As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV]: Shadowguys: 5.4 December 8th

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    i like the character details on the MCH one. They call in the drone, then listen on their Linkpearl to what I assume is a report of aiming conditions from the drone. And then they nod to the robot and point to the target.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    you really need to zoom in on the ninja one to see them going mach 5 with naruto handsigns
    also I never noticed before that DRK's is a giant The Blackest Night

Blackester Night

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I am now in Heavensward, having started it at lvl 58
    I'm picking up enough new skills from the job quest that I have no idea what to do with my rotation (dragoon)

the voice acting is a lot better
    finding aether currents is a pain
    I am ready and willing to kill this archbishop as soon as it becomes necessary

these are my thoughts so far thank you

Lalafell
    admanb wrote: »
    you really need to zoom in on the ninja one to see them going mach 5 with naruto handsigns
    also I never noticed before that DRK's is a giant The Blackest Night

Blackester Night

It’s funny because it predates Blackest Night.

Yeah, we used to not even have that move. It was all about parries.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Miqo'te
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm picking up enough new skills from the job quest that I have no idea what to do with my rotation (dragoon)

If only when it became nessessary was sooner.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Miqo'te
    The aether currents in Heavensward aren't actually that bad - they tend to be along the path of the MSQ and blue quests. From what I've heard they used to be real bad, though.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Au'ra
    Neveron wrote: »
    The aether currents in Heavensward aren't actually that bad - they tend to be along the path of the MSQ and blue quests. From what I've heard they used to be real bad, though.

Worst aether current is probably the last zone of Stormblood. There's one that if you're on foot you can only reach it by running from the complete opposite side of the map. Absolutely no part of the MSQ cares about that path.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Roegadyn
    Are there certain use cases for Fang and Claw or Wheeling Strike? Or just whenever the opportunity arises

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    They're pretty much just rewards for executing your rotation well during your buff windows, smoke 'em if you got 'em

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Viera
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Neveron wrote: »

Worst aether current is probably the last zone of Stormblood. There's one that if you're on foot you can only reach it by running from the complete opposite side of the map. Absolutely no part of the MSQ cares about that path.

the philosophy behind the aether current placement is often "an excuse to make people check out this cool area we made that might not even be used in a sidequest, we just thought it was cool"

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    edited September 2020
    Au'ra
    They're pretty much just rewards for executing your rotation well during your buff windows, smoke 'em if you got 'em

Not even that. It's so easy to maintain DRG's buff that they're just combo hits 4 and 5. You can maintain it indefinitely with just the buff button at max level iirc.

Raiden Thrust is the one you don't always get (replaces first hit of combo).

Polaritie on
  • ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Are there certain use cases for Fang and Claw or Wheeling Strike? Or just whenever the opportunity arises

When you first get them they're just new combo enders that you use to also extend your Blood of the Dragon guage. You use Fang and Claw at the end of your Full Thrust combo, and Wheeling thrust at the end of your Chaos Thrust combo, so a full rotation ends up looking like True Thrust > Disembowl > Chaos Thrust > Wheeling Thrust into True Thrust > Vorpal Blade > Full Thrust > Fang and Claw. The timings are a bit weird at this point, but iirc you generally have time to do two Full Thrust combos before you need to reapply Chaos Thrust, so it goes something like Chaos Thrust combo > Full Thrust combo x 2 > Chaos Thrust combo.

Eventually, at 64, you get the trait that lets you combo Fang and Claw into Wheeling Strike and vice versa, which makes everything flow a lot better. At this point you get to just alternate combo paths, going True Thrust > Disembowl > Chaos Thrust > Wheeling Thrust > Fang and Claw > True Thrust> Vorpal Blade > Full Thrust > Fang and Claw > Wheeling Thrust for pretty much the whole fight unless you have to disengage. It's a very strict rotation, in that you will always do those 10 attacks, in order, repeating for the whole fight, but it ends up flowing really nice, especially when you start mixing in all the jumps and other off the global cooldown attacks into the mix.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Basically every move you get from 60 to 80 for DRG are quality of life improvements. Its honestly harder to play at 60 than 80 imo

X22wmuF.jpg
    Roegadyn
    So if I pop Blood of the Dragon right away and keep hitting those combos will it stay active the whole time?

Au'ra
    So if I pop Blood of the Dragon right away and keep hitting those combos will it stay active the whole time?

Yep. Both Wheeling and Thrust and Fang and Claw add duration, so it stays capped. Once you have the full AoE combo (Coerthan Torment), that's even faster at filling it because 2/3 attacks add time.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Miqo'te

I do remember BotD being harder to keep going at earlier levels, simply because you can't combo Wheeling Thrust and Fang & Claw into each other yet; but yeah, your combo enders are meant to keep the buff up.

Once you're in the 70-80 range, it'll be extremely easy to keep BotD going, even during boss-fight phase changes.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
    Viera
    yeah it's rare to drop blood of the dragon once you get the ability to combo wheeling thrust and fang and claw into each other each combo chain

BahamutZERO.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Gonna be weird to basically never need to use transpose at 80

Viera
    transpose becomes pointless except to regen mana between pulls at 72 and nearly completely irrelevant when you get umbral soul at 76 yeah

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hyur

Dragoon has a weird design arc. It will get a bit more complicated for a while, and then it will get simpler as a bunch of your powers are expanded to be less fiddly to use. By 80 it feels real good, but getting synced down to lower levels is sometimes a shock.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    BLM is the only class that gets it worse imo. There are just some jobs that have a real time with kit redistribution across expansions.

