As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do you remember?

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    no
    tynic wrote: »
    This is my punishment for not just making a one liner and moving on.

that's what we pay you for <3

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    There's a route I want to bike near my house that rides down towards the bay and river, and back up it's other side (about a ten mile loop). But the problem is there's a long, winding, and hilly narrow two lane road I have to go through until I hit the larger highway part and fuck if I'm daunted about riding that part specifically because of the stuff being discussed in the last ten or so posts. Lots of blind spots where drivers who race down that road (its 30 mph, but so many people hit 40 easy) and it just makes me really nervous about going through it.

At least I finally got some lights for my bike last week which should help a little, but still.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    no
    The cyclist impeding traffic also does not want to be there (in large part because of the exact reaction people in this thread are having). Yell at your city councils to build more bike lanes.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    yes
    Sidewalks are for pedestrians, roads with names are for cyclists, roads with numbers are for cars

no
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Sidewalks are for pedestrians, roads with names are for cyclists, roads with numbers are for cars

Sidewalks are also for bikes, just don't bike like an asshole.

And all roads are for bikes.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    yes
    I've always thought it made way more sense for bikes to be on sidewalks. Their weight and speed is far more similar to a pedestrian than a car.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    no
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I've always thought it made way more sense for bikes to be on sidewalks. Their weight and speed is far more similar to a pedestrian than a car.

Sidewalks don't go everywhere that roads do. There's also the issue of people walking in front of bikes all the time, and a cyclist crashing into a pedestrian at 15 mp/h can and does regularly kill said pedestrian, especially the young and the frail.

no

Sidewalks don't go everywhere that roads do. There's also the issue of people walking in front of bikes all the time, and a cyclist crashing into a pedestrian at 15 mp/h can and does regularly kill said pedestrian, especially the young and the frail.

Plus, there's a lot of places without sidewalks.

But if you're on the sidewalk you shouldn't be going more than 5 mph. In my city, 10 is the limit and I think that's too fast as well.

yes

I know, I mean in general, where they're available. That aside, I have to think that a cyclist hitting a pedestrian has to be a better accident (for lack of a better term) than a car hitting a cyclist?

no

I know, I mean in general, where they're available. That aside, I have to think that a cyclist hitting a pedestrian has to be a better accident (for lack of a better term) than a car hitting a cyclist?

I was riding on the sidewalk once because I literally had to as the street was full of construction vehicles, going stupid slow because there were also a LOT of people there and this fucking woman walks right in front of me, turns to her friend as says loudly "AND THEN YOU HAVE THE PROBLEM OF THESE BIKES ON THE SIDEWALK". I happily told her where to shove it but you'd be surprised how many times that's happened since.

Like, twice!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

not even remotely true in most cities

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    yes
    Sidewalks are decidedly not for bikes, I am firmly against that.

In one part, because it's the way my home town repeatedly tried to justify not making bike lanes. In another, because I've had a whole hell of a lot of near misses from bikes while on the sidewalk.

If you can't ride your bike on the street for some reason (and let me clear, I think that's bullshit and you should always be able to ride your bike on the street), then you should dismount and walk it.

yes
    PiptheFair wrote: »

If you have numbered city streets, yeah, fair. It's a generalization I grew up with where numbered exclusively meant either major highway or freeway (and major highways I would still ride a bike on sometimes, but it's largely not my preference).

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Why don't the bicyclists just do a sick backflip over the car stuck behind them

edited September 2020

If you have numbered city streets, yeah, fair. It's a generalization I grew up with where numbered exclusively meant either major highway or freeway (and major highways I would still ride a bike on sometimes, but it's largely not my preference).

