As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]-vember. Time to stuff yourself full...of games.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Is there a way to put steam games on an Amazon wish list? My mom is asking for wishlist items, but one of the main things I want is Iceborn, but I can't find it for PC on Amazon itself...

Only if Amazon actually sells the Steam version, which is pretty hit or miss, and I just looked and also don't see Iceborne (for PC) there anywhere.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Why did Among Us suddenly get so popular? I overheard people at work talking about it, and usually they only talk about that Final Fantasy MMO.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Okay, ZeroRanger is good. Great. Stellar, actually. A must buy for advanced shump lovers, whether you like Cave, Touhou, or whatever. Getting to the best ending is kicking my ass but I'm close.

But to call it Undertale Shump as many reviews insinuate is a bit much. Undertale isn't the first game to do....the weird meta things it does. Undertale had characters you grew to love. ZeroRanger is simply not as much of an emotional experience.

The shoutouts in ZeroRanger are amazing and put a big smile on my face.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Why did Among Us suddenly get so popular? I overheard people at work talking about it, and usually they only talk about that Final Fantasy MMO.

Lying, betrayal, murder - what's not to like?
    Oh, and don't forget the mob justice.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Memes. So many memes.

I'm still 50/50 on whether it was organic or guerrilla marketing.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

Memes. So many memes.

If it was guerilla marketing the devs would probably have tried to do something about the servers beforehand.

I think some big streamers caught wind of the game and it just took off from there because it's really good.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I can see it being fun to play with friends because it's basically Mafia. And it's a really good game for streamers because it's basically Mafia that other people can watch.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    @Orivon is adding a bunch of fun games to day 13 (playing as a detective) and day 27. (killing mooks)
    Thank you very much. <3<3
    y8snakxpdjyl.jpg

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Damn, I keep meaning to grab River City Girls. I have the soundtrack on my YouTube playlist and it absolutely kicks ass.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Is there a way to put steam games on an Amazon wish list? My mom is asking for wishlist items, but one of the main things I want is Iceborn, but I can't find it for PC on Amazon itself...

You can add third party sites to Amazon but it may be easier to ask for a Steam GC. Amazon sells the physical cards so you have to wait for them to get mailed to you.

@Brody, yeah you can set it up in your Amazon wishlist:

PpIKTbL.png

It does require your gift purchasers to be savvy enough to buy games on Steam. Steam gift cards are much easier to ask for. Before the pandemic, it seemed that not all gift card carriers were carrying Steam cards regularly. I think I recall that CVS and Target both tended to still have them.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm trying to organize an Among Us PA group for either tonight or next weekend. Y'all should join in or at least watch a stream.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    @Orivon wants me to enjoy more apocalyptic scenarios. Thanks a lot. <3<3
    iwqotwh8zeg9.jpg

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

You can add third party sites to Amazon but it may be easier to ask for a Steam GC. Amazon sells the physical cards so you have to wait for them to get mailed to you.

@Brody, yeah you can set it up in your Amazon wishlist:

PpIKTbL.png

It does require your gift purchasers to be savvy enough to buy games on Steam. Steam gift cards are much easier to ask for. Before the pandemic, it seemed that not all gift card carriers were carrying Steam cards regularly. I think I recall that CVS and Target both tended to still have them.

Walgreen's is the only place I can reliably find them since Kroger (King Sooper's here) stopped carrying them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Memes. So many memes.

If it was guerilla marketing the devs would probably have tried to do something about the servers beforehand.

I think some big streamers caught wind of the game and it just took off from there because it's really good.

Didn't a sequel get announced recently? I wonder if they just put the original on super sale to get generate hype and it worked better than they could have anticipated.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Getting worried about astronaut girlfriend again.

aqldbn4mp8d3.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Someone was asking about VR games recently, and I just remembered one of my favorite niche VR games. Don't laugh, but it's actually angry birds VR. It's surprisingly well done, and the physics are really on point.

EDIT: It looks like there's actually a phone port of it in AR.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
    Retail: $19.99

Let's face it- if you're quite familiar with R.A. Salvatore and his Legend of Drizzt series of novels set in the Forgotten Realms, you know at least a little of where this game takes place- but I don't think any of the characters from the books show up in this.

If you're looking for gameplay like Planescape, Neverwinter Nights, or Baldur's Gate here, well... it has it, and then it really doesn't have it. I will say this, though- familiarity with Second Edition Dungeons and Dragons (better known as Advanced Dungeons and Dragons at the time- Ceiling Cat, I really am that old) and how to build brokenly powerful characters in that engine will be a godsend if you want to make all your own characters. I imagine you could go and find builds on the web for them if you're not good with it, but mashing the roll attributes button (no point-build here- you roll 3d6 six times for your stat block) until you get a set of scores you feel comfortable building a character around. Builds can range from 18 stat points (all threes) to 108 stat points (all 18s) plus modifiers.

