As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I’d have been a lot more apprehensive about this a year ago.

But putting the entire Halo series, Gears 5 and Gears Tactics on Steam with top notch ports, Xbox Gamepass on PC and Ori 1 and 2 on Switch, not to mention letting Sony keep the timed exclusivity of Tokyo Ghostwire and Deathloop, all I can say is I’m happy that Microsoft bought them and not, say, Facebook. They’re being very pro-consumer these days.

Also with how supportive of Steam they’ve been, hopefully they patch out the Bethesda launcher from everything.

The Bethesda launcher is mostly redundant because every PC already has the MS Store installed and the xbox app is a click away. I'm not sure they will bother fixing up older titles, but its not going to be used much going forward.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I just love that the most vulnerable part of the human body, the abdomen, with no bone and several vital organs, is exposed.

Gotta show dem abbs

When worn correctly most modern plate based body armor only covers your chest/upper torso (heart+lungs). Doomguy is wearing a green shirt, it's just ripped.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    august wrote: »
    I really wish they had picked any other color than green for Master Chief. Those were Doomguy's colors!

Look... they're both... army guys? So there you go.
    Well, marines.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    This is the quintessential Doomguy image for me.

Doom_front_cover.jpg

Wait. I never noticed the second doom guy at the back running at him with "wait for me!" body language.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Ohh yeah!

Finally beat the game on Nightmare. The 2nd phase of the Icon of Sin was crazy.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    It's not the best fight, but it actually does a pretty decent job of modernizing the original Icon of Sin fight: tons of verticality while dealing with heaps of enemies.

I love the fact that they do shit like that. You aren't missing anything if you didn't play DOOM II, but it's a great little nod if you did.

• Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

Doom_front_cover.jpg

Wait. I never noticed the second doom guy at the back running at him with "wait for me!" body language.

That’s mood guy, he’s much more emotional than his compatriot.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

Doom_front_cover.jpg

That’s mood guy, he’s much more emotional than his compatriot.

That....that was pretty good.

rq7ippnx246z.jpg

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2020

If they could get Trent Reznor doing the sounds/music again...hoo boy.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Unsurprisingly given the time periods involved, but Doom (2016) actually reminds me a lot more of the first Quake, and the Quake franchise in general, than either Doom or Doom II. Or for that matter, Doom 3 (which some people would consider a good thing).

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Unsurprisingly given the time periods involved, but Doom (2016) actually reminds me a lot more of the first Quake, and the Quake franchise in general, than either Doom or Doom II. Or for that matter, Doom 3 (which some people would consider a good thing).

Given Quake’s original aspirations for melee combat (I seem to recall a lightning bolt warhammer being an early castoff) it could be very interesting to see what they try to do in a post DOOM 2016 pedigree.

Just, keep the weird mechanical traps, wind tunnels, jump pads and nightmare architecture. Like David Lynch’s MC Escher’s Dark Souls In Space.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »

If they could get Trent Reznor doing the sounds/music again...hoo boy.

speaking of that, the Quake Remastered OST vinyls are finally in stock on the NIN store: https://store.nin.com/collections/music/products/quake-vinyl
    These things first got shown off about two years ago, finally released earlier this month.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    DOOM '16 pulled a lot from Quake, in both mechanics and general philosophy. It does make me curious as to what a Quake reboot would do to differentiate itself other than grungy techno-lovecraftian time travel flavor, but I'd love for them to give it a serious try.

BloodySloth on
    Cyber Hook AND Serious Sam 4 live today! Both on GOG too (Cyber Hook is cheaper on GOG as well) AND I got access to the Prodeus play test. It's a good day today.

Damn, Prodeus is pretty fuckin' great. Going to have to try out community maps and the editor.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

Doom_front_cover.jpg

Doom gal.

I mean, I can't back that up with certainty, but in my head canon that's Arlene Sanders from the novel who is absolutely exasperated with all of this bullshit.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I still want to see Crash get brought into the 2016 canon.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Looked cool until...

