As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

SolarSolar Registered User regular
I did it and now I feel great

Anyway tell us about your life as a $25 an hour intern in NYC forum, I know that's how you're all living

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    That's barely over my hourly plus I get my monthly VA disability which more than covers my rent, and I live in Seattle instead of NYC, but that's where the similarities end.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    wsjoriginal.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    #blessed

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    That's barely over my hourly plus I get my monthly VA disability which more than covers my rent, and I live in Seattle instead of NYC, but that's where the similarities end.

And think about it

You actually have to do some work

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Avocado toast isn't even expensive you weird old people

• Options
    Avocados are not that cheap here but not unreasonably expensive. I have them quite a lot mind, usually in salads.

• Options
    single mom making 260,000 united stated dollars

most single moms making 1/10th of that with 60 hour work weeks and 3 jobs

I still have no idea where they pulled those numbers

This infuriates me more than the mcdonalds "just die already" budget thing

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »

I mean, it's the Wall Street Journal. Capitalist Pigs one and all.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Avocado toast isn't even expensive you weird old people

the justification was "millennials spend all their money on phones and avocado toast" in that they were thinking this totaled some like $2000 a month expense as to why we couldn't just save up 20% of a 1.25 million dollar house for a down payment like they saved up 20% of a 25,000 house.

They think the ratios have stayed roughly similar for the past 40 years. Not that people are making a bit less than they did. That's not even accounting for the wildly exponential increase for things like college and houses. Straight up dollar for dollar most people make less now than the people who had those jobs in the 60s/70s/80s/90s.

bowen on
  • Options
    Imagine trying to save $250,000 on $7.25/hr versus saving $5,000 at $1.60/hr

~3,125 hours vs 34,482

Most people earned something like $2-3 an hour back in the 60s (factory workers).

And that's just the down payment on a house. Saving that up over 5 years? Easy. Most people didn't even need to do that.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Avocado toast is the new starbucks coffee

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I just can't even deal with those types of articles anymore. I'm already reminded every day of how I'm basically surviving paycheck to paycheck with no hope for advancement and what little sanity I have left has been worn down to a nub. Fuck this capitalist hellscape with a rusty spork.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

And think about it

And had to go to war!

• Options
    I see those articles and immediately go to "wonder how amazingly out of touch this person just revealed themselves to be" and it never fails

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I'm trying!!! Well, trying to look for work, but suddenly being interested in an even more niche career than I already have doesn't help

But I'm having fun with the return to French class and taking that digital design course, and I'm very excited for the interior design one I'm starting next week!

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Imagine trying to save $250,000 on $7.25/hr versus saving $5,000 at $1.60/hr

~3,125 hours vs 34,482

Most people earned something like $2-3 an hour back in the 60s (factory workers).

And that's just the down payment on a house. Saving that up over 5 years? Easy. Most people didn't even need to do that.

And by the time you've saved up that down payment, SURPRISE! The costs have gone up and up and up and you're still short!

Steam
  • Options

And think about it

And had to go to war!

That's just retail.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

And think about it

And had to go to war!

That's just retail.

Oh sure, war is retail: the currency is high-velocity bullets, and they're trying to buy your and your buddy's entrails.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

I love how concerned the single mother's facial expression is. "I ONLY get $260k per year, HOW will I ever make ends meet?!"

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I see those articles and immediately go to "wonder how amazingly out of touch this person just revealed themselves to be" and it never fails

See, that's your mistake: the articles aren't written for you.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

Turns out the Universal New Yorker Cartoon Caption is even more broadly applicable.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Our combined income puts us solidly in the top 10% and without even adjusting for inflation we still don't rank on that chart.

Fucking yes raise taxes. Raise them by a lot.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Company I applied to way back in March and was 3 interviews through, just reached out to do the 4th interview.

The language was interesting, no mention of the 6 month gap. Maybe this is normal with Covid?