I have streets where the speed limit is 40-55mph because urban sprawl

you cannot reasonably ride a bike on those
    a. safely
    b. without violating traffic law by holding up traffic

PiptheFair on
    no

now we must battle

yes
    Magic Pink wrote: »

now we must battle

r28mwy708rlt.jpg

no
    Magic Pink wrote: »

now we must battle

r28mwy708rlt.jpg

oh please i'm not that young

no

a. safely

a good 95% of the streets i have to ride on are 20 mph. I have yet to ever see any car going that slow, it's usually 50-80

also we have several divided bike/pedestrian paths around where I live and they are clearly marked MAX 10 MPH on the bike side which is nice but they're also filled with pedestrians because they don't give a shit.

edited September 2020
    yes

a. safely

Your cities need to get some better laws then. Here it's illegal to ride on the sidewalks if you're over the age of 12.

Like, I'm sympathetic to the cyclists here, but the answer isn't to shove them onto the sidewalk, it's to build a bike lane and/or force cars to be more conscientious.

Your problem there isn't that cyclists can't keep up with cars, it's that speed limits are too high and/or cars aren't making space for cyclists.

Straightzi on

a. safely

Your cities need to get some better laws then. Here it's illegal to ride on the sidewalks if you're over the age of 12.

holding up traffic should absolutely be a moving violation

most streets in downtown have bike lanes, and in various thoroughfares

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    yes
    How about we just legalize skitchin

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
    Mysst wrote: »

skateboarding is a crime

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    yes
    Just build me a star trek teleporter already

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    yes

skateboarding is a crime

The way you do it is

ikbUJdU.jpg
    yes

a. safely

Then lower the damn speed limits so that you're not unfairly favoring one type of vehicle over another

skateboarding is a crime

The way you do it is

what the FUCK

I haven't stepped on a board in like 15 years

I'm pretty sure if I did now, I'd instantly eat shit and break about 4 bones

yes

a. safely

Then lower the damn speed limits so that you're not unfairly favoring one type of vehicle over another

so no one is happy or on time?

yes

a. safely

So that people driving cars start thinking about public transit or riding a bike themselves

yes
    Cities shouldn't be built to require you to use bikes or cars

Because bikes only work if you are physically fit

And cars are dangerous and bad for the environment

edited September 2020
    yes

a. safely

So that people driving cars start thinking about public transit or riding a bike themselves

eehh

the places I have to go are too far and have no public transport

also I don't have a bike

edit: but I'm all for better public transport

Xaquin on
    yes

a. safely

eehh

also I don't have a bike

Sell your car, you'll be able to buy a real fancy one

a. safely

viable public transit is not feasible with current technology and infrastructure in like 90% of the US my dude

were I to take the public bus to work, it would take me somewhere around 1-1/2 hours

or I could drive there in 15 minutes

also, bikes and cars are not equivocal outside of major cities

yes

a. safely

eehh

also I don't have a bike

well 2 days a week I have to work 101 miles away from my house which is a biiiiit far to bike

a. safely

eehh

also I don't have a bike

fuck off with this

edited September 2020
    yes
    Public transport should ideally be funded well enough to get you within less than 1 mile of anywhere you reasonably want to go, in a timely manner, and with accommodations for people doing shopping or laundry, and for the physically disabled and honestly for people with anxiety and sensory issues.

Granted... I don't think we'll get this anytime soon...

Tallahasseeriel on
    yes

a. safely

viable public transit is not feasible with current technology and infrastructure in like 90% of the US my dude

were I to take the public bus to work, it would take me somewhere around 1-1/2 hours

or I could drive there in 15 minutes

also, bikes and cars are not equivocal outside of major cities

I'm well aware

That still doesn't mean that bikes should be relegated to sidewalks and not treated like vehicles in their own right

If the problem is that driving is significantly better than public transit (or using another alternate form of transportation, like a bicycle), then the solution isn't to model society after driving, but rather find ways to make public transit more accessible, or biking a safer alternative

Or just make driving such a miserable fucking experience that nobody wants to do it, I'd be cool with that too

edited September 2020
    yes
    Edit: Nah, nevermind. Fuck cars, but that's all.

Straightzi on

a. safely

eehh

also I don't have a bike

fuck off with this

I'm not the one who came in here with "I want pedestrians to be in more danger of being struck by vehicles because I'm scared of killing someone with my big expensive murder machine"

cool, you're doing some strawman bad faith shit

I'm out