As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CYOA] Absolute Wrestling Eternal

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited September 2020 in Critical Failures
sip61vdqj7do.jpeg

Step into the exciting world of Absolute Wrestling Eternal! Here the world’s greatest combatants duke it out to the delight of roaring crowds! What an opportunity! What a revelation! You’ll never see anything quite like these maestros of the ring; their prowess is unmatched!

The dreams of these wrestling all-stars will be tested in this the foundational season of A.W.E.

Who will rise and who will fall? Who are the heroes of our tale, and who will show themselves to be villains? Only time will tell!

What is this?
This is a Choose Your Own Adventure game about an outlandish wrestling league in a world where anything can happen.

What do I do?
You are a participant rather than a player in the traditional sense. The wrestlers do the wrestling, and the enigmatic Board bring about events that affect them. What you do is cast your vote to sway matches and events one way or the other.

How often do I have to participate?
The more invested participates this gets the more fun it’ll be, I reckon, but you needn’t turn up every day. Vote once, occasionally, or every time, it’s up to you.

Do I need to be here from the start?
No. As the audience of A.W.E you can arrive any time. Every participant is equal regardless of time invested.

But what is it really about?
It’s about making a silly, melodramatic story together about wrestlers, wrestlers we design out from just their names. This first season will end in a tournament to determine the greatest wrestler.

In the actual game side of things, right now it’s incredibly simple, but your in-put (in the form of ‘petitions’) will make the game increasingly convoluted. It’s a game about making a game about wrestlers.

Endless_Serpents on

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The Rules of A.W.E

This is a collaboration between me (the narrator) and you (the audience). I’ll come up with matches and unique events, and your votes will shape the fates of the radical wrestlers in the Absolute Wrestling Eternal league.

When two or more wrestlers are set to face off in a match, first all participants will vote on who they want to win. Next I’ll roll two six-sided dice for each wrestler using the forum’s inbuilt dice roller to determine the results. Two predetermined attributes will be added for each wrestler’s roll to further bend the odds. Highest result wins. Each match will come with caveats, additional rulings and consequences, for the winners and losers.

Events will be a straight vote from the audience. An event can be anything from “Who should have an interview?” to “Should the sarcophagus be opened?”. Whatever earns the most votes determines what happens next.

Petitions will likewise be based on votes. Petitions are more open ended. Every once in a while the Board will take on your ideas for the future of A.W.E. Throw out some ideas, be they for the game’s underlying rules, match types, world’s lore and so on. I’ll choose three ideas and the highest voted idea is carried forward.

Everyone gets 1 vote per match, event and petition. No one has more influence than another, whether you turn up every match or just the one time.

The last thing is the audience spotlight. Simply put, I might just ask one of you to decide something minor, or even give your fallible opinion on something just to provoke a bit of debate.

If you ever want to doodle something, write a bit of dialog or make up some ‘deep lore’, or just discuss A.W.E, you just can. No extra points for it, so just do it if you wish.

How involved you get is up to you.

Timeline

I’m going to post something—a match, event or petition time—every day. If a match of great significance for the future of A.W.E comes into play I will wait an extra day to get the most votes available. I’ll try to post a new update at 1630GMT, which should be morning to lunch time for a lot of people on the forum.

Once every wrestler in the roster has fought in at least one match, it will be time for the Absolute Tournament Eternal! The tournament will decide once and for all who is the greatest wrestler of all time!

Anyone who was a notable fan of the triumphant wrestler is undeniably superior to other fans, and will receive an imaginary novelty t-shirt.

edited October 2020
    The Roster

Below you can take a look at the muscular menagerie of A.W.E combatants. This being the first season there’s not yet a ton of information regarding each one, but over time we’ll come to know them, and they’ll grow and change with each victory and loss. Choose to become fanatically devoted to a wrestler despite knowing nothing about them right now, or wait to see what becomes of the roster as the league gets into full swing.

At the moment each wrestler has four attributes. As events and petition ideas solidify, they will no doubt become more complex.

