As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    My senators are Ted Cruz and John Cornyn lmao

God the senate as an institution is so fucking awful

Good news: One of them might now be for much longer.

Bad news: Because he’s the new SCJ.

I doubt it’s ever Cruz, but because he might rediscover some of his respectability for long enough to try to lash out at Trump.

Instead he’ll get led along but never reach the oasis.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay. So in light of this and McConnell's IMMEDIATE response to this, I have the following to say to my fellow leftists.

We have to vote for Biden. There is no sitting out.

If you do the "I'm not voting at all this year" thing, you are forcing me into your suicide pact.

If Biden promises to nominate the leftest fucking judge he can find sure, but if he just wants to nominate some centrist judge that will waiver on peoples rights then it doesn't matter.

How about they fucking nominate judges who uphold the constitution like they're fucking supposed to

The constitution is whatever they say it is now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Okay. So in light of this and McConnell's IMMEDIATE response to this, I have the following to say to my fellow leftists.

If you do the "I'm not voting at all this year" thing, you are forcing me into your suicide pact.

I have been here since 2017. I am a brown man in alaska with a funny sounding name

I have fears that they may actually hunt me for sport.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »

I have been here since 2017. I am a brown man in alaska with a funny sounding name

I have fears that they may actually hunt me for sport.
    They've been rounding up Mexican migrants in camps, making the women sterile, and making wrongful arrests of native born Mexicans and legal immigrants as well.

I'm half Mexican and have already had complications with police.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

If Biden promises to nominate the leftest fucking judge he can find sure, but if he just wants to nominate some centrist judge that will waiver on peoples rights then it doesn't matter.

How about they fucking nominate judges who uphold the constitution like they're fucking supposed to

That would work if Republicans also did that, but they don't so Dems have to respond accordingly.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

C'mon, you already know who Biden would nominate.

I'll give you a hint, his name rhymes with Shmarack Shmobama.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

C'mon, you already know who Biden would nominate.

I'll give you a hint, his name rhymes with Shmarack Shmobama.

It's probably going to be Merrick Garland and I'll flip my fucking shit.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    SOMEONE RESURRECT THE FUCK WHO COINED THE PHRASE MAY YOU LIVE IN INTERESTING TIMES
    I WANT TO KILL HIM ALL OVER AGAIN

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    If you're looking for senate candidates to donate to, please don't donate to Amy McGrath. She's way behind McConnell in the polls, with very little chance at catching up, and there are way more competitive races.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    If you're looking for senate candidates to donate to, please don't donate to Amy McGrath. She's way behind McConnell in the polls, with very little chance at catching up, and there are way more competitive races.

McConnell has Kentucky pretty much on lock.

Donate to people who actually stand a realistic chance of flipping the seat.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Yeah don't target figureheads. Target numbers.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    a lot of chatter on twitter that says stuff like, "donate to amy mcgrath to send a message to mitch mcconnell!" and it's like, "he doesn't care, though"

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    God hope I wake up to McConnell’s house being surrounded by angry protestors for the foreseeable future.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    People consider Sotomayor and Kagan centrist but they still vote the way leftists want prolly 95% of the time

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Gorsuch is probably the tie breaker now.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The judiciary is probably the most conservative branch of government as a whole, honestly

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    The judiciary is probably the most conservative branch of government as a whole, honestly

By it's very nature it is

• Options
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    a lot of chatter on twitter that says stuff like, "donate to amy mcgrath to send a message to mitch mcconnell!" and it's like, "he doesn't care, though"

A divisive SC nom is good for him.

Hell, you’ll likely see some of those moderates Biden has been courting break away over this if they think this can lock in the gub’mint taking their guns for the next 30 years.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    People consider Sotomayor and Kagan centrist but they still vote the way leftists want prolly 95% of the time

leftists for the most part are concerned with the structural rot that got us in this position in the first place, the way a particular judge votes is only ever gonna be harm reduction at best

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Can I just start crying now?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Can I just start crying now?

