As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My daughter is a total alpha and bossy type, so no doubt she waited to the end to CRUSH all the other peon numbers.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    A little meme picture I took of my angel
    iap6s8fst234.jpg

*Edit* someone told me it was huge, just resized it through a recommend site, and I guess the dimensions are huge. Spoilering it, sorry for anyone who saw it before the spoiler.

RickRude on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Definitely a better answer than question mark kid, that's for sure.

Give Uma some credit, the question mark shows honesty. I'm proud of them.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I want to give a shout-out to the All Around Bustletown book series. They've been the mvp at my house lately. They're a series of picture books depicting life in a small european town chronologically across a year and my 16 month old just adores them. Really they've loved them since they got Winter at Christmas.

Each page shows the same location across all 4 books, so page one is always the apartment building, page two is a farm and auto shop, page three is always the train station, etc, and there's probably 3 dozen townsfolk that have stories that play out over the course of the book. Some of the stories are only a page or two while others will be spread across the whole book and since all the books show the same town some of the stories spread across multiple books. There's this one older couple who meet during a run and start dating from Winter to Summer and I really need to get Fall so we can see the conclusion of their arc.

The books are all oversized and each page is densely illustrated so the kids can just sit and pour over them and even after having Winter for over half a year we're still finding new details in it.

xwwk5tfwf179.jpeg

Carpy on
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    I think we had the same book but it was called "In The Town All Year Round", and agreed, great stuff.

(if you like books where there's things to look at in the background (and a feeling that it's a real world, not just a place they're telling a story), the Little Red Train series (Benedict Blathwayt) are good for that. Plus you'll get to wonder how Duffy Driver ever got his license, because he is _not good_ at driving trains, sheesh)

I think we had the same book but it was called "In The Town All Year Round", and agreed, great stuff.

(if you like books where there's things to look at in the background (and a feeling that it's a real world, not just a place they're telling a story), the Little Red Train series (Benedict Blathwayt) are good for that. Plus you'll get to wonder how Duffy Driver ever got his license, because he is _not good_ at driving trains, sheesh)

Gonna toss that on the list, thanks!

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Update: Our second kid arrived about a week ago. Everything went well, and Covid mostly just made navigating the hospital annoying as they'd closed a bunch of entrances to enact one way flow.

He came in at 4.05 kg, which is actually small compared to what his big brother was. We make giant babies in my family apparently.

:so_raven:
    Congrats!!!

Ok so my baby just learned how to open her diaper wipes. And they were everywhere!

Any solutions for better holders or just watch her more lol?

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Ok so my baby just learned how to open her diaper wipes. And they were everywhere!

Just put them out of reach?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Just put them out of reach?

If I have learned anything with our little one in the last year, it's that "out of reach" is a rapidly changing definition.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    By the time they can reach the top shelf, they should also be at an age where "I said no" actually has meaning.

They might laugh in your face anyways, but they understood what you were saying.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    They usually lose interest after the first incident*

*offer not available in all areas

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    You can tell a house has kids in it because everything of value or interest is at adult eye level. Below that it's all colored blocks and plastic.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    I suggest seeding your house with interesting things for the kiddo to play with. Box full of scarves etc, toys, etc. Two reasons:

1) All the toys are going everywhere anyway... if you put it there yourself, you can feel better about the state of the house.
    2) the baby wipes will still be more interesting than all the toys but the situation will be funnier when you find it, in a sort of 'oh god what is my life' kind of way that it's good to get used to laughing about...

edited October 2020
    spool32 wrote: »
    You can tell a house has kids in it because everything of value or interest is at adult eye level. Below that it's all colored blocks and plastic.

Yup. With our first kid we were not prepared for that since he got up and started walking (And therefore reaching ) at 9 months. Like dude, give me time to baby proof here!

Corvus on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Ours is not yet 8 months old, and she's been crawling over to and grabbing anything she thinks she can use to stand up for about a month.

No idea how long it will take her to walk, but I guess that's when we'll find out which of the dangerous things in our apartment were previously too distant from a good handhold.

• Red RaevynRed Raevyn because I only take Bubble Baths Registered User regular
    I (the stay at home parent) had a tough time with the transition to my wife going back to work when the baby was 16 weeks old. The really hard time was the baby not eating. Apparently some mothers' milk has an excess of lipase in it, which breaks down the milkfat during storage and changes the flavor. Most babies don't care, but ours really really did. The solution turned out to be scalding the milk before cooling and storing it : scalding it breaks down the lipase.

So the 2 months spent carefully pumping and freezing is all for naught, but suddenly being home with the baby is so much easier. If you run into anyone struggling with a bottle, maybe mention that but definitely point them to any new family services that may be available to them. One thousand praises to our (wonderful) local hospital's who told me about it.

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Relevant tweet from me.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised the triplets didn't just climb up the tree....

How are your acrobats doing?

That’s from last Christmas, the tree is also a little narrow so it couldn’t handle even a two year-old weight.

As for the acrobats. Current favorite activities include climbing the outside of my wife’s parent’s staircase railing, and climbing up the sheer rock wall in their backyard to escape the house. Nothing quite like looking out a second story window and seeing your kids on the golf course at the top of a 50 degree incline because your mother in law was too busy on her phone to make sure the child lock at the top of the backdoor was shut.

Welp, first minor cough (like two small coughs) of the fall for my 4 year old today = stay home from day care for the day and monitor for other symptoms according to our health officials. He's likely fine and hasn't coughed for a while ( I think he was dehydrated), but man, the anxiety and should we go for testing thing is not great.

