As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Doom 2016 got me all hyped for an old school style shooter revolution but I really didn’t get hyped for all of what followed.

I wanted old school mechanics with modern graphics like what Doom was doing, but what followed went for looking a bit too much like those old games as well and none of it did much for me, or emphasised speed and mobility way more than I remember from those days and just didn’t look like a game I’d like to play.

Well except Amid Evil but I just haven’t gotten around to giving it a go.

Prodeus is the second game that finally I like the visuals of as well as how it looks like it plays.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I just finished Doom 64 on the Switch. What a marvelous game. What a marvelous way to play the game. It feels more intuitive and at home on my Switch Lite with gyro controls than it feels when playing a Doom game on the PC. Raking a group of demons with chaingun fire as you slowly turn the system is an incredible feeling, as is quickly tilting to split second shoot an enemy you initially missed before it gets you. Gyro aiming and those early FPS's that lack mouselook are a match made in heaven.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I just finished Doom 64 on the Switch. What a marvelous game. What a marvelous way to play the game. It feels more intuitive and at home on my Switch Lite with gyro controls than it feels when playing a Doom game on the PC. Raking a group of demons with chaingun fire as you slowly turn the system is an incredible feeling, as is quickly tilting to split second shoot an enemy you initially missed before it gets you. Gyro aiming and those early FPS's that lack mouselook are a match made in heaven.

thats actually an interesting point - dooms1/2/64 are a v good fit for the switch treatment both because they are low res and so suit the smaller screen but also the control scheme fits nicely

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/Cfuf9wL5enNxkx90hfJ21/doom-and-doom-ii-update-september-3
    Patch for the current ports, includes gyro aiming for PS4 and Switch along with support for DeHackEd mods, meaning crazier addons coming soon, and a new Ultra-Violence+ difficulty which adds all sorts of crazy shit.

Impressed they did enough work on the engine to now feature proper widescreen, I think this is the only commercial rerelease to do so,

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Also Prodeus looks pretty amazing, looking forward to this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MytNn0cYEsM

Thanks for this. Ill be getting in on this one as soon as I can.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/Cfuf9wL5enNxkx90hfJ21/doom-and-doom-ii-update-september-3
    Patch for the current ports, includes gyro aiming for PS4 and Switch along with support for DeHackEd mods, meaning crazier addons coming soon, and a new Ultra-Violence+ difficulty which adds all sorts of crazy shit.

Impressed they did enough work on the engine to now feature proper widescreen, I think this is the only commercial rerelease to do so,

The existing Switch version already did 16:10, now it's up to proper 16:9, and H+, not V-, which is awesome. As I understand it, the games were ported to Unity to make it all work.

The currently-available ports on other systems have had the same enhancements, including now the Steam versions - which still include the original DOS versions as well, for all your source-porting needs.

But yeah, only took 27 years to get 16:9 in an official release of Doom :lol:

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

thats actually an interesting point - dooms1/2/64 are a v good fit for the switch treatment both because they are low res and so suit the smaller screen but also the control scheme fits nicely

Plus the capability for add-ons basically turns the games into curated mini-platforms for retro FPS experiences. Not that big of a deal for PC, pretty big freakin' deal for the Switch though. I hope we see a lot more of those now that they've added DeHackEd support.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

https://mashable.com/article/pregnancy-test-doom/

Turns out it's a bit of a cheat, not base hardware as the meme goes

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I feel like I shouldn’t be the one to share this so if it’s done already apologies, but lifted from the Switch thread, 3D Realms is making a spiritual successor to Heretic/Hexen: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1371690/GRAVEN/

I was surprised to see Slipgate Ironworks pop up-I’d thought that was one of those ill-fated post ION Storm Romero dev teams that were gonna make an mmorpg. Gonna have to look into that. Happy they’re still around making this kind of thing.

EDIT: Guess they’re a separate group that took over the name last year. Huh.

Linespider5 on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Any game that would have been called a "doom clone" back in the day belongs in this thread IMO.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Slipgate Ironworks (Formerly Interceptor Entertainment) were a group of modders making a fan Duke 3D remake, and wound up getting hired by 3D realms to do a Rise of the Triad remake and later Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, until 3D Realms discovered they had sold off the Duke rights, so it got turned into Bombshell, which was a pretty mediocre game that was in dire need of some major updates that were announced but never delivered as the company went out of business and reformed under the Slipgate name. They said they're still working on it, but nothing has materialized for years.

