As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] Game is out and it's real good!!!

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'm hoping I can snag Icebourne for my birthday, especially since my PSU RMA should be finished soon.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Man, these load times and FPS are amazing though.

Don't think I can go back now. This is top shelf shit.

I can actually go through my room, gathering hub and training area so much damn faster.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Yeah, the load times are near instant on PC if you run it on an SSD. Don't forget to install the high-res texture pack too.

• EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I sure hope Rise isnt just another farm the same 4 elder dragons for endgame as everything else.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    All things considered, Iceborne's endgame was not too bad. We had plenty of interesting content to tackle. I think the MR rank grind to get to MR 100 was a bit much, but it also wasnt the worst either.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    One thing I just noticed with MHW is that the HDR is really solid. I noticed this because I had HDR off on my monitor for Subnautica, and the game loaded up and felt kind of dull and washed out.

• ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    I actually just started a fresh character on MHW because I'm.. stupid? I think I'm stupid?

Like I could actually progress on my main character (tapped out around MR 85 cause I just kinda hated the guiding lands), but instead I decided to start fresh and see what going through the base game and main story again feels like now that I mostly know what I'm doing.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
    edited September 2020
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I sure hope Rise isnt just another farm the same 4 elder dragons for endgame as everything else.
    Is that Iceborne's endgame too?

Thats kind of what burnt me out on the game originally. Needs more of the roster involved to keep things fresh.

Dr. Chaos on
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    I actually just started a fresh character on MHW because I'm.. stupid? I think I'm stupid?

Like I could actually progress on my main character (tapped out around MR 85 cause I just kinda hated the guiding lands), but instead I decided to start fresh and see what going through the base game and main story again feels like now that I mostly know what I'm doing.

I’ve been considering the same thing, you’re not stupid. I really enjoyed the MR portion, but HR felt exhausting and now my gear makes MR too easy.
    Looking forward to Rise now at least!

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Thats kind of what burnt me out on the game originally. Needs more of the roster involved to keep things fresh.

After that and 4U, I have to come to the conclusion that the main Monster Hunter team just sucks at creating endgames that aren't grinding a few monsters over and over for random drops that have nothing to do with them.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

Well, there are about 17 more monsters and variants post-story to grind. So, it's a bit more than the same 5-6 elders from base game.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Well, there are about 17 more monsters and variants post-story to grind. So, it's a bit more than the same 5-6 elders from base game.
    Hey, works for me.

You really can't miss fighting Raging Brachydios, it's possibly my favorite in Iceborne.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Lance, Hammer, LBG confirmed from the TGS stream today, I think just HH and HBG are still semi-unconfirmed. They also showed a bit more detail of the map, palamute traversal, and wirebug weapon arts (lance, hammer, sns, gunlance, long sword, great sword, LBG)

Rise gameplay on stream tomorrow around 8 AM EST

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Lance, Hammer, LBG confirmed from the TGS stream today, I think just HH and HBG are still semi-unconfirmed. They also showed a bit more detail of the map, palamute traversal, and wirebug weapon arts (lance, hammer, sns, gunlance, long sword, great sword, LBG)

I can't imagine any weapons not returning though. A new weapon is the real question (unlikely but a welcome surprise imo)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

I can't imagine any weapons not returning though. A new weapon is the real question (unlikely but a welcome surprise imo)

Yeah I understand they caught hell for that in the past.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Yeah, I don't doubt that we keep the current 14 weapons with world's moveset adjustments + wirebug additions. A new weapon would be cool though (give us the damn tonfas from frontier g), or bringing back playable palicos (maybe even playable palamutes?)

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Playable palicos if love to see again, with some refinement of the systems. They were a very cool thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6TzQ3WxxVQ

Updated trailer with new TGS content. All the new stuff is post the Magnamalo reveal (1:37)

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Playable palicos if love to see again, with some refinement of the systems. They were a very cool thing.

Especially for gathering.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Bunbujina secret final boss, calling it now.

Edit:
    Like seriously that looks so freaky and out of place in that otherwise pristine trailer. It must be something important!

eMoander on
    Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    Apparently one of the new monsters might be based on a pelican spider.

I had no what a pelican spider was, googled it, and now I want to burn the earth.

• DacDac Registered User regular
    I just want Prowlers , is that too much to ask.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i'm not sure how enthusiastic i am about folding GS...

but i'm super hype for a new MonHun on Switch.

https://youtu.be/vzMj6q0CebY

Looking really good.

So, item restocks are in. Not only am I going to wait for other people's word on getting this now, I'm going to have to put effort into figuring out which reviews I need to ignore.

I guess at least we're also getting Stories 2.

You could always just not use the item restock feature at camp, if it bothers you?

jothki wrote: »
    So, item restocks are in. Not only am I going to wait for other people's word on getting this now, I'm going to have to put effort into figuring out which reviews I need to ignore.

I guess at least we're also getting Stories 2.

I am genuinely confused why item restocks (World style, yeah) are an issue.

