As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The XP bonus is extremely nice, but it also means I'm vastly outleveling most of the quests.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Hyur
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The XP bonus is extremely nice, but it also means I'm vastly outleveling most of the quests.

Yeah this happened with a friend who recently went through most of the game.

When you get to HW you'll be able to switch to AST, DRK, or MCH and they start at level 30. If you get Stormblood/Shadowbringers, you'll also have access to RDM and SAM at that time, and they start at level 50.

So you have some options for spreading out the XP.

Renzo on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Moriveth wrote: »

You'll be very happy you are when you get to the 46-49 drought.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    yeah being ahead of things is good, any lead you get is likely going to vanish eventually

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm at 30 after starting the free trial last week but I'm amazed at how consistently I'm gaining levels just doing the barest bones of the main storyline content.

One question I had: is there any sort of build that I should be going for? My dungeons have gone well, and I think I'm contributing pretty well to the team, but I feel like I haven't made any actual decisions about my character. Is it pretty much best gear = you're good?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Viera
    yeah there's no build decisions other than what job you play. At the level cap, on cutting-edge content, there's a TINY bit of messing around with small amounts of different stat bonuses you get from picking between alternate top-end items in the same slots, and a tiny bit of choice from materia.

And of course the true end game, fashion glamouring.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Lalafell
    Yeah. There aren’t really divergent builds in terms of ability choices; you can always equip every ability, and they’re generally designed to all be used (aside from situational stuff like Sleep).

At the tip-top of gear levels, there are sometimes different gear builds based on how much skill/spell speed you can acquire/afford to use, and that will effect some combat rotations. But for the majority of the game, it’s enough to get generally stronger gear and level up.

Enlong on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Musician Alex Moukala analyzes the FF16 trailer music and is strongly of the opinion that if Soken didn't write the music in the trailer, then it's a hell of a coincidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5Wwireenc

Alex even makes short comparison bits of Torn from the Heavens and Stormblood with trailer samples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKtpAihppY

edited September 2020
    Viera
    I wouldn't be surprised, Soken's my favorite music name working at SE right now and there's been a conspicuously large number of remix tracks in the shadowbringers patch content, which are all excellent, but are also apparently remixes from other composers. Meaning "what's Soken been working on?"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    Zay wrote: »
    crwth wrote: »
    i’ll help ishgard again because i made some decent gil

but i’ll be getting my beata title for this season and i’m content with that, won’t need to go nearly as hard next time

unless...a new title.....

beta title lmao got his ass

what the fuck...

EzUAYcn.png
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Enlong wrote: »
    Yeah. There aren’t really divergent builds in terms of ability choices; you can always equip every ability, and they’re generally designed to all be used (aside from situational stuff like Sleep).

At the tip-top of gear levels, there are sometimes different gear builds based on how much skill/spell speed you can acquire/afford to use, and that will effect some combat rotations. But for the majority of the game, it’s enough to get generally stronger gear and level up.

Depending on the patch, gear optimization will tend to give between a 5 and 10% difference in maximum output for a class. The biggest difference you can generally make is the skill of execution. Figuring out how to best time abilities, maintain uptime on the boss, nail mechanic timings, and adjust to any randomized portions of the fight mechanics (though there tends to not be a lot of randomness until the endgame portion).

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »

Depending on the patch, gear optimization will tend to give between a 5 and 10% difference in maximum output for a class. The biggest difference you can generally make is the skill of execution. Figuring out how to best time abilities, maintain uptime on the boss, nail mechanic timings, and adjust to any randomized portions of the fight mechanics (though there tends to not be a lot of randomness until the endgame portion).

Even then the randomness is mostly which tank or which dos is targeted. XIV bosses are extremely scripted.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    yeah there's no build decisions other than what job you play. At the level cap, on cutting-edge content, there's a TINY bit of messing around with small amounts of different stat bonuses you get from picking between alternate top-end items in the same slots, and a tiny bit of choice from materia.

worth noting that these stat differences go from minor to completely irrelevant if you aren't doing serious raiding

so short version: don't sweat it for now! just auto-equip the best available shit you got and have fun

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Well, spell/skill speed stuff still kind of matters just from a make the job feel good to play standpoint.

