As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Heroquest was great when it came out. I think now, especially compared to other similar games in the price range they're selling it at, it doesn't hold up.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I now have my horizon zero dawn core game. soon we will know if this is a cool game or an excuse to buy minis of all of the robots

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I now have my horizon zero dawn core game. soon we will know if this is a cool game or an excuse to buy minis of all of the robots
    Please do keep us posted. I don't really have expectations for the game, but I wouldn't mind if the minis wound up Dark Souls-like levels of "bail." :P

• antheremantherem Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Heroquest was great when it came out. I think now, especially compared to other similar games in the price range they're selling it at, it doesn't hold up.

The thing I remember about it that set it apart from its successors was how much magic let you just outright cheat. Want to walk through a wall? Sure, go nuts buddy!

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Ha, its gets better. Someone local (Atlantic Canada) was entertaining buying in:
    u15qfto22vhh.png

Just a heads up, they fixed their international shipping to Canada so its the same price as inside the US at $30 now

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I still own my original Hero's Quest from when I was a kid (it's in OK shape), but I regret never getting any of the expansion stuff. Not that I'll ever get the game to the table again, but it would be nice to own them as well.

I have mine I think I have Keller's Keep and the Return of the witch lord in it. I really have two copies as when I was walking home from work there was a yard sale with a copy of Hero quest I bought that had Keller's Keep in it

I did say if they threw in or remade the Elf and barbarian quest packs I would buy those in a flash

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I was just talking with someone recently, and Heroquest was brought up in comparison to Mansions of Madness 2ed.

I've been down on MoM2 and think I actually prefer 1ed. Playing the Keeper was an additional fun role with strategic use of trickery and asshattery. What really disappoints me about MoM2 is that there isn't even the option for playing the Keeper. True they would have to print up more cards, but I would rather have that than yet more plastic shit I don't want.

And even beyond not being able to play as the Keeper, I miss MoM1's visible timer. You really have no clue what kind of time table you're working on in MoM2. My tilting point for losing interest was all the scenarios seemingly boiling down to blind luck in searching the correct clue markers, which would randomly either be a generic clue token or a vital piece needed to solve the scenario. You usually couldn't tell until you checked, and you didn't have time to check them all.

No option to house rule is another downside of an app-only game. Not even an option to tweak difficulty because damn the Arkham games can never seem to get player scaling right.

ANYWAYS, I was talking to a friend saying that, once you strip away the atmosphere, story, and puzzles, MoM2 has less gameplay and options to it than even Hero Quest. It's practically Betrayal at House on the Hill levels of simplistic. This would normally open the door to be a good game choice for casual groups who want a narrative experience, but the untweakable difficulty level dashes those hopes.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Maybe you have seen it before but this video is the best thing about hero quest.

https://youtu.be/Cx8sl2uC46A

Always makes me laugh.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    "The best part of Heroquest is rolling dice to move!"
    *rolls garbage*
    "The best part of Heroquest is ignoring the roll-to-move rule!"

No lie, this got me right here. 🤣

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Please do keep us posted. I don't really have expectations for the game, but I wouldn't mind if the minis wound up Dark Souls-like levels of "bail." :P

They seem pretty good, definitely better than the Kenner level of DS (as much as I love that game). Gameplay seems interesting based on the read through of the rules i did while drunk so it's thumbs up all the way

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • tyrantula22tyrantula22 Registered User regular
    Well it looks like CMON may have finally found the thing that will get me to buy one of their games myself. I've enjoyed playing their games, but never really felt the need to buy them. Definitely curious to know more.

Battletag: Tyrantula22#1623
    Steam ID
    edited September 2020
    It's zombicide with a last of us reskin and after each mission you read a card out loud that says "how could you omg who's the real monster"

Ah_Pook on
    i don't need a boardgame version of a terrible video game, thanks tho

• R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I totally jumped on the Hero Quest not-Kickstart. I not only played it to death when it was first released, but a college friend still had his copy, and we whittled away many a night on it. My wife's never played it, and in a few years my critter will be old enough to.

Speaking of '80s board games, I had actually never played Talisman and somehow ended up with the digital edition. I, uh, have been playing it nonstop for weeks.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Advanced Heroquest is where it is at.

Fabulous game.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Nips wrote: »
    "The best part of Heroquest is rolling dice to move!"
    *rolls garbage*
    "The best part of Heroquest is ignoring the roll-to-move rule!"

No lie, this got me right here. 🤣

Big part of what made me quickly quit Last Night on Earth. Briefly tried it again when we introduced the house rule "you can roll a die to move OR move 2".

Then realized it's still a crap game that funny for about 2 plays.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Also the cd it came with had good atmospheric music if I remember correctly.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited September 2020
    I remember it sounded more like 16 bit jRPG music than zombie horror.

Also, what's a "cd", grandpa?

