As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Among Us] One marination, under sus.

MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice ActorKirkland, WARegistered User regular
edited November 2020 in Games and Technology
n9qn1tup055x.jpg

Greeting crew! Our mission is to get our tasks complete. But be warned, not everything is what it seems. Some of the crew members are actually monstrous Imposters who are trying to kill the Crew. The only defense against the hidden enemy is to vote them out to their doom. Will you vote the right people out? Will the Imposters lie their way to safety? Let’s find out!

Overview
Among Us is a hidden role game like Werewolf or Mafia. It needs 6-10 players, of which, 2 are usually Imposters. The game is broken into 2 phases; the main phase has the players running around a map (spaceship, base, etc) with the Crew completing tasks and the Imposters killing Crew, while the second phase is an Emergency meeting phase where someone may be voted out the game.

The main phase lasts until either and Emergency meeting is called or a dead body is found and reported. Either actions starts the Emergency meeting phase and players have 60-90 seconds to talk about what they saw, prove their innocence, accuse others, and then decide on who (if anyone) they want to vote out. Majority voting rules applies. Ties means no one gets thrown out.

Crew and Imposters
There are two roles, which are secretly revealed at the beginning of the game; Crew or Imposter.

Crew run around completing tasks around the map. If all the tasks are done (tracked by a large green bar filling up), then the Crew wins. They can also win by kicking out both Imposters. The tasks are all mini-games that can take 3-20 seconds to complete. You're screen is mostly blocked while doing the task and you can be killed at any time during the task. So be careful! When a Crew member dies, they become a ghost that can still move around the map finishing tasks to help their team win. If a Crew member finds a body, you can hit the "Report" button to start an Emergency meeting.

Now for the Imposters. At the start of the game, you'll be notified if you're an Imposter. You'll know who your fellow Imposters are by the fact that their name is in red. This role plays differently. Your only task is to kill the other Crew members without getting caught. Imposters have a variety of options available to them. The can: Kill, Vent, Report, and Sabotage.

Killing is, well, killing. You instantly kill a nearby Crew member. This ability has a 20-30 second cooldown between uses. Be careful when/where you kill though. If you're seen making the kill, it will be easy for the Crew to vote you out. Make a kill, then maybe try to run to a Vent.

Venting allows Imposters to move around the map quickly. Only Imposters can vent, so if you see a Crew member hop into a Vent or Hole, you can know for sure they are evil. Vents typically connect to 1-2 other Vents. You can't go anywhere, but it can get you away from a kill quickly. Or you could always...

Report a kill. Reporting is a shared ability by Crew and Imposters. This is only available near a dead body. Reporting a body places a Megaphone icon next to your name during the Emergency meeting phase. While you should usually report a body, beware that sometimes you could be accused of "self-reporting" the body because you are an Imposter. Reporting is dangerous, but necessary.

And finally, Sabotage. This ability comes on a cooldown like the Kill option. Each map has 2-3 special locations that can be Sabotaged by the Imposters. When a Sabotage occurs, the Crew have a short period of time to get to the marked locations and fix the Sabotage. Failure to do so means the Imposters win. Imposters should use this ability to separate the Crew, driving them into a Kill, or pulling them away from a body.

Protips
  • The task bar moves when people complete tasks. However, some tasks have multiple parts and don't progress the task bar until the whole thing has been completed.
  • Each time a meeting is called, the imposters kill timer is reset. Wellness checks via the emergency button can be a useful way to disrupt them killing folks.
  • You cannot use the button during a crisis however.
  • On The Skeld and Polus, the vents only link to certain locations. However the vents on Mira HQ all connect together.
  • Even when visual tasks are off, you can confirm if someone is using the medbay scanner if you also have that task. It will not allow you to use it until their scan is finished.
  • The game ends whenever there are an equal number of Imposters and Crewmates. This makes six people alive a very, very dangerous point if you aren't sure you've vented an imposter yet (and are playing with two). A double kill instantly ends the game. This also makes voting someone off at 7 people insanely risky unless you are positive they are the imposter.
  • When security cameras are actively being watched, the red light flashes on and off.
  • And please, for the love of everything you hold dear, if you die, finish your damn tasks! I've had a half dozen games busted because ghosts went afk and the task bar just sat there not moving for 5 minutes and we didn't have enough info to vote someone off.

