[D&D 5E] "The Curse"- Villam

2456728

Posts

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited September 18
    Anyway:

    Have a character sheet. (I'll dump this into a Google doc later)

    Irah Hullbreaker, 1st Level Barbarian (Pirate background)
    Human (Variant)
    I hate alignment but if i have to: Chaotic Neutral (not a lol random, just Irah's priority is Irah, her sea raven, treasure, and everything else in that priority. Yoho!)

    Stats:

    STR: 16 (+3)
    DEX: 14 (+2)
    CON: 16 (+3)
    INT: 10 (+0)
    WIS: 8 (-1)
    CHA: 8 (-1)

    15/15 HP
    Ac: 15 (unarmored defense)

    Saving throws: Str (+5), Con (+5), Dex (+2), Int (+0), Wis (-1), Cha (-1)

    Skill proficiency: Athletics (+5), Acrobatics (+2), Stealth, Intimidate, Investigate
    Tool Proficiency: Navigator's tools, Vehicles (Water)

    Equipment

    Hullbreaker: Irah's Anchor: (Refluffed maul), Heavy, Two Handed, 2d6 Bludgeoning, +5 to hit
    Handaxe x2: Light, Thrown, - 1d6 Slashing, +5 to hit, 20/60 range
    Bellaying Pin: Club, 1d6 bludgeoning
    Javelins x4
    Explorer's Pack

    10 GP, a small tub of red woad face-paint (her trinket from her background), generic clothing (very ragged, probably smells. That -1 Cha doesn't come from nowhere. Cleanliness is not next to godliness for Irah). Belt pouch contains 10 gp ((This is the cost of summoning a familiar, so if you want me to deduct that, lemme know!))

    Feat: Magic Initiate
    Cantrips: Mage Hand, Minor Illusion
    1st Level spell: Find Familiar

    Irah's Familiar (Help me name it, folks!): A four-eyed jet black osprey sort of bird. Uses the Owl stat block. Relevant bits:

    Skills
    Perception +3, Stealth +3
    Flyby: The Sea Raven doesn't provoke Opportunity Attacks when it flies out of an enemy's reach.
    Keen Hearing and Sight: The Sea Raven has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or sight.
    Dex+2

    Background: Irah rose to fame as a pirate and adventurer after single handily boarding a minor wizard's boat and using it's own anchor to proceed to send it, the mage, and it's crew to the bottom of the harbor. The anchor has since become her signature weapon. She also stole a tome, though all that survived from it after it's sea-water bath were instructions on the cantrip and familiar. When pressed on WHY she did this, all she answer is "Fucker had it coming!". It's entirely possible she had a genuine grievance... or just got a rude comment on her smell at some point. Might be both.

    Personality: Loud, tactless, and brutal. Negotiations usually break down into her demonstrating exactly how easily she can break things. It's been a very successful method for her! (Think Str + Intimidate for her goto). Smarter than she looks, but reckless - She finds traps, and then just tries to break them rather than any fancy disarming. Maybe this is why she's got scars everywhere! A good friend if you can earn her loyalty, but her priority is generally herself first foremost. still, she's not stupid: She will help other people because they might help her down the track in return. You burn ships bridges to the ground when you're 110% done with them, and not before. She's actively scornful of people who back-stab or similar - Enlightened self interest is her approach. She may have even read about in a book once or twice.

    One firm way into her friendship is to give her books, particularly tomes of philsophy, magic, religion, and history. Even her friends are unclear on if she reads these for entertainment, knowledge, or just to find new targets to rob down the line. Given she only tends to recall random bits and bobs, it's probably the latter. Or the cranial trauma from headbutting traps apart. One of the two.

    Will absolute mess with everyone and everything via mage hand and illusion when she's bored.