You could always just not use the item restock feature at camp, if it bothers you?

It makes it so that monsters need to be balanced around the assumption that players have infinite access to healing. Battles of attrition are no longer possible, so the only way to create difficulty is through massive damage spikes.

edited September 2020
    I have very rarely needed to restock in World, except for very few fights and mostly because I'm playing terribly.

Edit:

Full 40 minute gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_6Dq84dFg

Satsumomo on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    The argument I've heard from the fervently anti item restock crowd is that it simultaneously makes the game too easy (because it removes the battle of attrition aspect if you have infinite health restoration items) and also encourages "cheap" encounter design (more one shot attacks on endgame monsters because players have effectively infinite health).

Personally I see that argument as rather flawed. First, it seems to assume that the difficulty of a fight is based on how many resources you have left when you complete a fight, and also that this is some kind of static number that never changes. Like, assuming you are limited to 10 max pots or whatever (let's ignore crafting for now just to get to this nice round number), a fight that takes all 10 of those pots is hard and rewarding, a battle of attrition! You just barely overcame the challenge with what you had on hand! And sure, that's true I guess, but will it always be true, every time? Monster Hunter isn't a game about fighting a monster one time and then moving on, it's a game of repeatedly taking on the same fights, over and over. As you become more familiar and more experienced in a matchup that 10 pot fight might become a 7 pot fight, then a 4 pot, then even a 1 or 0 pot fight when you truly master it. I don't think anyone would argue that the fight got less hard at this point, just that the player has improved.

So here restocking acts as a kind of individually scaling difficulty slider, where better players get faster hunts because they need less items, while newer or more casual players can kinda go at their own pace. It removes the floor, not the ceiling. Basically when people say "restocking makes the game easy cause you can just have infinite health" then all I can think is "yeah, but you still got hit though."

The second argument, that restocking fundamentally changes how encounters are designed by encouraging more HP sponges and "cheap" one shot moves, is more compelling but way more subjective. Like, I thought AT nerg and Lunastra was fun as hell, a constant dance where you have to read tells, carefully avoid overcommitting, and occasionally gamble with your life to go for a flinch/stagger, whereas Safi back to back nova'd my group in each of the first three times I fought him. So, uh, imo this is less "restocking incentivizes bad fight design" than "capcom occasionally makes broken fights when they include forced pushes/poorly scripted instant wipe mechs."

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    Im here to hunt monsters and hit lvl 3 GS charges

i dont even think i used the item restock in world/iceborne

J3qcnBP.png

It makes it so that monsters need to be balanced around the assumption that players have infinite access to healing. Battles of attrition are no longer possible, so the only way to create difficulty is through massive damage spikes.

I find this argument kind of funny, considering I got in through World and am now going through Gen U... and shit there hits so fucking hard, and I'm not even at G Rank yet. There's been plenty of hunts where I'm down to nearly no mega potions left (I don't bring honey, just 10 Potions/10 Mega/2 Max) and have used a Max or two. I'm at the point where I'm at 10* Village and 6* Hub, trying to start doing Hypers solo. My armor's been capped at upgrades requiring Hyper mats for a while now and the damage has been out scaling my defense before I even got to Hypers. I dropped Guild Hammer and switched to Striker Lance just so I could block (yeah I know, I could abuse Valor stuff) and survive a little better. A few hunts I even had to go find honey to craft some more Megas just to squeak through.

If anything, World's easier and when you start to grok the game outside of certain ammo for bowguns you don't need the restocks and can live without. The monster behavior is in general certainly way fairer I'd say, especially in terms of hitboxes and safe zones fighting them. Nothing feels like "We designed this so that you need all the healing in the world" except the super end game stuff, which I think is pretty much something you can say of Old and New World games except the option to restock only exists in the latter.

edited September 2020
    My concern isn't that you'll need to constantly restock. My concern is that since the game knows that you can constantly restock, forcing you to restock won't even be part of the balancing concerns. All that matters is how easily a monster can combo you from full to zero health, since missing and letting you survive with half health are essentially identical.

jothki on
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    My concern isn't that you'll need to constantly restock. My concern is that since the game knows that you can constantly restock, forcing you to restock won't even be part of the balancing concerns. All that matters is how easily a monster can combo you from full to zero health, since missing and letting you survive with half health are essentially identical.

so from a design perspective, the game devs will put more one shots in the game since they think players have infinite life?

i dont know how true this is

J3qcnBP.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Restocking is a significant time cost unless you're doing it after carting. It's fine.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I hardly ever restock and I suck at this game

I'm just now finishing up the Iceborne storyline so I mean take what I say with a grain of salt and all

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    i did the tempered jang quest and the inability to restock or eat pissed me right the fuck off

it was some bullshit

later i watched a video of a youtuber doing it and found out the supply chest had roughly 600 max poitions

Elendil on
    edited September 2020
    Anybody who was hoping "classic" MH would return is probably kidding themselves after World was probably the biggest success in the series.

Every game going forward is going to be taking big cues from that one.

Dr. Chaos on