As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Tarzhei

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Tarzhei

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• quandaarquandaar Registered User new member
    I don't get it. Where'd his xbox go?

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    quandaar wrote: »

Took me a minute. First location is the pickup or maybe electronics area. Second is the actual checkout.

I guess some stores do it differently. Cause when buying from the pickup area I just paid there or ahead of time.

Quid on
  • HeWhoSeesHeWhoSees Registered User regular
    I don't know whether to laugh or primal scream at this.

• DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Bruh

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I wasn’t even given a chance to put the PS5 into my cart, because Sony said preorders start Friday and I believed them. Then preorders started Thursday and sold out while I was oblivious to their early availability.

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Quid wrote: »
    quandaar wrote: »

Took me a minute. First location is the pickup or maybe electronics area. Second is the actual checkout.

I guess some stores do it differently. Cause when buying from the pickup area I just paid there or ahead of time.

I don't think any store lets you just wander around with unpaid multi-hundred dollar electronics. Target definitely doesn't. But I think this is a joke about "what if real shopping worked like online shopping". And maybe it's been years since either Mike or Jerry bought any game or system in a store.

YoungFrey on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I wasn’t even given a chance to put the PS5 into my cart, because Sony said preorders start Friday and I believed them. Then preorders started Thursday and sold out while I was oblivious to their early availability.

This is why we don't do "And guess what you can get it right now!" theatrics anymore.

(In the voice of "So this is why we don't have nice things.")

• KredKred Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    But I think this is a joke about "what if real shopping worked like online shopping". And maybe it's been years since either Mike or Jerry bought any game or system in a store.

Ah, that makes sense. I had no clue at all, other than Gabe having a mental breakdown .

• shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    Ahhh it's supposed to be a joke about online shopping. Some places have it so that an item in your cart stays there for a specified amount of time like best buy so no one else can purchase it out from under you. I wish more online stores did that.

• DaftDevDaftDev Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    As someone that had this happen many many times this past week with online pre-orders, I can relate. Love the real-life metaphor.

DaftDev on
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Ahhh it's supposed to be a joke about online shopping. Some places have it so that an item in your cart stays there for a specified amount of time like best buy so no one else can purchase it out from under you. I wish more online stores did that.
    This makes you vulnerable to "denial of inventory" bot attacks, however. Which is probably why more online stores are moving away from the practice, unless they are large enough to take the hit and have dedicated staff to prevent them.
    https://www.netacea.com/glossary/denial-of-inventory/

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I can tell you best buy was not doing this for the new systems either. You could have had one in your cart for 30+minutes just trying to get through checkout and once they were sold out it just said "sorry the item in your cart is not available any more"

ASK ME HOW I KNOW

• BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    I know this is about online shopping, but it also works if you entertain the idea that someone stole the thing from his cart.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I know this is about online shopping, but it also works if you entertain the idea that someone stole the thing from his cart.
    This is the funnier take, and actually I've heard of that happening in the mad cap days of the PS2. With fist fights and people just jacking it out of other peoples carts when they weren't looking. Loss prevention had a meeting with us over what to do in those instances. The loss prevention guy was a fucken prick so I didn't really pay attention.

• dysmeydysmey Registered User new member
    Those two clerks look like mod versions of Carla and *arley from the Trenches. I figure they had to find employment somewhere ... of a similar kind.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    zepherin wrote: »
    This is the funnier take, and actually I've heard of that happening in the mad cap days of the PS2. With fist fights and people just jacking it out on other peoples carts when they weren't looking. Loss prevention had a meeting with us over what to do in those instances. The loss prevention guy was a fucken prick so I didn't really pay attention.

That's how I kept people from stealing mine. Super convenient Target sells pants and towels too.

MichaelLC on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Took me a few reads to realize the title was an alternate pronunciation of Target that I myself have done quite a few times. So I don't know why it took me that long.

• UrazzUrazz Registered User regular
    That's why if you buy a console at launch, you just buy the console and nothing else so people can't take it from your cart when you are distracted looking at other items to buy. You can always make another trip to the store for other items when you get your console home.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Urazz wrote: »
    That's why if you buy a console at launch, you just buy the console and nothing else so people can't take it from your cart when you are distracted looking at other items to buy. You can always make another trip to the store for other items when you get your console home.

Or just get the console, safe it up in your car, then go back in for whatever else.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

Or just get the console, safe it up in your car, then go back in for whatever else.

That's a good recipe for a smashed-in car window.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular

This.

Get the HVT to your ground transport and extract.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Get the console, drive home, set it up, order everything else online between rounds of Fortnite

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]