    Appearance: nearly two meters tall. built like a Brick shithouse. Braids. Face paint covering the top half of her head, usually bright red. Random tattoos across arms, mostly of places she's been. Grubby. May smell very, very bad (Swimming in the ocean counts as bathing, yes?). Various scars, because she's really not shy on getting hurt. Tends to go around with pants with a rope belt for her pants, a crude breast band, and very little else. All her gear is attached to her pack, save her anchor which she carries over one shoulder, and her axes are kept at her sides. Has a small pouch of spell components for her cantrips at her side as well

    The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    GlalAustinP0027Endless_Serpents
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited September 18
    Redoing the character post just so I can have a place to edit background/personality/appearance into as I work all those out.

    Oak
    1st level barbarian (Sailor background)
    Oak Character Sheet

    Background:

    Personality: Stoic and stubborn. Oak is the kind to let trouble come to him instead of seeking it out, but is quick to settle it in absolutes when it does find him. He's not afraid to crack a skull when needed, and isn't much for negotiating, but is content to let the other person decide how they want him to end the situation. He never hesitates to run into the thick of the fray, and probably the moments where he is most likely to react quickly to insults are when someone challenges his courage.

    Oak finds the company of others entertaining, and but limits his interactions to a small group of loyal companions. At a large party, you would find him sitting on the side keeping out of the crowd, but around a fire, he's an active part of the conversation.


    Appearance: Large, but in the way a strongman is large. His muscles are for use, not for show. His Shifter nature means he has fur like hair covering almost his entire body, including a fur looking beard on his face. His face has a flat nose, large golden eyes, and bear-like ears that stick out of the long brown hair that drapes over his shoulders. He doesn't often smile, but when he does, his sharp canine teeth are very noticeable. His skin is a darker brown color, just a few shades lighter than the fur-hair growing all over.
    Image Reference:
    5171832a4a3be65e0903e0e99bebcdb7.jpg

    AustinP0027 on
    Endless_Serpents
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @AustinP0027 Your dnd beyond link just sends us back here to the forum.

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Yeah MrPaku pointed that out. Fixed that now.

  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    I wasn't really feeling a Wizard, so I've settled on Urixes, a Warlock with the Lurker in the Deep patron.

    I think Urixes is inexorably tied to The Whispered Curse, as it was the name of the ship he sailed on when he died hundreds of years ago. As his drowned body floated to the darkest depths of the sea, he was found by an ancient, sleeping evil. He made a deal with that creature: incredible power in exchange for using that power to wake the Lurker from its slumber. No matter how many times Urixes has awoken on the shore, his mind foggy with the fragments of his past lives, he always finds his way back to The Whispered Curse, and he always goes back on his deal, seeking to destroy the Lurker instead of waking it. Every time he succeeds, sacrificing his own life in the process, but it begins the cycle anew. His corrupted body becomes the new Lurker, and a new Urixes awakes, destined to begin the hunt again.

    If that's all acceptable then I think I'm ready!

    AustinP0027The Zombie PenguinEndless_Serpents
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited September 18
    Jack (middle name Just, last name Jack)
    1st level Fighter (Sailor)
    Character sheet

    Background: Jack's first memory was standing naked in the middle of a pile of dead chickens, getting cussed out by an old hag bearing down on him with a broom. Fleeing, stumbling and confused, he only has a hazy memory of the woman yelling something along the lines of "and ye won't be a wolf no more if ye cross the seven seas!" after him.
    Depite his human body the werewolf's (wolfwere's?) smarts are not that much better than before, so he took it to mean his salvation lay somewhere across the sea and began to travel.

    Personality: direct and clumsy with social cues. Always balancing between being subdued to blend in and boisterous and rowdy, depending on the amount of alcohol consumed and arguments being had. Deep down still just a dumb wolf, operating on the level of "pack member" and "not pack member" when it comes to trusting people and not above punching someone to resolve an issue quickly.

    Appearance: having been cursed as an adolescent wolf he now wears the body of a short 5'6" man in his early 20s. Grows taller when shifting. Black hair, dark tanned skin and gray eyes with a fashion sense that doesn't extend beyond wearing basic clothes under his tatty suit of leather armour. All things considered probably lucky he's wearing pants.


    His race is marked down as Longtooth Shifter, as that's the closest official approximation of a werewolf, though unlike a Shifter he can fully transform into a wolf.

