As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STO] Old thread is old

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    I had forgotten just how little unique KDF content there actually is. It just sort of ends abruptly before you even get to level 20. Playing a romulan really spoiled me on unique content, I guess.

Still worth it just to bite someone so hard it vaporizes them.

• SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    They updated the Lower Decks duty officers to use art from the show instead of character creator facsimiles.

pft2doulcviv.png
    It's incongruous, sure, but Tendi's and Rutherford's smiling faces always cheer me up a bit while starting a new slew of assignments.

Sneaks on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Final part of the ship-or-lobi event starts the 8th, two weeks of To Hell With Honor (which is a blast of an event), event prize is a working miniature Elachi walker.

9fzb060q4eh6.png

Also starting this week and overlapping with it is a smaller red alert event for a max upgrade.

Overlapping events sounds like a great way to level my gorn tactical dude (Gornhammer, wears a top hat + Seven's 2399 outfit, likes to bite people and open up with his Thompson) who ended up in a Miradorn Theta Heavy Raider because I suddenly remembered my wife won a Picard bundle awhile back and doesn't play STO. Fun little ship but boy does 5/1 + experimental suck when you accidentally lose your firing arc.

edited September 2020
    Yeah, I'll be racking up some spec points on my old recruits (only recruit bonuses I'm still after are spec point ones). Double exp today through the 10th, red alerts today through the 10th with a 5 day grind event (for spec points and an ultimate upgrade I'm planning to use on the Red Angel armor), and then THWH starting on the 8th.

Hevach on
    https://imgur.com/a/mNwv1Ge

Dataminers dug up the Insight-class, the cookiecutter from the last episode of Picard. Files list is as a promo ship, which... already sounds kind of questionable since the ship isn't anachronistic, alien, or from outside of the normal timeline (as a 2399 ship it's less anachronistic than half the ships on the C-store). Want it to be even more questionable? It kitbashes with the Avenger and Arbiter, and its console completes a 3-piece set with theirs.

• MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    https://imgur.com/a/mNwv1Ge

Dataminers dug up the Insight-class, the cookiecutter from the last episode of Picard. Files list is as a promo ship, which... already sounds kind of questionable since the ship isn't anachronistic, alien, or from outside of the normal timeline (as a 2399 ship it's less anachronistic than half the ships on the C-store). Want it to be even more questionable? It kitbashes with the Avenger and Arbiter, and its console completes a 3-piece set with theirs.

Maybe it'll be part of a whole Picard box, with the 2385 uniforms and the new phasers and such.

edited September 2020
    Edit: They had the weekly thing on Twitch and confirmed that it'll be in the doff promo boxes during their next run.

Hevach on
    Literal copy paste ship in the extra special lockbox to that isn't an account unlock? That's...a bit much.

edited September 2020
    So, yeah, Inquiry-class is in the doff boxes. It's nice looking, and it's impressive that a canon ship could kitbash with a pre-existing non-canon one so cleanly. But, yeah, doff boxes.

b3x1lor2jy9u.png

Stat wise? Nothing interesting. Very similar to the Arbiter. Console is on a set with the other Fed battlecruisers (3 piece bonus gives turn rate and weapons damage), a deflector blast with forward shield reinforce, trait gives a weapons boost from emergency power to shields.

No hangar, nothing particularly OP. Doesn't really make sense as a promo ship, especially with 5 of the last 7 already being Fed-only.

One plus? We'll never recreate that scene from the last episode of Picard in the game. Promo ships are already the rarest ships, and there are so many better options in that box.

Hevach on
    edited September 2020
    Played with the squadron fighters (the Scorpion fighters are available without buying the carrier through the reputation - everything else you need to buy a carrier for). My original guess was correct - they're like the Hurq NPCs, one unit cleverly animated to look like six fighters. Don't even try to hold a formation, just kind of mill around, but still.
    fe88tna724fr.png
    Does look impressive having a bunch of them out there. More weapons but less damage and don't have the powers that single fighters do.