Deva Majestic
    3 Strength
    1 Technique
    0 Agility
    3 Resilience
    Big Paycheck. Deva Majestic is the best paid wrestler in A.W.E.
    Grudge: Ghengis Charm, Jumbo Miyamoto

Rainbow Ranger
    1 Strength
    2 Technique
    3 Agility
    0 Resilience

El Gato Loco
    0 Strength
    2 Technique
    3 Agility
    1 Resilience
    Grudge: Magician Fist
    Rival: Bazooka van Glock
    Idol: Jumbo Miyamoto

High Flying Death-Mask
    1 Strength
    2 Technique
    3 Agility
    0 Resilience

Universula Prime
    4 Strength
    -2 Technique
    1 Agility
    3 Resilience

Awful Alistair
    3 Strength
    2 Technique
    2 Agility
    0 Resilience
    Grudge: Deva Majestic

Sheriff Justine Law
    1 Strength
    2 Technique
    0 Agility
    3 Resilience

Bazooka van Glock
    3 Strength
    0 Technique
    1 Agility
    2 Resilience
    Rival: El Gato Loco

Blood Sugar
    1 Strength
    1 Technique
    3 Agility
    2 Resilience
    Dark Horse: She defies the odds.

Magician Fist
    -2 Strength
    0 Technique
    5 Agility
    0 Resilience
    Grudge: Ghengis Charm, Jumbo Miyamoto

Jumbo Miyamoto
    3 Strength
    0 Technique
    0 Agility
    4 Resilience
    Mentorship: El Gato Loco

Abyss-Woman
    0 Strength
    4 Technique
    2 Agility
    0 Resilience

La Calavera
    1 Strength
    2 Technique
    1 Agility
    2 Resilience

Ghengis Charm
    3 Strength
    1 Technique
    1 Agility
    2 Resilience

Buster Titanium
    1 Strength
    2 Technique
    2 Agility
    1 Resilience

Prince Eastifa
    0 Strength
    4 Technique
    -1 Agility
    -1 Resilience
    Rival: Awful Alistair

Spike Slam-Dunk
    2 Strength
    2 Technique
    2 Agility
    -3 Resilience

Benediction “The Fort” Truth
    2 Strength
    1 Technique
    3 Agility
    2 Resilience
    Respect: Cleopatra Revenge

Cleopatra Revenge
    -1 Strength
    2 Technique
    1 Agility
    -1 Resilience
    Respect: Benediction “The Fort” Truth
    Jobber

Diamond Jules
    2 Strength
    4 Technique
    0 Agility
    0 Resilience

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    History of A.W.E
    The first ever match was fought by Al Natural versus Deva Majestic. Deva won!
    The first Bell Rope match was won by Blood Sugar.

Notable People

World Information

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    bv39layja17n.jpeg

The sound of trumpets blasts out of speakers around the half-full arena. There’s a mix of claps and nervous questions, but all talk of “Why am I here?” and “Is that a bird nest up there?” are cut short as a mic screams into life.

“We’re on? I’m on. Welcome one and all to the A.W.E arena! The debut match of the season will begin in short order folks!”, says the announcer, sweating profusely.

He takes quite awhile to get into the ring.

“The gleaming gods of wrestling have rolled the proverbial dice on this one, and so our first match of the season will be a showdown between Al Natural and Deva Majestic. They’ll make war on one another in this very ring, known across the entire world as the Lightning Ring! When the fight begins the ropes will go live! Should they be unfortunate enough to land on the ropes they’ll receive a shock capable of cooking an ordinary human from the inside out with a million volts of pure electricity!”

He wipes his brow.

“Prepare to be frightened, amazed, inspired... and more!”

First Blood!
    This is the very first match in the season. As such, both wrestlers will gain +1 to a statistic afterwards, win or lose.

Additionally, the winner will gain the trait: Big Paycheck.

The match will be a roll of two six-sided dice plus Strength and Technique. It’s not a long bloody match and without the ropes it’s more footwork and locks than leaping around. Your votes will sway who wins, but there could be an upset!

MATCH VOTE
    Do you vote for...
    (A) Al Natural
    (B) Deva Majestic

The choice is yours.
    Geth roll 1d20 for wrestler
    Geth roll 1d20 for wrestler
    Geth roll 1d10 for ring

wrestler:
    1d20 6 [1d20=6]
    wrestler:
    1d20 1 [1d20=1]
    ring:
    1d10 8 [1d10=8]

Endless_Serpents on
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Do I vote here in the thread?

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I vote A

Because I love that name

JtgVX0H.png
    Yes. All it takes from you is saying “I vote A/B”.

If you want to provide a little bit of commentary or just chat, you can do that too.

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Deva Majestic (B) should obviously take this one. Resilience is a trait to be admired, and Al Natural's whole gimmick screams "heel" to me

I also Vote A because Al Natural leaves everything in the ring, he just lets it all hang out there.

I wonder how many times Magestic can withstand the electric ropes with that resiliance.

