As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Mobster Energy

2»

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    When I hear "catoblepas", I think of some siege weapon, like a mobile trebuchet or onager. Dunno why, the sound of the word just fits.

When you hear it? ...is hearing "catoblepas" a common occurrence for you? Or an ever occurrence?

I hear it every time I see the word. Like, over and over in this thread. I have to say it out loud because it's such a weird word to try to pronounce. It's like dinosaur names.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Djiem wrote: »
    When I hear "catoblepas", I think of some siege weapon, like a mobile trebuchet or onager. Dunno why, the sound of the word just fits.

When you hear it? ...is hearing "catoblepas" a common occurrence for you? Or an ever occurrence?

It's been a D&D monster since the first Monster Manual. I don't know if it was ever popular. Medusae and basilisks seem to get used more. It might just be because nobody knows how to say "catoblepas".

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The catoblepas is also one of the many monsters that got stolen for the early Final Fantasy games and continued to recur thereafter. It's even a summon in V.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    The catoblepas is also one of the many monsters that got stolen for the early Final Fantasy games and continued to recur thereafter. It's even a summon in V.

Fortunately D&D had already stolen Catoblepas from Pliny the Elder, so Final Fantasy didn't have to change that one.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Kred wrote: »
    Monster cables have sued Monster.com (the job site) over the name. They even tried to sue Blue Jeans Cable because he sold standard RCA style audio cables, that Monster claimed they had a patent on. Problem with that was the owner of Blue Jeans Cable used to be a lawyer, that specialized in copyright law. He published his response to Monster and it was hilarious.

Anyway, must be something about that name that makes companies go crazy.

It should surprise no one that Monster Energy drink's owners were sued by Monster cables. Now the former have become the, er, monsters.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772