As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This Diablo thread is like 800x600, bleh

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I hope it is actually the all encompassing "pickup radius" and not just "gold pickup radius". Total pickup radius is good, gold pickup radius is... virtually pointless. As pointed out, your pet will pickup gold anyways, and additionally, Rifting builds that are setup for gold farming will use avarice band anyways which massively increases your pickup radius.

I'm kinda mixed on it. I usually hit a point in the season where I need a LOT of gold to keep empowering rifts (I think that is the term) to get extra rolls, so that I can then infuse the gems into my gear. I usually set up a gold find rifting build that can make 100-200 million gold per rift. the 50% goldfind you get from paragons helps a lot with this.

Overall, extra pickup radius is going to be more useful - being able to grab those health globes and purple globes in GRs more easily is a tangible benefit. But thats only IF it applies to all pickup radius.

Al_wat on
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    I don't see why they would do something as worthless as making it only gold pickup radius. It's gotta be the real thing.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I would assume so, yeah, just odd they worded it that way; but since there isn't any gold-only radius in the game (afaik?) it probably can't be anything else.

But even 5 yards grabs orbs in rifts that much easier, so even builds that don't benefit specifically, will still get that bit of efficiency and less rounding up orbs, which works for me!

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited September 2020
    Oh my lord, I'm watching Bluddshed's reading of the patch notes and it's early, and he's just starting the seasonal buff stuff.

Reads out loud "This clone will randomly have 1 out of 3 predetermined builds." Even highlights "randomly have 1 out of 3".

Asks "So I guess you get to pick maybe?" And then proceeds to speculate on the basis of picking the build. That he just read specifically says random.

Dude. Dude. :lol:

EDIT: "It can't be random if it's predetermined". Listen, I know I certainly have my moments where I misread, misinterpret, or read too much into something; but dude. :rotate:

The Dude With Herpes on

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Did they say anything about D2 remaster recently?

Oh my lord, I'm watching Bluddshed's reading of the patch notes and it's early, and he's just starting the seasonal buff stuff.

Reads out loud "This clone will randomly have 1 out of 3 predetermined builds." Even highlights "randomly have 1 out of 3".

Asks "So I guess you get to pick maybe?" And then proceeds to speculate on the basis of picking the build. That he just read specifically says random.

Dude. Dude. :lol:

EDIT: "It can't be random if it's predetermined". Listen, I know I certainly have my moments where I misread, misinterpret, or read too much into something; but dude. :rotate:
    Has he heard of dice before?

urahonky wrote: »

Have they ever actually said anything about a D2 remaster? I thought it was all rumor still.

Maybe with the blizzcon online, whenever that is happening? Feb I think?

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

Have they ever actually said anything about a D2 remaster? I thought it was all rumor still.

Maybe with the blizzcon online, whenever that is happening? Feb I think?

Ahh boo. I thought it was confirmed.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I think some kind of talisman could be a fun way to eat up all the extra crafting materials that we've got

Didn't their previous attempts at remastering old games turn out questionable results?
    I seem to remember some pretty widespread disappointment with the WarCraft 3 reworking not living up to hopes, expectations or promises.

But the SC remaster was well liked, so for now they're batting .500!

• NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    I think I heard they came back around on that to some degree? Not sure, I ended up not getting it.

As usual, the gears are turning for next season.

Crusader might steal the season for many, with freedom to use the huge norvalds buff in any build on top of set boosts. Bombsader will be back too.

Also Zombie bears!? If the numbers are right on that I think a lot of classic docs will be pleased.

And of course, good ol’ frozen orb wiz. Another big skill boost on wiz spike + 25% chance to cast an extra one + still having an aether walker via the bonus cube slot.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    PTR coming at a good time... my son and I had grinded up a couple more HC chars and I had just gotten the complete set of gear for my necro and went to test it on a Torment 15 rift but forgot to spawn my simulacrums when I entered so insta died. RIP 33 hours of play lol.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    PTR coming at a good time... my son and I had grinded up a couple more HC chars and I had just gotten the complete set of gear for my necro and went to test it on a Torment 15 rift but forgot to spawn my simulacrums when I entered so insta died. RIP 33 hours of play lol.

That is both awesome and sad. The feeling of "aw man!" when you brain fart and die.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    Any of you Diablo regulars played Hades? I'm hearing its pretty good but wondering if it'll scratch the same kind of itch that keeps me coming back to Diablo 3.

steam_sig.png
    Incindium wrote: »
    Any of you Diablo regulars played Hades? I'm hearing its pretty good but wondering if it'll scratch the same kind of itch that keeps me coming back to Diablo 3.

