As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Getting the rocket launcher that fires 5 rockets feels... well it feels really good, actually.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My big hangup right now is forgetting to use the cast

It seems fairly build dependent, though I have been using it more since I got the skill that gives you bonus damage on enemies that it’s stuck on

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Getting the rocket launcher that fires 5 rockets feels... well it feels really good, actually.
    That's my favourite of the Greek myths

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    My big hangup right now is forgetting to use the cast

It seems fairly build dependent, though I have been using it more since I got the skill that gives you bonus damage on enemies that it’s stuck on

Always
    Be
    Castings

i abuse the shit out of my cast, good boon or not

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I had the one where it was "launch hangover clouds at people via casting" and "you do bonus damage when all your casts are out" and it very nearly carried me through elysium. for sure melted the hydra

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    I just made it to

Story spoilers
    Hades bedroom. All cloaks all day every day.

The admin room flashbackis hilarious too. Zag is pure failson.

• ConnConn Registered User regular
    Aaaahahaha holy shit.

Athena's Divine Dash combined with the epic version of Hermes' Greatest Reflex (+3 consecutive dashes) is some unstoppable shit.

Absolutely the easiest finish to a run I've had. If I had been more careful I might've gotten my only hitless run on the final boss.

XBL, PSN, and NNID: "ConnConnor" for all three.
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I had the one where it was "launch hangover clouds at people via casting" and "you do bonus damage when all your casts are out" and it very nearly carried me through elysium. for sure melted the hydra

I got that one with the Zeus Duo bonus that makes it pulse lightning inside it. Everything else I had that run was pure garbage, but the fucking shenanigans that enabled carried me to my first fight against the Elysium boss.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i think my favorite general cast boon is Zeus. goes through multiple enemies AND sticks in the last person it hits so i get that sweet sweet bonus damage.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Got to the end of the third set of levels tonight on Run 19, never having used God Mode
    Playing on Normal, had level 5 of Aphrodite's Special boon for the shield throw, and Poseidon's call

Took out Theseus and Minotaur on the first try!! I uh, mainly tossed that shield, a LOT, and then used the Call every time I had it

I can't believe Dionysus would betray me like this!! I thought we had something!!!

Anyway I got to the next stage and died but not before having a heart attack as soon as I saw Cerberus

I outright said "oh NO" and felt my stomach drop because I was so worried I'd have to hurt the good boy!!!

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I finished my first 10 heat run, with the Lucifer laser. I’ve pretty much settled on using that with Ares’ doom on attack as my favorite build for it right now.

You can pair that with Aphrodite on the special, and get their duo that causes doom to hit over and over again.

Then get the unlimited ammo perk from the hammer, and the perks from ares that cause doom to stack on multiple hits, and boosts the damage while delaying the doom hit (so you can stack even more)

That’s some good soup right there

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Okay, I have seen the credits now!

Ending spoilers:

Ending was beautiful and everything I could have asked for, but to be honest, I am really, REALLY underwhelmed by an explanation of the game's central mystery of "why did Persephone left and why is Hades trying to stop Zagreus from reaching her".
    So... Hades was fated to never have a heir, so his son with Persephone died stillborn, heartbroken Persephone ran away, and Nyx resurrected Zagreus, which took a long time. Even by then, Hades did not inform Persephone about this, to protect her from the wrath of olympian gods.

This explanation creates several problems:

1. So, this entire conflict was caused by Fates, characters that we never meet and only hear about. This is not very satisfying story-wise!
    2. It is never fully explained why olympian gods (except for Demeter, who is an overbearing mother) would feel vengenful against Persephone for choosing to stay out of Olympus - I mean, really, if they are really that obnoxious, is there no lie to explain why Goddess of Life would prefer to stay on Earth?
    3. While Persephone remains in her self inflicted exile, Demeter is ravaging the planet with constant winter... and Persephone is... okay with this? Are you shitting me here?

It all seems definitely too convoluted for me to work well. Still, at least ending itself, with Persephone returning to Hades, is very good. Explanation for continuing to play is also well thought and I cannot wait to unlock even more dialogues with everyone.

• DecatusDecatus Registered User regular
    I fired this up tonight to get a few runs in - I'd never gotten past the third boss(s), but was starting to get them close. The fists were glowing, so i picked them up for the sweet extra darkness.

I then got amazingly lucky - started with the hammer that boosted my dash attack and made it deal 900x to shields. Got the deflect dash like 3 rooms in. Got an extra dash from hermes. Got the +attack boon from Artemis, and a bit later found the "fire arrows when you hit people" boon.

Proceeded to dash-punch my way through 30 levels while only ever getting hit once or twice. Easily clear the boss that has been kicking my ass for a few days now.

I made it to the end, got to the final boss. I died when he was down to his last 20% or so. So close!

This game is super fun when everything lines up like that. I promptly got destroyed for my next three attempts, haha.