Videos
It's easier to just watch the game in action. Here are some videos of some streamers playing the game with a group of friends. Note that the game doesn't include voice chat (just a message board), so getting a Discord chat going is optimal.

https://youtu.be/WnDLqfJ4cnc
https://youtu.be/mquaJDeAbQA
https://youtu.be/5gCuqcojuHs

PA Groups
So, I've got the game on Steam (only $5) and was hoping we could get a PA group with a Discord channel going.

Discord channel: https://discord.gg/RQNvaXc

The game has fully customizable rules (# of Imposters from 1-3, role identification revealed/hidden when ejected, movement speeds, vision ranges, etc), but we'd start with normal rules. The other "house rule" is that things be kept civil. Lying is part of the game, but flaming and disrespect won't be tolerated. Basically, be cool like you are on the forums.

Good luck and watch your back!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
Steam ID
Twitch Page
MNC Dover on

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I don't play this game and never will, but if I do I definitely won't be the imposter. Or will I?! No, I won't be. You'll have to play to find out, though. That it's not me, that is.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    It's free on mobile, is it crossplay? I'd be down to play it that way

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    It's free on mobile, is it crossplay? I'd be down to play it that way

Yes, it's free on mobile and has crossplay. No voice chat, but I guess one could always join the Discord server and still play that way.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited September 2020
    True, I've used discord on my phone before for Switch games. I'm down to play at some point!

Local H Jay/localhjay#5285

Local H Jay on
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Dover is the 'poster.

I don't like how he creates threads.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Been playing the hell out of this game, so I'm down. Probably won't be able to play much this weekend, but next week I'll be up for games for sure.

mvrck/mvrck#6064

Edit:
    As a bit of a follow up, some tips and things that aren't completely apparent when you start playing:
    • The task bar moves when people complete tasks. However, some tasks have multiple parts and don't progress the task bar until the whole thing has been completed.
    • Each time a meeting is called, the imposters kill timer is reset. Wellness checks via the emergency button can be a useful way to disrupt them killing folks.
    • You cannot use the button during a crisis however.
    • On The Skeld and Polus, the vents only link to certain locations. However the vents on Mira HQ all connect together.
    • Even when visual tasks are off, you can confirm if someone is using the medbay scanner if you also have that task. It will not allow you to use it until their scan is finished.
    • The game ends whenever there are an equal number of Imposters and Crewmates. This makes six people alive a very, very dangerous point if you aren't sure you've vented an imposter yet (and are playing with two). A double kill instantly ends the game. This also makes voting someone off at 7 people insanely risky unless you are positive they are the imposter.
    • When security cameras are actively being watched, the red light flashes on and off.
    • And please, for the love of everything you hold dear, if you die, finish your damn tasks! I've had a half dozen games busted because ghosts went afk and the task bar just sat there not moving for 5 minutes and we didn't have enough info to vote someone off.

Mvrck on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Starting an Among Us thread?

That's pretty sus, bro.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    This also makes voting someone off at 7 people insanely risky unless you are positive they are the imposter.

The one and only exception to this: if, during the previous round, a 50/50 vote has been agreed to, then it's entirely appropriate (and necessary) to vote on 7 to finish off the 50/50 agreement.

