As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quit your [job] thread

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    b0ey8rngnz1a.png

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Holy shit #9.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    @Jedoc and anyone else who was interested, here it is; I wrote 9 and 3, 9's the most esoteric but it's a real hit in technical services.

UAn2DrKl.jpg

to hell with you imgur block, you are the bane of my entire existance

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh god, here we go again.

MY POWER SURGES

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Adobe is silly goose.

expendable on
    Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    oh yeah, and speaking of Adobe is the fucking worst.

My father in law had a video with some terrible green screen effects and he wanted me to edit it. I have actually been using the video editor in Blender in the past year or so because it's free and pretty decent, so I figured that if I was going to do a Professional Job (TM), then I should get a subscription to After Effects. But then after I was done and went to go cancel those fuckers at Adobe added an "early termination fee" or whatever the fuck they call it which was like two months of the subscription on top of the original month I bought. I thought I could just sign up for Creative Cloud whenever I want and cancel whenever I want but they got this fucking convoluted pricing scheme that gouges you at every opportunity.

On top of all that the job turned out to be a disappointment. Although AE had some pretty decent algorithms that smoothed out some of the bad effects ultimately, it wasn't much (the raw video was pretty bad with a green bed sheet blowing in the wind for a "green screen".) I mean I could have probably have manually cleaned up the worst of the problems with Blender without ever paying a dime to Adobe.

tl;dr. Fuck Adobe.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    I had a...surreal?...schadenfruedearrific?...bemused?...moment last night after futzing about the kitchen making dinner. While waiting for something to boil I was browsing the facebook marketplace and suddenly I saw a former co-worker from my previous job at the travel agency posting a listing in the marketplace for a ton of office furniture and various computer equipment (monitors keyboards etc).

Recognizing that cheap white ikea garbage I suddenly realized she was selling off all of the furniture for the office I was based at. I remember spending entire weekends alone assembling those desks, setting up each desk and then wiring said desks with Cat 5 and power because our company was too goddamn cheap to hire extra help to get this all set up (we're talking 50-60 desks here, so not a small job and multiple weekends of overtime) and now seeing it being sold for pennies on the dollar elicits a...I dunno what to think frankly.

On one hand that job sent me into my current bout of high blood pressure that I'm still dealing with 2 years later so my initial read was "serves the bastards right" but after messaging around from others I'm still in contact with, I come to find out the company basically laid off 70% of the workforce and closed both offices I was based at while having the remaining folks work from home for who knows how long so that kind of tempered my anger somewhat. Then I realized if I hadn't taken the gamble to jump at this new job in Washington I would have probably been swept up in those layoffs in the first place so I also feel relief and a bit giddy that I dodged that nuclear bullet as well.

Strange things you think about when you're boiling ravioli at 7:30 on a Thursday evening I tell ya.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My promotion has officially been announced and my salary increased 🎉

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Liiya wrote: »

awww yissss

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Nice! New title?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

My father in law had a video with some terrible green screen effects and he wanted me to edit it. I have actually been using the video editor in Blender in the past year or so because it's free and pretty decent, so I figured that if I was going to do a Professional Job (TM), then I should get a subscription to After Effects. But then after I was done and went to go cancel those fuckers at Adobe added an "early termination fee" or whatever the fuck they call it which was like two months of the subscription on top of the original month I bought. I thought I could just sign up for Creative Cloud whenever I want and cancel whenever I want but they got this fucking convoluted pricing scheme that gouges you at every opportunity.

On top of all that the job turned out to be a disappointment. Although AE had some pretty decent algorithms that smoothed out some of the bad effects ultimately, it wasn't much (the raw video was pretty bad with a green bed sheet blowing in the wind for a "green screen".) I mean I could have probably have manually cleaned up the worst of the problems with Blender without ever paying a dime to Adobe.

tl;dr. Fuck Adobe.

The fuck is an early cancellation for creative cloud. They're not renting you an apartment.

steam_sig.png

tl;dr. Fuck Adobe.

