As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Personally, instead of thinking about how to catch McConnell in a "gotcha", I hope people are thinking about how to make McConnell feel afraid of doing this.

There's only one thing that'd make McConnell fear doing it and explicitly saying it would go so far beyond the bounds of what's acceptable to legally say, let alone this board.

2020 just keeps on fucking giving.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    If we want to make things better, we have to do more than vote and hope for the best. I don't know what that action is, but voting can't be the end of it, especially since the Republican party has made it their mission to shit all over voting rights and the Democratic party doesn't seem particularly interested in doing more than tweeting about it.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Personally, instead of thinking about how to catch McConnell in a "gotcha", I hope people are thinking about how to make McConnell feel afraid of doing this.

There's only one thing that'd make McConnell fear doing it and explicitly saying it would go so far beyond the bounds of what's acceptable to legally say, let alone this board.

2020 just keeps on fucking giving.

;)

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Literally the only thing that could stop or slow this

I agree that trying to make the argument that he’s a hypocrite is a waste of time, Supreme Court noms are at the top of the list on prizes. Confirming them in the face of adversity boosts his party’s popularity and shows that they’re there to win it for them (even though it’s not) and let’s them stick it to the libs which probably two of their top five goals.

Dems need to fight tooth on nail on this, they’ve been saying it would be the end times if Trump got another term and got to seat SC justices.

Well that is happening here and now, so I want to see them act like it was as apocalyptic as they were saying when they were using it as a way to drum up votes.

And Biden and Harris need to sign a note in blood saying they will pack the courts if they win.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    didn't quite make it to 2026 and a nice round 250.
    shame, but still longer than most democracies.
    gg, everyone, gg.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I got nothing left in me.

I got nothing left.

The fate of this fucking country never should've rested on the shoulders of one single old woman. I'd almost say this feels like a divine retribution of sorts, but I know I'll be fine. Its the weakest and most vulnerable that are going to suffer. What kind of punishment is that, kicking the ones who are already down?

I don't know. I'm letting myself spiral. Its not done yet and giving up and in before its well and truly over is doing nothing but prolonging the suffering.

But its so hard to keep going when whats good and whats right -fuck not even that romantic- the most basic of human decency just keeps losing.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Must be pretty weird to know that your last breath is going to be used to dry the cement of American fascism.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    It's my desire to be sympathetic to people who are having a bad day, but I mean this genuinely: if you're a white, straight, cis, middle class guy, and you're going "Well there goes X minority rights", that's like, a sign that you were never really going to fight for those rights to begin with

This isn't necessarily targeted at anyone here, I don't know much about anyone behind the screen, but I been seeing this kind of take on twitter next to a bunch of smiling vanilla profile pictures and it's like come on buddy. If this is your #resistance people like me, a gat dang queer, didn't lose anyone today.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It's my desire to be sympathetic to people who are having a bad day, but I mean this genuinely: if you're a white, straight, cis, middle class guy, and you're going "Well there goes X minority rights", that's like, a sign that you were never really going to fight for those rights to begin with

This isn't necessarily targeted at anyone here, I don't know much about anyone behind the screen, but I been seeing this kind of take on twitter next to a bunch of smiling vanilla profile pictures and it's like come on buddy. If this is your #resistance people like me, a gat dang queer, didn't lose anyone today.

We've been told to not really talk about the penultimate solutions to these kinds of problems here because of the ramifications, legally speaking, of what that entails.

This "well there goes..." is kind of like commiserating with your friends instead of standing up on a soapbox proclaiming what and where you stand and what you'll be doing about it.

I'm sure a great many of us are going to be doing whatever we can even if we're not spelling it out in detail.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I hope every republican is so fucking terrified they have to look over their shoulder for the rest of their miserable fucking lives

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    NBC News wrote:
    Senate Majority Leader McConnell, following passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg:

“President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate." https://t.co/vBZQSv5JdG
    t3qgm726mbjk.jpg

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wife: "huh... Ruth Bader Ginsburg died."

Me: "jeez, this means Roberts is going to be the swing vote now."

Wife: "Roberts was already the swing vote."

Me: "fuck"

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I feel physically sick at knowing how gleeful Mitch McConnell is feeling right now

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    any time my brain ever has the remotest iota of "oh, mcconnell can't be that much of a ghoulish hack can he?" I immediately have to stamp it out

the man has no lower bound

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    There will be so much celebrating when that fucking turtle face asshole dies.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

I'll throw a motherfuckin party, that's for sure

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I feel physically sick at knowing how gleeful Mitch McConnell is feeling right now
    Maybe itll cause a heart attack

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

I'll donate to the bail fund

• Options
    Tox wrote: »
    NBC News wrote:
    Senate Majority Leader McConnell, following passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg:

“President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate." https://t.co/vBZQSv5JdG
    t3qgm726mbjk.jpg

Yo go fuck your "lame-duck" president horseshit, you fucking tortoise

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Thought number one when I heard the news: "Fuck."

Thought number two: "Well, I am not logging on to Twitter Dot Com this entire fucking weekend."

