As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    OH SHIT. I had forgotten about this, due to the whole getting my ribs bruised up thing, but earlier at work today-

So for the last three months or so, every time I file & submit expense reports against our discretionary account, the division boss has yelled at my GM that I'm not submitting the codes & reasons for the expenses. To which I've pushed back every time.

Today I got on the phone with the admin that handles the division managers expense account and administrates all sub-accounts, had her review my work for the last few periods, she called it "impressive", nothing was missing, everything was done, coded, explained past expectations. My (electronic)paperwork is impeccable.

So I got to fire email back up the chain to put the division leader on the spot to explain himself.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've all been assigned a training on how to deal with customers hitting on you at work. Progress is slow because I keep clicking back to the first slide to laugh at the stock photo guy they came up with.

6x4vqs3kfa8o.png

Nailing it, dude. Confidence is attractive.

So my wife quit her job about a year ago and since then she's been renewing her love of art. She's kicked out a couple dozen paintings and recently talked about wanting to get back into digital art and also writing. So we scraped up some cash and got her a nice new Surface Pro 7 and she absolutely loves it and apparently she's gotten pretty good at whatever photoshop type program she uses so anyway
    gxulufcowxoj.jpg

I love my wife

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    She’s a keepa.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Incredible.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Ordered subordinate to take some of my workload as I dealt with crisis.

Subordinate did such a terrible job, client emailed my boss.

Will never ask subordinate for help again.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    While theoretically "take off as much time as you like as long as the work gets done" sounds like how things ought to work, I have never heard of a case where it turned out better than the standard PTO system. None of the companies who implement it actually have the culture required for a "take off as much time as you like as long as the work gets done" state of mind, and it just turns into peer pressure from managers and no-life coworkers to never take a day off, ever.

If it ever got used at my company, I'd just straight up tell my managers, I'm keeping track of how much time I'm taking off each year, and that's going to be at a minimum the same amount as it was under the old system.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Ordered subordinate to take some of my workload as I dealt with crisis.

Subordinate did such a terrible job, client emailed my boss.

Will never ask subordinate for help again.

Ouch. :bro:

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    While theoretically "take off as much time as you like as long as the work gets done" sounds like how things ought to work, I have never heard of a case where it turned out better than the standard PTO system. None of the companies who implement it actually have the culture required for a "take off as much time as you like as long as the work gets done" state of mind, and it just turns into peer pressure from managers and no-life coworkers to never take a day off, ever.

If it ever got used at my company, I'd just straight up tell my managers, I'm keeping track of how much time I'm taking off each year, and that's going to be at a minimum the same amount as it was under the old system.

Oh yeah, in my experience people would take drastically less paid time off

And even when it's unlimited sick leave, you have people bragging about only ever taking 1-3 days of sick leave ever, and it was always like, why

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I’ve been mildly sick this whole week and also fairly fatigued and grouchy because of a (short term) assy-bullshit schedule.

My girlfriend made a strong case for me taking a sick day yesterday and I was just like “A sick day, the fuck am I, The Marquess of Goddamned Queensbury!?”
    I shoulda just took a sick day.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Generally, “Listen to your girlfriend,” is solid life advice. :D

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    My girlfriend tells me not to listen to her.

I don't know what to do.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    My girlfriend tells me not to listen to her.

I don't know what to do.

This statement is false

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    We've all been assigned a training on how to deal with customers hitting on you at work. Progress is slow because I keep clicking back to the first slide to laugh at the stock photo guy they came up with.

6x4vqs3kfa8o.png

Nailing it, dude. Confidence is attractive.

So my wife quit her job about a year ago and since then she's been renewing her love of art. She's kicked out a couple dozen paintings and recently talked about wanting to get back into digital art and also writing. So we scraped up some cash and got her a nice new Surface Pro 7 and she absolutely loves it and apparently she's gotten pretty good at whatever photoshop type program she uses so anyway
    gxulufcowxoj.jpg

I love my wife

EXQUISITE

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Fine.

You got me.

I don't have a girlfriend and I know exactly what to do.

• Options
    My wife is nowhere near as online as I am. Like, she's basically not online at all. She has a twitter for her art but she never uses it.

So however weird you're imagining that conversation went, it was weirder.

"Hey I need you to edit this pic for me"
    "Who's that?"
    "Iunno."
    "This is for the forums isn't it?
    "Yep! I need this face from this comic swapped into it."
    "Is this the comic from the forums?"
    "Hahaha, not even at all."
    "What comic is this from?"
    ". . . I plead the fifth."
    "Is this some sort of meme?"
    "Sort of?!"
    "Aren't those forums topic-based?"
    "...sort of..."
    "Which topic is this even for?"
    "...the job thread..."
    SamuelJohnson.jpg
    "... it's also the flu shot thread?"
    PoeFromHarkAVagrant.jpg

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »

Oh yeah, in my experience people would take drastically less paid time off

And even when it's unlimited sick leave, you have people bragging about only ever taking 1-3 days of sick leave ever, and it was always like, why

I remember back when like, the ACA was getting passed, some right wing dude made a video talking about wimpy libs, and how he hadn't had a single day off at all in like eight years. And I was just watching it going dude, why are you proud of this

Back when I first started work, I'd put extra effort into driving in on snowy/icy days and stuff like that, and eventually I realized that there is no gold star, you are not going to get a promotion because you had perfect attendance. Your health/safety is more important.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I always intend to submit paper reviews well ahead of the deadline but then they inevitably slip down the priority list and of course I don't want to do a rush job so when I do remember them it takes like, two or three days to really let it percolate and anyway, yet another one just squeaked in by the skin of its teeth, cheers to me.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

I...uh....I'm the weird guy who actually gets to use that how it's intended.