In case spending an evening mashing a little button to simulate dice rolls doesn't sound good to you, there are also a number of premade characters you can just go with.

The game's story is more of a campaign-style thing- it's not personalized to any one of your characters, but it's more of a DM running a campaign set in the Icewind Dale area. You have a team or table of six adventurers, all traveling together in search of fame and fortune, and you've come through the Spine of the World mountains to go for fame and fortune among the snow, ice, and barbarians. But things start happening, and well... you find a lot more than you were expecting!

The game consists of three sections: Icewind Dale (the original game), Heart of Winter (Expansion 1) and Trials of the Luremaster (Expansion 2). Between all of them, you're going to have a lot of gaming to do to scratch the surface.

More than likely (and because I love doing it myself) I'm going to go ahead and dig up some Icewind Dale builds for a balanced party and make my own.

You can also join in on a multiplayer game- though this isn't a make-your-own-server thing like Neverwinter Nights is- but I think theoretically you could connect with a few other people and play through the campaign together?

The art and sound is pretty top-notch, and you can turn on an option to just highlight interactive areas like chests, compartments, and doors to let you know.

I'm keeping this one installed because it's got the promise of a lot of game to wile away all the free time I have.

I will also admit that this is a whole heck of a lot more complicated to play than the other Enhanced Editions that Beamdog has released, because here you're responsible for crafting your own party if you want, and you NEED to know what all those feats and everything do- which is why I keep saying it might be a good idea to look up some solid builds online if you're unfamiliar with this edition.

...okay. Now that we're done weaving past yetis, through barbarian camps, and took that right almost into the Underdark- I didn't know you could make a drow jump that high with just a horn that plays cats meowing Jingle Bell Rock, honest- so now where off to?

84) Cosmic Star Heroine

...you know, one of these days, I'm going to have to investigate this nav thing and find out why it suddenly sends up everywhere.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

aqldbn4mp8d3.jpg

Looks like a real baaa-a-a-a-a-d ass to me, yeah?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Well, it's time again to overshare my World of Nontendo Sims. Today, I'm sharing the adventures in PokeHouse. Spoilered for lots of pictures - so far this house has been fun, I thought I made personalities that would hate each other, but so far they've been like this odd little frat of joy. Once again, I didn't actually design anything but the primary costumes, so the swimsuits/sleeping atire/whatever that dress Jessie is wearing in one of the pics all come from the random shuffle.
    Outside view of the house - pretty dull with some awkwardly placed windows. I'll probably landscape more or add a few more games at some point. I think the windows need to be nicer as well, but since I was going for "Group of college friends rent a house" as a vibe, I think it works ok.
    3wfv9gjs1ev9.png

Here are the bedrooms, the single is Ash, the double with divider is Team Rocket. They are assigned beds but I haven't locked doors yet so they seem to love to use each other's computers even if someone is sleeping. I suppose that's about as thoughtful/considerate as most college roommates.
    o3yntr5flpr0.png

Mr. Mime's Bedroom. Today I learned there is a maximum number of mannequins allowed in a plot of land.
    yeuxjrb46689.png

The kitchen - it's pretty much fully appointed. I decided the rest of the house should look like college kids decorated, but that maybe the landlord outfitted the kitchen.
    7t990piityct.png

The den & living room area - I tried to think of what the shared spaces in my dorm looked like way back when...
    vp827t8wb2a4.png

Mr. Mime has a weird stalking animation everytime he walks and it's wonderful.
    f0u8gyfdjkv8.png

Team Rocket's love of money means Jessie can Make it Rain - even if she's not at the strip club.
    83edf0hnqf5n.png

It's not all sunshine and roses though, sometimes fights breakout (plus Meowth seems to want to kill the sofa).
    3pyifct0c31c.png

None of them can cook yet, so they all seemed to think I gave them a popcorn maker to provide an easy breakfast. None of them looked happy actually eating it though.
    tb9ip051j3nj.png

Mr. Mime wasn't a fan of popcorn breakfast either.
    w2xssyrykssl.png

Mr. Mime and Meowth share a cereal moment.
    193gs13vb53z.png

Ash and Mr. Mime partying at the juice keg. Mr. Mime is apparently the life of the household.
    h4e4r2klb43r.png