    Glal on
    Endless_Serpentszekebeau
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    @The Zombie Penguin I feel with such a rough and tumble character, your bird should be a more restrained and noble sort. Lord Feathery the third?

    Arno was born to a wondering changeling group, an odd one out among oddballs, he would often run off from the group to explore some untraveled trail or follow an odd animal. She claims she learned druidic from a flower, and a squirrel showed him how to cast spells. Also claims the sky is really pink, your eyes just interpret it as blue, so take her tales with some salt.

    A bit flighty and distracted but always good natured, give him a new creature to befriend or a new island to explore and you can get a laser like focus. Eats meat but abhorrs killing for fun or cruelty, any creature.

    Looks: depends, rarely in a body more than a few hours, likes goliath and gnome a bit.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    @Glaeal so how's the mechanics of wolf form going to be handled?

    Also, are we using inspiration? Even if it's just mrpaku handing out, it's a good system! More dice to roll and cash in is fun

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Inspiration Tokens *will* in use. They will be non-transferable, you may carry one at a time, and they allow you to roll an additional 1d20 with any action roll (before, not after) and drop the lower dice total. The odds of the DM making the party *trip* over each other in the next grand attempt to earn an Inspiration Token will be *high*

    Additionally!

    Non-Lethal Damage: If, after damage is rolled, an opponent's health drops below 0 HP, the attacker will have the option to knock out their opponent rather than kill them. This option will not be allowed for ranged weapons without a roll of 20 or higher. This option will not be allowed for spells or rages.

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Implying we're going to take captives. Ha.

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Man I'm never finding a good character picture for this guy

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 19
    I was just about to hit you up. Wasn't sure if I should give you a day or two first because of...*waves generally at today*. What are you looking for specifically here? You're the final chess piece in the crew, man...lemme know if I can help or if you wanna bounce ideas

    [Thought this was a PM- performing dinner and baths with the boys and putting your guys stuff in docs and whatnot-apologies!]

    mrpaku on
    The Zombie Penguin
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    @Glaeal so how's the mechanics of wolf form going to be handled?
    It's not really been set in stone yet, since it's very much in DM fiat land and I didn't want to spam mrpaku with endless DMs discussing just this one mechanic while they're busy planning a full campaign, but in my mind it's just a regular four legger wolf with the Shifter bite attack and Jack's stats (where it makes sense) for ease of handling.

    So, if it happened in the middle of combat you'd just end up with a frustrated feral wolf tangled up in some clothes and armour. Think Angua from Diskworld, minus the smarts.

    The Zombie Penguin
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Feels like questions may be winding down a bit already- Is there anyone present who would be opposed to me posting the opening act this weekend, or do we need a bit more time to set up?]

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    DO IT

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    AustinP0027
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    edited September 19
    Go go go!

    edit] Oh hey, found a moderately fitting image! He'll mostly look like a human, but you know, this is the more interesting form.
    a0bp9h4d7zhk.png

    Glal on
    AustinP0027
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 19
    FAR AESTON, “THE LAST LIGHT OF THE WEST”



    Far Aeston lies just at the edge of the Twilight Expanse and what is known of charted civilization, a five day journey from the Western Coast by Sea in *good weather*. It began as a small and secluded mining colony some-nearly thirty years ago now, and since then has blossomed into the burgeoning and wealthy Hub of the entire region. The island of Far Aeston has been led beginning at its founding by the indomitable Governor Nathaniel Mitchum, a man as famous for his wealth and foresight as he is notorious for his stern and haughty disposition (here he would be compared in the same breath to a Rockefeller, a Vanderbilt, a Carnegie). The Mitchum Estate, a towering and ostentatious manor home, sits at the northern end of the island, occupying an entire hilltop and then-some, surrounded on all sides by Old Town (the “nice” part of town), which itself is surrounded by a high stone wall and guarded at all gates, at all times.