Additionally: you absolutely need to follow through on 50/50 agreement votes. If two people are hard accusing each other of having seen the other person kill someone, it is virtually guaranteed that one of them is the killer, making a 50/50 vote the thing you have to do.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    Dover, tried to add you but you have to include the 4 digit serial after your discord tag to look someone up. I didn't realize when I posted mine either

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I know there's a bunch of the Phalla crowd that have been playing this. Might be able to hop into their games. We did like 5 hours straight yesterday

Dover, tried to add you but you have to include the 4 digit serial after your discord tag to look someone up. I didn't realize when I posted mine either

My bad. I'm still kind of new to Discord. Updated the OP with my info, added a few people, and @Mvrck tips.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Discord channel is up! Join in!

https://discord.gg/uPwQv5

Once we have enough people, we'll create days/times to play. Being PST, I'm usually available to play nights at 9pm or later.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    That's pretty sus, bro.
    He is the impostor!
    I have clear and irrefutable evidence of it:
    2AEDCB47ECBC5E44F6EA558787BBD2ED5A6084A3
    We should eject him off the thread immediately.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    I joined the Discord, because I am an innocent crewmate who was just checking that the vents are clean.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    That's pretty sus, bro.
    He is the impostor!
    I have clear and irrefutable evidence of it:
    2AEDCB47ECBC5E44F6EA558787BBD2ED5A6084A3
    We should eject him off the thread immediately.

It was @HiT BiT, I saw him Photoshop into a vent.
    I joined the Discord, because I am an innocent crewmate who was just checking that the vents are clean.

Great! What's your Discord info so I can add you to the OP?

I wonder if we can get enough people tonight to give the game a try? If not, we could aim for next weekend.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Last night I lost a game because they didn't fix the lights. I piled up bodies outside the conference room and needed to call an emergency meeting before they spotted them and me dancing upon them. The crew all thought I was waiting at the lights so didn't venture over there. Sad day.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Imposter once in 40 games this weekend.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Anyone down to try and get a game going tonight?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    ... I might be. The game is super cheap. I'm guessing all the DLC stuff is just things you can dress your character up with?

Henroid wrote: »
    ... I might be. The game is super cheap. I'm guessing all the DLC stuff is just things you can dress your character up with?

Yes. And also it's a 3 person independent developer soooo

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    You mean the DLC doesn't actually support the game devs, just someone else? Screw that.

Edit - Oh god I can't read.

Henroid on
    Henroid wrote: »
    You mean the DLC doesn't actually support the game devs, just someone else? Screw that.

No, throwing them money is good is what I'm saying.

Oh god I misread that as "3rd person developer."

That's pretty sus, I'm voting Henroid

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    My crew's assembling around 9ish eastern, iirc

edited September 2020
    jdarksun wrote: »

Do you have a second crew? :P

enlightenedbum on
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Do you have a second crew? :P

oh shit

zz7abxj9d04u.png

edited September 2020
    Everyone should hop in the Discord channel to allow for talking instead of typing. I'll stream my games if anyone wants to play later.

https://discord.gg/uPwQv5

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I feel like this type of game is only fun with people you know.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    I feel like this type of game is only fun with people you know.

Yeah, I've played with randoms and it's...well, random. Not fun typing out stuff instead of real-time discussions.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    More than anything it strikes me as having voice comms being required. Not just for the speed of the communication but also being able to hear the bullshit as it's fed to you.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Randos also lack basic mafia skills that is weird if you play mafia a lot already

Easy to pick up if you're playing with a group that mostly knows what they're doing though

Discord is kime 4236

kime on
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Playing with a bunch of folks and down to play with more.

Bakdu#7482

The discord invite doesn't work anymore btw.

OrokosPA.png
    Infidel wrote: »
    Playing with a bunch of folks and down to play with more.

Bakdu#7482

The discord invite doesn't work anymore btw.

Oops! Sorry about that. I'm still new to Discord. Updated link here and in the OP!

https://discord.gg/RQNvaXc

I'm down to try and make a group any day after 9pm (PST). That's typically too late for our EST friends, but I can join a group at an early time on Saturday.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Thread is sus

What is this I don't even.
    Hey everyone, jump in Discord so I can see if we have enough for a group tonight (or later this week).

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ahh shit I’m getting in on this. Putting kid to bed then let me get online.

I’m est but later times are better for me. Usually after 10 pm est at least.

Kai_San on
    I might be able to hop on early. I’ll check discord

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page