As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    IT'S HERE

And there's even codes for some sort of Gundam.INFO promo thingy!

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm probably going to get all 3 of the main Zeta MGs too... only have the Mk 2 so far.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Small Barbatos update since I am still in the middle of the painting legs.

cf0g1ovq5qpe.jpg

This is what my D1 runner looks like with all those silver pistons. A couple drops of Tamiya Smoke(X-19) and like 2 or 3 drops of lacquer thinner and tap it with a brush wherever looks good. Just a little detail that is hard to see once they go on the model.

steam_sig.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    I think the PG RX-78-2 2.0 is supposed to based on it but don't quote me on that.

the new PG is unrelated, but we'll finally see what it looks like in two weeks

uc3ufTB.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Yeah I'm probably going to get all 3 of the main Zeta MGs too... only have the Mk 2 so far.

the mk2 is REALLY good. i'm sad about it but the Zeta is the weakest of the 3 as a kit

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Small Barbatos update since I am still in the middle of the painting legs.

cf0g1ovq5qpe.jpg

This is what my D1 runner looks like with all those silver pistons. A couple drops of Tamiya Smoke(X-19) and like 2 or 3 drops of lacquer thinner and tap it with a brush wherever looks good. Just a little detail that is hard to see once they go on the model.

I am so looking forward to the final product on this.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    How long have you been painting model kits, @TNTrooper ?

Not that long. I started using Gundam Markers back in the first half of 2019 but that was mostly just using the Mr. Hobby airbrush to paint stuff gold and in October I spray painted the inner frame of my RG Nu Gundam. This is actually the first kit I'll be painting all the armor.

steam_sig.png
    So is it all spray paint like cans you're using or are you using brushes for those details?

You're making me want to try and do cool detail painting like you're doing on a kit, but I haven't tried any painting in like twenty years (and I was horrible back then) so I am definitely looking for some tips.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

the mk2 is REALLY good. i'm sad about it but the Zeta is the weakest of the 3 as a kit

all the transforming kits are kind of hobbled by the transformation mechanisms imo

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    New set of P-Bandai US pre-orders starting in a little less than half an hour

• WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    How do you find what’s about to go up?

edited September 2020
    So is it all spray paint like cans you're using or are you using brushes for those details?

You're making me want to try and do cool detail painting like you're doing on a kit, but I haven't tried any painting in like twenty years (and I was horrible back then) so I am definitely looking for some tips.

I have an airbrush setup but I use lacquer paint for inner frames and that isn't available in bottles yet so I am using spray cans for that. So for now my airbrushes are for top coats and the occasional primer and color.

Edit: I do have some brushes just for the little tiny detail stuff but if taping and airbrushing is an option I am going with that.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    My Gundam Expo order arrived, and the PG Strike Rouge came last week, so my backlog is now officially too big.

I made slight progress though by making the Rouge's feet!

84lm41a211zm.jpeg

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »
    How do you find what’s about to go up?

The bluefinbrands twitter account mainly, at least for me.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    bandai's facebook posts the announcements too
    https://www.facebook.com/BANDAIHobbysite/

uc3ufTB.png
    https://www.gundamkitscollection.com is pretty good at upcoming stuff too. Like no clue there was a new run of the PG Phenex till I went to their site to grab the URL and well my wallet is fucked.

steam_sig.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular

all the transforming kits are kind of hobbled by the transformation mechanisms imo

Except the ZZ Ver.Ka apparently. That thing is rock solid.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    What’s opening up tomorrow? I’d hate to put an order for 1 kit tonight and wind up doing another order tomorrow.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Not yet, but two kits have been announced

Hey I was wrong about this. The kits based on the big walking Gundam are out. Search for RX-78F00 Gundam, but good luck finding stock.

if you are ordering replacement parts from bluefin, if you bought the bluefin marked kits off amazon, would the order confirmation email from amazon count as a receipt for that purpose?

BahamutZERO.gif
    if you are ordering replacement parts from bluefin, if you bought the bluefin marked kits off amazon, would the order confirmation email from amazon count as a receipt for that purpose?

