As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV]Thread: Have you guys seen this new show, Lost? It’s an Anime

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    yes, actually

it took a bit for suits to get on track

everyone went insane, fashion-wise, in the 70's and it took like two decades before the fever broke

big collars need to come back, imo

be the change you want to see etc.

ain't gonna see my tailor till the pandemic's over!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I wanna bring Jncos back

shoulda never let them go away

One heavy wind is all it took. They were basically parachutes with a button fly

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love big lapels but they're tough to tailor correctly for the well-endowed, boobily speaking.

guess it is my lot to spend my life gazing enviously at lean women in tuxes.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I love big lapels but they're tough to tailor correctly for the well-endowed, boobily speaking.

guess it is my lot to spend my life gazing enviously at lean women in tuxes.

Ah, my favorite David Sedaris book.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Hah. Star Trek Lower Decks had a proper Star Trek cameo.
    Actual John De Lancie Q!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2020
    This week’s Masked Singer has the single most obvious reveal ever.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    what we do in the shadows
    goddamn I could sit and watch people do impressions of mark proksch for...well, probably forever

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    Cobra Kai Season 2, Episode 6
    The fact that Daniel is offering free lessons kinda inclines me to root against him. He's only able to do that because he's rich. Don't forget he tried to sabotage Cobra Kai in the first season by getting the landlord to raise the rent on every business in the strip mall.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    when watching cobra kai, rember that daniel larusso has always been the villain of the franchise

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    goddamn I could sit and watch people do impressions of mark proksch for...well, probably forever

What We Do in the Shadows is not a perfect show, but Colin Robinson is a Perfect Character

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ok Im not entirely sold on this being canon but the joke at the end of this clip killed me
    https://youtu.be/bGRlBNSezFc

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Actual John De Lancie Q!

This was the first tolerable, bordering on good, episode. I hope the series becomes more this and less the first 7 episodes.

Also they go to Romulus so I guess this takes place after 90s Trek but before the supernova?

Edit: oh yeah except for that one joke at the end of the other episode which was also fantastic.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    My thing is Final Space does the whole tight knit crew thing and the Orville does Star Trek but slightly more casual and both do it better so Im kind of set. Also I dont like any of the characters

• PeenPeen Registered User regular

What We Do in the Shadows is not a perfect show, but Colin Robinson is a Perfect Character

We were halfway through the first episode, the first time either of us had seen any of the show, and my wife turned to me and said "he's your favorite isn't he" and I said yes. I love Colin Robinson.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't know that I have a favorite, I like all of them

• FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So I've started watching Raised by Wolves. I've seen two episodes (I had to pause because there are so many hints and mythos references that I need to unpack) and my hypemeter is right now at 11 out of 10 Xenomorphs.

I don't want any real spoilers, but can someone tell me if I should maintain this hype level or prepare myself for Lost level disappointment?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The season finale is next week and the two episodes that dropped this weekend are imo the best

idk if I'd say it's the best Ridley Scott project in a long time, but it's the one I've felt most satisfied by in a long time, and a Lot would have to go wrong in the last episode to really change that

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    ridley scott has had a rough decade except for the martian

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    So I've started watching Raised by Wolves. I've seen two episodes (I had to pause because there are so many hints and mythos references that I need to unpack) and my hypemeter is right now at 11 out of 10 Xenomorphs.

I don't want any real spoilers, but can someone tell me if I should maintain this hype level or prepare myself for Lost level disappointment?

Mythos like Cthulhu?

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »

Mythos like Cthulhu?

Well. Some. Pretty cryptic ones too. But mostly I used it in the more generalized sense of mythos. References from numberology, obvious and hidden bible references, pre-christian religions, crusader myths etc.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Actual John De Lancie Q!

This was the first tolerable, bordering on good, episode. I hope the series becomes more this and less the first 7 episodes.

Also they go to Romulus so I guess this takes place after 90s Trek but before the supernova?

Edit: oh yeah except for that one joke at the end of the other episode which was also fantastic.

Considering they have mentioned Picard and the Enterprise as being actively out there doing stuff and the flashback to Mariner on DS9 with the TNG Movies/Late DS9 uniforms, I figure it has to be a couple of years after Nemesis.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Actual John De Lancie Q!