Steam
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    After looking over the roster I'd already decided to go al-in on Al Natural, and his surprise entrance in the first ever match has solidified this choice.

So I Vote A for the 100% definitely steroid free* Strength 3 Al Natural.

uyvfOQy.png
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Seems like a pretty close matchup at first glance, but I assume Al Natural would probably be at a major disadvantage if he couldn't seal the early game.
    Gonna vote B for Deva Majestic

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I vote B! Deva Majestic seems like they can go the distance!

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    AI Natural's flat tone just doesn't do it for me. Robo-flexing isn't a personality.

Deva Majestic has won our hearts minds. I Vote B.

edited September 2020
    qxnl3eaw03i0.jpeg

The two ringside commentators pull their fold-out chairs closer to the table. The one on the left is a short woman with wiry hair. She adjusts her tie, then takes a deep breath. She crackles with nervous energy. Her partner, who’s mother may have been a tank, squeezes his right wrist and flexes his fingers. He takes a swig from a hip flask.

Then he leans over and puts a hand over his mic, “Aren’t you one of the lighting technicians?”

“The guy didn’t show so I’m doing this now?”, she squeaks.

“Cool, cool. Okay. Roll with it.”, he says.

The arena blacks out. The murmur of the crowd is silenced. A spotlight hits the ring. The announcer steps into the light. He sternly removes a handkerchief from his pocket, appraising the crowd. He wipes his brow, then grabs the microphone hanging before him.

“Live before your very eyes! The first matchup of the season! Al Natural versus Deva Majestic! These two titans will provide the grand opening of A.W.E! Their battle the very foundation of the sport!”, he booms, “Without further ado!—”

Al Natural
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cf3H6RGusg

The lights flick between hot pink and orange. Oiled up and shiny, Al Natural struts down the ramp towards the ring, waving to the crowd. He jumps onto the ring and grabs the top rope. Al strikes a pose (fist in the air, one leg bent) as he hangs there for a moment. He winks, then takes a long stride into the ring. At his corner he confidently poses for the crowd between excited hops and exaggerated arm stretches.

Deva Majestic
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tl0rACi5pyk&list=PLL-j22_Bs0ptn47T42ZD2NTZlgfHWpgm0&index=3&t=0s

You’d think the ramp was a catwalk as Deva smoothly makes her way down. Under three swinging spotlights her triplicated shadows race over the crowd. She stops only to fist-bump a kid that calls to her, stubbing all other audience members. She throws a feather boa from her shoulders before picking up the mid rope and tumbling in, flipping to her feet. She grabs the mic from the announcer to say her piece.

“You came here to see a fight? You ain’t never seen a fight ‘til now!”, she growls, “This is a Deva Majestic fight!”

With that the announcer leaves, looking bemused.

“Seems like the crowd’s energy favours Deva Majestic.”, says the right commentator.

“But only just! This is a close call and it could go both ways!”, the other shouts, the words said too fast.

“I can’t imagine the pressure they’re under,” he says, passing his partner a bottle of water, “First impressions count, and losing here might have a domino effect on their whole career.”

She picks up her mic, “That’s right! That’s damn right! I wouldn’t like to bet on either combatant! With these two power houses in the ring anything could happen! What a spectacle!”

The bell is rung! The referee slips into the ring a moment after, panting.

Our debut wrestlers circle each other, getting their bearings, then slam into each other. Al quickly transitions into an arm wrench, and attempts to run Deva into the ropes just as they go live! Blue sparks dance around the ring as the opponents struggle for control!

Deva breaks free and sucker punches Al, using his sudden discombobulation to apply her unique hoist drop, the Celestial Descent!

Al rises instantly, strength renewed, and clobbers his rival, ending with a brutal kick that sends into a corner! Sparks fly and the lights flicker above! Her body quakes with the voltage, but she doesn’t let up! Reaching out, she grabs Al by the neck, allowing the electricity to compete its circuit through her!

She spins him into the corner, and drop kicks his back against it! As he falls away from the corner, she elbows drops the shiny wonder into a pin—and it’s all over for Al Natural.

Deva Majestic wins First Blood!

The crowd goes wild!

The announcer, sweating, sits on the commentator’s table and looks at Deva as her arm is raised by the referee, “We got ‘em!”
    Geth roll 2d6+3+1+3 for Al Natural
    Geth roll 2d6+2+1+4 for Deva Majestic

Al Natural:
    2d6+3+1+3 14 [2d6=1, 6]
    Deva Majestic:
    2d6+2+1+4 17 [2d6=4, 6]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    Both wrestlers statistics have increased for fighting in such an important match.

