As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] So many awesome new parts that no one can buy. %$*! scalpers.

GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what?Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
Welcome to Part Shoppers Anonymous the Penny Arcade Computer Build Thread!
(this OP is shamelessly stolen/modified from our missing overlord alecthar (via Jebus314, and minor incident, and BouwsT).

Tl;dr:
We do our best to provide advice about component choice, shopping for components, assembling the PC itself, and even a little bit of troubleshooting for new builds (if you're having issues). To my knowledge no forumer has ever left with a non functioning build. We'll get you there! All at a measly 250% of your original budget!

Acronyms!

PC - Personal Computer
CPU - Central Processing Unit (Computer's Brain)
GPU - Graphics Processing Unit (Computer's Muscles)
PSU - Power Supply (Computer Power Plant)
MOBO - Mother Board (Computer Skeleton / Nervous System
RAM - Random Access Memory (Computer's Short Term Memory)
HDD - Hard Disk Drive (Computer's Long Term Memory, with high capacity but low speed)
SSD - Solid State Drive (Computer's Long Term Memory, with low(er) capacity but high speeds.

"Why should I build my own computer when I could just have a bunch of underpaid assembly line workers do it for me?"
Knowledge: Building your own computer is a learning experience. To start with, you'll probably end up doing a lot of research on the current state of consumer computing hardware, along with learning a bit about how various computer components work within a complete system. You'll also gain valuable knowledge about the actual assembly of a PC, something that definitely comes in handy if you find yourself doing family tech support.
  • Quality: PCs from companies like Dell and HP are built cheaply. Sometimes this isn't a huge issue. Intel, for example, doesn't sell a separate "from the junk pile" line of CPUs. Hard drives are generally of fairly consistent quality among manufacturers. However, depending on the PC, you may end up with a fairly anemic, or even cruddy, generic PSU, along with motherboards that are generally pretty limited in their flexibility and feature-set, and don't even get me started on the cases they use. Building your own PC gives you complete control over the quality of the components you use.
  • Flexibility: A prebuilt PC sometimes comes with proprietary components, or in a case with a proprietary form factor with a weird sized PSU. When you build your own PC, you can select the components with an eye towards whatever degree of flexibility or upgrade path you deem appropriate. Because retail component design adheres to certain standards, you end up with a more modular system that can be changed more easily.
  • Value: When it comes to a PC with real horsepower, manufacturers believe we're willing to pay a serious premium. Building your own Gaming (or Workstation) PC almost always saves you significant amounts of money.

With all that said, I want to highlight a very important point. If all you need to do with a computer is browse the internet, consume media, and use productivity software like Microsoft Office, there's admittedly little reason not to buy a prebuilt machine. Because of the economy of scale, you will almost always get a higher spec'd computer for cheaper if your budget is less than $400 or so. Quality can still sometimes be an issue, and you won't gain any knowledge, but cheap computers are probably a better deal prebuilt.

