As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls] Stolen? No! This one found this thread by the side of the road.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I went ahead and got Redgaurd, Battlespire, and Morrowind on gog so I can conveniently run them.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Okidokie okidokie...

One of my paramours ( who I cannot currently see in person because ahahahaha /gestures at the entire planet) is lending me their Steam Link Device. My plan is to put that on the TV downstairs so I can once again begin Operation: My Mom Plays Skryim.

Since we're now doing this on my rather decent PC (32 gigs RAM, AMD Ryzen 7 2700, NVidia GeForce RTX 2070), I figure I should load up the Special Edition and put at least a few mods on it. So I'm looking for mod suggestions!

My primary goals here are to get a mostly Vanilla Skyrim experience, but to make it look super nice, and any quality of life/ease of use mods you guys can think of to make this as painless as possible for my mom would be great.

Some notes about my mom:

* She's 65
    * But she introduced me to Computar Arr Pee Gees when I was 5 by letting me create a character named "That Guy" in Ultima: Underworld (That Guy wanted to be friends with every goblin. This didn't work as well for him as he'd have liked. But anyway...)
    * Unfortunately, she hasn't played any computer RPGs since, I think, about 1997. Combo of busy and lost interest. She's looking to retire soon so I'm trying to get her back into some hobbies. This is why I'm interested in any QoL / ease of use mods.
    * I have no idea yet if she'll find KBM or controller easier x_X we'll find out, I guess.
    * She loved Dragonriders of Pern, Heralds of Valdemar, and Marrion Zimmer Bradley stuff, and basically anything 80s Feminist Fantasy, so if there's any small, specific mods you guys can think of along those lines (cool psychic horses? better dragon riding tools? angry talking feminist swords? idk?) that'd be neat easter eggs to put in for her. Emphasis on small.
    * She's the chair of the theater arts department at her college, so, on a similar note, any theater arts/entertainment/music related mods might be pretty cool. Nothing *huge* but some small Bard's College expansions, musical instrument mods, or literally any coy theater references would be nice.

wooo. hopefully we can get her past the intro this time! Only reason we stopped is bc my brother's used old PS4 has like no memory. But my desktop does! woo.

Okay, so first you swing by Lover's Lab, and then....

Okay, so since you're talking via a TV, if you're using a controller, I'm of no help for the controlling side of things.

Similarly, improving the look is so determined by personal taste I'm not sure what to recommend. Start with a major texture pack (Skyland, Skyrim 2017-2020, Nordic) as a base and go from there. Pick a weather system (Obsidian and Cathedral still being the most popular two, I think), and then find an ENB which has what you think is most appropriate. The two things you'll see the biggest bang for your buck on are learning how to run DynDOLOD and ENB. I'd also look into some NPC improvement things like Diversity or WICO, even if you don't get too deep.

As to "Vanilla Plus", maybe this discussion is a good place to start? https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/ei694g/what_term_vanilla_plus_means_to_you/

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    If she struggled to get through the intro, I would definitely suggest Alternate Start. Lets you pick how your character comes into Skyrim and completely skips the drawn-out intro. I would also suggest a dual-analog controller; Skyrim doesn't need a million keys, and it's much easier to learn the controls with a fraction of the buttons available (I've played Skyrim a ton with KBAM and controller, and controller is far more comfy). Skyrim can also be easily tuned to not harshly punish somebody using a controller, and there's virtually zero need for twitch-fast precise aiming from a mouse. Maybe a mod to make animals act like actual animals, i.e., one that makes most or all of them avoid humans? And a better map mod, one that notes all places you visit and adds roads to the map. I rather like flora overhaul mods myself (some breathtaking additions this way), and there are mods that add extra music to the game as well.

I don't think you should need much to change the base gameplay. Base Skyrim is pretty approachable, and there's a looooot of stuff somebody can do even if they just want to walk around looking at stuff.

I'd say sit her down, get her used to playing, and then ask if there's anything she wants different. Chances are good that a mod exists for the changes she might want, if she wants any change at all.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    I don’t even really know that mods are particularly required for a first time player in skyrim honestly.

