disney would do well to do a re-imagining/relaunch of Star Wars. the setting is so amazing, I think the trailer shows my favorite bits - this mix of Western/Firefly and all these iconic ships flying around. But... oof. Having a hero's journey narrative times 3 is a bit of an issue.

Personally, I love the idea of focusing on stories set in the Star Wars universe but are only tangentially related to the Rebellion/Empire. Some of my favorite stories are from the old "Tales of..." books, just showing a day in the life of random background aliens as the main characters pass through. They made the setting feel bigger because they weren't focused on the same half dozen people.
    I mean, they've got an entire galaxy to play in, why are we focusing for 10 movies on the Skywalkers and close friends?
    Give me a Fast and Furious movie set in the outer rim on hover bikes, swoops and speeders where the only connection to the larger universe is a news broadcast in the background complaining about the destruction of the Death Star.
    Give me Romeo and Juliet in space, with a Jedi Padawan falling for a Sith Apprentice, or two conflicting criminal syndicates as the feuding houses.
    Karate Kid where it turns out that space Miyagi was a jedi that escaped the purge and subtly trains her student in the Jedi ways of conflict resolution, awareness of the force and also teaching them to fight. Not necessarily training them to use the force, but just general awareness of it.
    Space Moby Dick. Sith Apprentice goes mad hunting a space whale.

Attn: Disney; I will accept payment in the form of Taco Bell food vouchers.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    So, what's the deal with the not-a-jedi monk in Rogue One? Was he able to use the force? Was he a force sensitive who slipped through the Empire's nets? Would he have been trained as a jedi otherwise?

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Mandalorian is like Cobra Kai in being one of the only out of the blue, you expect one thing but it's the total opposite really good shows in recent years. As someone who was never a big star wars fan and the recent trilogy pretty much killed any spark in it for me, seeing just a simple space western was refreshing. Probably because the lack of Jedi in it and just lightly touching on the force with Baby Yoda made it work. Which is funny, the biggest thing in the Star Wars world is the thing that consistently ruins it, to me anyway.

Granted now everyone at Disney has seen the success it has so they're going to get all their hands on it and tear it apart to get credit, but maybe Favreau can keep it protected for one more season before the wolves take him down.

Nobeard wrote: »
    So, what's the deal with the not-a-jedi monk in Rogue One? Was he able to use the force? Was he a force sensitive who slipped through the Empire's nets? Would he have been trained as a jedi otherwise?

I don't know if it's still canon (or if it ever was), but I was under the impression that he was a force sensitive, but one not powerful enough to be trained as a Jedi after he was tested. So, instead of returning him to his family, he was indoctrinated into the Jedi order in a support role.
    Some of them would become farmers using their minimal gifts to raise food for the temple, some probably mechanics or temple maintenance crew, depending on where their abilities lay. He was sent to a monastery overlooking one of the largest supplies of khyber crystals in the known galaxy. I'd guess that probably means he was just barely under the cutoff for the full ride Jedi scholarship.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I mean the galaxy must have been chock full of children who were "too old" to be trained, according to the Jedi Council

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I thought his deal was just that he was a believer in the Force. A worshipper if not a practicer.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I thought his deal was just that he was a believer in the Force. A worshipper if not a practicer.

It's not outright said, but the stuff he pulls off seems very force sensitive at times.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

It's not outright said, but the stuff he pulls off seems very force sensitive at times.

The Force controls all things. Except when those things are bad. Then the Force was on vacation

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

I don't know if it's still canon (or if it ever was), but I was under the impression that he was a force sensitive, but one not powerful enough to be trained as a Jedi after he was tested. So, instead of returning him to his family, he was indoctrinated into the Jedi order in a support role.
    Some of them would become farmers using their minimal gifts to raise food for the temple, some probably mechanics or temple maintenance crew, depending on where their abilities lay. He was sent to a monastery overlooking one of the largest supplies of khyber crystals in the known galaxy. I'd guess that probably means he was just barely under the cutoff for the full ride Jedi scholarship.

Honestly the way the armorer refereed to Jedi as a band of enemy sorcerers does not seem very incorrect. There are a number of other force sensitive witch doctors/shaman/sorcerers in the galaxy that with some limited force sensitivity/access can still do some impressive things such as the night sisters. The jedi saw themselves as this unique and special thing but its very possible that others did not agree and just considered them like a sect of force users that pop up here and there.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I mean a big part of Mandalorian history in Ledgends and Canon is fighting wars against the Jedi/Republic and losing. Might just be sore losers.

And the new canon seems to have added a lot of force worshiping cults and monastic societies. I think that's what the monk in R1 was. The stuff about Jedi farmers is old Ledgends lore I think.

All i care about is Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center lore.
    j3qq2bfj2i1w.png

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WandaVision

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US63JfL1tIQ

100% here for this.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    Kitty divorced Red? When did that happen?

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I have no idea what is going on with that show.

DanHibiki wrote: »
    Kitty divorced Red? When did that happen?

Red's anger issues, his drinking, his endless overworking, refusal to turn off and relax now and then, being unwilling to change his diet...
    It was really just a matter of time, I'm afraid.

edited September 2020
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I have no idea what is going on with that show.

And I want to watch SO MUCH MORE OF IT.

Edit: I hope they are giving it a decent budget. I see a lot of TV cheats in there, but at the same time the Mandalorian proved they could do cinematic at scale. I want that.

Athenor on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Kitty who? Red who?

50433.png?1708759015
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Kitty who? Red who?

That 70's show.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
This discussion has been closed.