As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kids] are the best of times, the worst of times

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    It gets real once they can open doors and shit.

Open doors, untie ties, climb virtually anything . . . and the puzzle solving. Like finding out all the things one can reach with a chair.

I'm not sure if these are things the kids are doing or the geese...

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    It gets real once they can open doors and shit.

Open doors, untie ties, climb virtually anything . . . and the puzzle solving. Like finding out all the things one can reach with a chair.

The first time I saw Ripley move her step stool from the bathroom sink to her room to climb up her dresser it was like seeing velociraptor open a door for the first time.

Same thoughts.

On the other hand, asking the little dude to retrieve something is akin to that scene in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 with Baby Groot. At least he hasn't randomly brought me a severed human toe . . . yet.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Sapling, at three, has shown zero interest in climbing out of her crib, which is nice, because we don't have to worry about her staying in bed, but also I feel like maybe she should have figured it out by now?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Sapling, at three, has shown zero interest in climbing out of her crib, which is nice, because we don't have to worry about her staying in bed, but also I feel like maybe she should have figured it out by now?

Waiting for your next post of her falling out of the crib she just climbed.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

My kids never climbed out of their cribs. It was hard to convince my husband to convert their cribs to toddler beds.
    They are still do very good at climbing or moving anything and everything to get what they want. That just never interested them.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options

My kids never climbed out of their cribs. It was hard to convince my husband to convert their cribs to toddler beds.
    They are still do very good at climbing or moving anything and everything to get what they want. That just never interested them.

Similarly, we have two child gates in the house; our kid figured out how to unlock them (slide back latch, then lift) so I tie them, double knots, both sides. But see, if he really wants to get through those knots to get into the kitchen or the upstairs during the day without a chaperone, well then he'll damn well untie them. He just doesn't usually want to, so it doesn't happen. Which is basically the way it seems for most of the things he wants vs doesn't: if he wants it, he is single focus and intent on "the thing", and if he doesn't want it or care about it, nothing you do will make him interested.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

Similarly, we have two child gates in the house; our kid figured out how to unlock them (slide back latch, then lift) so I tie them, double knots, both sides. But see, if he really wants to get through those knots to get into the kitchen or the upstairs during the day without a chaperone, well then he'll damn well untie them. He just doesn't usually want to, so it doesn't happen. Which is basically the way it seems for most of the things he wants vs doesn't: if he wants it, he is single focus and intent on "the thing", and if he doesn't want it or care about it, nothing you do will make him interested.

That's a pretty good demonstration of locks/security in general. It'll never be completely secure against unwanted access, your job is to just make it too annoying they don't want to bother

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Though some people--and some children--have a higher tolerance for petty annoyances. Like my kid.

Tenacious little squirt.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I got frustrated last night and finally removed the gates on the stairs. Both kids can open them and they were becoming a play thing, which was highly stressing me out.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    So far this week, I’ve gotten 4 emails from the school’s principal announced positive cases of COVID-19 and one of them was a 2 positives. Once again I feel better keeping the kids home.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Nursery having a bit of a nightmare.

Started up a mailing list for a new newsletter.

The first attachment was corrupted, resulting in numerous parents replying all to point this out.

They then sent another email with another attachment which was actually a HR form for a new member of staff which had their name, address, dob and national insurance number on it....

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's been 7 years already. After all the carefully thought-of presents the main thing he wanted to do was play two player Goose Game

So we got dressed up in our (Thursday) best

PG0yJOPl.jpg

And caused some mayhem

stbYsWbl.jpg

Peace was never an option

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ellie had her before school checks today.

knowing colours, shapes, counting. On, under, next to, behind, in front of.

Ellie did amazing, even telling the nurse that she could count to ten in English and Maori. and when it came down to it, she chose to count in Maori.

She's 102.4cm and exactly 15kg. She can write her first and last names and knows her colours and shapes.

I'm so not sure about how i'm feeling. super proud but also very nervous about the 'omg she's going to school'

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    My mom is watching my 17 month old today and my sister and niece live with her. Patrick apparently thinks 2nd grade is a TV showtzf1ksar7mxs.jpeg

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Just wanted to pop in and say how proud I am of how my son is handling virtual learning. I know it's not easy for anybody, but he's taking OK to it, and seems very understanding.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I got some photos from daycare yesterday and, well, look what I found my son doing in the background:

7v7a3411i4hw.jpg

He is definitely my son

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    Would it be weird if someone you worked with ~2 years ago who lives fairly nearby messaged you out of the blue and asked if you wanted to set up a play date for your kid and theirs, who are roughly the same age? I feel bad because Sapling doesn't really get a whole lot of chances to interact with other kids, but especially with all this COVID stuff, there hasn't been anywhere we can take her, and I'm pretty anti-social most of the time.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Would it be weird if someone you worked with ~2 years ago who lives fairly nearby messaged you out of the blue and asked if you wanted to set up a play date for your kid and theirs, who are roughly the same age? I feel bad because Sapling doesn't really get a whole lot of chances to interact with other kids, but especially with all this COVID stuff, there hasn't been anywhere we can take her, and I'm pretty anti-social most of the time.

Not really? They may be in the same boat and you might be someone that lives nearby they think may be taking precautions properly.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Not really? They may be in the same boat and you might be someone that lives nearby they think may be taking precautions properly.