I think Ash's juice drunk impacted his ability to do tricks on the Slip n' Slide.
    yxu2apqwea2z.png

Although I still have to give CDi Link and Zelda a home, I decided to make my next household - the Pro Wrestling Frat House. Star Man, Amazon and Kin Korn Karn are going to share a house (probably some tweaks to be done, at least on Karn). I think the next place is going to have to be an all-girls household though, the neighborhood needs a better mix.
    h4zvizorvkmb.png

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Did I just see Pro Wrestling NES characters in the Sims? Awesome!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    kgp8cxki4gfk.jpg

Neat. This is for Seven, an RPG like Fallout but it has a jump button. I've 1000'd a few games on the XBOX but this is the first Steam game where I've acquired all cheevos.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

aqldbn4mp8d3.jpg

does the hat help with her headaches

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

aqldbn4mp8d3.jpg

does the hat help with her headaches

Not when she's ramming her head

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hi everyone, my sister & brother-in-law were thinking about giving my soon-to-be-9 nephew a gaming laptop for his birthday, and asked me for recommendations. I don't really know much about PC hardware, and even less when it comes to laptops, so I figured I'd ask you fine folks for suggestions? All I could think of was the following:
    1. Get him a Windows machine (they're an Apple household for the most part, but I figure better safe than sorry on compatibility issues)
    2. Get a separate mouse (they let him get into Fortnite against my advice, and IIRC in 3D shooters you're still handicapping yourself trying to use a gamepad or touchpad against other PC gamers)
    3. Lock down internet access, & start teaching him about good web-safety practices
    4. Make sure they've got parental controls on Steam and any other digital storefront/launcher they let him install
    5. Don't save credit card or purchasing information on Steam, etc. I don't know the whole story, but my nephew's already done the "I bought it by accident, honest" thing once with an in-game shop for Roblox or Fortnite or something (I forget which).

My sister doesn't play games for the most part, and while my brother in law plays a lot of console games, he never got into PC gaming, so my concern is that he's only thinking of it as buying a new console and not considering everything else he's opening the door to.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

aqldbn4mp8d3.jpg

I don't know this game. Is that a human with a goat head hat or a goat with a human face scarf?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    @TheStig I believe it's Fallout 76, and that's a human with a goofy hat.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Specifically, it's an Imitation Sheepsquatch hat. Note: not a hat for imitating a Sheepsquatch, a hat for looking like an imitation Sheepsquatch. The game has imitation Sheepsquatches, and real Sheepsquatches.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I ran into a Sheepsquatch once.

I promptly ran the other way.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

Memes. So many memes.

Didn't a sequel get announced recently? I wonder if they just put the original on super sale to get generate hype and it worked better than they could have anticipated.
    I dont think they were planning on a sequel until it got big. It just kinda existed until now, after not being on anyone's radar for a year and a half. Hell they JUST put out a new game like last month. I dont think they'd be trying to draw attention away from their new game like that.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    @H3Knuckles we have a PC Build Thread \o/ as well as a laptop thread \o/

I'll get you links shortly

• Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Hi everyone, my sister & brother-in-law were thinking about giving my soon-to-be-9 nephew a gaming laptop for his birthday, and asked me for recommendations. I don't really know much about PC hardware, and even less when it comes to laptops, so I figured I'd ask you fine folks for suggestions? All I could think of was the following:
    1. Get him a Windows machine (they're an Apple household for the most part, but I figure better safe than sorry on compatibility issues)
    2. Get a separate mouse (they let him get into Fortnite against my advice, and IIRC in 3D shooters you're still handicapping yourself trying to use a gamepad or touchpad against other PC gamers)
    3. Lock down internet access, & start teaching him about good web-safety practices
    4. Make sure they've got parental controls on Steam and any other digital storefront/launcher they let him install
    5. Don't save credit card or purchasing information on Steam, etc. I don't know the whole story, but my nephew's already done the "I bought it by accident, honest" thing once with an in-game shop for Roblox or Fortnite or something (I forget which).

My sister doesn't play games for the most part, and while my brother in law plays a lot of console games, he never got into PC gaming, so my concern is that he's only thinking of it as buying a new console and not considering everything else he's opening the door to.

I think you've hit the biggies. I would also say to talk with the kid frequently about what games he's playing and with who. Ask to watch him play a few rounds and you can get a pretty good idea of what types of folks he's playing with too. Even games like Minecraft can have some really shitty behavior on servers. I might even recommend for the first few weeks if possible to have them keep the laptop in a central location so they can overhear/oversee what he's doing. I liked keeping my son on a desktop at first for that reason.