Even then you can mostly just do whatever. Mostly, cause casters are a PITA in that regard because Black Mage fuckin loves spell speed, but SMN and RDM want literally none if they can manage.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te

worth noting that these stat differences go from minor to completely irrelevant if you aren't doing serious raiding

so short version: don't sweat it for now! just auto-equip the best available shit you got and have fun

Honestly the stat differences go from minor to completely irrelevant if you're not trying to parse or run Ultimates. By the time you achieve BiS (best-in-slot) in a Savage tier you're done with the tier and pentamelded crafted gear is always best for a new tier. Maaaaaybe for a fight like E8S it's worth aiming for BiS without weapon/chest, but given how breakpoints and materia work it's likely that your no-weapon-or-chest BiS is completely different from your true BiS.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I would kill a small child for materia meld plates. Yoshi-pls, let me me go stupid fast on BLM without completely fucking up my SMN melds

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    Viera
    lol there's a roleplay venue holding judge judy-esque trials in the courtroom they built in their basement right now on Sargatanas

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    ph blake wrote: »
    I would kill a small child for materia meld plates. Yoshi-pls, let me me go stupid fast on BLM without completely fucking up my SMN melds

You can kinda-sorta get around this through some trickery with storing unique items in retainers, IIRC, but it's a pain in the ass.

Lalafell
    I'm thinking I should add a priority to my Aetherial Manipulation macro on BLM to make my Focus Target the first priority. That way, I could easily set up something for fights where I need to move with a specific partner, without editing the macro every time or holding my cursor on their name.

I'm making Aetherial Manipulation pretty complicated, but anything to avoid having to actually scroll through the party list to do the thing.

Viera
    I like to set it up as a mouseover macro that instantly casts on whoever my cursor is hovering on, or my target if I'm not mousing over anyone.

/micon Aetherial Manipulation
    /ac Aetherial Manipulation <mo>
    /ac Aetherial Manipulation <t>
    /merror off

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lalafell
    Mine is like that, but I've also got a line on a lower priority that automatically selects party member #4 if none of the other lines are valid. Party member 4 is a healer in most situations, which I feel usually gets me somewhere safe or stacks me with the party. That way, I always have someone to zap to if I don't have time to select anyone, if that person isn't dead or out of range.

/ac Aetherial Manipulation <t>
    /ac Aetherial Manipulation <4>
    /merror off

Though, technically, I guess <t> is redundant, since /ac Aetherial Manipulation assumes my target anyway

The variant I'm considering is:

/ac Aetherial Manipulation
    /ac Aetherial Manipulation <f>
    /ac Aetherial Manipulation <4>
    /merror off

This would put Focus Target below mouseover or actual selection, but above the default party member 4. That way, if I'm in a party where I need a specific partner, I can make them the focus target so I can always zap to them.

Viera
    huh is there no orchestrion roll of that trial's music? I can't see an entry for it

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    huh is there no orchestrion roll of that trial's music? I can't see an entry for it

for Heroes? There is. Comes from the ex trial.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Viera
    oh yeah there it is, weird it comes before the ARR ex primals and the heavensward ex primals.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Nothing new yet, just a short video of limit break exhibition.

Au'ra
    Bah, they didn't actually show the part with Seraph in it for SCH.

Roegadyn
    DRK and WAR's lb3s really do look like an attack more than a defensive move though.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    DRK and WAR's lb3s really do look like an attack more than a defensive move though.

I think that fits thematically

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    There is now a giant, rideable fat cat plush.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    The axe slam for WARs is almost indecipherable in the animation in real time anyway

Au'ra
    Javen wrote: »
    The axe slam for WARs is almost indecipherable in the animation in real time anyway

The tank LB3s are the shortest overall I'm pretty sure.

WHM LB3 seems kind of lacking compared to AST or SCH (although to be fair AST LB3 is like, top 3 flashiest).

Roegadyn
    Polaritie wrote: »

WHM LB3 seems kind of lacking compared to AST or SCH (although to be fair AST LB3 is like, top 3 flashiest).

The original LBs aren't quite as flashy as the newer ones.

Au'ra

WAR's isn't too bad if you watch it on its own where you can see what's going on. The DPS ones are noticable even for 2.0 classes.

Actually SCH's isn't too flashy either, it's just that the Seraph bit is very noticeable for the user since it's right on top of you.

Lalafell

Well, Meteor.

Roegadyn
    I really have a hard time noticing the GNB LB.

Like to the point I thought we were about to wipe during a 5.3 trial run.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Coolest for each role

DRK
    SAM
    DNC
    AST
    3-way tie for all the magic DPS

Melee dps is also hotly contested but SAM wins on the merit of that sheathe at the end.

Roegadyn
    Coolest for each role

DRK
    SAM
    DNC
    AST
    3-way tie for all the magic DPS

Melee dps is also hotly contested but SAM wins on the merit of that sheathe at the end.

Eh, I've always been fond of Chimasuri, with the NIN furiously performing hand signs to summon an array of phantom blades.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    There's also the 7 overlapping copies of each limit break in this exhibition video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBiK1kduTfw

Some of the zoom level in the Square Enix video makes it a bit harder to make out all the details.

edited September 2020
    Viera
    you really need to zoom in on the ninja one to see them going mach 5 with naruto handsigns
    also I never noticed before that DRK's is a giant The Blackest Night

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.