    d2avpmiqeh6b.png

    The island has been stripped of most of its former natural beauty by now, as the mine and developments have slowly crept out over the island. The center of the city has been taken over almost entirely with retaining walls and scaffolding, and the docks have grown like weeds swallowing up the southern beaches. Only in occasional and spotty patches can you see the vibrant trees and foliage which thirty years ago made up the island in its entirety. Specifically, the entire western edge of the island has been dug-out and overturned, stripped and flattened: it is now dotted every few feet with tents, lean-tos, rough communal gazebos and scrap-assembled structures. The ground here is wet and muddied nearly everywhere, rough trenches dug into it at seemingly random points (to ensure it *remains* wet-and-muddied, to those who would care to ask). Here is the Lizardfolk encampment, which sits for most hours of the day *literally* in the shadow of the Mitchum Estate. This island, *all of it*, once belonged to them, or at least, to their sires. They have *not* forgotten.

    9bpq3cqofq3f.png

    On opposite ends of the Town Square lie the House of Healing (to the west, attempting to equally serve both the Lizardfolk and Upper Class communities), and Edgar and Sons Outfitting and Supplies (to the east, attempting to equally serve both the general population and the tourism industry). Just due west of the Lizard Encampment lies the Town Jail. And just off of the docks, right before you enter the Town Square proper, sits The Loony Schooner: tavern and inn, flophouse to the notorious; a sprawling institution that very likely forms the *true* backbone of Far Aeston industry.

    hgy7nbf807uc.png

    [ALL PLAYERS:- We will assume for time’s sake that you all have already inquired at the Town Docks about this job, with the exception of Michael and Bern. A rough, quick physical has been conducted (“Stick out yer’ tongue”), names and personal details taken down in the ship’s log, (“*Just* Jack, then?), papers signed or stamped (“ ‘Kind of pirate needs *papers?”)

    The pirate processing you (with no small amount of amusement on his part) nods, considers everything in order. “We’ll be expecting you on board ready to ship out come high noon tomorrow. *Don’t* be late and make us come find you, or try to skip out on us…wouldn’t end well for you. S’pose you’ll be wanting your up front then. Ere’, don’t be the bugger that spent it all the night before, eh?”

    *clink-clink-clink*

    Every player receives 50gp.

    It is the morning of your last day in civilization for what may be *quite* some time. The sun shines gorgeously down on the island. There is a gentle, soft breeze. But just off in the eastern distance, grey storm clouds are beginning to come into sight. Where do you go to spend your day?]

    1. The Docks

    2. The Loony Schooner

    3. Town Square

    4. House of Healing

    5. Edgar & Sons Outfitting & Supplies

    6. Lizardfolk Encampment

    7. Old Town District

    8. The Mitchum Estate
    CASUAL MOVEMENT

    (I promise I’m gonna work on my map making skills this weekend) You have the day to wander and explore the town Far Aeston. Please choose a starting place for your character. Your character will be able to spend a reasonable amount of time in the area, exploring, spending, exposition-ing. When they are ready to move on, let the DM know (…) and choose a new location, connected to your current location.

    Different phases of the day may bring different opportunities in all locations. Choosing to remain in a given location *is* an option.

    Since this is the introduction, I’ll let PCs bump into each other and interact as their players see/don’t see fit (maybe you recognized each other from the ship signup! Maybe you didn’t see each other at all!) Your character will be able to visit three locations today in this way before the storm clouds finish rolling in and drive you to shelter. Your character also has the option to sit and drink at The Loony Schooner all day long. Because pirates!

    - The Docks connects to The Loony Schooner and Edgar & Sons Outfitting & Supplies

    - The Town Square connects to The Docks, The Loony Schooner, Edgar & Sons Outfitting & Supplies, House of Healing, Old Town District, and The Lizardfolk Encampment

    - Old Town District connects to the House of Healing, Edgar & Sons Outfitting & Supplies, and The Mitchum Estate

    Once everyone has posted their starting location, we may begin!

    mrpaku on
    Endless_SerpentsGlalAustinP0027The Zombie Penguin
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    [Clarification: At this point, you are *only* choosing your 1st starting destination, nothing more. If you would like (and I would prefer if you did!), you can post a small out-of-character explanation of *why* your character would be going there in particular on your last day on island. Once everyone has chosen, you'll all be given your scene settings, and *at that point* you are free to go just hog wild]

