As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

D&D 5E: The Temple of Yonth

1161718192022»

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Yeah, it’s no biggie.

Honestly I turned from the original Hunger Games style I advertised the game as pretty quickly once the first few meet ups went well.

I might do a more straight forward fighting tournament one day, and invite others to be the audience.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'd like to thank not just @Endless_Serpents but everyone for putting up with my particular brand of silliness I brought to this game. I did intentionally create a comic character, but without being a joke one, if that distinction makes sense. I intended to have a short, chaotic, interesting cameo, but unintentionally ended up being somewhat of an agent linking and moving the story forward. I have an image in my head of Wylan and Lialeth kinda looking at each other after the final battle and being like "So... you know this goat?"

Being Billy was an unusual experience; being, well, goaty resulted in me playing and doing some things very different than I usually would.
    I do hope that mostly this resulted in introducing more fun into the game for everyone - that was definitely my objective - but I do apologise if I ever introduced more frustration than mirth as I went about my goat business. It was a very fun and very different experience than I usually play.

Some particular notes:
    * My intention was not to really have a name, just things people called me, so it was fun becoming Bucky for a while, but as time went on I just sort of ended up leaning into fucking around fun with names & titles and I have no idea if anyone else was enterained by it but it was deeply amusing to me.
    * One of the reasons I think I managed to survive despite being a intentional mook character was actually taking that Morgus Bite magic item. It prevented headlong suicide by making me think carefully about my attacks and when to use them for maximum effect. I think, in the end, about half of all damage I actually suffered was essentially self-inflicted.
    * I am genuinely uncertain as to whether the Tinker under the sheet in the Frosticorn room was supposed to be an NPC or Satra. At the time I assumed that it was some NPC, and used that to build a whole 'mistaken identity' reason for working with Satra. But then as time went on I wasn't actually sure and thought maybe it was Satra? Anyway, that was a fun little mental exercise that spurred some fun writing prompts (which is something I enjoy).
    * I should probably also give a slight apology towards @mrpaku, as I still had a shield in my equipment right up until the very end and I nearly dropped it for you for the final fight, but I didn't think I'd be able to get it to you in any meaningful way before you could pick it up with the Drake and the Githzerai all going before you, but then things didn't go as I thought they would. Not sure if it would have made a difference in the long run, but I probably could have kept you around for one more turn, but it didn't happen that way, and in the end I never ended up using it myself and I'm a bit sorry about that.
    * I was actually drafting up a post about taking the helmet right before Roy grabbed it. Not to actually don it of course, but I was right next to it and thought I could take it and dangle it over the pit to taunt the Mindflayer like the cocky belligerent goat I was. I was then hoping to flick it across the pit and push the Illithid in as it attempted to grab it, which probably would have put it closest to Wylan. It was an audacious idea, and I'm not sure if it would have come off - maybe in some other loop. But I was still halfway through writing it when I saw @Sleep posted, so instead ended up going off to rescue Lialeth like some stubborn meathead.
    * I got to ride on a giant lizard. It was everything I ever wanted.

Anyway, at some point when I have time I'm going to go back and read through everyone else's journeys. I generally tried not to read most other people's posts, but I look forward to going through and finding out what everyone exerienced and what Thraxx got up to at the bottom of the pit with Timmy Tin.

I've never done play by post before but this sounded like something different and interesting and throwaway enough for me to give it a go, and I'm glad I did.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    It was Satra, for sure. But I’m glad you didn’t check, it kept the mystery.

There were a lot of time-copy corpses around. I think it was Wylan that pulled a Mr. Grungle corpse out of a pool in the very first room they visited. Mr. Grungle himself fought a zombified Wylan corpse, but I don’t think that was put together.

Wylan found a previous Roy laid near some huts later on.

The goat found their own corpse pretty early on, and Thraxxagar fell down a pit and found they’d died from the fall last time.

There was probably others I’m forgetting.

I tried to allude to this repeated runs idea early on by having all the starting rooms show creatures in endless infinite variation.

• Options
    Oh, and the mindflayer had extra fungus powers for no real reason. I just wanted it to feel like it has its own story. Who knows how it got them.

The underground section Thraxxagar went through was full of sludge and some terrifying arm monsters. It was amazing they lasted until the final fight honestly. The ship is shaped by the captain, so in my head that sludge was the nanomachines or whatever the ship is made of degrading without a purpose.

Every pit lead to the underground, there were no instant death pits.

@Fishman Don't fret, you were certainly a highlight!

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    @Fishman I found Billy a *highly* entertaining (if somewhat initially irritating, but then that was kinda his point) part of the game, and definitely the closest thing Satra ended up having to a buddy throughout, with Tinny gone (sorry Lialeth, probably would've been you; lotta *bad, important, bad rolls* this game).

