As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fitness and Weight Management]: It's a lifestyle

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    DouglasDanger can I recommend instead of doing three straight sets you do a set of regular, set of close hands, set of wide hands, and then repeat? That'll give you a more comprehensive chest workout. Ten reps per set, minute rest in between sets.

That sounds good

Push-ups 25-30 are pretty wobbly

I'm not sure how decent any past 35 would be

Do you think one set of each would be worth it?

So 10 normal, 10 wide, 10 close?

I think too much, so I made it to 30 by adding a pushup or two a day to a set

Maybe I ll do sets of 10, then 12, then 14

Then switch to four sets

I don't have much idea what I'm doing workout-ways

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    DouglasDanger can I recommend instead of doing three straight sets you do a set of regular, set of close hands, set of wide hands, and then repeat? That'll give you a more comprehensive chest workout. Ten reps per set, minute rest in between sets.

That sounds good

Push-ups 25-30 are pretty wobbly

I'm not sure how decent any past 35 would be

Do you think one set of each would be worth it?

So 10 normal, 10 wide, 10 close?

I think too much, so I made it to 30 by adding a pushup or two a day to a set

Maybe I ll do sets of 10, then 12, then 14

Then switch to four sets

I don't have much idea what I'm doing workout-ways

Do the regular pushups as the last set and do them to failure. Once you get to 45 pushups total, do sets of 15 and the last one to failure, then 20 etc....

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote: »
    My wife and I bought a water-based rowing machine since we wanted some weather-agnostic cardio. It's a lot of fun so far and the sound of the water is actually pretty soothing.

I had never heard of these before, that's kinda neat!

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I completed the 25 push-ups a day for 25 days challenge

I'm going to start a new thing of my own now

30 push-ups three sets of 10
    30 sit-ups ''
    30 squats "

And walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes

I just started to get back into push-ups. I put a set of push-ups stands by the door to the kitchen and did 10 every time I went through. I was too fatigued to do one pushup by around noon. I'll have to do it again when I stop being hella sore.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My back is now absurdly tight and painful from basically the shoulder blades down.

I'm not sure its ever been this bad before. I guess its my body's way of telling me it's finally time to die. Just gonna lock up and make it hard to move so I get eaten by the hyenas while the younger, more virile of the herd can live to reproduce.

Juggernut on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Oh man, there's dumbells finally available at Amazon!
    https://www.amazon.com/ATIVAFIT-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Weight-Single/dp/B07PZV2HDG/ref=pd_di_sccai_5/138-3057776-9493939?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07PZV2HDG&pd_rd_r=8891a720-d02a-4076-bb0b-465706e75cbf&pd_rd_w=unZZo&pd_rd_wg=AwU3O&pf_rd_p=5415687b-2c9d-46da-88a4-bbcfe8e07f3c&pf_rd_r=7WQ46A3G6CDFZYXJV97M&refRID=7WQ46A3G6CDFZYXJV97M&th=1

I had managed to find a pair of 5 and 3s, and been using them together when doing workouts for fitness blender but still needed heavier weights to really challenge myself.

250 for dumbells is really a lot more than I was thinking of spending though.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I would suggest something like the 50 pound pair of these, but they're not back in stock for ~3 weeks: https://www.amazon.com//dp/B005MHDPBW/

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I would suggest something like the 50 pound pair of these, but they're not back in stock for ~3 weeks: https://www.amazon.com//dp/B005MHDPBW/

I've never had a good experience with these. The little nut thing can never get tight enough and the weight always shifts and it's hard to do a good set.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I've never had a good experience with these. The little nut thing can never get tight enough and the weight always shifts and it's hard to do a good set.

Those ones have little locking screws on the collars. Wind the collar down nice and firm by hand, then wind the little thumbscrew onto the handle to lock the collar in place.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The Fitbit I got last Friday has started developing these lines of dead pixels across the screen. Googling tells me it's a really common problem and most people end up just having to get a replacement, which I won't be able to do because I bought it second hand. I hope it just stops getting worse, or else I'm out £70 and a device I was actually getting some good out of

I ended up biting the bullet and ordering 2 pairs of the adjustable dumb bells.

The online workouts I do have pretty quick switching between weights for the different workouts, so I think those will be less of a hassle in the long run.
    It's also a good reminder to cancel my gym membership. Between running outdoors regardless of the weather and these weights, I really don't have a reason to return to the gym (and you know, pandemic).

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If your Fitbit does die, and you don't wanna spend the cash on a new one, I've been using a misfit for years. They're much cheaper, and they'll give you a replacement at the drop off a hat if something does go wrong

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I've never heard of those before. Their website is on hold or something, but if this thing does give up the ghost I'll check back. Thanks for the tip.