Considering they have mentioned Picard and the Enterprise as being actively out there doing stuff and the flashback to Mariner on DS9 with the TNG Movies/Late DS9 uniforms, I figure it has to be a couple of years after Nemesis.

They’ve mentioned Picard making wine, lots of wine

So yeah that sounds about right

sig.gif
    They mention the Titan in one episode which is a ship that doesnt exist if Picards depiction of Riker is canon

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular

I’d say it’s worth watching. It has ups and downs but it hasn’t gone like off track or anything yet.

Kirk A. Moore is a super nice, super funny guy, and this is a pretty fun concept for a show!

• borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    We got the free year of apple TV and are checking out Ted Lasso, the show where a college football coach gets hired to coach (tank) a premier league team.
    We’ve watched the 9 available episodes and I’ve decided it’s the best show on TV, at least until Better Call Saul comes back. People should absolutely check it out - don’t let the crazy premise dissuade you.

Looking forward to the finale on Friday and then season 2 whenever it gets finished.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Watching some X-Files.

Can you imagine having to go through microfiche for hours to find census records on a stretchy liver man?

Not a search box to be found!

The 90s were scary!

ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Watching some X-Files.

Can you imagine having to go through microfiche for hours to find census records on a stretchy liver man?

The 90s were scary!

Not as Scary as the guy playing the stretchy liver man

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Watching some X-Files.

The 90s were scary!

Microfiche is terrifying, because if you put it in the wrong drawer it's just gone forever. My first library job was the night shift in a university government documents department, and an evergreen task was flipping through the microfiche drawers looking for misfiled envelopes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular

I was pretty ehhh about the first episode, but I've since binged through the rest of the episodes this weekend and I've completely turned around on it. It's absolutely one of my favourite shows of the year.

Also something about the title sequence just scares the absolute shit out of me.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Watching some X-Files.

The 90s were scary!

Not as Scary as the guy playing the stretchy liver man

Toomey, monster in the show, monster all around.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Tooms

I just saw an ad for a show on Peacock called Noughts + Crosses where the premise is that Africa colonized Europe 700 years ago and whites are a suppressed underclass.

Like, I don't know what to think of this. Has anyone seen it?

Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I just saw an ad for a show on Peacock called Noughts + Crosses where the premise is that Africa colonized Europe 700 years ago and whites are a suppressed underclass.

Haven't seen it, but it SOUNDS godawful

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

I haven't seen the show, but the books it's based on are extremely well-regarded and near the top of my reading list. Unless the producers have completely fucked up, the story thoughtfully points out the stupidity of racism by framing it in unfamiliar ways rather than just using the hook for surface-level shock value.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    edited September 2020

Haven't seen it, but it SOUNDS godawful

Looking into it a bit, apparently it's based on a series of British YA novels written by a black woman that were fairly popular over in the UK and the people in charge of making the show are black, so I dunno. Maybe this is less of a charged premise for a piece of media over in the UK than the US.

I do know I'm most likely not going to subscribe to Peacock just because I'm curious, though.

Hexmage-PA on
    I just really hate "What if colonized people were, themselves, colonizers????" One of my pet peeve genre tropes.

It does this inadvertent thing where it makes it seem like colonization just happens, like it's natural and unavoidable, like the only variable is who does it first. It also (and again, inadvertently) justifies the paranoid fantasies of racists. One of the big fears racists have, one of their justifications for suppression of rights is, "If we give our victims too much power, they will do to us what we did to them."

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The idea that any other people, in our place, would have done the exact same thing feels like it excuses and rationalizes colonization and oppression as a natural course of action.

Like I get that in this case the creative team is black, but it feels like a thing that would be created to assuage white guilt.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Now I kinda want a dark comedy where white people panic so much about the other side doing what they would do, they accidentally colonize themselves, while everyone else is just confused about them and trying to go about their day. Tucker and Dale style

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Now I kinda want a dark comedy where white people panic so much about the other side doing what they would do, they accidentally colonize themselves, while everyone else is just confused about them and trying to go about their day. Tucker and Dale style

The Gang Gets Colonized

04xkcuvaav19.png
This discussion has been closed.