I’ve never been as down on skyrims default textures as a lot of people though.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I don’t even really know that mods are particularly required for a first time player in skyrim honestly.

I would say the three absolute must-haves are

The Unofficial Skyrim Patch for your edition.
    The Script extender
    Sky UI.

99% of any other mods you might consider either expect or outright require you have one of those mods to begin with, and even with them you'll avoid having to deal with tons of broken stuff and get a UI that's 1000x better than the default.

Other than those, I'd start with a "clean" playthrough, and once you have a better idea on how you'd want to see the base game changed/"improved", then start looking around for the mods that fit your interests.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Foefaller wrote: »

I would say the three absolute must-haves are

The Unofficial Skyrim Patch for your edition.
    The Script extender
    Sky UI.

99% of any other mods you might consider either expect or outright require you have one of those mods to begin with, and even with them you'll avoid having to deal with tons of broken stuff and get a UI that's 1000x better than the default.

Other than those, I'd start with a "clean" playthrough, and once you have a better idea on how you'd want to see the base game changed/"improved", then start looking around for the mods that fit your interests.

Yeah.

Now that I think about it, I might throw on Run For Your Lives (to keep important NPCs from getting smashed) and maybe Guard Dialogue overhaul and Relationship Dialogue overhaul, as those have few drawbacks but help companion/guard personality a ton?

I think a big danger with mods is that you can get something that either doesn’t work well with your computer setup (for graphics mods) or that isn’t really to taste (for gameplay mods)and it can hose a playthrough, and you really want things to run as smoothly as possible for a first run as a new player.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Play without mods and if you find stuff that annoys you see if there's a mod to change it.

• Options
    The one negative to taking that path is that changing your mod makeup mid-save isn't really a good thing.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I can't say i've ever had a problem with adding in new mods. Sometimes when they get taken out, yeah, but it's never been anything major.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    obligatory "I don't think SkyUI looks all that great and the default UI would be easier to read on a TV from the couch"

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    well, yes, but that's the point.
    the default UI is made for consoles, to be viewed/used on a TV.
    SkyUI is a UI for a PC game.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    And Lucid_Seraph is talking about streaming the game to a TV, so perhaps SkyUI (which, like Foefaller, I consider to be one of very few must-have mods) is not actually a must-have in this case.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The video on Redguard is kinda janky. I don't know if there is a setting on the 3dfx wrapper that fixes it.

Really, I over-exaggerate. The only problem is that there is this black line on the right side of the video.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    I hit a wall making patches and just decided I wanted to play when I had the opportunity, so I powered through a couple more things, decided I was comfortable disabling some stuff in-game as I run into it, and deferred making the last couple patches until something I know is in the works is actually released since everything I'd be moving is a temporary object so I can adjust that mid-game without worry!

So with this, I'm going to highlight one more mod which is getting completely overlooked but which I love the idea of, and then go watch my house of cards crumble.

So you know how you can run around to farms and pick the crops and use them and just...whatever? And then you can sell to the farmer and they love you for it? And how it seems kinda silly? What it actually is doing is supposed to be an invisible quest where you're picking crops for the farmer and they're paying you for the work. Yes, seriously.

So landscape and water fixes ends up fixing ownership of a lot of the crops. But this guy put out something which makes the quest work the way you'd expect it to:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/36822

It's stealing, until you talk to them. After you talk with them, you can pick the crops, or you can sneak and steal them. Picking the crops DOESN'T ADD THEM TO YOUR INVENTORY. Then when you talk to them after the fact, they pay you for however many you picked.

It like....actually fucking makes sense now.

Anyway, this is where my insanity ended:

c7877chpnb4y.png

I'm ready to crash and burn.

• Options
    I feel the need to note that I had no problems with the cart despite not using LAL. First try. (Hadvar didn't appear until late, but that didn't matter, and I had a slight hitch upon entry to the keep where I had to teleport myself to get my bindings cut, but that's like.... Better than you sometimes get in vanilla.)

• Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Hey. Nehrim, Enderal's Oblivion predecessor, is also getting a fancy steam release.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1014940/Nehrim_At_Fates_Edge/

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    sigh, OKAY

okay

Tomorrow, I really am going to dive back in and install all the crap to actually mod the thing, and then test to see if Steam Link is really just a fancy ass way to remote into my PC or what

(if it is that, then I should be able to play it fully modded on the TV no problem) (Mostly, I'm doing this to flex on my brother, who just started another Special Edition run on the PS4, and I just. Really want to install the shiniest texture mods to be like "This could be you, but you're a console pleb :V " )

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I hit a wall making patches and just decided I wanted to play when I had the opportunity, so I powered through a couple more things, decided I was comfortable disabling some stuff in-game as I run into it, and deferred making the last couple patches until something I know is in the works is actually released since everything I'd be moving is a temporary object so I can adjust that mid-game without worry!

So with this, I'm going to highlight one more mod which is getting completely overlooked but which I love the idea of, and then go watch my house of cards crumble.

So you know how you can run around to farms and pick the crops and use them and just...whatever? And then you can sell to the farmer and they love you for it? And how it seems kinda silly? What it actually is doing is supposed to be an invisible quest where you're picking crops for the farmer and they're paying you for the work. Yes, seriously.

So landscape and water fixes ends up fixing ownership of a lot of the crops. But this guy put out something which makes the quest work the way you'd expect it to:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/36822

It's stealing, until you talk to them. After you talk with them, you can pick the crops, or you can sneak and steal them. Picking the crops DOESN'T ADD THEM TO YOUR INVENTORY. Then when you talk to them after the fact, they pay you for however many you picked.

It like....actually fucking makes sense now.

Anyway, this is where my insanity ended:

c7877chpnb4y.png

I'm ready to crash and burn.

Meanwhile, I run Stellaris with a measly 147 mods and the game takes, without exaggeration, 18 minutes to reach the first menu.

*shakes fist at Paradox*

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    sigh, OKAY

okay

Tomorrow, I really am going to dive back in and install all the crap to actually mod the thing, and then test to see if Steam Link is really just a fancy ass way to remote into my PC or what

(if it is that, then I should be able to play it fully modded on the TV no problem) (Mostly, I'm doing this to flex on my brother, who just started another Special Edition run on the PS4, and I just. Really want to install the shiniest texture mods to be like "This could be you, but you're a console pleb :V " )

It is and it isn't. I use it all the time.

Its fancy in that it tries to only give you control over the game, and once you close the game, it ends the connection. It also scales the resolution really nicely to my phone and laptop.

It isn't in that weird remote access shit happens all the time. Am I on the lock screen? Well then I'll be staring at the in-game menu trying desperately to click on shit before I remember to try typing in my password and hit enter. Oh look now I can play. Also sometimes you see your desktop because the game has its own launcher, so instead of just viewing the launcher you get everything, until the game starts.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    sigh, OKAY

okay

Its fancy in that it tries to only give you control over the game, and once you close the game, it ends the connection. It also scales the resolution really nicely to my phone and laptop.

It isn't in that weird remote access shit happens all the time. Am I on the lock screen? Well then I'll be staring at the in-game menu trying desperately to click on shit before I remember to try typing in my password and hit enter. Oh look now I can play. Also sometimes you see your desktop because the game has its own launcher, so instead of just viewing the launcher you get everything, until the game starts.

and I presume that I couldn't, say, let my mom play Skyrim, and then use my own PC while she's doing that.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    sigh, OKAY

okay

and I presume that I couldn't, say, let my mom play Skyrim, and then use my own PC while she's doing that.

Hmm, lemme test later today and get back to you.

I know when I remote in from my laptop, definitely not, it takes over my user session. Though it may be possible for me to switch to another tty and get around that, hard to say.

Steam Link with a phone/tablet, though, I think maybe makes its own session? I'm curious now.

I am now also realizing I'm in the Elder Scrolls thread and not the Linux thread lol.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    So as noted above, I got a little burnt out, so I stopped working on new stuff. I've finally gotten around to uploading all the collections I've made, but to go alongside the last one, I took the time to write up a tutorial which follows the general pattern with which I approached making patches, in case anyone is interested:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/37651

• Options
    One of these days I really want to do a wildlife mod (for a rather broad definition of wildlife - I’d probably include trolls and werewolves/bears) - nothing too fancy but some fallout 4 style higher level variations of things like wolves and sabrecats that don’t have them with alternate community-sourced skins, some small horse and wild cattle herds, boars and werebears in skyrim proper, some more “critters” spawns like feral dogs and chickens in appropriate areas, etc.

