As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Cumin, cinnamon, oregano, cayenne, garlic, and two jalapeno peppers. Put it all in a food processor along with some cornmeal to create a paste that went in the stew

xet8c.gif

• RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Ok all. Anybody got a good rich chocolate frosting/buttercream that doesn't necessarily need be refrigerated? I got a quick 5 minute recipe but it needs to be refrigerated due to the use of butter. I'm thinking of altering and using shortening in place of butter, but I haven't done it yet myself, so am unsure of the flavor difference.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Is there something wrong with your refrigerator?

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Ok all. Anybody got a good rich chocolate frosting/buttercream that doesn't necessarily need be refrigerated? I got a quick 5 minute recipe but it needs to be refrigerated due to the use of butter. I'm thinking of altering and using shortening in place of butter, but I haven't done it yet myself, so am unsure of the flavor difference.

You know butter can survive for quite some time unrefrigerated, yeah? I've heard people from Europe say they think it's weird we refrigerate our butter here in the US. And our eggs, too, for what that's worth.

edited September 2020
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

You know butter can survive for quite some time unrefrigerated, yeah? I've heard people from Europe say they think it's weird we refrigerate our butter here in the US. And our eggs, too, for what that's worth.

Well, I can tell you that we refrigerate our eggs in the US because we wash them and that removes the protective layer (the cuticle that allows for oxygen transfer while stopping bacteria). In Europe, they do not wash that layer off so they do not need to refrigerate them.

As far as butter goes, yes I am aware of things such as butter bells and butter dishes. I am just wondering how the buttercream would last/keep if used on a cake, under a ganache layer, and then just store on the counter on a cake stand under the dome. I don't have the most experience using buttercream, and I have not really kept it out myself. However, this cake is going to be part of an upcoming birthday gift (used on my death by chocolate cake) and am unsure of their refrigeration situation. Hence the question.

RightfulSin on
    "If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The frosting should last about the same amount of time as the cake itself, I feel?

As long as the cake is still edible, the frosting should be too.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I wouldn’t stress about it and just use it.

Saying that the butter may start to come apart in excessively hot days or high humidity due to weather or evaporative air con. It would need to be more than 33 degrees in the house to have any real problems.

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    The weather is prohibiting any harvesting so instead I have attempted to answer the burning question plaguing us all, namely: is there a palatable keto-friendly substitute for the humble potato fry?
    No.

vz6q990gibw9.jpg

So we have, clockwise from the top: Oven baked turnip, oven baked swede, air fryer swede, air fryer turnip.

The oven baked ones were pre-rubbed with parmesan, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, garlic granules and onion granules.

Baked turnip shrivelled up a bit too much and came out overly bitter, baked swede was probably the overall winner, air fryer swede was a bit bland but somehow air fryer turnip takes second place as the bitterness doesn't dominate.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    for Keto friendly chips try quickly roasting some grated parmesan cheese and letting it harden again. That what my wife and I did when we wanted a quick salty snack

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    I've been interested in trying out traditional New England dishes and today baked Anadama bread:

pcP49XW.jpeg

It was a big failure! The bread fell during baking, it was way too salty, and you couldn't taste the molasses at all. More attempts required...

xet8c.gif

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    for Keto friendly chips try quickly roasting some grated parmesan cheese and letting it harden again. That what my wife and I did when we wanted a quick salty snack

Use a sil pat for this if you have one, they come out great.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    The thing I'd worry about for the buttercream is the ambient temperature. Food safety wise it should be fine, but if the room/location is too hot or may become very soft and cause problems for cutting nice slices.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I could never find a decent keto fry-replacement.

That said, swede/rutabega does a pretty good potato impression in soup/chowders.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    ooooh. Kenji Lopez-Alt asked his viewers for recommendations for cooking channels run by women and one of them was Refika's Kitchen, which covers mostly Turkish cuisine

I'm immediately a fan, and will probably pick up some ground beef to try her no-spit doner meat method this weekend:

https://youtu.be/ZEF354SpSxg

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I've got a couple of female chefs I follow on Insta that give me tons of inspiration:

Noor Murad works at Ottolenghi's test kitchen:

Anaïs Ca Dao van Manen does R&D for Bao in London

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I made tacos. Took the trouble to do some sous vide chicken thighs, pulled off the skin and crisped it up to be crumbled on top, made some tasty Mexican black beans, and topped with some hot sauce, lime, cilantro, avocado, mango, and corn

They were worth the effort, so good

Atheraal on
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I’m going to go ahead and post this in this thread and the bad food thread as I’m interested to see the results.

So, being a white male in the US that’s eaten at a variety of restaurants that have curries, I want to know what “curry” means to you. I know it differs based on personal taste, location, recipe and availability of ingredients.

So when you say “It’s CURRY night tonight!”, be it made at home or take out, what is your go to curry you consider “The Currry”.

50433.png?1708759015
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    y'all, I was feeling creative tonight and oh boy did it work out

g3xmjcrmdd8i.png

Pork was marinated in a mix of spices, pineapple juice, and a splash of whiskey

made a salsa out of grilled pineapple and jalapenos, smashed cucumbers and some lime juice to bring it all together

mixed the zest of the lime with some sour cream

holy shit that was good

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    I’m going to go ahead and post this in this thread and the bad food thread as I’m interested to see the results.