Deva Majestic
    3 Strength
    1 Technique
    0 Agility
    3 Resilience
    Big Paycheck. Deva Majestic is the best paid wrestler in A.W.E.

Al Natural
    3 Strength
    2 Technique
    2 Agility
    0 Resilience
    Grudge: Deva Majestic
    Geth roll 1d4 for Al Natural
    Geth roll 1d4 for Deva Majestic

Al Natural:
    1d4 1 [1d4=1]
    Deva Majestic:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

Endless_Serpents on
    edited September 2020
    “Well, that sure was a fight.”, concludes the commentator on the right.

“Yeah! Yeah! But now we’re going to move onto an interview with one of our all-star warriors to give you fans of martial combat an insight into their lives and why they do what they do.”, the other says, exasperated.

w8h8epnd8598.jpeg

Next up is our first event. Vote for who you want to be interviewed, and write a question you want them to answer under your vote. You can choose any wrestler besides Al Natural and Deva Majestic, who are resting up. Regardless of your choice, all questions will be answered by the interviewed wrestler. This might get weird.

While Ice Breaker is the important event, now might be a time to consider what you think Al and Deva look like. If you work out something fun together that’ll become canon.

Additionally, the announcer, commentators and referee have yet to be properly introduced. Your ideas will shape who exactly they are over time.

Of course, you can also bitch about how the last fight went, as is your right as a fan of A.W.E.

Endless_Serpents on
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    "When is El Gato on?"

"Oh, to the fighters?
    Ok, to Al:
    How do you stay so well grounded?"

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Well, given the names I'm going to vote for El Gato Loco.

"El Gato Loco, you've been called wild, unpredictable and a danger to yourself and others. What can fans expect to see you do with those catlike reflexes here in AWE?"

Mwx884o.jpg
    Wait anyone aside from Al and Deva?
    Oh well.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Universula Prime:
    "U.P., you've been called a graceless, talentless hack that gets by on sheer brute force and the ability to take a punch; a rowdy lout with no hint of technique or skill!
    Now, the question is, who do you want to face in the ring for your next match?

Blood Sugar

"Do you still hold a grudge against Magician Fist for changing his name and breaking up your red hot tag team, or is that water under the bridge?"

Also, this is basically what I picture Al Natural looking like:

uyvfOQy.png
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    *Comes back with a big tub of popcorn* What did I miss?

Jumbo Miyamoto, tell us, what steps have you taken to adapt to the rough and tumble world of AWE wrestling, as opposed to your previous career in the worldwide sumo champion circuit?

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    Yeah, Al Natural is definitely a body guy.

Mwx884o.jpg
    Al Natural is definitely all hair. He has never shaved or trimmed anything. At all. Ever.

Diamond Jules: Any truth to the rumor that you start off each day by eating 3 dozen raw eggs?

Steam
    @discrider
    I’ll try to be clearer going forward. Thanks for turning up! Your question will be answered by the winning wrestler.

If no wrestler edges out the audience’s votes, I’ll call it as El Gato Loco, as they’ve been mentioned the most.

Ok, is it Al Natural, like short for Alistair, or AI Natural, like Artificial Intelligence Natural? Cause I've been thinking it's a fighting robot the whole time.

@discrider
    I’ll try to be clearer going forward. Thanks for turning up! Your question will be answered by the winning wrestler.

If no wrestler edges out the audience’s votes, I’ll call it as El Gato Loco, as they’ve been mentioned the most.

It's fine
    Clearly I don't know why I have the microphone.

@Whelk

This question I didn’t know anyone had will now be answered in a future event!

edited September 2020
    3dc5vhv9ca8e.jpeg

El Gato Loco is stood in front of the lockers in the changing room, towel draped over one shoulder. He has his hands on his hips, body taut. The camera slowly pans to get the interviewer in shot.

“When is El Gato on?", the interview says, staring into the distance.

El Gato Loco pulls the microphone, still held by the interviewer, to his face.

“I’m always on! I’m on fire! So much energy man! Word is my next match is coming right up and let me tell you, it’s gonna be an aerial assault by yours truly!”

The interview cuts them off with their next question, “How do you stay so well grounded?"

The lean wrestler pauses, his eyes flickering beyond the camera, “I’m not grounded man! My passion is like a volcano!”

“El Gato Loco, you've been called wild, unpredictable and a danger to yourself and others. What can fans expect to see you do with those catlike reflexes here in AWE?