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Quitting my job is a goal, for sure

But there's no safety net in the USA and I don't have enough savings to miss one pay check without being literally on street

I missed two paychecks two years ago and I'm still fucked from it

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's so expensive to be poor.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I finally got it scheduled to go into work today. Only for 3 hours, since I still had to handle my kid's school drop off and pick up ( other kid is home with dad alone today).
    I get a call as I'm walking in that the lab is closed due to a lab member coming down with covid symptoms. To reopen if they get a negative test, or for 3? days if positive.
    I still got things done in the office, and took care of things outside the lab. But I guess I shouldn't worry about coming in the rest of the week.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’m taking a personal day Friday. I’ve done it before so had to figure out how.

I figured I’d get one out of the way before we get students back in the building for the newest shitshow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I get to quit my job in four years.

I think I'm going to practice at the roller rink just so I can literally skate out.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I've been saying this for 8 years now but I really want to take a personal month
    or several.

I'll settle for a long weekend, gotta make that happen come october.

• Options
    In terms of qutting, in all seriousness

I know that I am lucky that I am in a position where I can just quit my job. Not that I have any savings or anything, like I can't survive a month without a paycheck, but I also am confident that I can find something within the next 6-7 weeks and I have no dependents that are relying on me. It's a risk, but it's a risk to me alone and ultimately I have my apartment which I could sell up and have some money left over after paying off the mortgage if heaven forbid it all does fall through. Even if I ended up doing something really low paid I could keep the bills ticked off and just live low to the ground until I find something a bit better. So yeah. I am really fortunate, and I am aware of that.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I'm slowly coming to terms with the reality I will just drop dead at work one day. The big floor sweeper zamboni thing driven by the serial killer lookin guy who never says anything, just stares, will slowly drive over the top of me for maximum comedic effect and vacuum me up.

So will end the story of Old Juggernut. Some new and bewildered kid will be led out and handed a wrench and he will take my place. Hitting and being hit by machines until he, too, falls down dead one day. The cycle, unending, unbroken until the last fires of the sun flicker and go out.

• Options
    Jugs aren't you like

You're full of the spring of life!

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I've been saying this for 8 years now but I really want to take a personal month
    or several.

My problem is that with quarantine and being a respectable kind of person, there's nowhere to go, and nothing to do when you get there.
    Why pay to stay in a hotel for an extra $100+/night just to watch tv, when you can do that at home for free.

I think this complete unability for myself to relax and get away is what's killing me. No vacations or meaningful time off to blow off steam.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Jugs aren't you like

You're full of the spring of life!

Apparently in the sense that spring thaws can show the corpses of those that died in winter

Juggs is the oldest young professional I know

Orca on
  • Options
    tynic wrote: »
    or several.

Yes.

I've identified some places within a couple hours drive of where I currently live that I could buy like, 30-40 acres of land with no development to speak off in the vicinity for like, $60-$80K. I could have my own little get away spot.

Like, a few years of saving so the down payment doesn't deplete my savings unacceptably and I could do that. If I hadn't needed to buy a car because my Pontiac was dying then I could have done it now. The problem is then that it's an empty plot of land that at best has electricity running to the edge of the property line, I'd still need to somehow get power and internet out to some as-yet unbuilt structure and drill a well.

So close. Yet so far.

Steam
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm slowly coming to terms with the reality I will just drop dead at work one day. The big floor sweeper zamboni thing driven by the serial killer lookin guy who never says anything, just stares, will slowly drive over the top of me for maximum comedic effect and vacuum me up.

So will end the story of Old Juggernut. Some new and bewildered kid will be led out and handed a wrench and he will take my place. Hitting and being hit by machines until he, too, falls down dead one day. The cycle, unending, unbroken until the last fires of the sun flicker and go out.

Nah, you'll be replaced by a robot long before then.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I wish I could, like, enjoy the few months off work I've gotten as a result of being laid off.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I've been assigned to a "Twitter chat" for the census committee, which is apparently just a hashtag that everyone uses during a specified hour. Right now it appears to be a bunch of nonprofit accounts trying to act like Brand Twitter, but being much worse at it than actual brands. Depressing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I wish I could, like, enjoy the few months off work I've gotten as a result of being laid off.

Yeah having enforced time off due to unemployment is NOT the same, cause it's way stressful. You need to know you've got a solid financial footing going forward before you can actually relax vis a vis taking a break

tynic on
This discussion has been closed.