Make sure everyone is on the same page with creating a bubble. All you need is one fucker to screw up the whole system.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    We've been having fun with the Pokemon Smile app for teeth brushing.

You get virtual hats and stickers everytime you brush, but only if Pikachu defeats all the cavities and boss cavity in your mouth.
    Apple & Android.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/6/17/21294072/pokemon-smile-brushing-teeth-ar-augmented-reality-adventure

• Options
    So the glorious asshole in charge of Florida is opening restaurants to 100% tonight. Did I mention that today we got another email/text alert from the High School of yet another positive COVID case? Our Governor is so mentally deficient that he is saying we’ll be ready to host the Super Bowl in February!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    God do I hate how my social awkwardness makes any of this feel so much more awkward.

• Options
    So how do I move my family to New Zealand?

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

Step 1: don't look at housing prices there. Seriously, just don't.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular

Probably should have started asking that some time before the rich starting building climate apocalypse bunkers there.

• Options
    Ranlin wrote: »

Probably should have started asking that some time before the rich starting building climate apocalypse bunkers there.

Story of my life.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

So the real talk answer

Have a skill we need. Manual labor mostly, especially coming up to fruit season. We need teachers, we need nurses. We need "low skill" workers.

There's all this talk about housing prices, and honestly it's true for most of the big city centers. You're looking at about 600k-1M easily depending on your location and the size you need.

You can get a place out of the big cities for cheaper, but the job opportunities are less.

Add all this into the fact that the borders are currently closed and it's a tough ask right now to move.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    Thanks it’s just a curiosity I’ve kicked around for a few years. The other option is Canada. I’d love to move to Italy and buy one of the $1 fix it up deals. We just hate Florida and are trying to figure out where to move to. We want snowy winters and all the seasons. The wife is in school to be a nurse so that opens up job opportunities. For me? At 53 I can pick up just about anything to help out if the kids are back in school.

Edit-: I knew we’d hate Florida but we came to help with my father who has since passed so no reason to stay.

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    2hrm1dn9gzsl.jpg
    https://tiermaker.com/create/netflix-childrens-shows-for-kids-under-3--595686

hey, based off the following ranked list of shows, does anyone have recommendations of shows that we might like watching with our 18 month old toddler?

most of this list is based off of: how engaged she is with the show, how high the production values are for the show, and how much my wife and I can tolerate having the show on for extended periods. so far Sesame Street, Twirlywoos and the surprisingly good Blues Clues and You have been big hits

in particular she seems to engage with shows that have a mix of live action actors or puppets/claymation, vs purely traditionally drawn or
    full cgi shows, but that seems to be evening out as she gets older

*avatar last airbender probably shouldn't be on that list since its way outside of our age bracket, but its included because we both love it

• Options
    I really like Puffin Rock, and PJ Masks isn't the worst. Motown Magic was kind of fun, but we haven't watched that in a while. I liked Magic School Bus, but at that young I don't think Sapling really engaged with it at all. My duaghter loves Paw Patrol, although I don't think its on any of the services we have, so we don't watch it much, but the rest of your bottom tier looks about right.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    18 months is tough; if you have Disney+ you should look up Little Einsteins, it's basically an excuse to listen to classical music and my kids really liked it when they were that age.

And if you're in the app anyway Doc McStuffins and Handy Manny are pretty good and not painful to have on in the background.

Peen on
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    18 months is tough; if you have Disney+ you should look up Little Einsteins, it's basically an excuse to listen to classical music and my kids really liked it when they were that age.

And if you're in the app anyway Doc McStuffins and Handy Manny are pretty good and not painful to have on in the background.

Doc McStuffins has the benefit of normalizing doctors visits.

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    I think that's around when we started showing Shaun the sheep, which is still the no 1 favourite as he grows close to 2.

Which I don't mind, since it's fairly funny for a kid show.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    Puffin Rock was my kiddo's go-to for at least 1.5 of the first two years of his life. He's now almost 4 and he'll still watch it from time to time, as well as Pocoyo which was his other go-to show early on.

As of from 2 until now, he's also enjoyed: Ducktales, Hilda, Cory Carson, Number Blocks, and Octonauts. He used to watch Chip and Potato, but the entire show grated on me so I've "forgotten" it exists. He also likes Yoohoo to the Rescue (anthropomorphic animal team helps animals out usually with personal/friend issues, and learns something about themselves in the process), and Charlie's Colorform City (which is a bit much for me, but heavy on imagination, shape recognition, and problem solving).

On Disney+, I'll give Bluey a shoutout as a fantastic show I'm still finding fun to watch/have on in the background.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

Doc McStuffins has the benefit of normalizing doctors visits.

That's a serious earworm song.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Luiane wrote: »
    I think that's around when we started showing Shaun the sheep, which is still the no 1 favourite as he grows close to 2.

Which I don't mind, since it's fairly funny for a kid show.

We watched the spin-off Timmy Time, it's about the young animals going to daycare. Has no spoken word, so easier to follow for 2 year olds.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Octonauts at C? That's just wrong.
    For 18 months, I'd say Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse (4th wall breaks are great for the kids), Puffin Rock and maybe some of the PBS stuff? Dinosaur Train?

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    We just started showing our kid (22 months) sesame street and he seems to be into it.

There are a lot more puppets than what I remember from the late 80's

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Just sorting through some photos from last year and found this series of shots -- N was very pointedly having a bad time getting home from school that day:

IQmsht1.jpg