They have a handful of original games in development and numerous ports and remasters (SiN, Kingpin and Rise of the Triad) in their catalog.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Playing through Doom Eternal on nightmare and, first of, Doom Eternal's early game SUUUUUCKS. The lack of weapons and upgrades is just a slog to get through. I basically suffered my way though to level 3, which proceeded to utterly destroy me.

Then I got the faster dash refill and dash refil on glory kill upgrades, and also the super shotgun. The increased mobility was key as I proceed to take on the rest of the level, including getting the slayer gate on the third try, and I think I'm all hot shit. Then I proceed to get wrecked over and over and over again on the second encounter in level 4. (Pinkies fucking SUCK on nightmare)

Damn this is a hard game.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DOOM '16 is like learning tightrope about three feet off the ground. Stumble and you fall on your ass, but it isn't tough to get back up.

Eternal is like walking a tightrope over the worlds most eager industrial grinder. Stumble and you'll have just long enough for your expanding red mist to look surprised.

• Options
    You could break Doom 2016 with the right runes and upgrades (infinite ammo + armor on glory kill + fully upgrade siege mode gauss cannon).

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    They took some of that and switched things around such that you can simply turn on infinite ammo if you want instead of needing a rune. The only thing you'll miss is the gate challenges if you use cheats, they weren't real interested in penalizing people for changing what they know is a pretty challenging game.

Otherwise, you will need to stick with the cycle of glory kills for health, killing burning enemies for armor, and chainsawing enemies for ammo the whole game. You've still got the flamethrower coming, which is probably one of the biggest upgrades in the game. Hugely increases your survival rate when you can set multiple enemies on fire at once, potentially getting health, armor, and ammo from a glory kill or exploding a crowd into a shower of armor.

• Options
    You get the flamethrower after level 1, IIRC.

I got that gameplay down (I did the second master level on ultra violence without having to restart any sections.... somehow) Nightmare is just way more difficult and mistakes are harder to survive and recover from.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Playing through Doom Eternal on nightmare and, first of, Doom Eternal's early game SUUUUUCKS. The lack of weapons and upgrades is just a slog to get through. I basically suffered my way though to level 3, which proceeded to utterly destroy me.

Then I got the faster dash refill and dash refil on glory kill upgrades, and also the super shotgun. The increased mobility was key as I proceed to take on the rest of the level, including getting the slayer gate on the third try, and I think I'm all hot shit. Then I proceed to get wrecked over and over and over again on the second encounter in level 4. (Pinkies fucking SUCK on nightmare)

Damn this is a hard game.

Yeah, its brutal. I've been playing through on Nightmare as well and just made it to Taras Nabad. I went for the heat blast as my first upgrade because its so damn useful, and the and fully upgraded one does amazing damage against heavies. Now that I've got most of the upgrades at least slotted and several mastered, it's been getting easier. Some slayer gates still trip me up - the Marauder one was pretty terrible.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The marauder one was brutal until I realised you could stun him with shotgun, swap to bfg, and one shot him. You have just enough time to land it after stunning him with ssg during his melee attack.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I found the big thing was to identify which weapons worked for you, and then gun for those and the related upgrades. I defintely did a lot better in nightmare when i went in with a plan for which upgrade i'd be taking and why, and when i spent my points. Stuff like an early Heat Blast mastery will make an already good gun into a work horse. Getting the lock on burst for rocket launcher makes it a very effective tool for dealing with fatties, but it's ugprades are less important. etcera.

Picking up grenade upgrades and flamethrower upgrades also goes a long way. Frost bomb upgrades are helpful, but things being dead > things being cc'd.

That and just learning to abuse glory kills/chainsawing for invuln.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Every video ive seen of Nightmare basically only glory kills for specific purposes, and otherwise just blows everything away with guns.

Me? I dash and leap and meathook across a room just to get that glory kill on the peon. I'm at full health and armor. I don't need to eviscerate you.

I just enjoy it.

My speed rune gets a lot of mileage out of it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Slipgate Ironworks (Formerly Interceptor Entertainment) were a group of modders making a fan Duke 3D remake, and wound up getting hired by 3D realms to do a Rise of the Triad remake and later Duke Nukem: Mass Destruction, until 3D Realms discovered they had sold off the Duke rights, so it got turned into Bombshell, which was a pretty mediocre game that was in dire need of some major updates that were announced but never delivered as the company went out of business and reformed under the Slipgate name. They said they're still working on it, but nothing has materialized for years.