Apparently today I climbed the equivalent of 121 flights of stairs. That's too many stairs.

Fitbit gave me an award for doing 100 in a day. I don't know what number you have to hit to get the next award and I don't think I'll ever find out.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Apparently today I climbed the equivalent of 121 flights of stairs. That's too many stairs.

Fitbit gave me an award for doing 100 in a day. I don't know what number you have to hit to get the next award and I don't think I'll ever find out.

Realistically you can only get the next achievement if you pay for the dlc, unless you're really into grinding.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Doing weights, was doing pull-downs, and can't say I'm too happy with the noises and sensations that just came from my left shoulder.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Doing weights, was doing pull-downs, and can't say I'm too happy with the noises and sensations that just came from my left shoulder.

More like bubble wrap or gravel?

steam_sig.png
    Squishy-crunchy?

My back is still fucked up. Luckily the tightness from over compensating muscles has gone away but my lower back just won't get right.

I guess I'm gonna just focus on all upper body stuff until it straightens out and I can reliably bend over again.

I got my adjustable weights and did a few workouts with them.
    The switching between weights could be a bit smoother and the plates slightly bump into one another during use, but overall I'm super happy with them.
    Having a decent weight variety, being able to switch quickly enough and the space saved make them worth the higher price.
    ctw4hmqlpuw6.jpg

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    So

After a lot of fucking about with my exercise schedule, I've decided the following

Strict three days rest per week

On workout days, we climb, and then afterwards we do a chest and core routine because realistically, my chest is getting left behind a lot and I need to develop it more. The routine is six sets of probably 10-16 press-ups depending on type (one normal, 12 o clock hands, one 10/2 hands, one hand up/hand down, reverse, one wide, one narrow). Minute rest between.

That'll give me a solid chest workout, mainten the rest days, and balance me out. I'll do it after climbing in the gym area so it just becomes routine.

My mom got me one of those Ninja Blenders which she uses all the time. It does make a pretty mean smoothie.

Basically I have no excuse to not stuff my protein shakes full of spinach now. Its pretty flavor neutral and full of those vitamin things that you apparently need or something. Guess its a good way to make sure I'm getting enough veggietables

I wanna complain, but I'm gonna take it out of the job thread.

Ouch, my lower ribs/upper abs.

And more on thread topic, I am expecting a delivery today of one of those foam rolling things, which will hopefully help with how tight my thighs and lower back have been from all of the running.

• Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    I don't get this running malarkey!

I did my fourth ever 10k on Wednesday and squats for the first time in three weeks yesterday so when I eventually dragged myself out the door (into what was quite a cold wind) I only had my sights set on a steady 5k. Wasn't looking at the watch for pace, not specifically keeping to a slow pace, just running by feel apart from the 1km lap marker where I had a quick look to see how long that k took.

Well the first four k were at pretty much my usual cruise pace (~5:20/km) and I didn't feel like it was hard work holding that so decided to see how fast I could do the final kilometre. Somehow, despite stopping to give a driver directions into town, I did that final one in 4:30 and ended up with my third fastest ever 5k.

Of course after the last few days my calves are letting me know about it so after I finish this restorative beer I'll have a quick shower and then we can stick homemade sourdough pizzas in the oven and chill out ont' sofa.

My plans for a long bike ride tomorrow will be reviewed when I wake up and see if I can move.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    So, bad weather and kids here going back to school (I seriously hate being on the street in the mornings when kids are going to school) made my normal walking and occasional jogging drop off for a few weeks.

At which point I started getting completely random aches, stabbing pains, and fatigue throughout my lower body, sometimes quite severe, which when accurately described to Google kept turning up fibromyalgia. Which is apparently heavily comorbid with the Behcet's Disease my doctor suspects (no real test for it, and alternatives that can be tested for haven't been eliminated, but it's a perfect match for symptoms).

Anyway, that pain in my lower body goes away as soon as I start walking again.

But the thing is, for years now I've had similar chest wall pain and pain in my arms that I mostly just ignore as being a consequence of my computer use. But if the difference between 'some exercise' and 'no exercise' is that dramatic for my legs and feet, I really need to figure out a regimen I can stick to for my upper body. I guess for now I'll just keep grinding away at the small number of pushups my wrists can currently endure (they started screaming before my muscles, which isn't a great sign).

Kamar on

It's 150. I did 163 today.

The Cotswolds: Too Damn Hilly

Appointment with my doc on Wednesday, think I tore my rotator cuff. Don't get old!

I've been fighting a frozen shoulder for about 2 years now. It sucks, don't let that happen to you if you can avoid it.