So, being a white male in the US that’s eaten at a variety of restaurants that have curries, I want to know what “curry” means to you. I know it differs based on personal taste, location, recipe and availability of ingredients.

So when you say “It’s CURRY night tonight!”, be it made at home or take out, what is your go to curry you consider “The Currry”.

I love a good variety of different type of curries. If I'm buying or making Indian food I'll generally use the specific dish names rather than "curry".

So I guess if I'm talking about curry it could mean anything from Malaysian dishes like Curry Laksa or Kari Ayam, a Thai Green/Yellow/Red curry, or a Japanese curry. Could even be the old classic curried egg sandwich.

I guess I don't really use the term curry without qualifiers because of how broad the term is and how accessible many different types of curries are in Melbourne both in terms of ingredients and quality restaurant options.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Same, except not Melbourne, but curry isn't nearly specific enough of a term to use by itself. I will say we usually mean an Indian curry if we're referring to curry, since that's most of what we cook and order in.

My partner and I make an English style beef and potato curry that's basically just an improvement of the recipe on the side of a Keen's curry powder tin that we generally refer to as "curry" as in "I'm going to cook curry tomorrow night". If we're making a different kind of curry then we'll refer to it specifically by name like a Saag or a Jalfrezi.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm going to try making pickled perilla leaves

6uluq89f1zeh.jpg

mla4t7hce8z2.jpg

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'll be following this story, my wife was telling me the other day that you can eat those and they're plentiful in our area (which is also your area) so if they're delicious I need to know.

I walked by several bushels worth!

• ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    I'll be following this story, my wife was telling me the other day that you can eat those and they're plentiful in our area (which is also your area) so if they're delicious I need to know.

Perilla is delicious! It is used a lot as a fresh herb in Vietnamese cuisine, and a few other Asian cuisines I think.

phew, that is a pretty intense flavor!

not quite sure what to do with it honestly. I almost feel like it'd be better as an ingredient in a marinade it's so strong. Not bad though

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I’ve used it as a last-minute ingredient in slow-cooked stews and stuff. But yeah, it needs something hella robust to balance off of

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Autumn is happening fast and early this year, so I'm making V1m-style slow cooked chili, with beef, chick and belly pork, and 2 different kinds of beans. And just plenty of chilies.

It's been cooking low and slow for somewhat over 2 hours now. Aint had chili for months. My body is ready.

edited September 2020
    this has been on hold for a while but I'm back on it

just need to do the roof, door, soffit, and corner trim

47j02qt8qhc0.jpg

edit: I found someone selling old roofing! So I get a metal roof for $15 =)

Xaquin on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I absolutely love your tiny meat home. Well done!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    First meal back at home! My goto steak and veggies. So good.

c7fm8nukgvf8.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    Making an earl gray yogurt cake right now. The house smells like concentrated tea and also cake which is a great combo honestly. Also I had to use like 14 (reasonably high quality) tea bags because I couldn't get lose leaf after work.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I need to know more about this cake.

It's a visceral need.

Hmmm..... I am trying to think of a good change up for my work lunch. I have been doing yogurt and kiefer with banana fruit and homemade granola for a while now. Trying to think of something lighter but filling, not to pricey, and can be made somewhat quickly and/or ahead of time for the week.

I can refrigerate at work. Was thinking maybe a noodle/veggie noodle salad dish thing with a protein of some sort. Advice?

Tiiiinnnnnn Roof!
    rusted
    partially

iodh97um26qp.jpg

Hmmm..... I am trying to think of a good change up for my work lunch. I have been doing yogurt and kiefer with banana fruit and homemade granola for a while now. Trying to think of something lighter but filling, not to pricey, and can be made somewhat quickly and/or ahead of time for the week.

I can refrigerate at work. Was thinking maybe a noodle/veggie noodle salad dish thing with a protein of some sort. Advice?

How about small serves of your dinner meals in Tupperware-like containers (because who's got the money for real Tupperware these days)?
    I did that for years when I was a mechanic, and do it now out of sheer laziness.

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Positive fiendishrabbit "Ah. Homemade tortillas with slow cooked chicken, mango salsa and shredded cheese"
    2020 Fiendishrabbit: "You've made a spicy fruit salad with chicken and bread. You're basically at the same level as Subway Rabbit. Basically a Subway"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    Cook Club last week was Three Sisters.

And since I'm always behind on everything right now, I made it tonight!

Frozen broad beans, frozen spinach, frozen peas, mushrooms, fresh corn, buttercrown pumpkin, and green courgette/zucchini.

I used garlic, salt, pepper, and some sage, a couple shakes of chili powder, and lemon juice with a bit of veggie stock. Served on rice. topped with sunflower and pumpkin seeds

was very very very good.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Tiiiinnnnnn Roof!
    rusted

I dunno, you should probably finish the smoker before you try putting a bun in the oven

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.