As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I've recently found a bit of a hole in my collection. Been playing with some others who mainly play CaH, What Do You Meme etc. My copy of Monikers went down a treat. But... I don't really have another other games like that? And I don't want to get CaH?

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    I've recently found a bit of a hole in my collection. Been playing with some others who mainly play CaH, What Do You Meme etc. My copy of Monikers went down a treat. But... I don't really have another other games like that? And I don't want to get CaH?

Just One is a strong party game if you're not just looking for a non-CaH Apples to Apples clone.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Dixit is similar to the Apples to Apples games but with an opportunity for creativity

You might also have some luck with codenames and The Resistance

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Along the same lines as dixit, it's a bit more rules-heavy, but mysterium has gone over well with casual/party game crowds for me.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Nice! I've already got Codenames, Dixit and Mysterium. I hadn't considered them but I'll give them a go. i've found Mysterium is a bit long and needs patient players, but there has been a a few similar games out recently. I heard good things about Obscurio, and there's a game out there that I can never remember the name of that is like a murder mystery Mysterium. Which I'm keen ontrying because I always use "like Cluedo but with weird dreams" to describe Mysterium. Its a good description but not entirely accurate. Mysterium has the weird "everyone finds their 3 things, then you all find the real murderer" gameplay and it has been a source of confusion in the past. Plus its commonly accepted by most that the last round of Mysterium is, "eh".

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    A Fake Artist Goes to New York?
    Spyfall?

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    If just one is the one with the little white board placards I'm a big fan of that.

Also the LGS i was working at last year just sent me a picture of my kickstarter for Horizon Zero Dawn being delivered to them. I look forward to picking it up then not playing boardgames in person with anyone until there's a covid vaccine

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Nice! I've already got Codenames, Dixit and Mysterium. I hadn't considered them but I'll give them a go. i've found Mysterium is a bit long and needs patient players, but there has been a a few similar games out recently. I heard good things about Obscurio, and there's a game out there that I can never remember the name of that is like a murder mystery Mysterium. Which I'm keen ontrying because I always use "like Cluedo but with weird dreams" to describe Mysterium. Its a good description but not entirely accurate. Mysterium has the weird "everyone finds their 3 things, then you all find the real murderer" gameplay and it has been a source of confusion in the past. Plus its commonly accepted by most that the last round of Mysterium is, "eh".

If you can get away with a game that plays only 4, try Einstein: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V4S2NC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had great luck introducing it to folks who don't play many board games. It's also a really nice change of pace for people who do play a lot of board games. It's just different and interesting enough that most people I teach it to end up playing a second game right after the first.

Dixit and Codenames are great with that kind of crowd. You could also look at Funemployed, Superfight, Pitchstorm, Snake Oil, Organ Attack! or stuff like Wits & Wagers. One Night Ultimate Werewolf sometimes goes over really well to ease people into something more complicated, but sometimes lands like a brick.

Muse is another one that combines elements of multiple games along those lines that I really like. You're using cards like those in Dixit or Mysterium but combining that with challenges like getting your team to pick the right card by humming or miming.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    If you're burnt out on Codenames, and you have a group that's willing to be thinky, Decrypto can be great. And it's not that expensive, so not a huge loss if it doesn't go over well.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Maybe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L2-RY_oNk0

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    My local game store got in their Asmodee shipment! Only a business day late, but hey it's here!

Barkham Horror is EVERYTHING I wanted it to be. The puns, man... the puns.

And the AH 3rd expansion is sufficiently epic.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    My local game store got in their Asmodee shipment! Only a business day late, but hey it's here!

I just got both of those in, too! And my final two packs for the Carcosa cycle are almost in, as well. Hell, let's throw in the Fallout board game co-operative expansion and it's looking to be one heck of a good week.

Christ, FFG. Stop assaulting my wallet. The next Arkham Horror LCG cycle is going to hit stores soon, and next month we've got an expansion to Civilization: A New Dawn.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Man I don't see any connection between race for the galaxy and terraforming mars.
    I guess with some of the expansions on Race you have milestones and such.
    Maybe I'm in too deep on those two. Anyone interested in sharing light on that comparison?