Interesting. I have never heard of this game so went to look it up. The videos make it look interesting. I didn't see if there was any multiplayer though.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Yeah Hades is just single player.

steam_sig.png
    Yes! Hades is very, very good.

It doesn’t scratch a loot itch, but action, randomness, varying builds... very much so.

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    If you enjoyed Deadcells, you will love Hades.

Highly recommended.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

Quarterly update is out and a little lighter, but the sorceress’ enchantment system sounds like it has potential.

Basically, they want part of class identity to be unique systems, like the barbarians arsenal of weapons. Sorceress will have the ability to slot skills as “enchantments”, which appears for now to be 3 extra skill slots that you cannot cast but provide an effect. Examples given were enchanting ball lightning so it appears instead of crackling energy procs, or enchanting meteor so they automatically drop on nearby enemies every so often.

Also touches on the skill & passive tree, quite literally now it seems, and how either of these are still early and not to be taken as final.

Also sounds like angelic/demonic is going back to the drawing board, with more on that and endgame progression coming next quarter.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    That's D4 stuff? Is there a good writeup on what we know so far? Is it in the OP? I didn't read the OP

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Ringo wrote: »
    That's D4 stuff? Is there a good writeup on what we know so far? Is it in the OP? I didn't read the OP

Some stuff is, but I haven’t updated in a while. There’s also only quarterly updates and at least part of it is already rolled back. They have links to each on the official D4 site- it’s worth checking out there because they have visuals of the UI and skill effects.

Noggin wrote: »
    Quarterly update is out and a little lighter, but the sorceress’ enchantment system sounds like it has potential.

Basically, they want part of class identity to be unique systems, like the barbarians arsenal of weapons. Sorceress will have the ability to slot skills as “enchantments”, which appears for now to be 3 extra skill slots that you cannot cast but provide an effect. Examples given were enchanting ball lightning so it appears instead of crackling energy procs, or enchanting meteor so they automatically drop on nearby enemies every so often.

Also touches on the skill & passive tree, quite literally now it seems, and how either of these are still early and not to be taken as final.

Also sounds like angelic/demonic is going back to the drawing board, with more on that and endgame progression coming next quarter.

Sadly I'm just here to read what you guys view on the D4 news. Mainly because it is all noise to me right now since I am paying less and less attention to detail when it comes to Diablo. I want to be excited, but after D3 I am going to just base my enjoyment after playing the game. To give a reference, I played the D3 Beta a lot and ended up not caring to play it at launch. It just didn't grab me enough and it sounds like I was lucky to not play it till the expansion came out.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I'm highly skeptical of the new skill tree (literally) system, but I can wait until it is more finalized and we get a better idea of how it works in actual gameplay, before I get too concerned about it.

On the surface, it feels unnecessarily large in scope, almost like they're trying to compete with PoE or the like, instead of make their own space. But, it could simply be a lot less complicated than it initially appears, which would make me wonder why they felt the need to make it appear complicated.

I just don't want them to waste time retreading the illusory "depth" of the skill trees from early WoW or Diablo 2. You were no less locked into specific builds in either case, and the picking of points was functionally pointless once the "best" was determined; itemization followed gameplay and just reinforced that lack of choice. Particularly when earlier in the blog today, they mentioned reassessing itemization to avoid people needing to carry around a bunch of extra gear for situational needs; but this sort of tree skill system looks like it'd have the same end-result, just with skills instead of gear (resulting in, like WoW, them needing to implement a system to save builds to easily switch between. Though, I guess they haven't said for sure if you'll be able to respec or if it'll be locked like D2. It seems like the entire genre has moved away from the latter, though; so I find it hard to believe they would actually attempt that.

• WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    I actually really liked the skill system from Diablo 3. The runes and pools of passives were both a really fun way to do things. I like the idea of skill trees, but I haven't had fun with a game that possessed them in a while.

• shergakshergak Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of skill trees for more complexity if you let me respec whenever I want.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Really complex skill trees and really easy respec feel a bit at odds though. Making loadouts in D3 worked so great because the skill choices at least were so dirt simple. So it feels like they would need some hoops to jump through for respec to work with such a system, lest you spend more time in town than in dungeons.

• HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Spending more time in town, than in a dungeon I think is missing the main point.

Which is, respecs should not be limited, ala: path of exile / Diablo 2. Where the resource cost of a full respec means that leveling a new character is the most effective use of time to try a new build.