Pleased, El Gato Loco continues, “There’s not another wrestler as flexible as me! Wait until you see my flips! I’m gonna run rings around the rest and leave them in the dust! I’ll be surprised if those fools can land one hit on me! You say I’m dangerous, but I say you have to put your neck on the line for this, for yourself and the fans.”

“You’ve also been called a graceless, talentless hack that gets by on sheer brute force and the ability to take a punch; a rowdy lout with no hint of technique or skill! Now, the question is, who do you want to face in the ring for your next match?”, the interviewer says frankly.

“I feel... I feel like... Some bad vibes here man.”, El Gato Loco runs a hand through their hair, “I’m looking to take down Bazooka van Glock. What they stand for? Man, I’m against it all!”

The interviewer blinks for the first time since the interview began.

“Do you still hold a grudge against Magician Fist for changing his name and breaking up your red hot tag team, or is that water under the bridge?", they say.

“Yeah... Thats right! You know I hold a grudge against that good for nothing cabrón! I don’t back down from nothing man! I’ll get even with them!”, El Gato Loco fumes, pointing an angry finger at the camera.

“Tell us, what steps have you taken to adapt to the rough and tumble world of AWE wrestling, as opposed to your previous career in the worldwide sumo champion circuit?

The wrestler rocks on his heels for a moment, then speaks levelling, honestly, “I mean, you know, I was never cut out to be a sumo. I look at Jumbo Miyamoto and think, wow, what a guy. I’ll never regret my time there, it’s hardened me to facing much larger foes. My build and the work I put in are better suited to A.W.E, and you’ll see—victory calls to me!”

“I’ll end our time with you El Gato with this final question,” the interview says while extending one arm and staring at their hand, “Any truth to the rumor that you start off each day by eating 3 dozen raw eggs?”,

“No way Jóse! I never eat anything before a match, it’s like swimming, you know?”, he replies cheerfully.

“Thank you, El Gato Loco, thank you.”

The camera flicks to a still of two wrestlers while flames burn up either side of the screen. Behind the muffled music you barely make out:

“¿Qué era todo eso?”
    Geth roll 1d20 for Who to take down

Who to take:
    1d20 8 [1d20=8]

Endless_Serpents on
    That concludes the Ice Breaker interview. Much more about El Gato Loco has been revealed!

El Gato Loco
    0 Strength
    2 Technique
    3 Agility
    1 Resilience
    Grudge: Magician Fist
    Rival: Bazooka van Glock
    Idol: Jumbo Miyamoto

edited September 2020
    p6xxuful2iwl.jpeg

The lights swoop around the arena as the announcer steps gingerly back into the ring. He dusts off his knees, then regales the crowd.

“Are you all ready? Can you even conceive of such a wonder? Next is... The Bell Rope!”

The words echo through the speakers, and a shock of drums peel on after.

“Do you want to know who is the most physically capable specimen gracing the arena this evening? Do you want to see what the pinnacle of performance looks like?”, arms wide, they give the audience its response, “Yes you do! And so... do... we!”

“Five combatants enter the Ancient Ring, and whomsoever sets that bell jingling at the top of this military grade rope will have conquered not just their fellow wrestlers, but themselves! This is... The Bell Rope!”

The next match requires a wrestler to climb to the top of a lengthy rope to ring a bell. The fighting is secondary to that goal, but there’ll be fighting. As such the statists in use are Agility and Resilience.

The winner of the match will gain a +1 stat increase.

The wrestler with the lowest result will become injured, missing their next opportunity to fight, and will instead take the position of one member of staff (announcer, interviewer etc.) for a short time.

MATCH VOTE
    Do you vote for...
    (A) El Gato Loco
    (B) Universula Prime
    (C) Blood Sugar
    (D) Jumbo Miyamoto
    (E) Diamond Jules

Geth roll 1d10 for Ring

Ring:
    1d10 9 [1d10=9]

Endless_Serpents on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I vote B!

Also because I like the name. Look, I judge books by their cover, okay?

JtgVX0H.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    E

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    (D) Jumbo Miyamoto
    El Gato Loco sold me on him.

I think I have to Vote D as well, just because I want to see the sumo climb that rope.

uyvfOQy.png
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    D, sumo SLAM

Come on and SLAM, and welcome to JAPAN

I vote D.

A)
    Go, El Gato Loco!

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    I vote C! Go higher and higher, Blood Sugar, until my system is overwhelmed by my malfunctioning pancreas!

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina