As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Play [SPELUNKY 2] With Us Every Day Until You Die | kill a mole with a rock

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I really hope this comes out on switch. I played the heck out of the first one on my vita. Perfect little travel game, but not one I'd really sit down to play while in front of the TV.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Played for 3-ish hours last night and my biggest problem besides just figuring out new enemies and mechanics is that the new art style makes it harder for me to distinguish enemies against the background. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it's frustrating right now.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I made it to the second biome, so that's progress. I pretty much instantly died, but hey.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I died on a pretty big part after breezing through the Left Second Biome. . .and then died because throwing a rock at an enemy bounces through said enemy and hits a Friendly.

. . .I'm not mad though. I think maybe it is because these runs are so short and you don't really have the time to go slow but I'm not THAT frustrated when I die. Compare this to games like ENTER THE GUNGEON, where I already am not a Twitch Shooter expert, but having to grind through the levels again after getting clipped by something you swore you dodged.

Might also help that the visual style is so darn cute.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    There's a learning curve on both games but once you learn the monster patterns and items gungeon is a lot easier I think. Gungeon gives you items that are absurdly powerful, nothing on the level of clone of lucky clover exists in Spelunky... and if it does its just as likely to kill you.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    I got the game working after console update, as mentioned earlier.

I never played the first Spelunky, and am not great at platformers, so I'm getting wrecked. Ive prob got 50 or so runs in, have the first shortcut opened and have made the 3rd biome once.

Im enjoying it, but not necessarily experiencing the sublime perfection that people.have described.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I wanna talk about what I have learned, the hard-won wisdom I have earned
    -The clover you can get from the leprechaun does two things: reveals a hidden treasure via rainbow and also increases the time before the Ghost shows up

-Take the Eye from the first biome to the volcano biome, a device that drills into hell is available to use with the Eye. Go into the hidden hell door and fight your way to the top to get a crown. Take the crown to the water biome and you can trade it for Excalibur

-Don’t shoot at robots

-Poison is one of the worst status effects in the game. I don’t know if there’s a cure or not but I haven’t found one which makes it a death sentence. It’s worth taking a hit if it means you’ll avoid getting poisoned by a scorpion or bubble

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Regarding your last bullet point:
    Get a pet to the end of the level and it will cure your poison

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Things I have learned:
    Vlad's Cape lets you double jump as well as glide

Backpacks explode

Turkeys can be cooked with bombs, torches, and the fire dog's attack

Torches which have been extinguished can be relit from torches on walls

Whipping a camp fire gives you a burning torch

Hitting an enemy with the cursed jar turns it grey, but I haven't stuck around long enough to find out what that means

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Come on and SLAM

And welcome to the CLAM

:(

So, I've played prob a total of 5 or 6 hours now. I think its not really clicking for me. It's honestly kind of just too damn hard. I so rarely make any progress that it really just feels like banging my head against the wall over and over.

Made it to 6-2 and then trapped myself with no bombs or ropes :x

Man, fuck you Spelunky. I hate you. Yet, I keep.playing you. Another hour of my life sunk to this endless death cycle, but i did make it to 4-1 this time (and die within literally like 10 seconds). I hate this game, and hate all you. Lets see if i get any further tomorrow :)

I've just noticed that there another page to your death journal which gives additional stats. My daily run, for example:

Dear Journal,

I was law-abiding.
    I liked pets.
    I took my first damage in level 1-3 (Bat).
    I eventually died in level 2-4 (Snap Trap).

Cordially,
    Princess Airyn

• WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I have died one hundred times in Spelunky 2.

The furthest I've gone is the second floor of the third biome.

This game is good as hell.

I've pretty much gotten the hang of the first biome, at least. I do still get myself killed there sometimes, but most of the time I can recover even if I have a bad start.

A few lessons I have learned:
    Turkey Town is a good place to stabilize a rough run. Cooking two turkeys with one bomb (assuming no torch is available) is a cheap way to heal up if you need it. There may be better uses for them down the line, but for the time being I've found myself eating them more often than not.

Turkeys can walk on thorns. So can you if you have boots (either kind).

You can burn leafy walls in the jungle with a torch. Doesn't come up super often, but it works.

Do not go to the volcano without at least spring shoes. The lava pools are not shaped in a way that's favorable to base jump height; it's a pain in the ass.

You cannot backhand shopkeepers anymore; they'll judo flip you into next week. Many of the weapons they sell can still be used to kill them, though. Still learning techniques, although if I can afford to buy the stuff that matters I usually play it safe.

Do not smash yourself under a block in the Moon Challenge. (File that one under "mistakes you only make once").

Ocean kingdom spikes look different from regular spikes. (That one too.)

If there's a weapon that can reliably clear the hive, I don't know what it is. Half of the time you're surrounded the instant you walk in the door, so even a shotgun doesn't help. My only success thusfar was the time I dropped a bomb at my feet and went right back out.

DO NOT FUCK WITH WITCH DOCTORS. I don't care what the opportunity cost is. I don't care how expensive it is to create an alternate route. DO NOT FUCK WITH THEM.

Do not go to the volcano with a jetpack. (This seemed like a really good idea at the time.)

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    God, eight more days until the PC release.

The wait is truly Spelunky-like; it's killing me every day.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    God, eight more days until the PC release.

The wait is truly Spelunky-like; it's killing me every day.

The release dates are shifting....

But yeah, the wait is tough. But we must stay strong!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Are people having trouble seeing their ranking for the daily challenges?

Seems like I have to scroll down to find myself rather than the leaderboards having an option to jump straight to me, and let's face it, I don't have time to scroll that far

• AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I've been playing this the past week! Been spoiled on a good bit of secrets and stuff thanks to videos and streams (mostly GrandPOObear), but even with that, it's honestly ridiculous how many prospects I still have. Not looking for answers about if I'm on the right track with any of this stuff, but hey. Spoilers on a whole bunch of various stuff all the way up to 6-4 (given I have no idea how much further the game goes and don't really want to know) so beware!
    You know, I'm just going to add an extra spoiler tag just in case someone instinctively clicks that one. God knows I've done that a few times before.
    1) The alter in the ice caves definitely looks like its for an eggplant. Gotta take one all the way down there and see what happens. I imagine I could use the dude in Olmec's area to help transport it.
    2) I saw how to get Excalibur on stream, so I was able to do that, and took it all the way down to Tiamat... but she seemed to not care about it at all and yelled at me to death. I saw that you can use that to kill Kingu, so I'd like to do that and then get down to Tiamat again.
    3) I have no idea what's up with Tusk, and the club in world 6. I need to figure out how to get her treasure to see if that has anything to do with it, or maybe just try spending a lot of money on her dice game.
    4) I saw in Poo's stream that you can use the Ankh to self-sacrifice on the alter in the City of Gold, but he died so quickly afterwards that I have absolutely no idea what that leads to. I always have a bad time in the temple, so I've been putting this off.
    5) I went into one of those shopkeeper caves in the ice caves, and saw some... really funky shit going on below. I have the shortcut to that area, so I was able to figure this one out. Bombed pretty much the entire area and didn't find anything, but I noticed a big arrow on the wall of the cliff at the very bottom. Followed that by floating down slowly in a mech, and explored that room a bit, but eventually got killed by the ghost. I need to make sure I got the 4-leaf clover in the cave to get a bit more time, and see if I can get the fancy gun in there and/or kill the big monster in there.

As someone who never played the first Spelunky myself, I really was not expecting there to be this much shit in this game. I've always been interested, but it really blew away my expectations.

AshtonDragon on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I've been playing some Spelunky 1 in preparation for 2.

I believe the infinite yeti toss to be the most Spelunky death possible.

edit: not sure why imgur made that so big, the video file on my computer is 300x300.

Peewi on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I played for a while and unlocked the second shortcut while using the first one. Now I'm feeling pretty discouraged though looking at the requirement for the final shortcut, which requires you to start from the beginning. The first game did that too, but I feel like Spelunky 2 is simply too hard. It seems that he made it harder than the original to satisfy hardcore players, but he should have also done something to make it more accessible to compensate, like a difficulty selection. That may be a hot take, but when you've got a community of people who can beat Yama regularly in Spelunky 1, and also brand new players who never touched it, IMO it's reasonable that you should do something with the sequel to appeal to both groups.

You're kind of doing yourself a disservice if you're using the shortcuts on serious progression attempts. You really want to be accumulating resources on the early floors so you're better equipped for the later ones.

