As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I've been saying this for 8 years now but I really want to take a personal month
    or several.

I'll settle for a long weekend, gotta make that happen come october.

I'm 100% doing this when I retire. I have no intention of going back to government work directly and there's a six month long break in between leaving the military and contracting. There will be at least one month spent at our family campsite with no phone.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I'm slowly coming to terms with the reality I will just drop dead at work one day. The big floor sweeper zamboni thing driven by the serial killer lookin guy who never says anything, just stares, will slowly drive over the top of me for maximum comedic effect and vacuum me up.

So will end the story of Old Juggernut. Some new and bewildered kid will be led out and handed a wrench and he will take my place. Hitting and being hit by machines until he, too, falls down dead one day. The cycle, unending, unbroken until the last fires of the sun flicker and go out.

Nah, you'll be replaced by a robot long before then.
    I'm slowly coming to terms with the reality I will just drop dead at work one day. The big floor sweeper zamboni thing driven by the serial killer lookin guy who never says anything, just stares, will slowly drive over the top of me for maximum comedic effect and vacuum me up.

So will end the story of Old Juggernut. Some new and bewildered kid will be led out and handed a wrench and he will take my place. Hitting and being hit by machines until he, too, falls down dead one day. The cycle, unending, unbroken until the last fires of the sun flicker and go out.

Same, with the way things are breaking down, I will basically work until I'm forcibly let go due to "reorganization" and probably die soon after due to lack of resources available for people like me. The fact my retirement savings can potentially evaporate due to "fluctuations" in the market basically ensures I'm fucked no matter how hard I try.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I seriously need to take a good long look at changing careers/industries for a huge number of reasons once things settle down from the pandemic.

Between ethical concerns and stress and a whole lot of other things I don’t think I can do this much longer.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Woops, did that thing that causes the bookmark bug.

#blessed

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am slowly reforming my space back into a library. It is taking some time.

Good news, should be able to just leave my dumb green screen recording area set up.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    And even if you have solid financial footing, there's always that concern of getting a job again once you're done! Ugh.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I've been saying this for 8 years now but I really want to take a personal month
    or several.

I want to take off like... 2-3 years and hike the Appalachian trail. Not like, to power through it like most hikers who attempt it, but just to be in nature and occasionally go into town to shower and get hot food.

I'm just so tired of coming in every day and doing nothing but annoyingly exhausting work and I want to just... be?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular

Goddammit yeah I know just let me have this like, one fuckin moment of romanticism in my life.

• Options
    FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I also bugged myself in my excitement to bookmark the new jorb thread. One day I will learn some self control.

Not today though, cause I spent half the day watching TV instead of working. My lack of discipline during WFH means I’m building up a bit of a guilt-ridden backlog of boring tasks.

One day I’ll get my shit together and just do it all. One day.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    single mom making 260,000 united stated dollars

most single moms making 1/10th of that with 60 hour work weeks and 3 jobs

I still have no idea where they pulled those numbers

This infuriates me more than the mcdonalds "just die already" budget thing

What is really grinding my gears are those illustrations with everyone looking so pathetic and sad

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hey, I just hit the angry patron hat trick! 1. His taxes pay my wages, so I don't get to enforce the rules of conduct. 2. The coronavirus is a liberal hoax. 3. He got stabbed (you don't say) so he doesn't have to wear a mask.

Bonus: after he left, we noticed that he'd written "Rev. 13:17" on the computer desk in sharpie. "...so that they could not buy or sell unless they had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of its name." We had a lively debate about whether he was referring to face masks or library card numbers, and decided it was probably a mask thing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    where do you get stabbed that stops you wearing a mask

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I guess if you got no ears

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I guess it's technically possible to have an ear stabbed off, but even then I imagine one of those plastic hook things would still work.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    where do you get stabbed that stops you wearing a mask

I can think of a few places that'd make a mask moot, at least.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I have had to listen to a crew cut up a concrete floor 15 feet away from me for the past 10 hours.

Even with earplugs, the sound and vibrations have made focusing on anything impossible all day.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Got an email from admin with half the chain of commas CC’d on it.

“Chief this email is to let you know it’s come to my attention that your sailor transferring today has not sent in his transfer paperwork we asked him for. We need you to get that to us ASAP.”

“Hello YN1 I’ve forwarded you the completed paperwork he sent you a month ago when you asked him to. Please get a hold of me ASAP so we can get to the bottom of this.”

Not surprisingly, they have not gotten back to me ASAP and are probably regretting just how many people can see that email chain.

It won’t have helped that I’ve already called one of their subordinates trying to figure out WTF and they said “Oh yeah I remember we totally got that. I don’t know why YN1 said we didn’t.”

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    or several.

I'm 100% doing this when I retire. I have no intention of going back to government work directly and there's a six month long break in between leaving the military and contracting. There will be at least one month spent at our family campsite with no phone.

Quid, 4 years, 3 weeks, 2 days, 7 hours and exactly 1 month from now: "WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK, WORLD?"

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular

“Chief this email is to let you know it’s come to my attention that your sailor transferring today has not sent in his transfer paperwork we asked him for. We need you to get that to us ASAP.”