MrBody on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of "wait what?", apparently CMON and FFG are working on a series of graphic novels based on Twilight Imperium and Android?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Speaking of "wait what?", apparently CMON and FFG are working on a series of graphic novels based on Twilight Imperium and Android?

FFG has always wanted to make those settings into broader IPs that people buy into. I'm surprised it's taken this long to get comics

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited September 2020
    I played through the Marvel Champions Rise of Red Skull campaign the other day, and it was great. Fun villains, and the campaign mechanics are well implemented. They're light, but just enough to feel fun and impactful (but not enough to feel like you're missing out playing standalone).

Shoutout to Zola, who I think is probably the hardest villain as of right now (though we'll see once Kang drops). I played against him standalone on expert and he absolutely destroyed Ms. Marvel and Iron Man. His constant stream of super minions is hard to get in front of, especially if you pair him up with a minion heavy modular encounter set. Need to adjust my approach for the salty runback. I think Ms. Marvel's Aggression deck is good, but Iron Man needs to get swapped for a Justice hero who doesn't need to spend 2-3 turns setting up before they can be effective (thinking Captain Marvel or Captain America).

Also, in other LCG news, Barkham Horror is everything.

Ah_Pook on
  • CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    How is Dungeon Universalis, since it's running a 2nd edition kickstarter? It seems like a Gloomhaven-style campaign dungeon crawler but with a bunch of options to basically turn it into an open-ended RPG system? Is it worth it for just the campaign stuff? I own plenty of RPG books if that's what I want to do.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I finally took the plunge and ordered a Muzzies crokinole board, he says he expects to ship it in November so that's not too terrible for a turn around. I saw some videos of people using like powders to make the discs slide even better, does anyone have an opinions on good powders?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Kanden wrote: »
    I finally took the plunge and ordered a Muzzies crokinole board, he says he expects to ship it in November so that's not too terrible for a turn around. I saw some videos of people using like powders to make the discs slide even better, does anyone have an opinions on good powders?

This is the powder I prefer, the "Fast Speed" Powder.

It has a better feel than the ultrafast IMO, while still providing great performance.

I just checked out Muzzie's, which board did you get? I really like the Blomidon board, though I imagine reading the lines would be harder.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • KandenKanden Registered User regular
    I grabbed the melvern tournament one, sliding the pucks around the outside seems like it'd be fun

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    I grabbed the melvern tournament one, sliding the pucks around the outside seems like it'd be fun

Ohhh very nice. that is a beautiful looking board!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Anyone who missed out on Sprawlopolis a while back can look into Agropolis now. Same basic idea, but farms. Also a six-card set that allows you to combine the two, which sounds like a nightmare.

$10 (well... $14 with shipping to US).

I'm gonna pass personally (I don't think it's different enough from Sprawl), but y'all know you've spent more on dumber things.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Played Alma Mater at game night tonight. It's was a pretty good time~ The game definitely has a bit of an end-game points salad kind of thing going on, but the economies are quite interesting (both books and money because of how they enter and leave the game), the production values are a delight, and the level of variety seems like it gives the game some legs. I wouldn't say it's revolutionary, but it's an absolutely solid modern euro.
    Also I suppose the iconography could have been a bit better, but like ... that's board games as a hobby I guess. :P

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    How is Dungeon Universalis, since it's running a 2nd edition kickstarter? It seems like a Gloomhaven-style campaign dungeon crawler but with a bunch of options to basically turn it into an open-ended RPG system? Is it worth it for just the campaign stuff? I own plenty of RPG books if that's what I want to do.

I'm eyeing this as well. BGG seems mostly positive on the existing version.

edited October 2020

Yeah, I'm grabbing it too. They really hooked me in with vampires and demons as playable races and "underworld sorcerer" as a character class. Plus few minis means it'll ship quick.

Magic Pink on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I have ALL the 7th Continent and have played such a small portion of it (purely due to lack of time/space, I absolutely loved what I have played), but the FOMO is still strong for 7th Citadel.

Curse whatever devious bastard came up with the idea of of Kickstarter exclusive content.

Maybe if I think of them as a retirement investment?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    FOMO

I've had this tug at me a few times during this pandemic, and I've had to remind myself that I'm throwing a lot of money at potentially really, really cool games when I've already have a backlog of about a year's worth of game purchases (and a couple more on the way) that I have yet to play with a group because we haven't been able to meet in person.

I've started to make myself believe that when my brain is over-riding everything with the FOMO feeling, what it's really try to do is deliver a signal that's saying, "Pass".

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »
    FOMO

I've had this tug at me a few times during this pandemic, and I've had to remind myself that I'm throwing a lot of money at potentially really, really cool games when I've already have a backlog of about a year's worth of game purchases (and a couple more on the way) that I have yet to play with a group because we haven't been able to meet in person.

I've started to make myself believe that when my brain is over-riding everything with the FOMO feeling, what it's really try to do is deliver a signal that's saying, "Pass".