Absolutely.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    if you haven't been constantly weeping since 2017 what are you even doing

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    if you haven't been constantly weeping since 2017 what are you even doing

being locked in constant indecision about whether hysterical laughing or hysterical crying is most appropriate and as a result not really showing emotion one way or the other

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    NBC News wrote:
    Senate Majority Leader McConnell, following passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg:

“President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate." https://t.co/vBZQSv5JdG
    t3qgm726mbjk.jpg

Easy to elect more of a minority when that minority has changed all the levers of democracy to point their way.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Voted early today. Seems fitting to go full doom now!

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I guess I feel that when you already know that the current governmental system has no ability to address rot at the core of America, it doesn't hurt as much to see one more step alo

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The main thought I have about this is that this is an extremely stupid problem for a country to have

If one sickly old woman's continued life is the difference between fascism and democracy then the problems started wayyyy before her death

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    It's seriously alarming to me the number of liberals on twitter going "but McConnell said this! But Lindsay Graham said that! They can't possibly contradict themselves!"

HAVE YOU FUCKERS BEEN ASLEEP

WHO THE FUCK POLITICIANS HAVE YOU BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO

WHAT THE GODDAMNED PISSING SHIT MAKES YOU THINK THEY GIVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST OF FUCKS ABOUT BEING CAUGHT OUT IN A LIE

i'm exhausted.

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Liberals still think norms matter, in fact they think norms are more important than anything else.

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    McConnell said like 18 months ago they'd fill the seat. Anyone clutching their pearls saying "oh no he wouldn't go that far" is not worth a second of your time because they are demonstrably, empirically stupid. "But the precedent after Scalia died!" they might say. It was a Democratic president with a Republican senate and counts for exactly dick.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    This has been a grim evening.

Fuck.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    3clipse wrote: »
    It's seriously alarming to me the number of liberals on twitter going "but McConnell said this! But Lindsay Graham said that! They can't possibly contradict themselves!"

HAVE YOU FUCKERS BEEN ASLEEP

WHO THE FUCK POLITICIANS HAVE YOU BEEN PAYING ATTENTION TO

WHAT THE GODDAMNED PISSING SHIT MAKES YOU THINK THEY GIVE EVEN THE SLIGHTEST OF FUCKS ABOUT BEING CAUGHT OUT IN A LIE

i'm exhausted.

I mean, this is the perfect use case for a Biden presidency.

He’s been telling us for a year and a half he’s friends with all the republicans in the senate, so now he can just call them up and explain that what they are doing is unfair and could they please wait until after the election.

Thankfully since he’s on such great terms with them this is a crisis we don’t have to worry about.

The only way things could go bad is if he’s wrong and Republicans don’t actually give a fuck abou.....

Kelor on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Grieving is done for the grieving, not the departed. They're expressing their grief and sadness in a way that they know. Culturally, this country is very "submarine protestant" and a song like Amazing Grace is kind of how it's done.

Maybe it's rude or disrespectful, but this was an act of spontaneous social grieving.

Is there a Jewish song of equivalent prominence and meaning? I'm genuinely asking, I don't know one.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    and as someone said on one of these threads, many of them are grieving for the country as much as for her.

EDIT: Looks like it was @Nobeard on the main SCOTUS thread.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    Prominence, probably not. There are a lot of Jewish hymns but I doubt they’re widely known

I wouldn’t have an issue with someone saying a Kaddish for a deceased Christian (unless they were like, a horrible antisemite or something) so I don’t have any huge problems with spontaneous hymns, it’s an expression of community grief. It would be nice if it was multicultural but the us is still overwhelmingly Christian so

tynic on
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Setting RBG being jewish aside Amazing Grace seems like an entirely inappropriate song for the occasion. Lyrically its a song about God and religion saving the soul of a person with a truly terrible past. Culturally it has become associated principally with the African American community. This isn't the first time its been used inappropriately but it still seems very inappropriate.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular

Thank you for this. Truly.