Miqo'te
    Javen wrote: »
    BLM is the only class that gets it worse imo. There are just some jobs that have a real time with kit redistribution across expansions.

Especially when you get synced down to the point where you need to find out where on Earth you put Blizzard 1 and 2. At least the core combo's mostly set in stone once you've got Fire and Ice 3, with stuff after that mostly just adding to it?

• MrGrimoireMrGrimoire Pixflare Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    I've had Blizzard 2 off my hotbar for 3 expansions. I'm not about to put it in just because I got in a low-level dungeon.

Miqo'te
    50 potency on a close-range AOE is pretty bad! At least you get it super early, though, so you can actually do AOE damage when starting out unlike certain other classes *coughDragooncoughLevel40cough*

Roegadyn
    BLM is definitely going to need some trimming next xpac. There really isn't room for anything else in their rotation at 80.

They're the only job that didn't drop any skills going into ShBr

X22wmuF.jpg
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I started with Blizzard 1 on the 1 key and I've kept it there ever since. I run too many synced roulettes and have plenty of hotkey space to think "Oh, I'll never use that ever again" with anything.

Still, it's vital to know exactly when and how to use low-level abilities.
    Mdgw5gL.jpg

SabreMau on
    Lalafell
    Blizzard II should become Freeze via a trait once you get to the appropriate level. Possibly you could do the same with Fire II and Flare, though I've heard that some folks still do a rotation with a bunch of Fire IIs and then a Flare around level 50.

And I think they need to do something with Scathe. It continues to feel awful to use, particularly after you get Fire IV and need to be super mindful of how much you can afford to use non-Fire spells when in Fire mode.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    On my UI, each Job gets 3 Hotbars dedicated to their buttons (minus one from each row, as the last in each row are Sprint, Duty Action, and Limit Break). If they can't fit all their buttons in those 33 remaining slots, then they have too many damn buttons and stuff is getting left off.

Lars on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I run with 4 hotbars, so no problem fitting everything in with space left over for mounts or macros or whatever miscellany.
    wsSJBGz.jpg

Lalafell
    I use Cross hotbars, so it's always a bit of a struggle to fit everything in just right. Especially with non-casters, since I don't have anything with cast times I can put on the D-pad.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    I actually repurposed my Cross Bars into a sort of Log for my Hunting Bills so I don't have to open my Quest Items menu.

I hit a button to toggle the Cross Bar appearing on the screen, and I can tell at a glance which Hunt Bills I need to pick up if they're greyed out, and can also easily click on the one I want since each one has their own specific slot.

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Live letter for 5.4 set for Oct 9th.

Folks are thinking that means 5.35 will drop on the 6th.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Lalafell
    I don't think I shall ever tire of well-made Slam Jams.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Cactuar
    Enlong wrote: »
    I don't think I shall ever tire of well-made Slam Jams.

Better then Space Jellies anyway

Roegadyn
    You could probably have fire/ice 1 upgrade to 3 and just have them like, convert the opposite element stacks you already have or add 1 instead of giving you 3 automatically.

Wouldn't even really have to change firestarter or sharp cast even.

X22wmuF.jpg
    edited September 2020
    Viera
    in the rotation as it currently exists fire 1 is still an important button, it's what you use to refresh your astral fire stack duration during fire 4 spam so you don't drop enochian. Blizzard 1 is only used at 80 in the extreme edge case of dropping your stacks with 0 MP left, where you can cast it off natural regen slightly sooner than blizzard 3 to get a single umbral ice stack and start regenerating MP faster.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Roegadyn
    in the rotation as it currently exists fire 1 is still an important button, it's what you use to refresh your astral fire stack duration during fire 4 spam so you don't drop enochian. Blizzard 1 is only used at 80 in the extreme edge case of dropping your stacks with 0 MP left, where you can cast it off natural regen slightly sooner than blizzard 3 to get a single umbral ice stack and start regenerating MP faster.

Yeah I'm more saying that fire/blizzard 3 are what could get folded into 1.

Just make fire 1 hit harder basically, and ditch the longer cast time.

IDK what the hell to do with fire 2 though. Other than rebalancing all your AOE potencies and umbral heart generation to make it worthwhile past 50 I guess.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I got BTN to 80! First time getting max level on any of the DoH/L classes. I have ignored the Chrystaline Mean quests for the most part. Should I do those now anyway? Is there a sensible guide to follow with where I can find more content to mess with at 80?

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Crystalline Mean quests are a big chunk of exp, scrip, and materia. If you think you're gonna work on miner, I'd save them. Fishing has it's own set of quests. As for endgame gathering you've got two things: farm scrip or farm materials to chuck on the market board (Firmament stuff falls under this header). I'd suggest doing weekly turn-ins with Kai-Shirr and Ehll Tol so you can get yourself a set of white scrip gear, that'll get your stats in a good place. You can also turn the yellow scrip into materia and sell that.

aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.