As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Cooking] thread 2: 2019's 2020's revenge

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This might be a thing everyone knows and I am dumb about but if you just need a thing to taste better, like for instance a potato salad that came out blander than you wanted, Samber powder is magical. I've put it in so many things and it's always good!

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I am excited, Saturday is going to be chili day. I think this time I'm going to bloom those spices a bit with the onion and garlic to awaken the flavor.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Cooking thread

I found pumpkin spice flavored coffee beans at Aldi

I am using them to make cold brew coffee, which should be ready when I get home tonight

Cold brew is typically pretty damn strong, caffeine wise, even if it's really smooth and not bitter, so I'm just going to take a small cuppa when I get home

The grounds smelled great, I am hopeful

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I made jambalaya, one of the few things I know how to cook that involves five or more ingredients.
    This batch came out pretty dang good, if I do say so. Made sure to brown the chicken and sausage first, and put the rice and shrimp in last, after everything else had come to a slow boil.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I made homemade citrus/orange marmalade.

marmalade+cheese+sunflower bread = Nostalgia heaven.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Any recommendations for a good pair of kitchen shears?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

oxo makes a good pair

I haven't had a problem with mine at any rate!

• Options
    RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

oxo makes a good pair

Do they separate for easy cleaning? Key thing when used to cut meat.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I have a pair of joyce chen shears and they're good but they're not separable which means when they get dull I guess I'm just throwing them away

professionals love to recommend them, I suspect it's because they can afford to just buy a new pair every six months

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

oxo makes a good pair

Do they separate for easy cleaning? Key thing when used to cut meat.

yep

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    Made orange chicken tonight:

jsE1pbW.jpg

Created a big mess to clean up but it was worth it, it tasted so good

xet8c.gif

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Just popping in to say, if you can afford ceramic coated cookware, fucking buy that shit oh my god this frying pan is so good and it just wipes clean with a little soapy hot water and a sponge or a cloth. Like, it's ridiculous. And oven safe. I love it.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    While I’m not quite ready to go full vegan/vegetarian just yet I am definitely trying to eat meat much less often, and this channel is becoming a huge source of inspiration:

https://youtu.be/Hxg38ng2B1I

it helps that they really promote using mushrooms in place of meat in a lot of dishes and I fucking love mushrooms

• Options
    I made a carrot cake!

gpif7d52eort.jpg

all the usual suspects inside except no walnuts

I added spicebush berries and sprinkled pulverized lavender blossoms and rose petals on top of homemade buttercream icing

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Today’s farmers market haul:
    ajrfzopmo9bv.jpeg

As cook-along folks may guess I am absolutely making Three Sisters soup again, the king oyster mushroom on the left is getting shredded for tacos and the massive oyster mushroom cluster is getting pan-seared whole

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We made shredded King Oyster mushroom tacos a few weeks ago, it was really good, like surprisingly really good. I don't think you'd ever mistake it for meat but it was really delicious.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Chili night went super good! It was just a basic recipe but I've never used the slow cooker for it before, and it turned out great. Perfect consistency, right balance of flavors, and it half an alarm at best so people could add hot sauce to make it more or less spicy.

I'd post a picture but it all got eaten!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    had some leftovers to use up so I made sardine and potato fishcakes
    but they were startlingly average so even though they looked good and I took a photo, I'm not gonna post it. Has to be delicious to be deserving of the thread.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    but they were startlingly average so even though they looked good and I took a photo, I'm not gonna post it. Has to be delicious to be deserving of the thread.

Now I’m craving some spicy sardines with onion and yellow mustard sandwich!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    7mw89qd894ej.jpeg
    Avocado stuffed chicken for dinner tonight! We followed a recipe, which we don't normally do. It was fine, but a little bland. Needed more spice on the chicken.

There is an old avocado orchid near my dad's house. I gotta keep eating these suckers we got so many of em!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    kilnbornkilnborn Registered User regular
    If y'all knew how many avocados, or how much cheese I ate, y'all'd be appalled.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

Now I’m craving some spicy sardines with onion and yellow mustard sandwich!