"You've convinced me to build my own, what's inside the box again?"
In general there are 8 main components to a PC.
  • CPU: This is the central processing unit. It is the heart of your PC build and is what controls how quickly your computer can perform various tasks. There are only 2 manufacturers (AMD and Intel), and these days Intel is dominating. As of writing this OP, AMD has released their new Ryzen CPU's, which are presenting some much needed competition in the CPU space! Pro-tip, over the years CPUs are generally tracked by their architecture (which alludes to how they are designed) and each unique architecture is given a name (Newest are Skylake for Intel, and Ryzen for AMD). There are a multitude of different specs for CPUs, but it's nigh impossible to use them for comparison across manufactures and often times even across different architectures. Generally you will want to go to a place like Tom's Hardware and look actual measured comparisons between the chips to decide... If you're looking for high end performance, and the best bang for your buck, you will also want to look out for unlocked CPUs that allow for overclocking. These days it is a very painless process, and can easily give you a 10-30% performance boost for the cost of a bigger heatsink. For intel CPUs, model numbers that end in a K do not come with a heatsink (as you'll likely be buying a larger one any way) and allow overclocking.
    AnandTech's Q1 2017 CPU Comparisons
    Feel free to ask for current recommendations.
  • GPU: This is the graphical processing unit. As the name implies it controls how pretty things will look, and what games you can play. The first important decision for your GPU is onboard versus discrete. These days Intel and AMD are offering combined CPU/GPU chips that are really pretty good. For everything besides gaming and graphic intensive work, these combined chips offer the best performance at the cheapest price. If you're building a HTPC (home theater PC) for example this is definitely the way to go. AMD may lead on the higher end, as their APU line (their terminology for the combined CPU/GPU) can have better GPU performance with similar CPU performance than the corresponding Intel products. A top of the line AMD APU will be good enough to stream any video content, watch blurays, and even play some older games at moderate settings...
    If, however, you are looking to game or do a lot of video editing/other graphics intensive work, then a discrete graphics card is the way to go. For the purposes of gaming, the rest of your system is mainly an effort to get out of your video card's way. The price of a solid video card reflects that; for gaming PCs the video card will be the most expensive single component you purchase. For discrete GPUs there are again 2 manufacturers, AMD (formally ATI) and Nvidia. Unlike CPUs the GPU race has been a bit stale for well over a year, but we're always hoping for better competition to allow for good consumer choice! To make things more confusing AMD and Nvidia don't actually sell graphics cards themselves, instead the sell the designs (or base hardware) to other companies who build them and sell them to consumers. This means that for any given GPU model (say the Nvidia GTX 1060), there will be several different vendors selling that exact model (like this GTX 1060 sold by EVGA). Different vendors can have different coolers, different amounts of overclocking, and different build quality, so be careful with who the exact card is coming from. Feel free to ask for current recommendations.
  • Motherboard: The motherboard is the complex circuitry that connects all of your fancy parts together. Buying a motherboard is all about quality, compatibility, and options. The two most important compatibility issues are getting the right socket for your CPU, and getting the right size for your case. Whatever CPU you are interested in getting should have a corresponding socket number (like LGA 1151 for Kaby Lake Intel based CPUs), and you absolutely must get a motherboard with that socket. Motherboards also generally come in a few different sizes (or form factors), with the most common being: ATX, micro-ATX, mini-ATX, and mini-ITX. The key here is to make sure that you Case specifically says it is compatible with the form factor you choose. For quality purposes you generally want to stick to the main manufacturers: MSI, ASUS, EVGA, ASRock, and Gigabyte. Finally, it's all about the options. Make a list of everything that you want to hook up to your PC and what type of connection it needs (USB 3.0 vs 2.0, HDMI vs DVI vs Display Port, eSADA, ect...) and find yourself a motherboard that has all the necessary connections. Other things to consider are SLI/crossfire compatibility (which allows you to run 2+ GPUs simultaneously for Nvidia or AMD cards respectively), PCI-E slots (quantity and bandwidth per slot typically described as 8x or 16x), CPU overclocking compatible, onboard GPU compatible, soundcard capabilities, and ethernet capabilities. Feel free to ask for current recommendations.
  • Memory: This is often referred to as the RAM or Random Access Memory, and it controls how many things you can do at once. These days there are basically 3 rules to follow when buying RAM. (1) Buy DDR4: Only legacy sockets from AMD and Intel support DDR2 and DDR3 is quickly being phased out. This is a compatibility check with the motherboard so always look at the motherboard specs to verify, but almost everything currently sold these days is DDR4. (2) Don't overthing the RAM speed (2400 MHz can be had for cheap). Slower and you may seem some changes in performance for a cheaper price, and faster does NOT provide a good performance per dollar value. Timings largely mean nothing, and should be completely ignored for your first build. (3) Buy 8-16 GB and as many DIMMS (or sticks) as channels on your motherboard. So if your motherboard supports 2 channel memory, get 2 sticks of 8GB Ram (for 16GB total). RAM is cheap so lean towards more rather than less, but for most people anything more than 32 GB will be wasted (even 32 GB+ is only for most power users, or insane amounts of multi-tasking). Feel free to ask for current recommendations.
  • Hard Disk Drive/Solid State Drive: This is where all of your software and data is stored. If you're budget can swing it the most effective setup is to use a smaller SSD (240-500 GB) for your programs and OS, and a larger HDD (1-4 TB) for media storage. Not all SSDs and not all HDDs are created equal. For HDDs the spindle speed (typically 5400, 7200, and 10000 RPMs) dictates how quickly you will be able to access your data, with higher RPMs giving faster access. For purely data storage the speed tends not to matter that much, but for programs/games loading will be much faster. Any SSD will be far quicker than even the best HDDs. Most importantly for both you want something that is reliable, so check the comments/reviews for any particular model. Just keep in mind that every single model ever created will have some small number of drives that fail and those will be the bulk of the people leaving comments. As a general rule, Samsung 850 EVO SSD's, and Wester Digital brand HDD's are generally the golden rule. Feel free to ask for current recommendations.
  • PSU: This is the power supply unit, and as the name implies it powers your PC. There are 3 basic factors to consider for a PSU: modular/non-modular, wattage, and efficiency. A non-modular PSU will have all of the cables permanently attached and can be a pain to keep organized compared to being able to remove unnecessary cables. Wattage is the amount of power your PSU can supply and you generally want your computer to run close to but not at the maximum rating for your PSU. To see what that would be before you buy your PSU, just find any online wattage calculator, put in the parts you want to use, and viola. Finally there is the efficiency, which is rated as Bronze, Silver, Gold, etc and indicate how efficiently the PSU takes your wall power and converts it to useable power for your PC. Generally Seasonic (and PSU's build by Seasonic and sold under different names) are the golden standard here on the forum. Feel free to ask for current recommendations.
  • Case: This is where you put all those things above. Don't underestimate the importance of a good case. A Good cable management system and layout can make building a PC a vastly superior experience, as well as giving longevity to your build through superior heat management. Also that shit should look badass. The only requirement though is that you find a case that is large enough to house all of your components (this is not a trick, often times GPUs, PSUs, certain types of memory, and some optical drives will not fit in a particular case), and can accept the form factor for the motherboard used. Feel free to ask for current recommendations.
  • Bling Factor LED lighting is critical to PC modding, and should be included in every case and component where possible.