  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The sun shines down, glinting off the anchor over Irah Hullbreaker's shoulder. Alkono her four-eyed Sea Raven sits on her shoulder, cawing. In Irah's head, Alkono chatters: "Tools and toys, supplies and surprises, ...snacks?". Irah just laughs, juggling a gold coin in her free hand. An a willy urchin jumps up and grabs it at one point and Irah laughs harder as the coin remains in her hand, the urchin's quick hands having grabbed naught but light and air. She's not fool enough to juggle a real coin as she heads to Outfitters

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    mrpaku
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    Urixes starts the day as he starts most days, standing on the docks and staring out over the ocean. "Looks like rain," he says to no one in particular, scowling at the coming clouds as he sips a hot mug of something cheap. Eventually he'll make his way into the town proper, but for now there's brooding to be done and he's just the haunted soul to do it.

    mrpaku
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    SPLAT

    The lizardfolk in the neighboring pit shakes himself, clearing the muck from his hide to make it easier to bask in the early morning light. "What a wonderful nights sleep. Why don't more people coat themselves with mud right before bed" Arno thinks, stretching the scaled muscles he currently wore. The lizardfolk had been so kindly, sharing tales of the island pure and wild, telling Arno of places that still held some life and potentially useful healing herbs. It was too bad the mine had wiped so much beauty away. But maybe when the lizardfolk take the island back, they can bring back the forests. Some of the older folks shook their heads at that suggestion, but Arno had seen more than a few younglings perk up and nod in agreement. After all, Arno had remarked, humans can't hold their breath very well, have to put their armor on every morning, and need to pick up weapons to fight. The younglings seemed very keen to share tales and ale with Arno after those observations. It felt good to help.

    Well, still had some gold in the pocket, so need to pick up some things. Herbs, new hide armor, and of course some sardines for Lord Alkono Feathery the third, for when she met Irah later.

    OCC: Are we using the crafting rules where with an herbalism kit and a day, a healing potion can be made for 25gp? Because I would like to do that.

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    zekebeau wrote: »
    OCC: Are we using the crafting rules where with an herbalism kit and a day, a healing potion can be made for 25gp? Because I would like to do that.

    [Yes, unless stated otherwise. The ability to make potions easily and without a failure rate may break down if and when any of the other systems break down. Making remedies homemade, off-ship, -survival-island style will likely prove dicey for anyone without specific knowledge.... initially...

    For now...potions made aboard ship have a chance to produce *two doses of the potion* if someone competent rolls an 18 or higher upon their creation. Potions made with a roll below 3 rot and spoil on the *vine* out here


    Note: clearer explanation added to the second post under "Weird Magic"]

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak scratches at his beard as he breathes in this town air. There was a smell of salt here but it was lighter than it would be at sea. He was ready for another voyage, but for now, he sat comfortably in the town square, watching as people pass by.

    mrpaku
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    Michael

    Geth roll 1d20+5 for shaking
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for stirring

    Michael jots down a note in his recipe book: "Both shaking and stirring produce passable results"

    shaking:
    1d20+5 8 [1d20=3]
    stirring:
    1d20+5 9 [1d20=4]

    Sleep on
  • zekebeauzekebeau Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for herbalism (add wis or int maybe? +2 prof at least)

    Sprig of this, berry of that, *sniff* ugh...definably more of that.

    herbalism (add wis or int maybe? +2 prof at least):
    1d20+2 19 [1d20=17]

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Jack hops off the dock bollard he'd been sitting on, eyes following the last of the 'recruits'. These are the people he'll spend the next few weeks with, eh? Straightening up to his full five foot six, the youth whose physique can charitably be described as 'lanky' nods, a thought clear in his head. He can take 'em.