So I've seen both sides of that coin. Sometimes I'm working with India which means a ton of night meetings and it fucking sucks.

Sometimes I'm rolling in at 9:30 and leaving at 4 every day because we're more than on track and there's nothing pressing for me to do, and my manager is okay with it? I mean, my cube is (well, was) literally across the aisle from him and he'd wave when I was on my way out. Being around for a while and having a reputation for always being honest about how things are going, and having a history of going "okay, this deadline is like right fucking now and we just had something explode, I guess I'm logging in this weekend" has built up to me being able to get away with some shit >_>

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

So I've seen both sides of that coin. Sometimes I'm working with India which means a ton of night meetings and it fucking sucks.

Sometimes I'm rolling in at 9:30 and leaving at 4 every day because we're more than on track and there's nothing pressing for me to do, and my manager is okay with it? I mean, my cube is (well, was) literally across the aisle from him and he'd wave when I was on my way out. Being around for a while and having a reputation for always being honest about how things are going, and having a history of going "okay, this deadline is like right fucking now and we just had something explode, I guess I'm logging in this weekend" has built up to me being able to get away with some shit >_>

Not to be too big a downer, but that is how regular salary should work in general, not even figuring in the PTO system.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Not to be too big a downer, but that is how regular salary should work in general, not even figuring in the PTO system.

Oh, I agree. Just from what people talk about, it rarely seems to end up that way.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dont worry. The minute I can travel freely again I fully tend to take enormous advantage of our unlimited PTO policy.

In unrelated news, anyone need a robotics dilettante probably ... ooh, Jan 2022ish?

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    The internet is down in my area.

So my Friday morning now consists of sitting around in my pyjamas doing fuck all

Which beats work but man I got a ton of stuff to do today

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think that it's a bad idea to connect holiday days with sick days

You get your holiday days, and then you should get a statutory amount of fully paid sick leave. You should be able to be signed off for weeks, months, whatever, fully paid, if you're ill.

Sick leave is not a holiday. You're ill. You need to be off, and really you'd prefer to be healthy and at work.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I always intend to submit paper reviews well ahead of the deadline but then they inevitably slip down the priority list and of course I don't want to do a rush job so when I do remember them it takes like, two or three days to really let it percolate and anyway, yet another one just squeaked in by the skin of its teeth, cheers to me.

Just being aware of the existence of a due date still puts you in the top 5% of reviewers.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    That's barely over my hourly plus I get my monthly VA disability which more than covers my rent, and I live in Seattle instead of NYC, but that's where the similarities end.

And think about it

You actually have to do some work

And had to go to war!

That's just retail.

I would rather go back to the chaos of Iraq than be here at times

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    So the helpdesk software dude called back and is now trying to fix an issue over TeamViewer. He has called over a colleague, they're working together on it for over an hour while I am chilling here playing Pokemon and doing chores. It doesn't look like they're making any progress.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    So, one of my colleagues has been getting serious about eating healthy and regular exercise since the end of lockdown, and to show our support as a team for her efforts we decioded to hold our team retrospective at the observatory at the top of the botanical gardens / cable car on the hill behind the city.

I also baked raspberry chocolate brownies. Everyone is allowed a cheat day.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    So, one of my colleagues has been getting serious about eating healthy and regular exercise since the end of lockdown, and to show our support as a team for her efforts we decioded to hold our team retrospective at the observatory at the top of the botanical gardens / cable car on the hill behind the city.

What's that, it's time for a photoshop thread?

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »
    So the helpdesk software dude called back and is now trying to fix an issue over TeamViewer. He has called over a colleague, they're working together on it for over an hour while I am chilling here playing Pokemon and doing chores. It doesn't look like they're making any progress.
    After a few hours they cleared one error.... But ran into another error which they didn't recognize either. They closed the original ticket and I should make a new ticket if I can't clear the error myself. Glad I'm not the only one who has no idea what they're doing with this piece of junk, I guess

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

The night I started hitting on my wife, I climbed a 20 foot statue drunk, only to have some Asian tourists take pictures of me. Somewhere in a cherished family album or slideshow is a random drunk american on top of a really high statue acting like a monkey.

• Options
    Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    I have discovered two terrible and dangerous things. There is a Taco Bell on my morning commute. And they serve some pretty decent breakfast burritos.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Dont worry. The minute I can travel freely again I fully tend to take enormous advantage of our unlimited PTO policy.

In unrelated news, anyone need a robotics dilettante probably ... ooh, Jan 2022ish?

sure can you clean a cat's ass in the sink?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I got rejected for that postman job. Which I am pretty confused by because I am very clearly qualified
    mcadv8ondw7k.jpg

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

What's that, it's time for a photoshop thread?

Done!

wkpaulda74bw.jpg

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I was at work
    I still feel bad since this month was the start of living on my mere 200 monthly VA disability. From Sept to Feb so it was not fun to get inventive with the roughly 40 I had after what bills I had [keeping the lights on and the water} I still thank those that helped me out around Xmas as it was a life saver

So in the previous thread I talked about how they were going to up the pay of supports and managers
    Well they nixed that in favor of on demand schedules where they will have you work certain days and times no matter what you used to have for a schedule before
    You will still get the hours you work ie 32 or 40 for full time but you might get spilt days off or weird ones. It's already gone up in flames and it was just started last night

Another thing I make fun of how the backroom manager lost her crew. They had yet again a medium load and nearly 30 people but failed to really do anything
    It's just hell working with Mensa

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    That's awful, sorry it isn't improving

I hope you can find something else soon

• Options
    Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

• Options
    You did it. You did the thing

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Oh god, here we go again.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    @Jedoc and anyone else who was interested, here it is; I wrote 9 and 3, 9's the most esoteric but it's a real hit in technical services.

UAn2DrKl.jpg

This discussion has been closed.