Geeked my left shoulder out this morning so the tally is now: back, shoulder, and right hand.

Please just shoot me it is the kindest thing to do.

Went backpacking this weekend, and my pack was about 20lbs, a little less than what I lost these past few months, so I figured it would be a breeze! After all, it would just be like my hikes earlier in the year.

Nope. Apparently carrying weight in your body is different than carrying it outside of it. Who knew?!

Still it was nice to get out in nature and I'm always impressed that I can even do a backpacking trip in the first place.

Discovered today I am down a hole on my belt. And the belt is already pretty old so I'm assuming it hasn't just stretched. Success!

Just like 4 more to go

New half marathon pr! 2:03, and my last one in March was 2:10. Before that, a year ago it was 2:17, so it's really gratifying seeing those times go down.

Usually I would say it was thanks to the amazing cool weather and everything feeling good, but these past few months I been really consistent with my running and strength workouts, and I'm down 30 lbs, so I know I earned this through my hard work.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Discovered today I am down a hole on my belt. And the belt is already pretty old so I'm assuming it hasn't just stretched. Success!

Just like 4 more to go

Really great progress though!

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    So WHOOPS, I took an hour long walk yesterday to calm my nerves and that's the most I've probably moved in months...now I have what feels like some under-exercised hip/leg muscles have tightened up and gotten a bit sore. Soreness isn't severe, feels like normal workout soreness...but standing up straight feels a little painful like I'm over-stretching them (so I've been leaning over slightly today), and lifting either leg from a laying-down position is pretty painful.

..but has anybody else ever experienced pain there after exercise? It's kinda a dull pain and isn't anywhere near doctor-worthy yet (it feels like regular muscle soreness), but the location is just weird for me and I'm curious as to why I have it. I've been trying to get better lately at fixing my posture and stretching muscles that usually tighten up on me, so if this is the symptom of a particular muscle group needing some extra attention (or posture, or whatever), I'd love to know so I can work on preventing it.

Looking up the location, it feels like it's all within this triangle, immediately around that ligament specifically.
    xagh41kp5mkd.png

Maybe my hips just extra crazy tight nowadays from being sedentary and perma-quarantined, maybe?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So WHOOPS, I took an hour long walk yesterday to calm my nerves and that's the most I've probably moved in months...now I have what feels like some under-exercised hip/leg muscles have tightened up and gotten a bit sore. Soreness isn't severe, feels like normal workout soreness...but standing up straight feels a little painful like I'm over-stretching them (so I've been leaning over slightly today), and lifting either leg from a laying-down position is pretty painful.

..but has anybody else ever experienced pain there after exercise? It's kinda a dull pain and isn't anywhere near doctor-worthy yet (it feels like regular muscle soreness), but the location is just weird for me and I'm curious as to why I have it. I've been trying to get better lately at fixing my posture and stretching muscles that usually tighten up on me, so if this is the symptom of a particular muscle group needing some extra attention (or posture, or whatever), I'd love to know so I can work on preventing it.

Looking up the location, it feels like it's all within this triangle, immediately around that ligament specifically.
    xagh41kp5mkd.png

Maybe my hips just extra crazy tight nowadays from being sedentary and perma-quarantined, maybe?

Yea if you've been super sedentary and suddenly got up and took a long walk, those muscles are probably just not used to it at this point. Work on doing some light stretching, and maybe some shorter walks tomorrow and the day after.

edited October 2020
    When I first started a new exercise program a year or two back it involved a lot of movements I had never done before. After the first week my inner hip adductors were so sore I had to be careful about how I walked or I'd lock up in pain. Best thing for it I found (and muscle soreness in general) is time and movement/stretching. Also massaging the area can help temporarily alleviate some of the discomfort.

As for the cause, sitting can create a lot of hip and lower back tightness. You probably just shocked your body a bit.

Juggernut on
    edited October 2020
    I need to try yoga again I think. Recently I'm so stiff when I wake up every day that I'm hobbling around my room like an old man when I first get out of bed. That's probably not supposed to happen.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    I need to try yoga again I think. Recently I'm so stiff when I wake up every day that I'm hobbling around my room like an old man when I first get out of bed. That's probably not supposed to happen.

Well not unless you've cleared 60 or so, which I don't think you have?

Did you typo when you tried to type 30, or are you just completely, totally, and absolutely wrong???

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My friend took me to my first dirt trail. He has a legit $200+ mountain bike. I was in a $700 hybrid (Fuji Transverse) that I used for city commute.

It was exhilarating but I think my bike needs a counselor for PTSD. I had to stop and walk many times.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.