    Heading back to town he weighs the money pouch in his pocket. What would a smart wolf do? Gold won't help on the ship, clearly he'd best buy some gear. After spending some silver on street vendor food and tchotchkes he finally thinks better of it and heads towards Edgar & Sons. Smart wolf.

    mrpaku
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ((Dammit, i was going to have Irah troll Jack with illusionary food, but he's already eaten. troll the dog person later!))

    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    Glal
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    Edgar & Sons Outfitting & Supplies (Jack and Irah)

    You come upon Edgar & Sons Outfitting & Supplies. It is a large, all-purpose general store built in log cabin-fashion, resting atop a stone cliff face overlooking the eastern edge of the island. When you arrive and go to pull the handle, you notice the door is actually already open a crack…

    Entering, you find yourself in a nearly still-darkened warehouse. Mostly it’s the sun peeking through half opened windows that casts any light in here. Tall shelves, stretching up two floors, line every wall on both sides, and run forty yards all the way to the back of the store. Barrels, containing bait, seed, feed, are stacked running down the middle of the walkway. Cords of wood, lengths of rope, fishing equipment, blocks of salt…everything you’d need to get by out here, or out on the ocean, line the shelves, the walls. Way at the back of the shop sits a desk, tucked partially under the plank stairs to the second story. You mainly notice it because the lantern sitting there is the only source of light in the shop, and because of the thick, mournful noise coming from behind it…

    “jus’ t’udder dey…he say danksfera’bal’ Da come les’ happa-play…Con e’ teach me to’trow, says na’t’day…”

    Behind the desk (but on the floor, not in a chair), lies the proprietor of Edgar & Sons, Mr. Edgar himself. He is clearly still drunk from the night before, because when he notices you, he attempts to get up and spills the rest of his drink…attempts to catch it…fails at both attempts and ends up back on the floor. He laughs as his ass hits. Then his mood changes, suddenly embarrassed and defensive. He shouts a greeting, “Dya wan? E’Shup ain’t e open until mawrn?”

    233n8suwux8d.png

    At the sound of the tankard and large man clanging around, a door opposite the desk slams open and a young woman, obviously harried and put upon but very pretty, emerges very annoyed. “Oy, Pa, ye great dumoaf, it en’t…,” she notices the two of you. “Ay! Cust’mers! En’a shup en’t evan…”, she begins to hastily bustle around the shop, lighting lanterns, throwing open windows. As she takes care of her morning chores in haste, she attempts to “assist” you over her shoulder. “How k’elp yewlot? Got nice grey fixins’, tomp-a-wump, bixels, sprot'o boatel ri'hear, an't 'er’y t’other, dependin’ which’ya need?” The sober young woman is somehow more incomprehensible than her father…

    [Irah and Jack, you’re *pretty* sure the young woman just opened her shop and told you to look around and get what you need. If you think you picked up anything else in that bit of regional dialect, make a Wisdom check]

    GENERAL STORE
    [Note: If there's something general you were expecting to find in the shop and didn't, let me know...they might be able to find it in the back somewhere!]

    [Add. Note: This post has been updated to include all items from the Tailor, Rogue's Den, Bard, Guild Hall, Blacksmith, Magic Shop, Fletcher, and Apothecary links at the Edgar & Sons. ]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    The Docks (Urixes)

    The docks teem with sailors of all shapes and sizes. Loading their cargo, unpacking equipment, preparing for sendoff. The area around The Whispered Curse in particular hangs rife with cusses, cigar smoke…loud laughs and playful jeers. People all warn each other of the coming storm. Everywhere sailors aren’t already, the birds begin to congregate. They hop a few feet whenever anyone walks by, then hop right back again. Two business men hold a vigorous discussion aboard ship about the proper price of steer as the cows mill about them, bored. Every inch of the docks feels *alive* this morning.

    “Fairly bad rains, too, I would imagine,” a soft, sweet voice answers to Urixes question. A man stands behind you a few feet, looking out over the same stretch of ocean. You’re not sure how long he’s been there.

    ptv7w4l3bcwq.png
    [The Gentleman on your right there? *That's* your guy]

    The man smiles kindly when you notice him, nods an acknowledgement. “I’m sorry if I interrupted you. The look on your face…you’ll pardon me for saying so, but...you looked very far away.”