Sadly they didn't go back and add them to any other fighters - these would make a lot of sense on the Dyson swarmers, for example.

Hevach on
    It *looks* cool which is far more than I can say for its appearance in Picard since despite there being so many of them on screen, I never got a good look thanks to the blur being cranked up to 11.

One thing I wish they would do would be to replace all ships created by Photonic Fleet with it since that's what I thought when I first saw that scene.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'm bummed 'cause I came back to actively playing this week (to level a few characters with 2xp) and realized that I never did grab the 20th anniversary "platinum" vanity shield, despite having a whole month to do it. :(

If it makes you feel better, it honestly looks bad. More like brushed aluminum vanity shield.

For Star Trek Day there's going to be a special orbital museum at ESD and DS9, with ten important hero ships, you can hail them for IC and OOC information about each and their series.

f2zkikn817rx.png

Based on the image, the ten ships are: TOS Enterprise, Enterprise-D, Enterprise-E, Voyager, Defiant, NX Enterprise, Kelvin Enterprise, Discovery, DIS/SNW Enterprise, and Enterprise-F.

Minor reward in the form of a title, but sounds like there might be some interesting reading.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Is the fleet still a thing? It didn't show up when I searched for it and I haven't run into anyone in the in-game channel.

Not really. The channels pretty quiet to. What few PAers play are scattered on the three platforms (despite being able to chat with people playing Champions or Neverwinter there's no connectivity across platforms).

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I think there's about maybe 3 folks left in the PC fleet now and we are all on different time zones so I never see anyone else. Projects are still (slowly) getting filled though

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    I can't even find the character I had in it. What characters I have in fleets are dead - my main doesn't have a single fleet project to dump resources in anywhere in it's nearly maxed armada.

Soon, you will be able to max out one reputation on one character for the low low price of 3000 Zen. I hate "pay to skip the grind!" schemes because they always result in making the grind even grindier but at the same time 30 bucks for ONE reputation? That's 39000 for all the current reputations on one character. Compare that to the legendary ship bundle which is 10 excellent T6 ships for your entire account which I got for 19k and that does not seem like a good deal at all. It's not even hard to get marks between events and endeavours dropping mark boxes.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    oof. but at the same time, borg planet iirc was broken on console. and I'm not sure if I was ale to finish it... dunno if it was worth 3000 zen though. o_o

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited September 2020
    It's not even maxed, it only goes to tier 5. That gets you all the gear unlocks and the account-wide exp double, but there's still a whole tier with about 20 days of grind.
    oof. but at the same time, borg planet iirc was broken on console. and I'm not sure if I was ale to finish it... dunno if it was worth 3000 zen though. o_o

There's still red alerts and queues, even if the planet is messed up you don't need it.

How was it broken on consoles? Despite being old as hell, there's actually two whole sections marked on the map and mentioned in dialog that were never finished - the com station and the final boss inside the landed probe.

Of all the endgame grinds, this is probably the most forgiving - every track has its own self-contained progress and it's about 50 days to max, and for $30 you can drop that to about 20 days.

R&D has 2 million exp on 8 tracks with shared slots, doing the research projects gives you about 500 days to max (it can be done in about 250 if instead of the research projects you farm dilithium and materials like a motherfucker and crank out thousands of mkII items).

Doffs is 100k on 11 tracks with shared slots and the vast majority of projects giving less than 100 exp. The first people to max all 11 took a little over a year, but it's been shortened since then, as every project that gives over around 200 exp was added in a big update to the system, along with department heads and chains and a bunch of other things.

Admiralty is 200k on 4 tracks with shared slots *and* a 10k cap per day per track. Right now it's probably the fastest system to max because of the few tracks, but unlike reputations it won't scale capacity with tracks and will slow down if expanded.

Specializations are 210 levels on one bar, plus 50 levels on the same bar on the regular skill trees (they *have* occasionally sold points in this attached to various bundles).

And if they're going to sell progression, that brings me to commendations. If you do *every* project, you still need just over 2 years to hit level 15 in all 30 categories.