VayBJ4e.png
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

I just got both of those in, too! And my final two packs for the Carcosa cycle are almost in, as well. Hell, let's throw in the Fallout board game co-operative expansion and it's looking to be one heck of a good week.

Christ, FFG. Stop assaulting my wallet. The next Arkham Horror LCG cycle is going to hit stores soon, and next month we've got an expansion to Civilization: A New Dawn.

I really like the AH Lcg and I will have literally everything once I pick up barkham but at this points it's well past an amount of cards/content that is reasonable for me to have. Hell, Ive pared down my magic collection to be smaller than this cooperative game that doesn't require me to stay up to date

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a odd question
    I know I have the various WoW board games {the FFg one and the various parts of the adventure one} But I saw Small World of Warcraft on ebay but saw it was limited release then looking again I saw it was mass market?
    But how does it play? part of me just wants to get it for the over arching collection but I was looking for games to play. Can I play it with one other person?

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    If you're not familiar with the base game, I've seen praise for Small World as a 2-player game. It was also a staple for a buddy and his wife. (I've only played it at larger counts, but I like what I've played). Disregard if you're referring specifically to the SWoW iteration.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I've been enjoying LotR Journeys in Middle Earth. It does a nice job reflecting that feeling of "the world is getting darker, dangerous things are around the corner, this horde is stalking you, etc."

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Man I don't see any connection between race for the galaxy and terraforming mars.
    Maybe I'm in too deep on those two. Anyone interested in sharing light on that comparison?

They're both card games where you build up a tableau of things to score points. Beyond that they're not particularly comparable I don't think.

Speaking of card games, I'm deep down the Marvel Champions rabbit hole these days. Very fun game, that. The Kang scenario that's shipping looks really fun, with the way you individually get shot off to different places in time and have to fight your way back together. Also it's got an encounter set with a T Rex in it, so that's going in like every scenario I play from now on I guess.

Ah_Pook on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

They're both card games where you build up a tableau of things to score points. Beyond that they're not particularly comparable I don't think.
    You left out the part where both of them are basically just building the best you can based on the random cards you draw. :P
    The core arc of both games is very similar. One just has a fiddlier economy, a board, and less player interaction.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

Hasbro Pulse running a campaign for a new Hero Quest. It's pricey but it looks real nice.

Their total is kind of high though, they want $1 million total in 45 days to move forward.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Love to support small indie developer Hasbro with $1 million in pre-orders for timed exclusives.

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Is there any indication that gameplay-design-wise it's anything other than a straight remake? The character sheets and (visible) spells are pretty much identical to the Milton Bradley box. And I mean, it was ahead of its time to be sure, but it seems like we may have moved past it.

Ha, its gets better. Someone local (Atlantic Canada) was entertaining buying in:
    u15qfto22vhh.png

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    Is there any indication that gameplay-design-wise it's anything other than a straight remake? The character sheets and (visible) spells are pretty much identical to the Milton Bradley box. And I mean, it was ahead of its time to be sure, but it seems like we may have moved past it.

It's pretty much 1:1 gameplay-wise, though it does use the US ruleset(there are some differences between the US and UK releases is my understanding like monster health). The main difference is that character/monster designs have been altered to be less Games Workshop-y so as to avoid legal mumbo jumbo.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Ha, its gets better. Someone local (Atlantic Canada) was entertaining buying in:
    u15qfto22vhh.png

Wow, that's BS. Like.. I'm pretty sure shipping was baked into my cost for the Unicron crowdfunding effort?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    admanb wrote: »
    Love to support small indie developer Hasbro with $1 million in pre-orders for timed exclusives.

Hasbro till all are one
    If you're not familiar with the base game, I've seen praise for Small World as a 2-player game. It was also a staple for a buddy and his wife. (I've only played it at larger counts, but I like what I've played). Disregard if you're referring specifically to the SWoW iteration.

From what I have looked up it plays the same just has different tokens?

Donnicton wrote: »

Hasbro Pulse running a campaign for a new Hero Quest. It's pricey but it looks real nice.

Their total is kind of high though
    , they want $1 million total in 45 days to move forward.

And it's already backed.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    I used to play Heroquest a bunch when I was younger (part playing the game, part roleplaying the heroes), and I don't have a particular interest in backing this version...but the item and spell card back arts are pulling my nostalgia strings HARD.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    There's plenty of nostalgia for HeroQuest, but there are so many other games doing the same kind of thing but in more interesting ways or with far more depth over the past few years. I wouldn't mind having it to play with my kids a bit, but I can't get interested in spending $150 for it when those other options exist.

edited September 2020
    Man, imagine if Avalon Hill was still under Wizards for this.

“Introducing the HeroQuest Secret Lair! Only $50 for a set of five new loot cards that the Wizard might be able to use!”

Five days later: “we regret to inform you that there was a typo in the announcement, we missed a word and meant to say ‘the Wizard might not’”

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    We had a wonderful whirlwind game night last night playing a bunch of smaller titles. I was pleasantly floored by Eggs of Ostrich, a 3-player only bidding/bluffing game that takes about 10 minutes to play. This is such a good cap-off-the-night game. Fill your bags with ostrich eggs, but if you overfill a bag it breaks. A bit of Incan Gold with hand management and it only lasts 10 rounds. If you spot it on a shelf and can handle exclusively 3-players, it's a real treasure (though honestly, I don't know what the availability is like? But this would be insanely easy to print & play for anyone interested).

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Trudvang Legends has been delayed at least a year, because CMON was not happy with how it was turning out from both a gameplay and narrative perspective. That's pretty rough news considering fulfillment was scheduled for December. And it does not fill me with confidence considering their campaigns are full of countless pictures of miniatures and expansions.

I think I may request a refund, which is a shame because I loved the theme/art/world. I've been unsure about Massive Darkness 2, too, which I may back off now.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    Wouldn't delaying a game because it wasn't up to their standards a sign of a good thing?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Wouldn't delaying a game because it wasn't up to their standards a sign of a good thing?

Depends on the history of the designer. A designer/company with a strong catalog and a history of delivering? Sure, re-work it, make it better. A creator on a new kickstarter or just one or two deliveries? I would be worried that they've gone done fucked up. Either they don't know what they are doing, or they do need to do it, but I would worry about them having the cash flow to deliver.

Now it appears that CMON has over 40 successful kickstarters, so they probably have the capacity to know when they need to re-do something and the skill to pull it off along with the cash on hand to deliver on a delay. It's still not great, but there is some trust there.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    Dashui wrote: »
    Trudvang Legends has been delayed at least a year, because CMON was not happy with how it was turning out from both a gameplay and narrative perspective. That's pretty rough news considering fulfillment was scheduled for December. And it does not fill me with confidence considering their campaigns are full of countless pictures of miniatures and expansions.

I think I may request a refund, which is a shame because I loved the theme/art/world. I've been unsure about Massive Darkness 2, too, which I may back off now.

If it helps any:

persona4celestia.jpg
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Their total is kind of high though, they want $1 million total in 45 days to move forward.

It's already at $1.2 million.

I'd throw money at it, but this pandemic has soured by mood for really expensive board games I haven't been able to break out. Sure, I figure by the time I get my hands on it MAYBE we'll be playing in person again. But then I remind myself I went all in with Return to Dark Tower. I also pre-ordered the new D&D Adventure Begins game. At $25, it could fill the need for a family fantasy co-op romp.

Frankly it's an "It depends" situation with a lot of context. Webguy20's answer is one chunk, but I'd say another big risk you run into is that a redesign can change fundamental aspects of the game and make it so it's no longer what some original supporters want. I remember when Duelyst switched from being a 1-time-purchase tactics game to a Hearthstone model in the middle of their development. I don't expect CMON to up-end the game in this case, and they're too well established to simply fail to deliver the project, but I can 100% get behind someone expressing caution when something like this is announced.

Hell if they threw in the Elf and Barbarian quest packs I would go far deeper than $150 for it

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I still own my original Hero's Quest from when I was a kid (it's in OK shape), but I regret never getting any of the expansion stuff. Not that I'll ever get the game to the table again, but it would be nice to own them as well.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    But HeroQuest is super boring.