As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Feelin' paranoid about getting fired at work for being late today... I let them know beforehand but still.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Well an epilogue to the strike. As of now they aren't releasing full details on the contract, but what they have released is not wonderful. $0 in strike pay, so the last 10 days are unpaid. A 1% raise in year 2 of our contract, and they got us 2% right now. 2% isn't even enough to keep up with inflation per year most years (it was in 2019 but not usually). Also the things I was striking for, our service workers need proper PPE and needed to be given a raise to Chicago minimum wage, but apparently that was decided on day 3 and the last 7 were for pay raises that we didn't really get all of. So thats fun!

:bro:

we need stronger unions

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    We've all been assigned a training on how to deal with customers hitting on you at work. Progress is slow because I keep clicking back to the first slide to laugh at the stock photo guy they came up with.

6x4vqs3kfa8o.png

Nailing it, dude. Confidence is attractive.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    we're several decades into quarantine and i finally broke through with at least one other manager that cloth masks are about community protection not protecting the wearer

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We just got a book in called "How to end the autism epidemic" and it's the anti-vaxxer nonsense you'd expect and before I throw it in a well I'm going to raise holy hell with our Collections department, how the actual fuck did this thing sneak through guys?

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Work. Blah. I am tired of my companies overly ambitious IT department that is constantly overstepping their bounds because they think they are the Messiah and can solve all our problems. Get the fuck back on your side and piss off.

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    Oh no. I think this is a trap. I think we're going to be asked to roleplay dealing with customers hitting on us in this afternoon's meeting. Now all my brain can do is come up with terrible library pickup lines.

"Hey, baby, are you free two weeks from today? Because I think I am due a date."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've all been assigned a training on how to deal with customers hitting on you at work. Progress is slow because I keep clicking back to the first slide to laugh at the stock photo guy they came up with.

6x4vqs3kfa8o.png

Nailing it, dude. Confidence is attractive.

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

• Options
    DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    Jedoc, please, PLEASE, use those corny library pickup lines. I mean, as long as you can do so with people who will not be offended and will take them as the joke you intend them to be, of course.

PSN: decatus90
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Decatus wrote: »
    Jedoc, please, PLEASE, use those corny library pickup lines. I mean, as long as you can do so with people who will not be offended and will take them as the joke you intend them to be, of course.

Are you on hold? Because I want to check you out.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    The jokes on them though. Library employees are too introverted to even think to use pick up lines.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    The jokes on them though. Library employees are too introverted to even think to use pick up lines.

Hey, I I'd like to research you... some esoteric knowledge. Please ask me about that book with the blue cover that might have been about a duck or maybe an airplane that you read when you were 4.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've all been assigned a training on how to deal with customers hitting on you at work.

how often have you had to deal with that

ballpark it obviously i'm sure it's a huge number
    <3

• Options
    Oh that says "hitting on" not "hitting".

I was trying to figure why they used that image and how we got into pickup lines.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    When I was in library school we made a top ten library pick-up lines t-shirt for a fundraiser for our student ALA chapter. I still have mine and it still makes me chuckle.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    If you're helping a coworker get something out of dark storage trailer, don't turn around, shine the flashlight in that coworkers eyes, and then throw the heavy blunt object at them, hitting them directly in the zyphoid process.

Fuck my ribs hurt.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    When I was in library school we made a top ten library pick-up lines t-shirt for a fundraiser for our student ALA chapter. I still have mine and it still makes me chuckle.

... and they are????

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Did your mom forget to turn in some books? Because you library fine.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Did your mom forget to turn in some books? Because you library fine.

Damn girl do you sort by a specified number? Because Dewy Damncimal

• Options
    Damn, gurl, you and me belong shelved in section 572.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    While there's an opportunity for humor, I feel asking employees to roleplay a sexual harassment encounter is just going to lead to more training sessions

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »

... and they are????