I've done extensive research into LEDs (I went to college for this), I'll go ahead and quote an old post I made regarding my findings:
    LEDs play a vital role in any PC build! In case anyone doesn't know, no PC is complete without an associated set of colored LEDs. However, it is very important that you choose your LED colors carefully, as each one has specific advantages:
    Red LEDs are very powerful. They make your PC run much, much faster. If you are looking to get a performance boost but can't afford higher quality parts or are unable to overclock, red LEDs are the way to go. Just make sure to beef up your cooling levels, because they will make your PC run much hotter. All of the top MLG Pro gamers use red LEDs (including myself).

Blue LEDs are great. They make your machine run much cooler. If your ambient temperatures are on the rise and you can't afford spending $20 a piece on high quality Noctua fans or $Idaho on expensive watercooling setups, blue LEDs are your best bet. I once knew a guy who had so many blue LEDs that his case pulled double duty as a minifridge. Not even joking. We'd keep the root beer in there during LAN parties.

Green LEDs are great because they make your system use significantly less AC power to run, thus lowering both your electricity bill and your carbon footprint. A set of high quality green LEDs surrounding a 1000w PSU will bring its power draw down to as low as 4-500w (not counting the extra power used to run the green LEDs).

White LEDs are (on paper) the best option, as they combine the benefits of red, blue, and green LEDs. Be very careful though!, white LEDs aren't very common because the light gives you cancer.

Legends tell of the fabled Purple LED, but so far they have eluded me. Could such a thing really exist? While evidence suggesting the existence of purple LEDs has been found in ancient Sumerian ruins, my years of investigation and research have led me to the conclusion that purple LEDs are a myth that exist solely in the delusional babblings of men who have gone mad while searching for them. The are the El Dorado of the PC building world.

You might think to yourself "Why wouldn't I combine LED colors in my case and gain multiple advantages without the drawbacks of white LEDs?". In the early fifties, when PC LEDs were still in their infancy, LED-combination experimentation using a series of lead sheets and mirrors appeared promising (aside from a few tragic mishaps due to the ineffective safety measures prevalent in laboratories at the time), unfortunately combining LED colors has proven impossible, as the effects simply cancel each other out.

Sure, some people prefer a "pure" PC and might not use LEDs at all, considering them to be "cheating", but you gotta ask yourself - if you were an Olympic athlete, and someone said you could inject LEDs to make your performance significantly better, would that be "cheating"? Of course not.