Yeah, I had one bad week where I backed a few projects after somebody talked about something that looked really cool in here, but otherwise I've made myself hold off and stay away from kickstarter and coolstuff and all of my other usual avenues for obtaining new games.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Nothing good is Kickstarter exclusive forever. If it's good, it'll make its way to retail eventually. But it's probably not actually good, so you can afford to miss it.

Ketar wrote: »
    ironzerg wrote: »
    FOMO

Yeah, I had one bad week where I backed a few projects after somebody talked about something that looked really cool in here, but otherwise I've made myself hold off and stay away from kickstarter and coolstuff and all of my other usual avenues for obtaining new games.

Yea I've cut way WAY back on new stuff. My wife violently dislikes learning new games these days, and I never see other people, so what's the point? Im in on Marvel Champions, and the trickle of new stuff there helps assuage the ever present urge to buy new games.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah. My board game collecting has scaled way back to basically maintaining games I already have. I think my going all in on Terraforming Mars was the biggie. I have picked up a couple smaller games to support their publishers (Cindr and Gladius), but that's about it.

Speaking of continuing existing games! Stonemaier is unveiling the Oceania expansion to Wingspan over this week on their facebook group (and I assume other social media). First thing up? New player mats! Looks like there are some new bonuses/mechanics that required updating the board. I don't have my original with me to compare, though.

Copied verbatem from the facebook post:
    October 1: New Player Mats

Before I dive into a major component in the Wingspan Oceania expansion, I want to briefly mention that we're currently running a huge charity auction with 10 signed advance copies of Wingspan Oceania and 10 sets of special Meeplesource Oceania bird tokens (among other rewards) at stake for the winning bidders. Even if you're not interested in bidding, it's a way to discover 10 amazing content creators in the board game community. Check it out here: https://boardgamegeek.com/.../stonemaier-games-2020...

Onward to Oceania! When Elizabeth and I were originally brainstorming ideas for this expansion, we kept coming back to the habitats themselves. We discussed the possibility of extending the mat to the right or at the bottom, among other ideas. But through Elizabeth's deliberate design process, she found that adding to the mat created a host of other issues and inconsistencies, so instead she redesigned the core mat itself while keeping in the spirit of the original game.

The result is the new player mats you see here. If you play with Oceania birds (which I'll talk about soon), you must use the new player mats; you can even use the mats in games of Wingspan without other elements of Oceania. The backs of the mats are a slightly different shade of faux leather so you can differentiate them from the original mats when they're closed.

What's different about these mats? Elizabeth focused on progression--every core benefit in each habitat is objectively better than the previous benefit. This actually resulted in more parallel elements--in column 1, you either get 1 food, 1 egg, or 1 card. The next three columns give you 2 of the desired benefit, then 3, then 4 when you complete a row.

Take a look at the bonuses, as they've changed quite a bit. Unlike the original mats, they now appear in the first column. Many of the bonuses offer a choice in the cost--in the grasslands, you can spend either a card from hand OR a food to lay an extra egg. There's even an action in the grasslands that gives you this choice twice.

There are now also a few bonuses you can trigger before you gain the primary benefit. Up in the forest in the second and fourth columns, you can spend a food to reset the birdfeeder before selecting 2 dice. There's a similar bonus in the wetlands that allows you to reset the bird tray. Players and playtesters have asked for such options for a while now, and Elizabeth found this way of integrating them into the core interface.

Overall, there are a LOT more icons on this player mat than the original. We didn't want to overwhelm players with information, something we discussed a lot during the development process. It helps that you only ever need to focus on the leftmost exposed space in each habitat. If you're introducing new players to Wingspan, though, I'd recommend using the original mats.

I'm ignoring one element of the new mats for now (that pink icon you can see in the wetlands and on the far left), but I'll discuss that tomorrow!

lLYjnmSl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    I hope the expansion adds a little bit of refinement to Wingspan. I really enjoy it, as does my wife. But I don't know if it's because we've played so many games together, but it does start to feel like a game that's a mile-wide but an inch deep. We bought the European expansion to add more bird cards to the mix, but what it made me think was that Wingspan doesn't need more cards. It seems to only dilute the game, as there's some pretty significant differences in the power level of certain birds. So much so that adding more cards doesn't feel like it makes the game better.

With this expansion, I hope there's some refinement to the actual gameplay. To be fair, too, I don't know exactly what I'm asking for. Wingspan is a beautiful game that's relatively easy to teach and easy to play. It does a good job of making players feel like they're part of the game, until the final scores get tallied (as I mentioned in another post), but there's just something missing in my mind to put it over the top.

Fry wrote: »
    Nothing good is Kickstarter exclusive forever. If it's good, it'll make its way to retail eventually. But it's probably not actually good, so you can afford to miss it.

the real trick is realizing that even if a thing is good and stays kickstarter exclusive forever and you can literally never get it... it just doesnt matter at all. there are so many great games, just get a different one.