I want to be able to try any build of that class, with the ONE character of that class. I don't want to have to level up 7 or 8 barbarians or what have you to try each barbarian spec.

Respect my time. In no ARPG I have played, has the "leveling up" part of the game been the "Good part" of the game. Having to continually level up characters just to try a new spec is awful 1990's game design.

HexDex on
    If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    Spending more time in town, than in a dungeon I think is missing the main point.

Which is, respecs should not be limited, ala: path of exile / Diablo 2. Where the resource cost of a full respec means that leveling a new character is the most effective use of time to try a new build.

I want to be able to try any build of that class, with the ONE character of that class. I don't want to have to level up 7 or 8 barbarians or what have you to try each barbarian spec.

Respect my time. In no ARPG I have played, has the "leveling up" part of the game been the "Good part" of the game. Having to continually level up characters just to try a new spec is awful 1990's game design.

I wholeheartedly agree but I think there is a big population that loves being locked into a build for some reason. That skill tree they showed for D4 makes me excited.

It's just the Rift MMO skill tree. It's fun there, but that's because you have three of them at a time.

Depth can be fine and good, and people love to knock diablo as being too shallow, but there’s tangible benefit to d3 being pick up and go.

You just party up and kill monsters with your friends.

As upgrades are found and character changes needed, it takes a moment and you’re back to it. You found everything you need for the other build and want to switch to? Great, just do it, not “see you guys tomorrow after I re-level”.

https://youtu.be/8Y7msRX4lZQ

Bomberman returns

What is the buff he is getting from using Steed Charge on cooldown?

Norvald’s Fervor flail/shield combo.
    Gain 100% 400% increased damage while using Steed Charge and for 5 seconds after it ends.
    Increases the duration of Steed Charge by 2 seconds. In addition, killing an enemy reduces the remaining cooldown of Steed Charge by 1 second.

Ooh, that's a lot of multipliers.

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »

This was one of the design failures of D3, though: they planned for leveling up to be a thing you did once and then forgot about, so it shouldn't have been a problem that the skill unlocks happen in exactly the same order every time... but it turns out you can only make a loot based game last for so long without having most players either tap out because they never find everything exciting, or quit because they got everything they wanted.

So they introduced seasonal resets, but still had the same dreadfully boring leveling system that you now have to slog through like three times a year per class you want to play.

I'm all for respecs, just as long as it doesn't make leveling a boring waste of time.

I honestly think having the skill runes be a part of the loot system would've been cool, which is what they were originally going for in D3. You can see echoes of how that might've played out with set or leggos giving you free runes. I just think having a base set of runes would've worked and then instead of charms, you get runes drops that increase in power as they go up the rarity scale. Maybe you can only have X equipped and only some of each rarity. I'd like that kind of framework to hang stuff on because then you could iterate on it down the road to make things interesting. It seems like they're doing something like that only for the sorceress though.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I'm tempted for a DMO wizard build, but it's a slower playstyle when certain people and builds want to just fly around as fast as possible :)

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    I tried a few builds the other day. Bombsader is a bit more engaging than before so that’s good, and it’s also absurdly good. I have to imagine the numbers will come down.

While norvalds is a good fit for bombs, I think it’s much too strong as a generic power. Just as deathwish has almost entirely redefined wizard as a channeling class ( and still does for non-orb, seems an oversight given the ES change ), crusader will now be mashing horsey constantly regardless of build... at least for this season. This makes me way less excited for the other sets. Juggling akarat, iron skin, steed, FoH, and HF for example, is madness.

Likewise, Hydra was fun enough before, I really don’t think it should be a 4 button build. ( hydra + generator + blizzard + channel for bonus slot deathwish... )

I tried zombie bears and it felt very weak. They’re also much slower and shorter range than I remember. I think it needs more than just numbers to adapt to changes in playstyle, and even needs bigger numbers as well.

I didn’t try bone spear because I just played it, but it should be very strong. Probably makes for a frustrating season start though, haunted visions is extremely required.

Season 22:
    I’ll have to see how everything makes it out of PTR, but so far I think orb wiz, another run of PoJ monk, or frenzy/WW barb.

Are we doing hardcore again? I’d be down either way.

I might chicken out and go softcore so people don't have to keep on power leveling me every day. But you know, it was at least different so I'm game either way.

oosik_betsuni.png
    It seemed to me like the hardcore / softcore split contributed to people dropping off sooner, but that could also be coincidental and more related to how many times we’ve done basically the same journey.

Maybe I just think that because I was less involved, but I think I’ll have more time for this one.

This discussion has been closed.