Cold and Flu season is going to suck this year. Every minor symptom is going to be an ordeal.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular

As my son got older and started crawling, pulling himself up and walking we've gone from putting stuff on the table, then the sofa and now it's the windowsill.

He's just about able to reach stuff on the windowsill if he really tries and as we're got no shelves due to renovation we've run out of places to put stuff!

We had all these plans for lovely furnishings and now all we think about is what stuff is toddler proof.

A year ago today I was woken at 5 am. I'm still pissed as my girlfriend's water broke at 1am. We went to the hospital, and at 930 am, my first child was born. My little angle. My life has been turned upside down, and sometimes when I'm sleepy I miss having no kid, but it was the best gift I've even been given in my life.

Watching her grow is amazing, and I know it's going to get rougher, but I helped make that. And I think she's perfect.

Happy birthday Abcde

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    A year ago today I was woken at 5 am. I'm still pissed as my girlfriend's water broke at 1am. We went to the hospital, and at 930 am, my first child was born. My little angle. My life has been turned upside down, and sometimes when I'm sleepy I miss having no kid, but it was the best gift I've even been given in my life.

Watching her grow is amazing, and I know it's going to get rougher, but I helped make that. And I think she's perfect.

Happy birthday Abcde

Give your angel's mom a fist bump for only 8.5 hours of labor and in a few years teach tiny human Abcde how to give any teacher who dares question her name a stare so withering that they contemplate resignation.

Corvus wrote: »
    Welp, first minor cough (like two small coughs) of the fall for my 4 year old today = stay home from day care for the day and monitor for other symptoms according to our health officials. He's likely fine and hasn't coughed for a while ( I think he was dehydrated), but man, the anxiety and should we go for testing thing is not great.

Cold and Flu season is going to suck this year. Every minor symptom is going to be an ordeal.

So yeah, he's fine. I think he just had a dry throat in the morning. In other news, our newborn is so long in the torso that we broke into the stash of 3-6 month size clothes for a few things.

Taramoor wrote: »

That’s from last Christmas, the tree is also a little narrow so it couldn’t handle even a two year-old weight.

As for the acrobats. Current favorite activities include climbing the outside of my wife’s parent’s staircase railing, and climbing up the sheer rock wall in their backyard to escape the house. Nothing quite like looking out a second story window and seeing your kids on the golf course at the top of a 50 degree incline because your mother in law was too busy on her phone to make sure the child lock at the top of the backdoor was shut.

I don’t know how she got up there. All the furniture has been changed since we’re moving in a couple weeks.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Happy birthday Abcde

Give your angel's mom a fist bump for only 8.5 hours of labor and in a few years teach tiny human Abcde how to give any teacher who dares question her name a stare so withering that they contemplate resignation.

I think you will find teachers are wholly immune to even the most withering child stares.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I don’t know how she got up there. All the furniture has been changed since we’re moving in a couple weeks.

Man, the other morning I went in to get Sapling out of her crib, and she said she was going to climb out, so I gave her and "Oh yeah?" with the raised eyebrows, and she put her leg up on the side, sat like that for 15 seconds, then thought better of it and asked me to pick her up.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Children....uhh....find a way.

There it is.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    You don't know true terror until you hear a flush followed by a kid saying, "Bye bye!"

Edit: I just love how proud she is of it, too.

Hevach on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I'm like... 95% certain I've seen that video before, but the tweet is dated for today?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

I'm like... 95% certain I've seen that video before, but the tweet is dated for today?

Yeah, it's originally from two years ago. The video showed up in my Facebook memories today. I thought I'd repost a trimmed version of it to Twitter/FB so I could share it here. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I was expecting an "I don't know" in response to the why. But I suppose completely ignoring it is also a child thing.

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My 2.5 month old daughter cries every time we take her out of the bath. I decided to warm up her towel in the dryer (not too hot!).

Instead of immediately crying, she made a super adorable/heartbreaking about-to-cry face for a solid 30 seconds before letting loose.

I'm not sure if that's better.

Sippie cups. Anyone got suggestions for first ones? She grabs my nephew's, who's 2 , but can never get a drink out of them. With milk, she lays down, and holds it. So far she's not successful at sitting up and drinking.

One thing we've noticed is when we have drinks with straws, she seems to suck up and drink. So maybe the solution is a straw based sippy cup. She just hit one year old so just looking for suggestions and such that we can look at and know it's worked for other people .

• amethystoakamethystoak Registered User regular
    We started out with straw cups as well. The best straw cups that my kid has used were the Tommee Tippee ones.

Once she's able to drink out of a sippy cup without a straw, the Munchkin Miracle 360 cups are the best ever. They're so easy to thoroughly clean and we haven't had any issues with them.

(Also, hi thread! I don't think I've posted here yet. I'm @Brody's wife.)

edited October 2020
    We started out with straw cups as well. The best straw cups that my kid has used were the Tommee Tippee ones.

Once she's able to drink out of a sippy cup without a straw, the Munchkin Miracle 360 cups are the best ever. They're so easy to thoroughly clean and we haven't had any issues with them.

(Also, hi thread! I don't think I've posted here yet. I'm @Brody's wife.)

Ty for the suggestion ! While I was posting this and cooking dinner my gf ended up buying these.

Spoiled for long link.
    Hope she takes to them. If not have those you mentioned in line and in the cart.

RickRude on