Hope this helps.
  • Other: This is just a list of other parts to keep in mind, that you may or may not need. Additional fans, optical drive, soundcard, WiFi card (or USB dongle), monitor, keyboard, mouse, cables (fan cables, SATA cables, ect...), aftermarket CPU heatsink (necessary for overclocking), and zipties (or other cable management device). Feel free to ask for current recommendations.
"Ok I know what a PC is now, but where do I start?"
Here are a few questions you should ask yourself when you're ready to start researching parts for your new PC. Once you have some answers to these questions, post them in this thread and others will jump in to fill in the gaps and get you well on your way to completing your order! Don't be intimidated if you don't know any of the answers though, as any questions (no matter how basic) are always welcome. In general though, the more information we have about what you want and how much you're willing to pay to get it, the better the advice you'll get.
  • What kind of computer do you need? The 4 basic categories are: standard gaming PC, HTPC, server, and a serious Workstation.
  • What's your budget for this project?
  • What needs to be included in that budget? Do you need a monitor, keyboard and mouse to go with it? Are there components from a previous PC that you are carrying over to the new build? What about an operating system (like Windows 10)?
  • What are your performance needs? For games, what resolution do you game at, and what kind of performance do you want to see there? For professional tasks, what are you doing and what kind of numbers would you like to see?
  • Do you have any partiality towards specific manufacturers, like Intel/AMD, AMD/NVIDIA, or perhaps specific vendors?
  • Do you have any specific needs? That is, are you looking for quiet operation, small form factor, significant upgrade-ability, or other specific features?

"I'm totes ready to buy, but everyone keeps posting this PC partpicker thing. Where do I actually get my stuff?"
US
There are a number of solid online purchasing options available to US consumers. My personal favorite is Newegg, though there are other options like Tiger Direct, and (of course) Amazon. Brick and mortar buyers can find some components at big box retailers like Best Buy and Fry's, though I've found that prices from online retailers are significantly better than these stores. The exception to that seems to be Microcenter, which often has great deals on processors and motherboards in particular.
Canada
Some more recent opinions:
Re: first post -- for the 'Canadian shops' bit, you should add memoryexpress.com to that list (not sure how they are for mail order, but as an in-the-flesh shop, at least, they're great).
BouwsT wrote:
I used Memory Express for my last build, they are actually really great so far for their mail orders. Also, their price beat is stronger than newegg.ca (10% of difference, rather than just a straight match). I would definitely recommend them for Canadian buyers, at least to check out.
Other Links:
Amazon.ca
Newegg.ca
UK
Online retailers in the UK include Ebuyer, which apparently has a wide selection of components, Novatech, which also does custom systems and apparently has some fans in UK PC forums, and dabs.com, a site recommend by our very own Big Isy, who cited their frequent free shipping/free game deals.
Australia
Our very own Tef put together a very thorough buying guide for Australians:
Tef wrote:
Online retailers (Australia-wide)
  • www.pccasegear.com - Based in Melbourne, these guys are as close to an Australian Newegg as you will find. PCcasegear are known for their reliable service and good RMA (returning faulty equipment) policies. They have a somewhat decent range of equipment, for Australia and while generally pretty cheap, there certainly are cheaper options out there. For people in Melbourne, you can also visit their store front and pick up the parts personally.
  • www.msy.com.au - A cheaper alternative to PCcasegear that is still reasonably reliable. MSY does suffer from a limited range and volume of stock on occasion. As of October 2011, they do not have a delivery system in place (in progress, according to MSY) so you will have to pick up the parts from their brick and mortar shops. Fortunately, they have numerous store fronts around the country, so finding one nearby shouldn't be too hard to do. Be aware that when you're shopping online make sure you set your store location to the store that you'll be picking the parts up from. MSY filter their displayed products based on what shop you've selected and it's very annoying to get to the checkout and realise all your parts are only available in far north Queensland.
Other Australia-based Online Retailers
www.mwave.com.au www.megabuy.com.au www.umart.com.au - These are some other notable budget PC shops. They'll ship anywhere domestically and are usually competitively priced. Do note that they're budget resellers (particularly in the case of megabuy) and their customer support and shipping status/timeframes may not always be as great as what you'll find from MSY/PCcasegear.
International Purchasing
An option exists to purchase parts overseas and ship them in yourself, thus avoiding the mark-up from Aussie vendors. www.priceusa.com.au is the only vendor the writer has experience with and therefore is the only one this writer is prepared to recommend with confidence. There are several caveats associated with international orders, namely that support/returns will be more difficult due to distances and there is a potential for longer lead-times on orders (though this is not always the case). Recommendations for overseas shipping would be that you don't order cases and possibly PSUs from overseas, as the associated hikes in shipping costs make this expensive (it should go without saying that you should do your own research on this point though, as it may be more cost effective depending on where you can buy domestically).
Purchase Support and Services
www.staticice.com.au and www.ausprices.com are two good price comparison sites that you can use to find who's selling what and for how much. The former is probably the highest quality of the two; just make sure you're looking at the Australian version (i.e. .au at the end)