NO GAME IS INCLUDED WITH THIS BUNDLE!

Yeah, I know we all have the games, but this is still kind of a weird choice. Would have been cool if they put them on some usb drives that look like floppies or something.

Steam: offday
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Looked cool until...

NO GAME IS INCLUDED WITH THIS BUNDLE!

Yeah, I know we all have the games, but this is still kind of a weird choice. Would have been cool if they put them on some usb drives that look like floppies or something.

They are releasing the game too in an N64 box with a fake cartridge and everything, its just separate.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Didn’t see it mentioned here - Doom on Switch just got its first total conversion in the addons - REKKR.

• Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Just FYI the shipping for that helmet was like $30 for me. My friend in Canada didn't bother ordering it because it was $65 for him.

Also it's still in stock as are some pins and a shirt. The different versions of the games you don't really have to worry about as they are timed exclusives, meaning they are available for a set time and then they make however many orders they get.

https://limitedrungames.com/

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
    https://youtu.be/uo0qp3pYbaI

Here's some quick gameplay footage of the Prodeus closed beta I made today. Notes:

-I tend to play twitchy, just a warning if you can get motion sickness
    -I am sprinting the entire time (can be toggled like "Always Run"). Non-running speed is slower than shown here.
    -This is played on the hardest difficulty (I'm not sure what the difficulty changes do yet)
    -I'm using the default HUD. The HUD can be adjusted, made smaller, etc.
    -Checkpoints are places where you can respawn if you die without restarting the whole map again. I chose not to respawn in this footage.
    -The secondary on the fists is punching with your right hand. Pressing both primary attack and secondary attack allow you to flail like a madman, it's great
    -I sometimes reload before a whole clip is empty. It's just a habit!

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    DOOM '16 pulled a lot from Quake, in both mechanics and general philosophy. It does make me curious as to what a Quake reboot would do to differentiate itself other than grungy techno-lovecraftian time travel flavor, but I'd love for them to give it a serious try.

Quake strikes me as more sterile and dirtier than Doom, aesthetically. Doom’s all military/space station/mars/fire/hell. Quake is a lot more about castles, brutalist architecture that feels impossibly ancient, rotting wood, and some dingy human outposts of scrap metal.

In a new Quake it wouldn’t surprise me if it was significantly heavier on overt puzzles with floating platforms, pressure plays, areas flooding with lava from a button press, and things like rooms that may rotate on multiple axes as you interact with mechanisms or shoot special spots on walls. I don’t know if the much-vaunted manteling mechanic would be brought over from Doom, and I don’t know if Quake should have the enemy count Doom is more famous for.

For that matter I’m uncertain about Doom’s runes having a Quake counterpart, but I suppose given Quake’s original macguffins needed to reach the fifth area they’d do...something with that.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/uo0qp3pYbaI

Here's some quick gameplay footage of the Prodeus closed beta I made today. Notes:

-I tend to play twitchy, just a warning if you can get motion sickness
    -I am sprinting the entire time (can be toggled like "Always Run"). Non-running speed is slower than shown here.
    -This is played on the hardest difficulty (I'm not sure what the difficulty changes do yet)
    -I'm using the default HUD. The HUD can be adjusted, made smaller, etc.
    -Checkpoints are places where you can respawn if you die without restarting the whole map again. I chose not to respawn in this footage.
    -The secondary on the fists is punching with your right hand. Pressing both primary attack and secondary attack allow you to flail like a madman, it's great
    -I sometimes reload before a whole clip is empty. It's just a habit!

yeah this looks alright
    the blood splatter is kinda a turnoff and those enemy designs don't do it for me but the rest looks good. LOVE the viewmodels, the fists and SMGs are great

Quake strikes me as more sterile and dirtier than Doom, aesthetically. Doom’s all military/space station/mars/fire/hell. Quake is a lot more about castles, brutalist architecture that feels impossibly ancient, rotting wood, and some dingy human outposts of scrap metal.