Luke started gaming pretty young, and our bigger worries were the toxic environments around certain games than anything. The one other trap I know his buddies fell for is popups to "Play Pokemon for Free" and the like that take you to janky, virus filled web-based emulators. At least two of his friends had to get their systems cleaned after trying to play pirated Pikachu, so definitely warn him about avoiding games that aren't from storefronts like Steam/Epic without asking an adult first.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Other steps
    Make an Admin Windows account for the parent, and then a User Windows account for the kid. The odds of royally fucking up a user account are much slimmer. What would be amazing for a kid is if the UAC was absolute or could only be bypassed by admin passwords, so that programs from a trusted source install, but anything you download from the internet just Nopes you. I'm sure this can be done, but not quite how.

What I'm not sure of if it's wiser to have the Steam account in a similar setup, where the parents account actually owns the games and shares it to the family. I don't quite know how its parental controls operate.

I think it would also be fair to inform them that while gaming laptops are significantly better than they were a decade ago, they are still heavier, and have significantly worse battery life, and may be much noisier than what most people think a laptop does nowadays. Those are not dealbreakers per se, but seeing it in action before spending that kind of money may be smart.

As a kid I would've killed for a deal like Gamepass, $10/month for roughly 100 games, with 5 rotating in monthly. The downside is that exploration on that is horrid, because the WinStore is Bad and the best way to search is to actually go to your browser, find the game you want, then search for that in the store.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I don't know how parental controls in Steam work either (we never actually used them on my son's account) - but I will say a great option is to use PayPal for anything they buy on Steam/Epic Games/etc. That way, if you accidentally forget to remove it or they somehow manage to get a purchase through, you'll immediately get an email confirming the PayPal purchase. Luke's been amazingly responsible - we have our account saved on his xbox/switch/phone/pc and the only unexpected purchase was him forgetting to turn off a trial of EA All Access - but it's really nice knowing if something does go wrong I'll get an email.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Microsoft bought Bethesda, which hopefully doesn't mean a lot except for new logos before games you play?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Microsoft bought Bethesda, which hopefully doesn't mean a lot except for new logos before games you play?

It might mean that the dumb Bethesda launcher is dead, and they'll come back to steam?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

It might mean that the dumb Bethesda launcher is dead, and they'll come back to steam?

Am I missing something? Every Bethesda game is already on Steam, isn't it? I can't think of one offhand that isn't.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

As somebody who plays the Wolfenstein games on a PS4 and probably won't get a new Xbox anytime soon I'm bummed out.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

I think you've hit the biggies. I would also say to talk with the kid frequently about what games he's playing and with who. Ask to watch him play a few rounds and you can get a pretty good idea of what types of folks he's playing with too. Even games like Minecraft can have some really shitty behavior on servers. I might even recommend for the first few weeks if possible to have them keep the laptop in a central location so they can overhear/oversee what he's doing. I liked keeping my son on a desktop at first for that reason.

Luke started gaming pretty young, and our bigger worries were the toxic environments around certain games than anything. The one other trap I know his buddies fell for is popups to "Play Pokemon for Free" and the like that take you to janky, virus filled web-based emulators. At least two of his friends had to get their systems cleaned after trying to play pirated Pikachu, so definitely warn him about avoiding games that aren't from storefronts like Steam/Epic without asking an adult first.

I mean, if you want to shock your sister's family into letting you set everything up and set rules, you could always read them the account of our Steam Thread-er who had their kid end up buying some $600+ of train DLC and the nightmare he went through trying to get it refunded.

[*] Adblocker and NoScript installed on said computer, too.
    [*] A good, solid, well-respected internet security suite.
    [*] Strong, STRONG password on the admin account.
    [*] If he blows his money on some shit game and begs for more, tell him "no dice" or have him do chores and stuff to earn it. Don't just let him beg for twenty bucks here or there every time he needs more V-Bucks. *shudder*
    [*] He has to ask someone before he buys something- there's a lot of really shitty meme games and the like you might not want him exposed to on regular Steam, either, so someone has to okay it and see it be purchased.
    [*] If you catch him acting like a horrible little troll in-game, then he gets punished for it. That kind of thing needs to be nipped in the bud right when it starts.
    [*] If he sees something that makes him uncomfortable or icky, he runs and gets a parent to deal with it and reports them for it.
    [*] Familiarize yourself and them with the Steam Refund Policy (two hours of play or one week of ownership means no refund).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Doesn't Steam have a nominal age limit of thirteen?

This discussion has been closed.