My second thought:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvgQzlAN-tA

off topic but FUCK this adaptation is so good

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

Trying to distract myself from thoughts like "someone should burn down mcconnels fucking house" by wondering if this can even work. Like, let's say the dem senators miraculously all get on message, with every single one of them bringing up mcconnel's hyprocry (this doesn't actually do anything but they have to say if for the free PR/TV) and all of them threatening to pack the courts if Biden wins. Does this spook enough GOP senators in precarious positions? Does it even matter?

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    If there's one good thing about that declaration from McConnell it's that he's likely doing this because he genuinely thinks Republicans will lose the Senate and Presidency in November and that's why he's willing to move now.

• Options
    ph blake wrote: »

Trying to distract myself from thoughts like "someone should burn down mcconnels fucking house" by wondering if this can even work. Like, let's say the dem senators miraculously all get on message, with every single one of them bringing up mcconnel's hyprocry (this doesn't actually do anything but they have to say if for the free PR/TV) and all of them threatening to pack the courts if Biden wins. Does this spook enough GOP senators in precarious positions? Does it even matter?

I don't think they're going to be spooked by anything.

Any civil unrest will strengthen their resolve for martial law and a fascist state. They are essentially all but begging people to start rioting en masse at this point.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Okay. So in light of this and McConnell's IMMEDIATE response to this, I have the following to say to my fellow leftists.

We have to vote for Biden. There is no sitting out.

If you do the "I'm not voting at all this year" thing, you are forcing me into your suicide pact.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Pack the court to the fucking rafters.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

GOP senators are more spooked by the threat of trump people coming to their houses and murdering them if they don't play ball than anything the democrats can come up with

canny wheeling and dealing isn't gonna figure into the resolution of this one way or the other, it's gonna be straight brute force

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I don't think they're going to be spooked by anything.

Any civil unrest will strengthen their resolve for martial law and a fascist state. They are essentially all but begging people to start rioting en masse at this point.

To be clear, I think this strat is meant to target specific GOP "moderate" senators who are in precarious positions, the murowskis and collins of the bunch. You know, those who are perfectly willing to reap the benifits of the fascist state but are too cowardly to go full stormtrooper cause they think it doesn't play well in November.

But yeah, the big "they" of the GOP won't fucking care, and I don't actually think this works (mostly because dems can't get on message for shit).

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Pack the court to the fucking rafters.

Seriously, I want 12-5 decisions in favor of civil rights.

But we're putting the cart before the horse here. Gotta get that majority first.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    NBC News wrote:

t3qgm726mbjk.jpg

I knew this would be his position, but how is losing control of the House in 2018 expanding their majority?

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    NBC News wrote:

t3qgm726mbjk.jpg

I knew this would be his position, but how is losing control of the House in 2018 expanding their majority?

Senate. They've already disavowed ever losing the House and keep it cloistered away from anything important.

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

Like even if it doesn't actually work at spooking some parts of the GOP, I want literally every dem senator to be shouting this 24/7, preferably on cable news.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay. So in light of this and McConnell's IMMEDIATE response to this, I have the following to say to my fellow leftists.

If you do the "I'm not voting at all this year" thing, you are forcing me into your suicide pact.

If Biden promises to nominate the leftest fucking judge he can find sure, but if he just wants to nominate some centrist judge that will waiver on peoples rights then it doesn't matter.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    So I guess one thing to do for every person who has the option of yelling in a democratic candidate/sitting senator's ear is to yell our fucking lungs out that a conservative super majority on the Supreme Court is not something that is acceptable, and fuck anyone says "but decorum."

Threaten if they don't take decisive action to combat republican ratfuckery, we'll burn the fucking party to the ground.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    None of what he says in that means anything, because he doesn't give a shit. He blocked the appointment in 2016 because he didn't want a Democratic appointment, and he's pushing through one in 2020 because he wants a Republican appointment. We can catch McConnell and Trump and whoever else in as many lies and hypocrisies as we want, and we have so many to choose from, but their base doesn't care, and they don't care.

• Options
    My senators are Ted Cruz and John Cornyn lmao

God the senate as an institution is so fucking awful

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular

If Biden promises to nominate the leftest fucking judge he can find sure, but if he just wants to nominate some centrist judge that will waiver on peoples rights then it doesn't matter.

How about they fucking nominate judges who uphold the constitution like they're fucking supposed to

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular

Man, I fuck’n wish.
    MCCONNELL: "After they change the filibuster, they're going to admit the District as a state. They're going to admit Puerto Rico as a state. That's four new Democratic senators in perpetuity. Once they get a hammerlock on the Senate, they're going to then pack the Supreme Court."

MCCONNELL: "The one thing the Majority Leader gets to do, that the other 99 don't get to do, is to decide what we're going to do... We're not changing the filibuster rule. We're not admitting the District and Puerto Rico as states. And we're not packing the courts."

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I picked the wrong month to stop drinking.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

How about they fucking nominate judges who uphold the constitution like they're fucking supposed to
    Yeah right now my mind is set on SURVIVAL. We'll do the "goals to achieve thing" after survival is achieved.