The fuck is an early cancellation for creative cloud. They're not renting you an apartment.

"Our budget projections predict that everyone who signs up will use this for at least three months, so if we don't force reality to match this hypothetical our shareholders are gonna be pissy"

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

Nice! New title?

Yep! Whiskey is on me tonight.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    IT has restored RDP to me so I can stop with the jank workarounds I came up with to telework.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

tl;dr. Fuck Adobe.

Because fuck you pay me that's why

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    can I tell everyone about dumpstermancy and the sanitation business

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

tl;dr. Fuck Adobe.

Because fuck you pay me that's why

fine jesus here's a 20 now get out of my living room

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

Sure!

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »

Something something strongest steel...something

x3x18n08kfks.jpg

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Current work quandary: How many non-conformances on this internal ISO audit is just being a dick?

They're all minor things and the other two are where we've changed methods and not documentation to actually improve processes. The last one was minor and has probably already been corrected but I don't know how long it was out.

Pro: Current boss is unlikely to be future boss much longer because he keeps trying to hide things from Owners because it might upset them. Burnishing my rep as someone who will just flat out tell them unpleasant things so we can fix them wouldn't hurt.

Con: Being a dick.

Bonus: May put me back on the reserve list of auditors. Suppose it could do just the opposite though.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Always always ALWAYS document non-compliances no matter how minor. I'd rather be a dick than somebody hang something on me no matter how minor.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Document everything at work, all of the time, forever.

that time of day when you achieve a milestone but it's too early in the afternoon to simply rest on your laurels.
    normally, in an office scenario, this would be where I'd get up and go annoy somebody.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    that time of day when you achieve a milestone but it's too early in the afternoon to simply rest on your laurels.
    normally, in an office scenario, this would be where I'd get up and go annoy somebody.

Well, if you consider the forums your office, then

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Baidol wrote: »

for you guys, I don't even have to get up.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

for you guys, I don't even have to get up.

I annoy people on the forums even at midnight I'm so dedicated to that job

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Shitposting is my passion.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    If I could make a livin' outta trollin' you
    I'd be a millionaire in a week or two

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • schussschuss Registered User regular

That's what I call "industry research" time

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I got rejected for that postman job. Which I am pretty confused by because I am very clearly qualified
    mcadv8ondw7k.jpg

I’m sorry!

I’m also curious as to how many US forumers understood this post...

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited October 2020
    Nope! I did not. But I like cute cats.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I woke him up to take that photo, and then he followed me around squeaking at me and making me feel very guilty

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    One of my co-workers (who didn't strike) went through all my tickets and added a "Bucketman can you please update these?" which is really annoying. I asked him why he did this and he was like "Well you hadn't updated any of them for nearly 2 full weeks!"

Yeah man, wonder why. What event could have caused me to not updated my tickets for 8 working days? What possibly could it have been? I fucking wonder.

• FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

I only want to see this for any changes to the USPS.

Huh...
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I was about to ask if you enclosed a photo of the black and white cat with your resume

(Canada got Postman Pat and I fucking loved it)

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    edited September 2020
    hmm
    my manager sent an email to me and somebody else which made her sound like an idiot, but it was for the purpose of making a connection between me and some other people.
    I didn't say anything because I figured butting in with corrections would only make things worse
    now the other person has very politely said "excuse me what" and I'm debating whether or not to get involved.

I kind of just want to shut it all down, it was a dumb idea initially, which I told her not to do. But .. gonna have to figure out some real tactful email jujitsu here.

edit: Ok I have crafted a finely tuned email which hopefully salvages some egos, eliminates confusion, and also (optimally) stops me being tarred with the idiot brush by proxy.

Or I've made a major misjudgement and my manager is now my enemy for life. We'll find out!

tynic on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    b0ey8rngnz1a.png

1a9nhsk4wkko.png

DarkPrimus on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Escalation pathway detected

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    god i forgot about that completely insane diagram picture and how many unbelievably amazing memes/offshoots it generated

This discussion has been closed.