They have a handful of original games in development and numerous ports and remasters (SiN, Kingpin and Rise of the Triad) in their catalog.

Are these the guys who did Ion Fury? Because I love that.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ya i think if u take the "can glory kill from further away" rune glory kills are fun just because they are a cheeky reposition and invincibility

i liked it in 2016 and its fun here too

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    That's probably a rune i should have played with more. I used the slow mo in air/alt fire one, air control, and the equipment recharge runes myself. Air control is basically mandatory for my playstyle, and equipment recharge is REALLY good.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options

Are these the guys who did Ion Fury? Because I love that.

That was Voidpoint, who I don't know the history of.

• Options
    And if you haven't heard, Bethesda is now owned by Microsoft!

I don't expect any changes, but maybe things could happen. Maybe they will do away with the Bethesda store stuff eventually.

• Options
    Put Master Chief in Quake Champions.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    And if you haven't heard, Bethesda is now owned by Microsoft!

I don't expect any changes, but maybe things could happen. Maybe they will do away with the Bethesda store stuff eventually.

I'm generally not predisposed against digital storefronts on PC (I fucking hated Steam when it was first introduced, and would buy physical copies of PC games if I could), but I would very much like it if the Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE creation kits could be installed via the Xbox app/Windows 10 store interface as an alternative.

• Options
  • Options
    I really wish they had picked any other color than green for Master Chief. Those were Doomguy's colors!

• Options
    I really wish they had picked any other color than green for Master Chief. Those were Doomguy's colors!

Look... they're both... army guys? So there you go.

• Options
    I certainly wouldn't rule it out being an homage, but when Combat Evolved came out, Doom was only 8 years old. Yes, only.

And Doomguy was immediately associated with not wearing a helmet, and having visible abs, the way god intended.

There was about as much confusing the Master Chief himself with Doomguy as the UNSC marine infantry (who you can actually see, and actually have faces).

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah. People thought of Doomguy as this guy:

nt2alufvhht5.png

• Options
    Protip: Squinting at that face makes it much more discernible.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I’d have been a lot more apprehensive about this a year ago.

But putting the entire Halo series, Gears 5 and Gears Tactics on Steam with top notch ports, Xbox Gamepass on PC and Ori 1 and 2 on Switch, not to mention letting Sony keep the timed exclusivity of Tokyo Ghostwire and Deathloop, all I can say is I’m happy that Microsoft bought them and not, say, Facebook. They’re being very pro-consumer these days.

Also with how supportive of Steam they’ve been, hopefully they patch out the Bethesda launcher from everything.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    This is the quintessential Doomguy image for me.

Doom_front_cover.jpg

Though this one without a helmet is a close second.
    Daisy_doom.jpg

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

But putting the entire Halo series, Gears 5 and Gears Tactics on Steam with top notch ports, Xbox Gamepass on PC and Ori 1 and 2 on Switch, not to mention letting Sony keep the timed exclusivity of Tokyo Ghostwire and Deathloop, all I can say is I’m happy that Microsoft bought them and not, say, Facebook. They’re being very pro-consumer these days.

Also with how supportive of Steam they’ve been, hopefully they patch out the Bethesda launcher from everything.

It's weird to think that everyone (except for whoever is in charge of Windows) at MS is being pro-consumer.

Their XBox One launch must've been more disastrous than we probably know.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I just love that the most vulnerable part of the human body, the abdomen, with no bone and several vital organs, is exposed.

Gotta show dem abbs

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    His abs are stronger than any synthetic armor man could make

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

It's weird to think that everyone (except for whoever is in charge of Windows) at MS is being pro-consumer.

Their XBox One launch must've been more disastrous than we probably know.

It was pretty bad. MS got extremely lucky in the 360 generation thanks to a combination of smart moves (launching a year early, keeping the price below $400, dropping over a billion to patch up the RRoD issue) and Sony seemingly making every wrong move they could have. Even then Sony managed to claw back to a slight sales advantage at the end of that generation.

Then the Xbox One reveal basically squandered all of the good will they had developed, and Sony isn't going to make the same mistakes they did last time, so there's really no way for Microsoft to come out ahead in s straight fight again. Hence them trying all sorts of shit that they never would have considered were they closer to Sony in sales. Gamepass, pushing crossplay, divorcing their games from the need to own xbox hardware.