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 21
    Lizardfolk Encampment (Arno)

    [Arno adds x2 Potions of Healing to her inventory]

    The lizardfolk are at their morning meals, becoming louder and more active as the sun rises. Strange smells waft from newly kindled campfires. Lizard households bring buckets down to the water’s edge and return to sling it onto the already drying mud every hour or so. Many of the workers are beginning to grab their pickaxes and heading into town. Nearly all greet Arno to some extent or another when they see her…the lizardfolk had mostly been somewhat taken with the Changeling, the rare guest who seemed to truly take in and appreciate their culture. At first it was only toleration, but by her last night here, many seemed to treat her well in spite of themselves. They even shared a small portion of their evening meal with her.

    One in particular runs over when they see you.

    pg3mio18x973.png

    “Changeling!” Droshk hails Arno. “Sssssooo glad I found you before you left!” He points down the main road and bridge you came in on. “Don’t go *that* way. The brethren who sssspit at you during yesterday’s meal know you have money and lie in wait. They would kill you if they could, but they do thissss only to feed themssselves.”

    Droshk gives you a long, hard stare…evaluating you. Finally, he seems to come to a decision about something. Reaching into a pouch on his belt, he digs around…eventually pulling out what appears to be a Lizard Dew Claw. Half of it appears to be covered in some kind of red paint. He presents it to you in his palm; a gesture of friendship from a Lizardman.

    “Take thisss. The Twilight Expansssse isss a holy plasssse, but it isss not a plasssse you ssshould be tressspasssing. I hope for you sssaafety, but you likely will not return, and are going to die out there. *Thissss* token may protect you, ssshould you ssssshow it to one of my brethren insssside. I can do nossssing more for you”

    [Arno adds “Red-Ringed Lizard Claw” to her inventory]

    mrpaku on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    Town Square (Oak)

    t1kcuq6y3een.png

    The Center of Far Aeston is the city at both it’s best and worst. Many of the buildings and shops are beautiful, classical…indeed, some of the most *charming* architecture you’ve maybe ever seen! Scenic park spaces, with newly carved benches and gazebos. Beautiful trees and finely maintained flora. Lush tufts of tall grass. A cobblestone paved road lines the park space and nearby tourist district, with food carts offering delicious treats every few feet. This place seems truly *beautiful*.

    ia1x5h6sdtxi.png

    And then you turn your head. And again. And dotted everywhere between all this beauty are holes dug out the side of hills, scaffolding loosely maintaining integrity. A rabbit’s warren of ladders leading down and around, tattered awnings built overhead sagging with rain and dirt. Miners flow in and out constantly, loading carts, grabbing equipment. The miners vary by race, but are easily made up of fifty-percent Lizardfolk by volume. Some of these miners look *young*. They don’t frequent the food carts, or enter or leave by the cobblestone roads. The incongruity isn’t lost on anyone: as you walk, you can hear the miners complain loudly about the tourists and city folk; the city folk exchange cruel jokes just quietly enough to be overheard.

    There is a beautiful fountain that makes up the official center point of the town. It is ostentatious, carved from marble, obviously imported and produced at a fantastic cost. Water jets up at intervals from underneath in four different spots every thirty seconds. People longue around it, reading, talking, dipping hands languidly into the water. The true eye-catcher is the statue in the middle: A large marble carving of a kraken emerging from the center of the water, holding a solid glass silver sphere the size of a basketball in it’s seeking tentacles. Also holding the sphere, from the sky, as if caught in a permanent tug-of-war with the kraken, is a majestic dragon. The dragon’s wings spread far, it’s eyes deep sunken hollows. “It’s actually a replica,” you hear a tourist try to inform his partner. “They dug out the original just last year, way underground in one of the mines. *Five* times that size. The hollows where it’s eyes aren’t? When they found the original, they were filled with rubies, big as your *fist*.” “That’s nice, dear,” his partner says, from behind a book.