Hevach on
    I think there's about maybe 3 folks left in the PC fleet now and we are all on different time zones so I never see anyone else. Projects are still (slowly) getting filled though

My entire armada's been projectless for a month now - if you get a chance, can you throw a fleet invite to Hevach@hevach? Sitting on a huge stock of stuff for projects.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

My entire armada's been projectless for a month now - if you get a chance, can you throw a fleet invite to Hevach@hevach? Sitting on a huge stock of stuff for projects.

I will see what I can do! I think (as you might expect) the most consistent hurdle is doffs for starbase projects, but provisions etc will go a long way :D

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    It's not even maxed, it only goes to tier 5. That gets you all the gear unlocks and the account-wide exp double, but there's still a whole tier with about 20 days of grind.

There's still red alerts and queues, even if the planet is messed up you don't need it.

How was it broken on consoles? Despite being old as hell, there's actually two whole sections marked on the map and mentioned in dialog that were never finished - the com station and the final boss inside the landed probe.

Of all the endgame grinds, this is probably the most forgiving - every track has its own self-contained progress and it's about 50 days to max, and for $30 you can drop that to about 20 days.

R&D has 2 million exp on 8 tracks with shared slots, doing the research projects gives you about 500 days to max (it can be done in about 250 if instead of the research projects you farm dilithium and materials like a motherfucker and crank out thousands of mkII items).

Doffs is 100k on 11 tracks with shared slots and the vast majority of projects giving less than 100 exp. The first people to max all 11 took a little over a year, but it's been shortened since then, as every project that gives over around 200 exp was added in a big update to the system, along with department heads and chains and a bunch of other things.

Admiralty is 200k on 4 tracks with shared slots *and* a 10k cap per day per track. Right now it's probably the fastest system to max because of the few tracks, but unlike reputations it won't scale capacity with tracks and will slow down if expanded.

Specializations are 210 levels on one bar, plus 50 levels on the same bar on the regular skill trees (they *have* occasionally sold points in this attached to various bundles).

And if they're going to sell progression, that brings me to commendations. If you do *every* project, you still need just over 2 years to hit level 15 in all 30 categories.

I just remember having issues with the borg planet, what you've said could be it.

edited September 2020
    It's an old bit of content and... Honestly, not that well done compared to later stuff. There's enough other places to get omega marks - the space queues and red alerts are all pretty easy, not to mention events and random queues that let you double dip on marks so you don't need to just to Borg missions.

I will see what I can do! I think (as you might expect) the most consistent hurdle is doffs for starbase projects, but provisions etc will go a long way :D

I've got tons of doffs on alts, but on my main, I've got about 2 million fleet credits and 3 thousand marks and not a lot of plans for those credits. I could dump them into doff boxes and then into projects all day, especially if we run the mark dump special project constantly.

Hevach on
  • SneaksSneaks Registered User regular

Invite sent.

Yeah Deferra is easily the least effective and most annoying way to get Omega marks. A patrol such as The Ninth Rule or Wanted can be done fairly quickly and give you a decent amount, especially the first time you run it that day.

edited September 2020
    Sneaks wrote: »

Invite sent.

Thanks. Got most of the current projects filled and still have ~1000 doffs in boxes to churn, but everything's filled except goldshirts and I don't have roster space to keep them flowing until projects clear.

Somebody who can edit rank permissions: Nobody seems to be set to use coffer resources on the colony world (the last checkbox in permission), that's the only thing stalling there and the coffers are generating way more than the holding will ever need for free.

Hevach on
    edited September 2020
    Finished off the event today.

The combat walker is a great pet, way better than drones or the dinosaur or Hortas or even the Bajoran orb. Really. It's got better health than a boff, good shields (a little less than my boffs with purple or better mk xv shields), and solid armor. It can take a beating.

However, the best part? Its cool down is 3 minutes. It's life span is 5 minutes. But Admiral Badass, 5 is a bigger number than 3! Why yes, Ensign Fuckstick, yes it is.