I don't remember them all, I'll get a picture of the shirt when I'm home.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    If anyone feels like making a gif, picture Michael B. Jordan as Erik Killmonger in the museum, eyeing up the stolen Wakandan artifact, but instead it's me, eyeing up the prospect of just quitting my job and throwing my life in a literal dumpster

Goddamn

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular

Biology?

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular

Biology?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xat1GVnl8-k

• Options

Biology?

Bio. Chemistry.

Or what @L Ron Howard said. :D

• Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    Got my flu jab Tuesday morning.

And by God my shoulder didn't like it! By early afternoon until I woke up the next morning any movement of the shoulder or elbow felt like... well you know when you smack thigh first into a perfect height table corner? And not the feeling of bruising after but the immediate few moments after impact.

Most unpleasant. It was somewhat better when I woke up but running jarred it somewhat.

Today it's mostly ok apart from certain movements twinge a bit.

Still, being asthmatic, it's better that than getting the flu. And it was free.

• Options
    Scooter wrote: »
    While there's an opportunity for humor, I feel asking employees to roleplay a sexual harassment encounter is just going to lead to more training sessions

Whew, false alarm. There was a lot of talk about making your employees roleplay as a training tool, but it did not come up as part of the discussion. So I didn't have to ask anyone "hey, baby, can I get a dinner date with you and a book on CD that's not irreparably scratched like ten discs in? Okay, so just dinner, then?"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    Job announced they're changing salaried employees to "flexible time off" in 2021, moving away from a seemingly traditional PTO accrual system.

Technically it means there won't be an upper limit on time off you can take in a year, the company line is that you could take as much as you want assuming your work is getting done/you get adequate coverage/your manager signs off on it but... I can't help but feel like it's intended to ultimately limit time off further. I wouldn't be surprised if middle management is told not to approve time off past certain amounts, regardless of whether or not work is getting done.

Oh also means you won't have PTO hours to pay out if you leave the job, so that blows either way.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Job announced they're changing salaried employees to "flexible time off" in 2021, moving away from a seemingly traditional PTO accrual system.

Technically it means there won't be an upper limit on time off you can take in a year, the company line is that you could take as much as you want assuming your work is getting done/you get adequate coverage/your manager signs off on it but... I can't help but feel like it's intended to ultimately limit time off further. I wouldn't be surprised if middle management is told not to approve time off past certain amounts, regardless of whether or not work is getting done.

Oh also means you won't have PTO hours to pay out if you leave the job, so that blows either way.

Time to load the ol' resume cannon.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options

DING DING DING!

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    'if you have any questions we'd be happy to partner with you on those'

I've had it with sales people and their screwy way of talking

• Options
    Almost always a trap yeah.
    I'd super distrust any flexible work arrangement that didn't have an in writing allowable minimum set that was at least what the previous PTO/Sick/Holiday accrual was.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Oh I got my flu shot Tuesday night because I went in for a medication refill and he was like, "We're doing flu shots, do you want a flu shot?" and I looked at him, narrowed my eyes, and was like, "What's the catch?" and he returned my suspicious look with an even suspiciouser look, and replied, "Would you like to know?"

I like my doctor.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I don't feel like I might randomly vomit from that blow to my ribs earlier anymore. I was having a really great Fridax at work, I got everything that had to be done by end of day finished by late morning, and was moving on to project work, when my coworker did a very stupid thing.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Are we doing finches for flu jabs again this year?

• Options
    Take as much time as you want sounds great for things where maybe there's a defined amount of stuff to always do, but if you do something like development on an understaffed team there's always more work you could be doing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Are we doing finches for flu jabs again this year?

We should.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

DING DING DING!

My job just changed the policy at the end of last year. No PTO payout for anyone, salaried or hourly, starting in 2020, for any PTO earned in 2020 and beyond.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Almost always a trap yeah.
    I'd super distrust any flexible work arrangement that didn't have an in writing allowable minimum set that was at least what the previous PTO/Sick/Holiday accrual was.

And a boss that will bully subordinates into taking a week off if they're unable to bring themselves to under the stupid flex time system. And bosses that will back that boss up when they do so.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.