    As you take all this in, you notice someone here has noticed you. Just across the way, a motley group of pirates has been watching you. They seem to just be hanging out, talking- not in any apparent rush to get anywhere. But they’re definitely looking at *you* right now. This group is made up of a Kitsune, a Lapine, a Grung, and an Aarakorra.

    [Please forgive me for what I am about to do]
    5v7c1mp0r2kv.png

    The Lapine smiles broadly at you.

    mrpaku on
    Endless_SerpentsGlal
  • DenadaDenada Registered User regular
    "Mmm," Urixes grunts in acknowledgement. "Guess you could say that." He takes another sip as he sizes up the man. "Something I can do for you?"

  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    OOC: I'll let Irah go first, so we're not stepping on each other's toes. Plus, there was mention of messing with Jack and I am down with that.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    Urixes

    "Oh no, no...he replies almost sadly. "I believe I receive more assistance than a man should rightfully feel entitled to, as it is, I'm afraid. But I appreciate your offer all the same, my good sir!...I just look around at all, *this*," he waves around the docks, "the hustle and bustle, a hundred men of action like milling ants!" He slams his cane on the dock for emphasis. "And yet, you stand thinking. I appreciate the act of introspection, and choose to recognize it as one sign of a quality character!" He leans over a bit, drops his voice to a friendly whisper. "Or perhaps, like me, you just love the ocean."

    mrpaku on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak

    Oak’s eyes are more drawn to the mines than the fountain. Fancy things are for fancy people, and Oak doesn’t have much interest in being fancy. He snorts lightly as the tourists talk of rubies, likely folk who hadn’t seen much more gold than he had himself but like to pretend they had.

    His eyes are eventually drawn to a different group hanging in the square, a group of four pirates across the way. As one smiles directly at him, Oak is suddenly keenly award of the gold in his pocket. He had planned to save it, maybe find something more exciting than the general supplies this town would have to spend it on, but now, he wondered if he’d get the chance.

    Oak said nothing and did nothing, his eyes staring at the Lapine for a moment before looking back towards the fountain. He kept the group in sight but made an effort to appear to not be looking directly at them, his hand checking that his sword was in reach.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Oak

    The crowds are really starting to swarm around here...you can tell a big event is in town. Many of the citizens look at each other annoyed, as the tourists and sailors and fishermen and new recruits all start to jostle each other for walking space. A large group of teenage girls, poorly disguised and giggling, have all decided to spend their morning watching for pirates, in clear defiance of their parents wishes. They congregate near the fountain, standing obnoxiously between Oak and his new friends. Someone says something about birds and they all break into *giggles*.

    Oak, between the girl's giggling heads, you can see the Kitsune weaving around, trying to get your attention. He's waving you over. You can't make out his expression.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak

    Oak stands up, determining that he isn't going to get the quiet day he had hoped for before they set off. He sees the Kitsune waving him over, and he turns and walks away. He has no interest in this group or what they might want to discuss, so he will head into one of the local businesses instead.

    OOC: Attempting to just go into the Supplies store and avoid this group.

  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Oak

    "Hey...hey! Trying to talk to you! Hey, *where you going*?" The Kitsune and his group begin to follow at a steady but not-necessarily threatening pace.

    [They're pretty insistent, Oak. They're following now, but you guys are still separated by the very steady stream of people coming through here. What do you want to do?]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Oak

    Oak stops and turns, taking a deep breath. He wasn't going to run, even if this felt like an annoyance to deal with at the moment.

    "What do you want?"

    mrpaku
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited September 20
    Oak

    The crew jog up to you. The Kitsune is clearly their leader.

    ey0eczswlbsg.png

    "...Good... thought you was gonna be rude, run off on us. *My* name is Shin. These are my associates...Ril (the birdman nods), Fiver (the rabbitman continues smiling that ridiculous smile)...an' Bluuurg (it's hard to tell if the frogman is paying attention to *any* of this). *We* saw *you* this morning signup on the crew of The Whispered Curse, right? You're a cat man." He announces, triumphantly and expectantly.

    mrpaku on
    Glal
Sign In or Register to comment.