Calling a new one kills your current one, but because of its durability it's got a very good chance of surviving it's own cool down, meaning this is a fifth boff, not a typical combat pet. It is slow, so if you've got a wrecking crew that just plows through pulls it might not keep up, but if you have a more traditional petspam engineer team this is a must have.

Picked up the Vengeance for the free ship and threw the console on my Armitage. Great fun on top of all the other AOE gun consoles I've bolted to that bitch. Just have my tactical officer slam his forehead on the console while my helmsman flies loop-the-loops through enemies and hope I don't get caught in the explosions.

Hevach on
    Well, shit. I stopped at 10 days or so thinking it was just going to be another super brief summonable I never have a use for.

I expected that, too. I love those short summons but Timmy's got a permanent spot on my hotbar. I needed the full run for the free ship, though.

Mine survived all of Measure of Morality 1 and 2 except the Borg boss battles with the instant kill squares on the ground - it's got the same avoidance behavior other pets and boffs do, it tries to save itself but it's too slow and has a gigantic hotbox, so it almost never succeeds.

edited September 2020
    Your talk of super pets got me to log in... but I'm confused. The events I can see offer the KIDD Drone and the DOT-7 Drone... o_o

T_T

nvm... Console gets Red Angel armor costume thinger...

tastydonuts on
    edited September 2020
    Consoles an event or so behind PC most of the time, if you're on the Red Angel, the next big one should be this one.

Red Angel was also a decent one if you spend the resources (or a max upgrade event reward like I did) to upgrade it. It's a really good armor, with all around good resists and a ridiculous number of powers. The auto resurrection alone is seriously OP, but the active mode is basically a huge burst DPS boost with free heals, a very strong AOE debuff, and a probably OP crowd control power. You briefly give up your other powers but it's strong enough to be worth it.

You also get to feel like Iron Man flying and shooting lasers from your hands.

Hevach on
    Yeah, I forgot about the console version was behind in this game. I also just browsed the ship shop and was reminded how pricey these ships were, lol.

These event look to be account-wide for credit... are the rewards all account level claims too?

edited September 2020
    The main rewards are. Many also have reward boxes with specialization points or dilithium ore which are one-time, so consider what character you want those on. But things like the Red Angel or the Voth dinosaur can be claimed from the event page for new characters.

I'm taking last year's and this year's vacation off because I don't think my manager will have a job without me doing it for him for three straight weeks.

Planning to spend a fair amount of that in STO now that my wife's into it, too.

I'm sitting in a huge pile of doff boxes but my roster is glutted with civilians. And with nothing to spend them on every 5 I feed the blood god I just spend the points on 3 more, and those points on 2 more, and those on 1 more.

If somebody can flag my fleet permissions for spending coffers (the very last one) and whichever one is for queuing new projects (manage holdings?) between my wife and me I think we can get K13 into its next upgrade cycle and install the colony, dilithium is my limiting factor.

Hevach on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    My long reputation nightmare is over. All Reps to 6. 11/13 Fleet Ship modules claimed. I can go back to playing the game without stressing about making sure I can click on Rep Projects every day.

edit: I went back and looked for the advice comment from @Hevach that really gave me the ability to think it was possible. I started this whole Rep grinding thing on July 10. TWO AND A HALF MONTHS of clicking daily rep projects. Geez.

ObiFett on
    I did the math and I'll only be 1 day short on the event so I should be able to finish it up with a couple hundred Zen. Not too bad for something useful.

I also want, nay, NEED The Dog from Lower Decks to be the next event reward.

Still holding out for a USS Cerritos admiralty ship. Special ability: "Buffer Time: +25 all stats or -25 all stats. You don't know until you click start."

edited September 2020
    New content drop is October 6. New mission and TFO for the Klingon civil war, revamp to the next part of the existing campaign, and Sirella is now voiced by her actor from DS9.

Includes a month long grind event for a 4 piece gear set with a bunch of "stat A boosts stat B and stat B boosts stat C" effects that science builds thrive on, and a subspace weapon that definitely violates a LOT of treaties.

Hevach on
This discussion has been closed.