I did a proof of concept at one point for oldrim with a few added creatures but never really had time to work on it.

• Options
    Things which I found from talking to people that I had no idea about but have confirmed in my current playthrough and makes for some interesting roleplay scenarios: You can switch sides in the civil war.

They never tell you this in-game.
    After you've done your initial quest and they send you to get the crown, you can take it to the other side and defect

• Options
    These people made probably the best patched up version of Daggerfall you can find. It is all ready to run on Windows 10.

https://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    These people made probably the best patched up version of Daggerfall you can find. It is all ready to run on Windows 10.

https://wiwiki.wiwiland.net/index.php?title=Daggerfall_:_DaggerfallSetup_EN

That’s a decent way to get the game files but no one needs to or should use dosbox to run Daggerfall anymore:

https://youtu.be/ZbEN5Y3J9_k

• Options
    Daggerfall Unity is still in alpha though. Looks good.

Is the core gameplay there? It sounds like they are altering the gameplay some. They are trying to make it where you can re-join groups, which makes sense.

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    And Lucid_Seraph is talking about streaming the game to a TV, so perhaps SkyUI (which, like Foefaller, I consider to be one of very few must-have mods) is not actually a must-have in this case.

What's Foefaller? I can't find it, but am curious.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

What's Foefaller? I can't find it, but am curious.
    Foefaller is the person with whom I was agreeing, but I can see how that sentence can be parsed in two different ways! Oops!

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Skywind is looking pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIU21A8cv5w

• Options
    To quote another, maybe they'll actually have the money for proper Q&A now hooooooooo.....

• Options
    Clearly someone at Microsoft was a fan of Fallout:New Vegas and wants a sequel by any means necessary.

• Options
    I'm... not really happy about this news exactly, but I guess at least it's not EA/Activision/TenCent? x_X

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yeah, its never a good thing when it results in yet more exclusivity.

It sucks for people on Sony and Nintendo consoles but MS will make a lot of money off it so they'll get what they want out of it.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    To quote another, maybe they'll actually have the money for proper Q&A now hooooooooo.....

Wasteland 3 (which I love) suggests otherwise.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

It sucks for people on Sony and Nintendo consoles but MS will make a lot of money off it so they'll get what they want out of it.

I do get the sentiment, but Microsoft has been WAY more willing to share their toys than Sony has. In fact their Big Thing is getting their software (albeit by way of their service) on all platforms.

As to the news itself, holy shit I couldn't be happier.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Clearly someone at Microsoft was a fan of Fallout:New Vegas and wants a sequel by any means necessary.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Axen wrote: »

I do get the sentiment, but Microsoft has been WAY more willing to share their toys than Sony has. In fact their Big Thing is getting their software (albeit by way of their service) on all platforms.

I (and several others in the [Xbox] thread) expect this not to last...or to have already changed (Microsoft published 7 games on Xbox and Windows 10 PC since their last multiplatform release, Minecraft Dungeons, and their sole upcoming multiplatform title is Psychonauts 2 which was languishing in development literally years before Microsoft purchased Double Fine). That being said, considering Sony has been swinging money around hard to get timed exclusivity ("6 and 12 months, baby!") in the lead up to the Playstation 5 launch, and spent years buying exclusivity during the PS4, this is not as surprising as it might otherwise be.

The good news, one could say, is that Microsoft is still very much into publishing in Windows 10 (you know, their flagship OS), and that includes Steam (and EGS on occasion). So Psychonauts 2 might be the last game they ever publish on Playstation, but they'll still have plenty of PC releases.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

As someone pointed out, we could have choice of, say, Elder Scrolls 6 for $70 on PS5, or included on Gamepass, day one.

Either way, Microsoft win.

Talking of ESO, I wonder if the Gamepass version will include all expansions, same as Destiny 2, in the future ?