I'd probably do a screenshot of the order details page which is probably the same stuff as the email but easier to find.

steam_sig.png
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    You might have to be on desktop but they should have an option for an invoice.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    What’s opening up tomorrow? I’d hate to put an order for 1 kit tonight and wind up doing another order tomorrow.

Nevermind. Todesritter sold through in like 3 hours. :x

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Got the MG Hizack (because I couldn't find the Hamma Hamma in stock and my FAZZ needed something to shoot at) and oh boy the age of the kit shows.

The thing that gets me is that other than the cabling and the bad pre-tab MG hands this is basically what would be a RE/100 nowadays.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    MelonTron wrote: »
    My Gundam Expo order arrived, and the PG Strike Rouge came last week, so my backlog is now officially too big.

[img.]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/7i/84lm41a211zm.jpeg[/img]

It feels utterly awesome to see parts and go "HEY! I recognize that!" :D

Can't wait to see what's different between the Perfect Strike and the Strike Rogue.

... this thread is making me want to build another model in my backlog, but I still have so much other responsibilities I have to do first!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Got the MG Hizack (because I couldn't find the Hamma Hamma in stock and my FAZZ needed something to shoot at) and oh boy the age of the kit shows.

The thing that gets me is that other than the cabling and the bad pre-tab MG hands this is basically what would be a RE/100 nowadays.

So...

Given it’s the Hizack, has Zaku been translated wrong all these years? Should it be Zack?

Feels it’d fit with UCs trend towards WWII-isms, like the GM being a “Jim” when said aloud, like how we say “Jeep” for a GP

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »

So...

Given it’s the Hizack, has Zaku been translated wrong all these years? Should it be Zack?

Feels it’d fit with UCs trend towards WWII-isms, like the GM being a “Jim” when said aloud, like how we say “Jeep” for a GP

but then they'd end up getting confused with the Zock

I will be taking no further questions.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited September 2020
    Athenor wrote: »
    MelonTron wrote: »

[img.]https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/7i/84lm41a211zm.jpeg[/img]

It feels utterly awesome to see parts and go "HEY! I recognize that!" :D

Can't wait to see what's different between the Perfect Strike and the Strike Rogue.

... this thread is making me want to build another model in my backlog, but I still have so much other responsibilities I have to do first!

I'm pretty sure the strike rouge is just a recolor of the same grade strike models?
    a good recolor that I would like to have, granted

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    While Seed's whole "the armor changes color when the suit turns on and also based on who's piloting it" is pretty dumb from an military equipment standpoint it is pretty cool

X22wmuF.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    While Seed's whole "the armor changes color when the suit turns on and also based on who's piloting it" is pretty dumb from an military equipment standpoint it is pretty cool

Isn't that an idea from After Earth?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited September 2020
    They actually came up with a technobabble lore justification for why what's-her-name's strike gundam is pink, something to do with an upgraded generator phase-shifting the powered armor plating stuff, but they aren't actually fooling anyone, it's pink because it's the girl's robot and then they worked backwards from there.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly, Kira changes the Rouge back to regular Strike colours in Destiny, which suggests it could potentially be any colour the pilot sets it to be.

Personally, I like the pink and red as a nice change to the standard main Gundam red/blue/white. As for the kit itself, I think it is just the same as the standard Strike except for the colours. The advantage though is you get the Aile pack and the Skygrasper included rather than as a separate set.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Man, lotta stickers on this Delta Kai

Lanz wrote: »

So...

the japanese makes a slight distinction, ザク vs ザック

uc3ufTB.png
    Done painting the MG Barbatos inner frame.

ww9fzdkz6srm.jpg

2qs7mg8wknhp.jpg

Got to do a bit of panel lining and then it is on to the top coat.

steam_sig.png
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Man, lotta stickers on this Delta Kai

Yeah. Personally I didn't have to much trouble with them. I imagine you could probably omit the blue for the wing edges and it'd still look nice if you wanted.

X22wmuF.jpg
    I used gundam marker where I could, but once again it has a very unique shade of purple... :D

@TNTrooper are you doing anything regarding rubbing/sliding of pieces over each other? I thought of that earlier when you showed your amazingly oily looking pistons.

This discussion has been closed.