And yeah, appreciate the thought on the shield, but going into that last fight at 5HP, Satra was....it would've bought me a round, but she was gonna end up paste at some point during all of that. What she *needed* to have happen was to find a potion of greater restoration, or if we'd fought the Drake and I could've leveled off of it. But I really love how she went out...felt *very* satisfied when the fungal zombies staggered and when the mindflayer started summoning mushrooms, and I felt like the little genius sacrificing herself to send that warning felt pretty sweet.

@Endless_Serpents Favorite room I personally visited was probably that second room that was covered in scorch marks and those silver discs. What was that all about, and what were those silver discs I took? And what would've happened if I'd tried and succeeded in climbing up into those vents that popped down momentarily?

Favorite room I saw from afar and would've liked to visit (after that big mushroom fight, I was at least glancing at everyone else's story, save Thraxx) was the Witch room where Roy had the tea and strange conversation

• Options
    Also! Thraxx getting Tinny all the way to the bridge, while Satra found her way there from the other end with Billy and Wylan, only to have them die the very same round just before realizing the other was alive and part of the battle was *chef's kiss*

• Options
    edited September 2020
    So the idea behind that room is a prior version of Satra had a battle in there. The scorch marks were from various artificer weapons.

The discs were ships logs. Had you got to one of the stewards they would have shown you some little clips, each one giving you 10 experience.

If you’d brought them to the forgetful steward you would have helped it out, getting it running a little better.

If you’d got behind the wall you would have shimmied through the vents until you got to a room neighbouring the nearest steward.

The witch was a cameo from my fav character from Planescape: Torment, Ravel Puzzlewell. Briefly, she’s a night hag trapped in a magic prison. She is important to the protagonist’s predicament. For this game we’ll say she was freed when the prison was destroyed, and eventually came to help design the ship as she has a thing for freedom. Though a night hag, she’s not evil, but she didn’t do tonnes to help. Likely she warded that room and waited the fight out. By this point in time she’s quite mad, and has lost most of her power.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    So the idea behind that room is a prior version of Satra had a battle in there. The scorch marks were from various artificer weapons.

mrpaku wrote: »
    Satra

Satra let's out an impressed whistle. Someone, maybe a group of someone's, had thrown just her kind of party in here.

Seriously, just a *fantastic* game, A++

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Yeah, it’s no biggie.

Honestly I turned from the original Hunger Games style I advertised the game as pretty quickly once the first few meet ups went well.

I might do a more straight forward fighting tournament one day, and invite others to be the audience.

I'd have probably had Roy be a bit more violent in his initial encounters had he not just taken a bunch of damage, had to use second wind and his teleport, and lost an ear. Literally the only reason he didn't lead with violence with Thrax and Lialeth was because he was just disfiguringly injured and out of tricks.

That last scene there was actually a turning point for Roy. Roy was not a good guy, chaotic neutral at best is how I'd put him. Originally that bomb kinda had everyone else's name on it. Once Roy figured out there was other people here, and ones capable of pretty impressive violence, the bomb was the plan, if y'all decided to turn south on him. Get them together set off an incendiary device and hope there's enough chaos to rack up the bodies. In the end though he figured 'well this horrific fungus monster is gonna kill us all anyways so I might as well set this thing off on it before we all die anyways'. Then having just gained control of a super powerful space ship... 'okay yeah I can probably share with these folks that didn't kill me while they just had ample opportunity. Wait shit where's that little one they seemed to understand all this construct shit alre.oh..oh no'.

My name actually comes from the original pitch it's my adventure/battle royal character: Roy al'Char.

Also this was my first pbp so I'll have to get better about elucidating this type of stuff actually in the posts a bit more, but I also did half my posts with an infant in my other hand so.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Oh also for the final image we are now in Talon from farscape.

• Options
    Nah it’s cool. You’re allowed to keep your cards to your chest.

It’s a nice thought that you had a change of heart right when you had the chance to be evil.

Now he’s chaotic neutral with a little lean to good.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    A week late but I wanted to pop in and thank @Endless_Serpents for running this. It was fun!

I'd like to think those of us who died were either fixed or revived by the ship and Captain Roy and we sailed the Spelljammer across space and time on many grand adventures.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Oh also, I have no idea how I survived the sub dungeon, no idea what I was suppose to do at that control panel to maybe help, and no idea what that amulet did.

I think I was the one who found a Grundle corpse and sanctified it.

I meant to grab a water skin full of purple nano goo because I thought I could use it to like make a structure but I forgot

• Options
    So you could have dropped robots into that fight the others were having top size, and continued to monitor them a bit. You would have spotted things freely that would require them to investigate, but not much else. I didn’t expect you to stay there long.

It really was the most lethal area. I was more or less playing minesweeper with you. There was 8 of those monsters in total moving every turn beneath the sludge.

a4rpki4lklar.jpeg

The amulet transforms the wearer into a triton whenever they’re in water, which was pretty useless really given the circumstances.