In a new Quake it wouldn’t surprise me if it was significantly heavier on overt puzzles with floating platforms, pressure plays, areas flooding with lava from a button press, and things like rooms that may rotate on multiple axes as you interact with mechanisms or shoot special spots on walls. I don’t know if the much-vaunted manteling mechanic would be brought over from Doom, and I don’t know if Quake should have the enemy count Doom is more famous for.

For that matter I’m uncertain about Doom’s runes having a Quake counterpart, but I suppose given Quake’s original macguffins needed to reach the fifth area they’d do...something with that.

Yes but you'd be able to rocket jump.

Or it isn't Quake.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular

Yes but you'd be able to rocket jump.

Or it isn't Quake.

I think it'd actually be more interesting if they ended up taking the complete opposite approach to enemies/combat as they have in Doom. Instead of just swarming you with enemies, focus on fewer, smarter enemies and encounters that are few and far between. Have them almost act as mini-bosses with each encounter, where you have to use what you've learned about the secret traps and puzzles of the level to defeat them, with each level culminating in a final larger boss. Seems like this kind of approach could both help to differentiate it from Doom, while also putting the focus on the setting and levels themselves. They could even go full Shadow of the Colossus and make the enemies nothing but individual bosses you only encounter once.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited September 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nTl5ySy78

Civvie does Heretic.

I played through it again recently and, likely due to not playing it on that ballbusting Black Plague difficulty, enjoyed the first three episodes more than he does. (Genuinely felt they were too easy, ammo is plentiful and the ability to bank powerups for later is incredibly powerful) He is absolutely right about the two expansion episodes though; they start off brutally, uncompromisingly hard. (Especially the beginning of Episode 4), and they make a game an extended slog. A single expansion episode like in Doom might have been more appropriate.

Shame we never got a true FPS sequel to Heretic. (Just an fps-RPG psuedo sequels with the Hexen series, and then a third person action-adventure game with Heretic 2). I would have liked to see something like Doom 2 with new weapons and enemies.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I love Heretic. Part of it is definitely the atmosphere. Like, as weird as the underwater city was, the music was gloomy and looking into the skybox and seeing that big dome was oppressive, in a good way

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    God, ULTRAKILL is the level of dumb silly awesome over the top bullshit I can use right now.

I love that for the imp-equivalent enemies, you can run up and punch the fireballs they’re shooting at you to parry them and swat them back at the enemy harder.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    It's Flynn Taggart in the books, John Grimm in the first movie, Joan Dark in the second movie, and he's the descendant of Billy Blaze in the original game.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    OMG that outfit. <3

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    Here's a play-through of the very first FPS level I've ever created! Worked on it for more than 60 hours. I had Aztec/Egyptian from Goldeneye and Quake1 on my mind when making it. It's got a "monsters taking over ancient buildings" motif. It was really awesome to finally learn how to build a FPS level, especially in an editor that is fairly intuitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igj3kg8F1MY&amp;feature=youtu.be

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Here's a play-through of the very first FPS level I've ever created! Worked on it for more than 60 hours. I had Aztec/Egyptian from Goldeneye and Quake1 on my mind when making it. It's got a "monsters taking over ancient buildings" motif. It was really awesome to finally learn how to build a FPS level, especially in an editor that is fairly intuitive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Igj3kg8F1MY&amp;feature=youtu.be

This gives me Quake 1 bsp vibes in the best way. That's fantastic for your first map.

The only thing I'd really suggest you tweak (on your next map, it would require redoing quite a bit of geometry on this one) is making your staircases a little less steep, unless they're intended to represent ladders. (For reference, real-world staircases are usually roughly 35-40 degrees.)

uH3IcEi.png
    I thought it was really good, my only thing would be some of the areas where you have to go into a building and then go up to another part of the building are a bit tight space wise. Could be easy to get super lost if you don't know the level by accidentally missing where you gotta go.

You went up stairs in a couple of places that I didn't even notice until you were going up them.