As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Daily Affirmation

ashaelashael Registered User new member
Hey all, I realize this is a stretch but I thought I'd ask here. I don't know if anyone remembers when Scott Kurtz and Kris Straub used to do a podcast called the Daily Affirmation with Scott and Kris. It's my brother's and my favorite podcast of all time and it's tradition that whenever we get together we listen to it. Unfortunately, and much to our despair, it's no longer on iTunes or indeed any other service to which we have access. It's nowhere else online because everything links to the iTunes version. It's a real bonding thing for the both of us and I miss it terribly.

Does anybody have any way of listening to it? I realize this is a hugely unlikely thing given that people don't tend to save podcasts and that it was made a decade ago. But if by some small miracle somebody saved it to their drive I would be ecstatic to hear it again.

Thanks.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Itunes is free?

Power Hour?
    Daily Affirmation?

edit: Did you try them from your computer instead of a device?

edit2: it looks like the actual recording that the various spots sourced from, talkshow, no longer have the files. they're a straight 404 there. IIRC, iTunes doesn't host the files, they just link to them from hosted services.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Your best bet for something like that would be to e-mail Kris Straub.

Or Kurtz, but I imagine if anyone has a backup of those files it would be Straub.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    ashaelashael Registered User new member
    I actually did email Straub, haven't gotten an answer but I wasn't really expecting one given how weird of a request this was. Per tastydonuts' advice I emailed TalkShoe as well but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Thanks anyway, guys, I appreciate it

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Straub was at PAX East, so he might be behind on responding to emails and such so don't give up just yet.

• Options
    KozalityKozality Koz and Effect TorontoRegistered User regular
    ashael wrote: »
    Hey all, I realize this is a stretch but I thought I'd ask here. I don't know if anyone remembers when Scott Kurtz and Kris Straub used to do a podcast called the Daily Affirmation with Scott and Kris. It's my brother's and my favorite podcast of all time and it's tradition that whenever we get together we listen to it. Unfortunately, and much to our despair, it's no longer on iTunes or indeed any other service to which we have access. It's nowhere else online because everything links to the iTunes version. It's a real bonding thing for the both of us and I miss it terribly.

Does anybody have any way of listening to it? I realize this is a hugely unlikely thing given that people don't tend to save podcasts and that it was made a decade ago. But if by some small miracle somebody saved it to their drive I would be ecstatic to hear it again.

Thanks.

Hey, I know this is late (by like 2+ years), but I did save a copy of all 84 episodes of Daily Affirmation on my PC when they took it off itunes/talkshoe - it was one of my favourites as well... they were saved on my iTunes so I added them to my iPod and saved them as .mp3s.

Not sure the best way to share them with you, but I would hate it if I couldn't relisten to certain episodes (i.e "A Real Nightmare" and "Ahhhh... Oop" come to mind).

KozalitySig.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    @ashael Since @Kozality already necro'ed the thread, I'll add that I still have them on an iPod classic that works... No idea how to go about getting them off it or share it online, but if someone can walk me through that I can act as a second backup source.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DinnyDinny Registered User regular
    I was just reading this thread the other day! I still have a few of them on an old IPOD that i'm afriad to wipe, but I would love to get some more!

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Kozality wrote: »
    ashael wrote: »

Thanks.

Hey, I know this is late (by like 2+ years), but I did save a copy of all 84 episodes of Daily Affirmation on my PC when they took it off itunes/talkshoe - it was one of my favourites as well... they were saved on my iTunes so I added them to my iPod and saved them as .mp3s.

Not sure the best way to share them with you, but I would hate it if I couldn't relisten to certain episodes (i.e "A Real Nightmare" and "Ahhhh... Oop" come to mind).

Google Drive is free up to 15GB, I believe?

Could make a new Google account and share.

• Options
    Hello!!! Sorry to bug you but I would love to get a hold of these, a shared google doc or dropbox or h*ck even you could email them to me and i'll work out how to share :)

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Hi, just letting everyone know I haven't forgotten about this thread. Since it looks like it's gonna fall to me, I'll try to get them up on a Google Drive by Friday.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles you're the best

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I've never listened to the podcast in question, but this seems like something someone could put onto archive.org eventually. I know they have all of (or at least most of) 1up.com's old podcasts, so it seems like a logical place to put something like this. I just don't know what the requirements are, if any, for uploading something there.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Good news! I made a shared Google drive folder. The files have weird iPod character-string names, but if you add the files to your mp3 player of choice they will have the metadata like the episode names & numbers, etc (at least it works in iTunes).

Bad news! I seem to be missing 8 of the 84 episodes (the folder has a txt file with the list):
    Fortunately both of the ones Kozality mentioned are present. The only episode I can recall that's missing is the reverse-prank call one. Not sure what the other missing ones could be. @Kozality any chance you can upload the remaining 8?

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    I am currently creating a g-account with all eps and will give access to Dinny as soon as they are uploaded. They can share after the transfer is done and all eps will be available. Hopefully in the next couple of hours.

KozalitySig.png
  • Options
    The episodes are titled and numbered as well :)

KozalitySig.png
  • Options
    I also have all 40 of the Kris and Scott Power Hour episodes that were on iTunes and 80+ Webcomics Weekly if anyone is interested... let me know here otherwise they will die with me I suppose.

KozalitySig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Oh man, that's awesome! Thanks a bunch @Kozality .

I never got around to checking out the power hour, that would be pretty interesting.

Regarding Webcomics Weekly, for the most part people can use the archive on Brad Guigar's webcomics.com site. I just went through the whole thing myself and all but one episode work (the site has a paywall for its articles, but the WW podcasts are available to everyone for free). The only episode that's dead there is Webcomics Weekly #79 - Reputation. Also #5 is missing, but IIRC they lost the audio for it before it was ever released, and forgot to adjust the numbering, so there never was a 5 (I believe Dave Kellett explains that somewhere in episode 8).

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Oh man, that's awesome! Thanks a bunch @Kozality .

I never got around to checking out the power hour, that would be pretty interesting.

Regarding Webcomics Weekly, for the most part people can use the archive on Brad Guigar's webcomics.com site. I just went through the whole thing myself and all but one episode work (the site has a paywall for its articles, but the WW podcasts are available to everyone for free). The only episode that's dead there is Webcomics Weekly #79 - Reputation. Also #5 is missing, but IIRC they lost the audio for it before it was ever released, and forgot to adjust the numbering, so there never was a 5 (I believe Dave Kellett explains that somewhere in episode 8).

Yes. #5 is missing and was never uploaded. #79 however I have, also the 4 episodes that were Kickstarter bonuses for Brad's updated "The Webcomics Handbook" tiers (plus webcomics confidential and Webcomics Live both from 2007).

I'll see what I can do about creating another account with access to all the PA adjacent podcasts I can. May take a while as I have some life stuff to do, but I will be sure to post here when it happens.

KozalitySig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12XTk77A-t8NGyyFtz7uXog58BKuuNIut?fbclid=IwAR0MZlpHtkipytARYkV2WPxQicfRmcLc4MLJ24vnAV7yuXdIpVDvZan0Wbg

There is the link! All the episodes are there, named and numbered. Thanks a bunch to Kozality for the uploads!

(*EDIT*) This was not working before. Please give it a red hot try now.

Dinny on
  • Options
    I fixed the broken link in my above post.

• Options
    JonLockJonLock Registered User new member
    Hey folks

Created an account just to say thank you for tracking down these files and sharing. I came to the Daily Affirmation late but ended up binging them all following surgery in 2016. Needless to say, it became a big part of my life and I was heartbroken when the files disappeared.

Just for interest, I was able to get hold of TalkShoe a while ago. They said that they'd suffered a massive server error a few years back, which is why so many of their podcasts had gone offline. They also said that they were only focusing on restoring shows that had updated within the last decade, so not much chance of getting the show back from the official source.

Thanks again. Can't wait to revisit these.

• Options
    NHPencilsNHPencils Registered User new member
    (Very) late to the party here but I wanted to share my eternal gratitude to @Kozality and @Dinny for uploading these.

@Kozality – you mentioned you had 40 episodes of The Scott and Kris Power Hour. If you feel charitable about uploading those to Google Drive – and even that memorable missing episode 79 of Webcomics Weekly – I would love to have access to them.

The audio quality on those Power Hour episodes isn’t great, I know. But it would mean a lot to me to have them back as a historical document.

Daily Affirmation was (is!) my favourite podcast and a perennial comfort blanket; it was heartbreaking to wake up one day, and discover it had vanished. The fact that it’s all back on my phone feels like a minor miracle.

Thanks again, and Zam Clam.