That said, it's probably true that this game is borderline unplayable for people who haven't put some time into the original. Horned lizards are basically 1-1 yetis.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Basically every new enemy elicits a string of curses from me, which I guess is... Good? I mean, it's challenging, but I wouldn't say it's fun to be hit three times by a single lizard attack... and the damn moles coming out of the ceilings... and snakes that start moving way too fast when you whip a pot they are hiding in...

Spelunky 1 is a comfort game. I have gotten to the point where I can beat the daily more often than not (usually within the top 50 on PS4), but if I make it to area 3 in a run in the sequel I'm gnawing my knuckles with anxiety.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Shortcut spoiler:
    Pretty sure I'm never going to be able to get a hired hand to the end of the water level unless there's one for sale right by the exit

They have an annoying tendency to jump into shit and I never bothered with them in Spel1ky

edited September 2020
    Speaking of shortcuts, after a few notable setbacks (such as a 2-4 consisting of nothing but witch doctors what the hell), I finally unlocked the second one and used it to conduct Science.

Things I learned about the upper area:
    - Madame Tusk is extremely easy to rob with an Axolotl and a bomb. You don't appear to get much out of it, though. Maybe the vault has an actual treasure if you're on speedrun pace or something? Unclear.

- Don't go to the 4-3 idol chamber. Unless I missed something obvious, it appears to just softlock your run with no way to escape. Maybe you need to have a means of teleportation? That was the only thing I could think of to maybe get out of that.

- Overall, as long as you have a pair of boots and DON'T FORGET WHAT SPIKES LOOK LIKE (I lied about only needing to learn that lesson once) I feel like it's pretty manageable.

Things I learned about the lower area:
    - Don't go to the Temple with no bombs.

- Don't go to the Temple with no weapons.

- Don't go to the Temple.

Wyvern on
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Things I learned about the lower area:
    - Don't go to the Temple with no bombs.

- Don't go to the Temple with no weapons.

- Don't go to the Temple.
    I very much learned the same thing. (Spoiler for other people, safe for you)
    As much as there's obviously reasons to go in there, the Temple is just so clearly way, way harder than the other area. I will only ever go in there if I have an explicit reason to.

It took me awhile to figure out that you can even get to it from the shortcut without taking damage, but all I learned from repeated attempts at it was "let's just avoid this".

Yes! I got my first win! And in only...190 attempts.

That run got pretty intense. I got a Royal Jelly, then somehow managed to blunder my way down to 1 HP, then got a very late Kapala and gorged my way back to 8, and then won with only two life.

I...did not really understand what I was doing in the last encounter. Even after winning I'm not a hundred percent sure which of my actions did or didn't help. But hey, a win's a win!

I have discovered...9/16 areas. God damn is that a lot to still be unknown. Mysteries abound!

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    That said, it's probably true that this game is borderline unplayable for people who haven't put some time into the original. Horned lizards are basically 1-1 yetis.

Yea this game is right on the verge of too hard to bother with for me, tbh. I've been playing it a lot but I can't tell if I'm actually enjoying it or not.

Spoilers regarding big secrets from world 4 that are probably best left until after finishing the game normally, fair warning.
    I had manged to get to Duat through the City of Gold awhile ago, but only today did I actually manage to clear that level. I'm really surprised it just gives the same reward as the secret in the other world 4! I'm assuming that leads to an alternate ending, but taking the Duat route seems not worth it at all to me under any circumstances, given that you have to give up any items you are carrying to get there (as far as I'm aware) as well as the Ankh. I guess maybe it's an option if you don't have a jetpack or a ton of ropes, but still.

Granted, it's still super interesting and I'm glad I did it, but the only reason I see to go into the Temple again is to go for a high score. And even then, I'd definitely avoid Duat.

Spoilers regarding big secrets from world 4 that are probably best left until after finishing the game normally, fair warning.
    I had manged to get to Duat through the City of Gold awhile ago, but only today did I actually manage to clear that level. I'm really surprised it just gives the same reward as the secret in the other world 4! I'm assuming that leads to an alternate ending, but taking the Duat route seems not worth it at all to me under any circumstances, given that you have to give up any items you are carrying to get there (as far as I'm aware) as well as the Ankh. I guess maybe it's an option if you don't have a jetpack or a ton of ropes, but still.

Granted, it's still super interesting and I'm glad I did it, but the only reason I see to go into the Temple again is to go for a high score. And even then, I'd definitely avoid Duat.