While ostensibly a forum for PC overlockers, forums.overclockers.com.au has a surprisingly good quality sub forum relating to the state of PC part purchasing in Australia. They are a good location for solid advice on retailers (after PA, of course!).
Failing all that, send a mention or a PM towards Tef or chrishallett83, both Australian forumers, who are usually more than happy to offer advice.
And here is a handy flowchart!
zzwoPOS.png

Sagroth wrote: »
Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
GnomeTank on

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So how 'bout those GPUs folks, crazy, am I right?

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    To continue this from the last thread:
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I notice on various sites (Best Buy, for one) 3080s are starting to pile up 1 star reviews now from people angry they couldn't nab one...
    I think the GN video where he talks about people having an almost unhealthily angry reaction to not being able to get a piece of consumer hardware is on point.

It's a video card. The bot scalpers didn't just jack supplies of insulin.
    Didn't GN also hype up the 3080?
    If by "its a pretty good product and mostly lives up to the claims" you mean hype up, sure.
    I'm saying that participating in the hype machine then turning around with "y u mad bro?" is a shitty look.

I think it's an incredible stretch to say Steve was "participating in the hype machine". Was he supposed to just not report on the 3080 at all? He's had an incredibly balanced, wait and see, approach to these cards every time he's talked about them. The only way he could be less a part of the hype machine would have been to simply not report on them, which would've been kind of silly don't you think?

His messaging and hype level have been super consistent, and very much on the tame side. I think he has every right to call people out. I'm not sure I fully agree with him, but if anyone has had the consistent messaging around this and is in a position to call people out for being irrationally angry about a consumer good it's Steve.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I notice on various sites (Best Buy, for one) 3080s are starting to pile up 1 star reviews now from people angry they couldn't nab one...
    I think the GN video where he talks about people having an almost unhealthily angry reaction to not being able to get a piece of consumer hardware is on point.

If by "its a pretty good product and mostly lives up to the claims" you mean hype up, sure.
    I'm saying that participating in the hype machine then turning around with "y u mad bro?" is a shitty look.

I think it's an incredible stretch to say Steve was "participating in the hype machine". Was he supposed to just not report on the 3080 at all? He's had an incredibly balanced, wait and see, approach to these cards every time he's talked about them. The only way he could be less a part of the hype machine would have been to simply not report on them, which would've been kind of silly don't you think?

His messaging and hype level have been super consistent, and very much on the tame side. I think he has every right to call people out. I'm not sure I fully agree with him, but if anyone has had the consistent messaging around this and is in a position to call people out for being irrationally angry about a consumer good it's Steve.

Agreed.

It's a massive launch that's going to be popular regardless, and they did some really good technical breakdowns of the cards as well as architecture explanations.

I'm really curious to see where GN rode the hype machine all the way to clicktown and was disingenuous with their videos.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    There's no universe where GN "hypes" anything. They are annoyingly flat on recommendations unless it's for one of their charities or GN merchandise.
    Everyone else though? Yep.

Good product is good and most videos were overwhelmingly positive so I'm not shocked to see the demand.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You could tell demand was going to be bonkers here as soon as the reveal stream happened and everyone lost their mind over the specs. I can't remember who said it, but we essentially have everyone looking to upgrade their card now, which is not generally the case for a new generation of GPUs.

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

It's not a stretch, it's simple cause and effect. He's participating in the media blitz hyping up the 3080. Yes, it's his job to chase trends and follow the algorithm and get those clicks (like and subscribe!). But it's not his job to punch down on people that feel burned by the media blitz he participated in.

Sure, it's not insulin. Nobody's gonna die from not getting a 3080. But if it's something you were looking forward to - which, this is 2020, anything good to look forward to is a welcome reprieve - then not being able to get one, having the entire stock sell out in moments, then seeing it all on eBay for 2x+ the price? It's shit. It's OK to be mad about that shit. It's OK to post angrily to a message board or Reddit about that shit.

To follow the simile: folk upset about not being able to get a 3080 aren't killing anyone.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    lol wut

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Everyone here was salivating and I'm pretty sure a couple of you wanted to buy it even though you were already CPU capped for a 1080 Ti and only have 1080p monitors.

Maybe I'm too old now but I just don't understand the hype if it doesn't translate into real changes into my day-to-day. At this point I'm playing like, Battlemech and Heroes of the Storm, so this latest release is almost meaningless to me and I actually have a 144Hz 1440p monitor.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I mean shit one of the flight throttle quadrants sold out in seconds the same way because a popular youtuber did a review when flight sim came out and recommended it and the same shit happened with the scalpers

This is just the future I guess.

Fuck idiots who buy from scalpers though, they just make it worse for them and everyone else. Stick them with the thing.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I'm very curious on how a site is supposed to review hardware without "media blitzing."

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Watching the video, I don't think GN is really even calling out most people who are just disappointed at not being able to get a video card. He's calling out the people being actively shitty about it and lashing out at everyone.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to be disappointed that you couldn't get something you were looking forward to when you thought you might be able to get it. I was probably somewhat more unreasonably disappointed yesterday than I am today, but still fairly bummed about it.

Anyway, it sounds like it should continuously keep getting back in stock. Partner AIB's didn't feel they had enough time beforehand to get ramped up, but should be ramped up and producing now and getting stuff out regularly.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Well I, for one, am angry. I'm angry at Nvidia for going to market with too little of a product that they hyped to the sky, angry at scalpers for being the worst kind of assholes, and angry at storefronts that did nothing to alleviate either issue.

I'm not, like, pitchforks-and-torches mad. But I'm still mad. Maybe actually more frustrated/disappointed now, really. It's 2020, so it's hard to be sure anymore. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Everyone here was salivating and I'm pretty sure a couple of you wanted to buy it even though you were already CPU capped for a 1080 Ti and only have 1080p monitors.

Maybe I'm too old now but I just don't understand the hype if it doesn't translate into real changes into my day-to-day. At this point I'm playing like, Battlemech and Heroes of the Storm, so this latest release is almost meaningless to me and I actually have a 144Hz 1440p monitor.

I used it as an excuse to build a new gaming rig, as it's been many years since my last upgrade of any sort. I assumed the launch would be somewhat well managed given all parties have a history of releasing products to massive demand. Apparently not, so all the unforced errors in the launch are just annoying as a consumer.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I'm hoping they have their shit figured out by the launch of the 3070 on October 15th. I too am building a whole new gaming rig since my last build was in 2014 and I'm due for something new. I'm slowly accumulating all the components and I'm really hoping I can get in on the ground floor for the 3070s.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Well I, for one, am angry. I'm angry at Nvidia for going to market with too little of a product that they hyped to the sky, angry at scalpers for being the worst kind of assholes, and angry at storefronts that did nothing to alleviate either issue.

I'm not, like, pitchforks-and-torches mad. But I'm still mad. Maybe actually more frustrated/disappointed now, really. It's 2020, so it's hard to be sure anymore. :razz:

Also they had an extra 6 months here since they were supposed to release back in March.

How mad I'll be is going to depend the supply. If these cards are hard to get at MSRP for the next 6 months, then I'll be mad. If this is just the initial launch pains and they go away by next month, then no biggy.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hey, so did anyone actually get a 3080?

Makes me wonder if the Ryzen 3 launch is also going to be a shitshow, since those are hotly anticipated as well.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    3clipse wrote: »
    You could tell demand was going to be bonkers here as soon as the reveal stream happened and everyone lost their mind over the specs. I can't remember who said it, but we essentially have everyone looking to upgrade their card now, which is not generally the case for a new generation of GPUs.

Probably was to late in the cycle to increase production that much by that point.

The 3080s, Playstations and Xboxs will come. We are facing a way of vastly increased demand in a world where supply chains are being tested by Covid. I get that people are upset they dont have a new toy to play with, I get as I'm out of luck on both a PS5 and 3080. But at the same time, I realize that this drive to get things first, but this day 1 fomo is terrible for consumers. It allows people to deliver unfinished products to the market that will be bought up anyway. Nowadays I expect servers to crash on launch for games and hardware to be sold out.

I guess what I'm saying is it's okay to be mad and upset about it. Everyone here has been reasonable IMO. I have seen some nuclear takes on reddit and twitter, I think that's who this is aimed at.

JusticeforPluto on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Hey, so did anyone actually get a 3080?

Not on the forums that I'm aware of.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Pixie has a friend that got one.

Makes me wonder if the Ryzen 3 launch is also going to be a shitshow, since those are hotly anticipated as well.

Zen 2 was sold through almost immediately. It took almost a month for 3600 to get in stock reliably at MSRP.

Expect the exact same thing to happen with Zen 3.

• CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I supposedly have a preorder for the Zotec from Amazon. It's set to be released the 30th so I'll see. Planning a new rig myself since my old one is based on a 1080.

This is the US Amazon store btw. The only card I ever saws them post about. Their preorders lasted about 15-20 minutes?

Cirira on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

It's not a stretch, it's simple cause and effect. He's participating in the media blitz hyping up the 3080. Yes, it's his job to chase trends and follow the algorithm and get those clicks (like and subscribe!). But it's not his job to punch down on people that feel burned by the media blitz he participated in.

Sure, it's not insulin. Nobody's gonna die from not getting a 3080. But if it's something you were looking forward to - which, this is 2020, anything good to look forward to is a welcome reprieve - then not being able to get one, having the entire stock sell out in moments, then seeing it all on eBay for 2x+ the price? It's shit. It's OK to be mad about that shit. It's OK to post angrily to a message board or Reddit about that shit.

To follow the simile: folk upset about not being able to get a 3080 aren't killing anyone.

So you're saying his only way to win, in your eyes, was not to play? I think that's a completely ridiculous stance, which takes the broadest possible view of "the hype train" and lacks any sort of nuance or actual contextual analysis of GN's content on the 3080.

That said, it's an opinion you're certainly within your rights to hold as much as we're well within our rights to think is pretty goosey.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

We have recent history to go on here from a year ago

oh yeah there's gonna be a show

it's gonna be very shitty

edit: just to harp on this some more, I ended up with a 9900K instead of a 3900X after 3 months because I wanted a goddamn upgrade and I was sick of waiting for that part to get in stock. I bought an x570 motherboard I ended up giving to a friend so I took a $200 hit from this transaction. It took another 3 months before you could easily get one. Expect the same to happen for Ryzen 3.

Orca on
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I guess what I'm saying is it's okay to be mad and upset about it. Everyone here has been treasonable IMO. I have seen some nuclear takes on reddit and twitter, I think that's who this is aimed at.

:bigfrown:

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I'll have to wait until stock of pretty much everything regularizes before even thinking about building a new PC from scratch. That'll probably be until early next year, to be honest.

A monitor, however, might be an interesting investment meanwhile.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    LD50 wrote: »

He has a confirmation email anyway. I haven't actually talked to him yet today to see if he subsequently got a cancellation email. :lol:

Also I think @Spoit may have managed to get one?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Orca wrote: »
    I guess what I'm saying is it's okay to be mad and upset about it. Everyone here has been treasonable IMO. I have seen some nuclear takes on reddit and twitter, I think that's who this is aimed at.

:bigfrown:

https://youtu.be/R3oSAVwcD4U

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

I used it as an excuse to build a new gaming rig, as it's been many years since my last upgrade of any sort. I assumed the launch would be somewhat well managed given all parties have a history of releasing products to massive demand. Apparently not, so all the unforced errors in the launch are just annoying as a consumer.