Sardines! Sardines! Love a fresh plate of sardines.

I can't read that word and not hear the opening monologue from Noises Off in my head.

If you haven't seen the movie, you need to.

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I've not seen the film but I saw a live performance a few years ago. It was great.

• Options
    I really enjoyed avocados

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Ew gross, you're not one of those god-damned millennials, are you?

HAVE WE BEEN INFILTRATED?!?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »
    If y'all knew how many avocados, or how much cheese I ate, y'all'd be appalled.

I might nod in a show of knowing respect, perhaps.

Game recognize game.

• Options

I'm 36, so I think I am a millennial, right?

Anyway, my gastroenterologist said I should avoid avocados and I miss eating them

Eliminating them and some other items from my diet has calmed my guts somewhat

Eager to get some resolution

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Anyway, my gastroenterologist said I should avoid avocados and I miss eating them

I'm 37 and I'm a millennial, so you probably are too.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ashaman42 wrote: »
    I've not seen the film but I saw a live performance a few years ago. It was great.

I was the stage manager for our uni production. It's just as much chaos in the actual backstage as on the show.

Anyways the movie stars Carol Burnett and a bunch of other comedy greats from the late 70s. Definitely a good watch.

• Options
    SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    For a quick weeknight meal, made baked salmon with a honey mustard sauce:

VYTVkQH.jpg

It tasted great; stupendous effort to outcome ratio on this one

xet8c.gif

• Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    I found the bad food thread for my first food posts little bit rusty. Tonight, Mediterranean tilapia- tilapia cavity stuffed with dill and cilantro, red onion on top, ginger, white wine reduction, garlic. Fish seasoned before putting in pan with cumin, coriander, paprika, kosher salt, black pepper. Cooked and then topped with green onion and tomato before a quick broil.

ziwdgtnkgp46.jpg

5jd507ozh9nc.jpg

• Options
    LeperMessiahLeperMessiah Registered User regular
    Sal wrote: »
    For a quick weeknight meal, made baked salmon with a honey mustard sauce:

VYTVkQH.jpg

It tasted great; stupendous effort to outcome ratio on this one

This looks amazing!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular

Yo today I got an email from someone on our HR team saying my insurance deductible has gone up one dollar

I was like aight

And then she was like

It's due to age

W O W CAROL DID YOU HAVE TO

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I’ll fuckin’ deductible your face Carol, what the fuck.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Carol over here writin' checks her body can't cash

• Options
    found about 12 lbs of maitake today =)

I'll have the same amount again on Sunday!

76mfdfvnrwt7.jpg

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So it's not huge, but I have a small kitchen built to the sensibilities of the 50s. I spent this afternoon cleaning up a corner of my limited counter space, got rid of a lazy Susan spice rack and replaced it with a skinnier shelf that puts everything in reach for the items I use on a regular basis. I probably gained over 2sq ft of counter space and increased storage by going vertical. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I also cleaned out my spice rack and alphabetized it.

radp2dxbwwou.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Kinda wanted Caldo Verde

Kinda wanted chicken stew

I'm taking the obvious way out of this dilemma, especially as it's a long and uncertain trek to the nearest place that actually sells linguica.

EDIT: this is smelling pretty good. I shoulda thought of this before.

V1m on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    hell yes that sounds great

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    It was pretty good!

Learning points:

- I put in too much chicken. A 2:1 chicken:potato ratio is easily enough. 2:5 would probably work well.

- Winter greens take longer to cook than I vaguely assumed on the basis of doing no research or recollection at all. I expected 15-20 mins on a low simmer, so I put them in towards the end of the cooking. They actually took more like 30-35. That did the chicken thigh meat no real harm, and actually gave the potatoes more time to fall and thicken the broth, but I had put in some other veg to use up the orphans in the fridge and the bell pepper and courgette I put in with the greens were more cooked than I prefer.

This discussion has been closed.