More super for reals spoilers:
    I, too, just had a run where I went to Moon Hell and slew the mighty Osiris. Except I got SUCKED INTO THE GODDAMN EXIT PORTAL BEFORE I COULD GRAB THE MYSTERIOUS TABLET ASJDNDLAHKJGFB.

Then I died to the Yeti King of all things. Still, many new achievements were made, and I got a higher score than I did on my actual win.

This is the first I'm hearing of such a secret in the Ocean Kingdom, though! I assumed you had to subject yourself to the horrors of the Temple in order to reach the Good Shit, whatever it may be. In the name of symmetry, presumably you need to get Exalibur and then do some kind of nonsense with it on 4-3? I'm guessing it involves that lava death-pit that I haven't figured out any real purpose for... (Don't tell me though!)

I've only gotten Excalibur once and it was lost to a mighty foe worthy enough to bring a fitting end to such a storied legacy (it got smooshed by an elevator). I guess I have a more compelling reason to keep attempting that route! I assumed Excalibur was a dead end.

edited September 2020
    Whenever I see a hired helper in a shop I sing Hamilton’s Say No to This and it cracks my wife up:

“Just give him what he wants and you can have me”

“I don’t want you”

joshofalltrades on

More super for reals spoilers:
    I, too, just had a run where I went to Moon Hell and slew the mighty Osiris. Except I got SUCKED INTO THE GODDAMN EXIT PORTAL BEFORE I COULD GRAB THE MYSTERIOUS TABLET ASJDNDLAHKJGFB.

Then I died to the Yeti King of all things. Still, many new achievements were made, and I got a higher score than I did on my actual win.

This is the first I'm hearing of such a secret in the Ocean Kingdom, though! I assumed you had to subject yourself to the horrors of the Temple in order to reach the Good Shit, whatever it may be. In the name of symmetry, presumably you need to get Exalibur and then do some kind of nonsense with it on 4-3? I'm guessing it involves that lava death-pit that I haven't figured out any real purpose for... (Don't tell me though!)

I've only gotten Excalibur once and it was lost to a mighty foe worthy enough to bring a fitting end to such a storied legacy (it got smooshed by an elevator). I guess I have a more compelling reason to keep attempting that route! I assumed Excalibur was a dead end.
    I think they designed the game so that you can still progress no matter which areas you choose to go to. It makes the secrets a little easier to figure out, which is probably a good thing, although it's also not what I would have expected out of this game.

World 4 secret spoilers, clip of a classic Spelunky disaster from a basic mistake... except things actually turned out perfectly okay somehow.

Hm. I thought that maybe the 4-1 vault would have something special in it if you got there really fast, but in the name of Science I blitzed it in just under five minutes and it was the same as always. I'm out of ideas on this one.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It came out on Steam today! Damn, am I rusty. I made it to 1-4 once so far with 81 minutes of playtime logged.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hm. I thought that maybe the 4-1 vault would have something special in it if you got there really fast, but in the name of Science I blitzed it in just under five minutes and it was the same as always. I'm out of ideas on this one.

It's not about speed, there's a way to meet the thief in an earlier biome.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Tragedy! I was unaware Spelunky 2 requires Win10 on PC, and I'm still on Win7 (yeah, yeah, I know; I'm lazy).

Guess I have to upgrade my OS to play the game I've been waiting for since its announcement. Bleh.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Made it to 2-2. I started 2-1 with the dude I rescued triggering a robot which agroed the shopkeeper. I was lucky enough to steal his shotgun and kill him though. A spike ball did me in in 2-2.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    SteevL wrote: »
    It came out on Steam today! Damn, am I rusty. I made it to 1-4 once so far with 81 minutes of playtime logged.

I won a run of Spelunky 1 right before starting 2 and it still took me an hour to reach 2-1 for the first time.

Nips wrote: »
    Tragedy! I was unaware Spelunky 2 requires Win10 on PC, and I'm still on Win7 (yeah, yeah, I know; I'm lazy).

Guess I have to upgrade my OS to play the game I've been waiting for since its announcement. Bleh.

Patch notes say "- Fixed crash on W7, so the game will no longer block when launching with <W10"

You should still upgrade to Windows 10, though. It's free to upgrade from Win7, even though Microsoft said it would only be for a year and Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft.