As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm not sure the hardcore leftists who looked at the opportunity to flip the SCOTUS from majority conservative to at least even sides with a moderate in the middle and said "naw, not gonna vote" are going to look at the opportunity to keep the SCOTUS as-is with a conservative majority and say "oh yeah, definitely gotta vote this time."

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/bfpPArfDTGw

Every goddamn day.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Prominence, probably not. There are a lot of Jewish hymns but I doubt they’re widely known

Yeah this is kind of my point. This wasn't organized, it was spontaneous, so folks are gonna go with what they know.
    Setting RBG being jewish aside Amazing Grace seems like an entirely inappropriate song for the occasion. Lyrically its a song about God and religion saving the soul of a person with a truly terrible past. Culturally it has become associated principally with the African American community. This isn't the first time its been used inappropriately but it still seems very inappropriate.

I definitely don't disagree it's a very weird song choice. As with so many other songs I'm guessing it's just a matter of not really considering the "story" so much as the overall "sound" of the song. Lots of folks play Green Day's "Good Riddance" at their weddings, because they pay no attention to the story of the song.

Also I don't think it's so much an African American thing, for me it's "Amazing Grace on bagpipes at a funeral" that I think the song is probably most prominently known, at least as far as the funerary association goes.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    The main thought I have about this is that this is an extremely stupid problem for a country to have

If one sickly old woman's continued life is the difference between fascism and democracy then the problems started wayyyy before her death

Well, yeah. Its not like we didn't know that. This was just one of the few checks left on this rot. And now its gone, and we're in shock. Way to be a goose about it.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The energy that will be spent over RBG's 'complicated' legacy (She was a center left presence on a court that by and large sat center right or far right) over the next few days and weeks will be much better spent on trying to make the Democrats an actual fucking opposition party for the first time in 45 years

WeedLordVegeta on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

The energy that will be spent over RBG's 'complicated' legacy (She was a center left presence on a court that by and large sat center right or far right) will be much better spent on trying to make the Democrats an actual fucking opposition party for the first time in 45 years

Shouldn't we be working to make it the party in administration?

Fencingsax on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    The energy that will be spent over RBG's 'complicated' legacy (She was a center left presence on a court that by and large sat center right or far right) will be much better spent on trying to make the Democrats an actual fucking opposition party for the first time in 45 years

That can't happen until January. Opposition can happen immediately.

liEt3nH.png

Displaying opposition would be a great way to earn support and make sure that happens, yeah

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I just know of one jewish hymn
    https://youtu.be/ZRnzTTYk7_Q

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    The main thought I have about this is that this is an extremely stupid problem for a country to have

If one sickly old woman's continued life is the difference between fascism and democracy then the problems started wayyyy before her death

Well, yeah. Its not like we didn't know that. This was just one of the few checks left on this rot. And now its gone, and we're in shock. Way to be a goose about it.

what the hell

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

what the hell

he thinks you're calling americans dumb rather than vocalizing your frustration at the state of things

liEt3nH.png
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

what the hell

he thinks you're calling americans dumb rather than vocalizing your frustration at the state of things

Well...if the shoe fits..

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I vocalized my frustration with how dumb America and Americans are probably fifteen times last night.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    I vocalized my frustration with how dumb America and Americans are probably fifteen times last night.

On the whole we’re really fucking dumb.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm guessing Drew said something off the cuff shitty about people in Kentucky, or something.

• GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah basically "the people of Kentucky fucked us" stuff

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    yeah just the typical liberal "fuck red states hargle blargle"

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    fuck carpetbaggers

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    As a lefty living in a red state that regularly fucks the country i don't think i could bring myself to care about someone saying 'Florida fucked us'.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    As an Arkansan lefty who’s state dem party failed to even run someone against the Republican. Those takes make me want to claw my fucking skin off

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    yeah just the typical liberal "fuck red states hargle blargle"

that type of shit probably isn't in like the top five things that got trump elected in the first place, but it figures in, and in any case it's actively harmful elitist bullshit

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    As a lefty living in a red state that regularly fucks the country i don't think i could bring myself to care about someone saying 'Florida fucked us'.

As a lefty Nebraskan, I say fuck my state and the bootlickers who keep electing pseudo-moralizing fascists and gutless blue dogs. Dunk on us now and goddamn forever until we stop throwing hurt on others.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    Hating on the population of red states does not solve the gerrymandering and voter suppression that prevents them from swinging the state blue

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    My core issue is when people take this energy and turn it into, "oh, NOW you want our help?" when like, a hurricane hits Alabama or something

Also like...more people in California voted for Trump than people in Nebraska did, probably

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    As a North Carolinian the North Caroline Republican Party literally leaves me foaming at the mouth with rage, sans the foam.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Hating on the population of red states does not solve the gerrymandering and voter suppression that prevents them from swinging the state blue

Unfortunately there's not much that can be done from outside the populace of those states to solve those problems.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Unfortunately there's not much that can be done from outside the populace of those states to solve those problems.

There kind of us, states can be ordered to re-draw gerrymandered districts and stop fucking around with voters (see North Carolina's recent lawsuits for the former, for instance), but it's hard and requires action at the national level and a lot of liberals just don't want to bother putting in the effort for states that aren't already swing states.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

There kind of us, states can be ordered to re-draw gerrymandered districts and stop fucking around with voters (see North Carolina's recent lawsuits for the former, for instance), but it's hard and requires action at the national level and a lot of liberals just don't want to bother putting in the effort for states that aren't already swing states.

Don't those states tend to just keep finding ways to fuck around? until (sometimes, eventually) enough people manage to overcome the existing gerrymandering and elect people to actually fix it?

• SleepSleep Registered User regular

Who's in charge of making those orders? Is it potentially the supreme court? You know that body that's about to be in the bag for Republicans for the next 15 to 30 years?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I want out of this state and this country and this entire fucking planet.

Fuck it, I volunteer to go to Mars

JtgVX0H.png

Who's in charge of making those orders? Is it potentially the supreme court? You know that body that's about to be in the bag for Republicans for the next 15 to 30 years?

It's usually federal appeals courts.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    So for a bit of levity, one of the people you can donate to with the ACTBLUE donation thing is Alan Gross here in Alaska. He is an independent, who insists that everyone calls him doctor. One of the main pillars of his campaign is that he once murdered a bear and that is enough in Alaska to make you competitive for senate.

• JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I'm in SC. I guess I'm gonna call at some point and tell Lindsay Mixing the Fucking Kool-Aid Graham that I'm upset and he best not be a rat-fucking sycophant like he always is.

This is dyed in the wool Trump country. For every one person that's an open Democrat or anti Trumper I see and interact with 10 who are Red Hat MAGA Ben Shapiro goblins.

Edit: I threw like, $250 at ActBlue last night and it gave me a little sense of control again.

Juggernut on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Why Your Tweet Sucks: Drew Magary

By Charlie Booker

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    63% of active voters in Kentucky continually fuck us.

There. I fixed it.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    One thing that might help you feel marginally less hopeless, whether it does anything or not: if you have any Democrat senators, call their office and let them know that you as a constituent expect them to filibuster and appointments made before January 21st.

This is kind of the one actual weapon the senate dems have to do anything with, here, and we need to make them use it.

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    One thing that might help you feel marginally less hopeless, whether it does anything or not: if you have any Democrat senators, call their office and let them know that you as a constituent expect them to filibuster and appointments made before January 21st.

This is kind of the one actual weapon the senate dems have to do anything with, here, and we need to make them use it.

Supreme Court nominees can't be filibustered.