Yeah, that sucks, especially if you already had a bunch of other components lined up. If you haven't picked them up already, at least this way you now can get a better understanding of exactly how to optimize that new rig once people have had a chance to actually use the new cards in the real world. Also, I'm betting we'll see some new designs once manufacturers are able to start playing around and deviating from the original spec. If you already do have all the other parts, maybe you can return them?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, this is gonna be interesting times for those who're planning on upgrading or doing a complete system build. One of my close friends lost her house in one of the fires on the West Coast...so she and her husband are recovering from that. On her to-do list is to build a new computer. Initially, I recommended going with a 2070 Super...but that was last week...and then the announcement of the 3xxx-series happened, and I was like "Maybe return the 2070 Super because these new cards are coming literally next week and they'll blow the 2070 out of the water."

I'm now kinda regretting my recommendation to her.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    edited September 2020

Probably was to late in the cycle to increase production that much by that point.

The 3080s, Playstations and Xboxs will come. We are facing a way of vastly increased demand in a world where supply chains are being tested by Covid. I get that people are upset they dont have a new toy to play with, I get as I'm out of luck on both a PS5 and 3080. But at the same time, I realize that this drive to get things first, but this day 1 fomo is terrible for consumers. It allows people to deliver unfinished products to the market that will be bought up anyway. Nowadays I expect servers to crash on launch for games and hardware to be sold out.

I guess what I'm saying is it's okay to be mad and upset about it. Everyone here has been reasonable IMO. I have seen some nuclear takes on reddit and twitter, I think that's who this is aimed at.

Then setup preorders? This is a perfect time to say "Hey, because of COVID some things are not where we expect to be, so to our loyal consumers we want to give you the right experience when it comes to our products. We will setup preorders and while they are not a guarantee of a card on launch day, they are a guarantee of your place in line, and we'll update you weekly on our production progress so you can understand when you'll get your card". Take 50 bucks a person for a spot, make money off the float and everyone reasonable is happy about the whole situation. This is not rocket surgery, this is basic stuff.

They chose the opposite of that - "let's drum up lots of interest and do absolutely NOTHING to prepare our storefront or partners for bad behavior".

Oh, parts are already bought, received and sitting in my basement as I assumed things were at least as good as the last time I built a comp service/supply wise. Apparently companies have forgotten how to do business in the past 5 years.

schuss on
    Man, it's totally normal to start randomly stressing about your thermal paste job and mobo quality right?

I'd legit be pissed if I had parts sitting around waiting for this card. It'd be one of those things that would drive me to just return everything in favor of an AMD system and not buy an NVIDIA card for my next few upgrades/machines.

edited September 2020
    I'd legit be pissed if I had parts sitting around waiting for this card. It'd be one of those things that would drive me to just return everything in favor of an AMD system and not buy an NVIDIA card for my next few upgrades/machines.

The 5700XT was sold thru immediately.

If AMDs 6000 cards are at all compelling the same thing will happen to them as well.

Pretending this is an nvidia thing and not the absolute shit state of online retail right now is kind of silly.

jungleroomx on
    LD50 wrote: »

He has a confirmation email anyway. I haven't actually talked to him yet today to see if he subsequently got a cancellation email. :lol:

Also I think Spoit may have managed to get one?

Update: my friend says the store tells him he is now in a "queue" of indeterminate length, moving at uncertain speed, for unknown reasons... to determine whether he actually gets the card he "successfully" bought. /headdesk

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

Nah, it's just disappointing as I'm going to do this build with my 4 year old and 6 year old, so it just delays that experience because some ecomm guys at one of the largest tech companies are real lazy.

edited September 2020
    Companies only put effort in if it makes them money.

Preventing bots from getting the cards does not actually make them more money.

Ergo, companies do not put effort in.

This is a "capitalism is a fundamentally broken system that rewards asocial behavior" problem, not a tech company problem.

3cl1ps3 on
    They lost goodwill as well as potential investment profits from preorder cash.

Very unlikely to actually have a material impact longterm, way more people are buying these cards than are taking their business elsewhere because of this.

edited September 2020
    svwsuyv9cz59.png

Best Buy just being a tease now. You can't actually add this to cart. :lol:
    n7qg04hei5m3.png

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.