“Hello YN1 I’ve forwarded you the completed paperwork he sent you a month ago when you asked him to. Please get a hold of me ASAP so we can get to the bottom of this.”

Not surprisingly, they have not gotten back to me ASAP and are probably regretting just how many people can see that email chain.

It won’t have helped that I’ve already called one of their subordinates trying to figure out WTF and they said “Oh yeah I remember we totally got that. I don’t know why YN1 said we didn’t.”

It's amazing how often supervisors try to pull that stuff. That particular move seems to not be dependent on whether or not you're in the armed forces.

I will also note that this is a move that almost disqualifies you from being a good manager.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stopgap wrote: »

It's amazing how often supervisors try to pull that stuff. That particular move seems to not be dependent on whether or not you're in the armed forces.

I will also note that this is a move that almost disqualifies you from being a good manager.

While I'm not their supervisor I do outrank them and they proceeded to include their boss, his boss, and the officer who supervises me. That genie isn't going back in the bottle.

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    The MOAB of "per my last email..." replies right there.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Me: Looks up what YN1 is.

Nods sagely.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Me: Looks up what YN1 is.

Nods sagely.

They're arguably not even the most bureaucratic rate we have.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Flu jab GET!

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    Flu jab GET!

Eh, and what kinda jab is that? Or is it more like a jorb?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Just got a text, as of like 5 minutes ago, our Strike is over! I'm back at work tomorrow. No details from the union on what the new contract contains, or if it contains strike pay, but I'm hopeful!

• Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    single mom making 260,000 united stated dollars

most single moms making 1/10th of that with 60 hour work weeks and 3 jobs

I still have no idea where they pulled those numbers

This infuriates me more than the mcdonalds "just die already" budget thing

I love how concerned the single mother's facial expression is. "I ONLY get $260k per year, HOW will I ever make ends meet?!"

There's yet another thing bothering me about this. Sure, that poor single mother is looking haggard on her $260k per year. But it says that $35k of that is investment income. So that means she's got a round about half a mil invested in equities or bonds or a business or whatever.

So I guess people might (understandably) roll their eyes and say "Gee I wish I could see an income north of $100k a year!", but really they should roll their eyes and say "Gee I wish I could see an income north of $100k a year and also have a lazy $500k sitting in the stock market paying me dividends."

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    But her taxes might go up by over 1% of her income! That poor family

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Are you really a single mom if you got money for an army of nannys?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Are you really a single mom if you got money for an army of nannys?

Are you really a single mom if the only way you're pulling in that amount of cash is by selling your kids?

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Just got called by helpdesk of some of the software I use and just as I go and open a new file the whole application crashes. Then it does so again two times. Until I give up and try to locate the file through Explorer. Turns out the file was moved and when the application tries to reach it, it just goes APPCRASH.

Weirdly the guy working for the company making that software didn't even make any audible noises when it happened and when I figured out why. Guess it's par for the course for them?

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Just got called by helpdesk of some of the software I use and just as I go and open a new file the whole application crashes. Then it does so again two times. Until I give up and try to locate the file through Explorer. Turns out the file was moved and when the application tries to reach it, it just goes APPCRASH.

Weirdly the guy working for the company making that software didn't even make any audible noises when it happened and when I figured out why. Guess it's par for the course for them?

working as intended

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    There's 3 distinct climates in my building right now and have been for over a week.

1) East side has Early summer: it gets just a bit warm but is otherwise fine.
    2) West side has Early Fall: it's a little chilly, but not quite chilly enough to warrant an actual jacket.
    3) Middle has FUCKING WINTER. Wear a jacket and maybe a hat too.

Outside it's really quite nice except for all the damn smoke.

My office is in the winter zone. It's awful. I've hit the point where I'm in my office as little as possible. Unfortunately my asthma is triggered by sharp temperature shifts and hoo boy moving around the building sucks.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    The year 12s are almost finished.

I will miss some of them.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    One tried to buy me a present.

I told them the to buy the 5th Ed handbook and donate it to the library.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The eye exam one actually got a chuckle out of me

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That interview went well. Now a series of follow up interviews scattered across time because there's less incentive to pack it all into a day when it's not in person.

Either way, sounds great

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    From a meeting this morning:

Senior enlisted: “Hey did you send a transfer package for this person to admin?”

Officer “Yeah I’ve got the email for early September. Why?”

Senior enlisted: “Nothing. They aren’t transferring any time soon just making sure since we still haven’t seen it. Could you please forward it to these people as well?”

Someone’s gonna get it.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Well an epilogue to the strike. As of now they aren't releasing full details on the contract, but what they have released is not wonderful. $0 in strike pay, so the last 10 days are unpaid. A 1% raise in year 2 of our contract, and they got us 2% right now. 2% isn't even enough to keep up with inflation per year most years (it was in 2019 but not usually). Also the things I was striking for, our service workers need proper PPE and needed to be given a raise to Chicago minimum wage, but apparently that was decided on day 3 and the last 7 were for pay raises that we didn't really get all of. So thats fun!

This discussion has been closed.