PSN: decatus90
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »

Ending spoilers:

Ending was beautiful and everything I could have asked for, but to be honest, I am really, REALLY underwhelmed by an explanation of the game's central mystery of "why did Persephone left and why is Hades trying to stop Zagreus from reaching her".
    So... Hades was fated to never have a heir, so his son with Persephone died stillborn, heartbroken Persephone ran away, and Nyx resurrected Zagreus, which took a long time. Even by then, Hades did not inform Persephone about this, to protect her from the wrath of olympian gods.

1. So, this entire conflict was caused by Fates, characters that we never meet and only hear about. This is not very satisfying story-wise!
    2. It is never fully explained why olympian gods (except for Demeter, who is an overbearing mother) would feel vengenful against Persephone for choosing to stay out of Olympus - I mean, really, if they are really that obnoxious, is there no lie to explain why Goddess of Life would prefer to stay on Earth?
    3. While Persephone remains in her self inflicted exile, Demeter is ravaging the planet with constant winter... and Persephone is... okay with this? Are you shitting me here?

It all seems definitely too convoluted for me to work well. Still, at least ending itself, with Persephone returning to Hades, is very good. Explanation for continuing to play is also well thought and I cannot wait to unlock even more dialogues with everyone.
    To your first point - the fact that gods, immortals, and legends have someone beyond even their ken, someone that they are beholden to, totally works for me. We're already seeing a peek behind the curtain, seeing portrayals of huge characters with an intimacy they aren't typically granted. I love that there's more curtain. I love the idea that, even if we could come to know the gods, we still couldn't know their gods.

To your second point - the Greek gods never needed much reason to be spiteful. Spite was kinda their jam. They'd spite a motherfucker for whatever. Someone who circumvents the natural order of things, who doesn't play by the rules they're playing by, is absolutely bitin' for a spitin'

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular

Ending spoilers:

To your first point - the fact that gods, immortals, and legends have someone beyond even their ken, someone that they are beholden to, totally works for me. We're already seeing a peek behind the curtain, seeing portrayals of huge characters with an intimacy they aren't typically granted. I love that there's more curtain. I love the idea that, even if we could come to know the gods, we still couldn't know their gods.

To your second point - the Greek gods never needed much reason to be spiteful. Spite was kinda their jam. They'd spite a motherfucker for whatever. Someone who circumvents the natural order of things, who doesn't play by the rules they're playing by, is absolutely bitin' for a spitin'
    Yeah I thought the Olympians being spiteful was pretty well established with the way they keep blasting you with magic whenever you show favor to another god.

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

Ending spoilers:

Yeah I thought the Olympians being spiteful was pretty well established with the way they keep blasting you with magic whenever you show favor to another god.
    To point 3, there is some dialogue where Persephone realizes the frozen hellscape outside of the cottage exists not because they are on top of a mountain, but because Demeter can hold a grudge.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Final boss
    he has a SECOND PHASE? FUCK YOU

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Final boss
    To be fair to ol' dad, you can have four phases, if you equip Skelly's tooth.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Baidol wrote: »

Ending spoilers:

To point 3, there is some dialogue where Persephone realizes the frozen hellscape outside of the cottage exists not because they are on top of a mountain, but because Demeter can hold a grudge.

Regarding the story surrounding the ending:
    There are conversations after the end of the game that give more explanation as to why the status of Persephone is a big deal:
    Zeus fuckin' abducted her to give to Hades.

He notices she's all "maybe I don't want to be on Olympus" and goes "Oh hey that's great so I got a brother needs a wife aaaaand off you go."

Knowledge of this would cause something of a civil fucking war in Olympus, with Zeus vs. Demeter at least. And then Demeter would bring holy hell to... hell.

Also this makes Zeus the biggest fucking asshole of the gods because he knows exactly what's up the entire time but still plays along. Of course, this is true to myth.

Garthor on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Final boss
    I just found that out myself. Still almost beat him, but got melted by his giant laser because I didn't realize I was poking out slightly from behind cover. Suppose I should grind for my last Death's Defiance.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »

Ending spoilers:

There are conversations after the end of the game that give more explanation as to why the status of Persephone is a big deal:

He notices she's all "maybe I don't want to be on Olympus" and goes "Oh hey that's great so I got a brother needs a wife aaaaand off you go."

Knowledge of this would cause something of a civil fucking war in Olympus, with Zeus vs. Demeter at least. And then Demeter would bring holy hell to... hell.

Also this makes Zeus the biggest fucking asshole of the gods because he knows exactly what's up the entire time but still plays along. Of course, this is true to myth.
    It's heavily implied that the other gods are intimidated by Demeter to the point where not even Zeus will mess with her. Zeus very much acts on impulse first and thinks about the consequences later, and this entire game is basically Zeus realizing just what he did and going "oh shit oh fuck oh shit oh fuck don't find out don't find out don't find out". Without spoiling anything, it all comes to a head some amount of time after Persephone returns so you do get to see the whole overall story get resolved as the final ending.

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    I find that going after the prophecy which requires the alternate mirror upgrades to be harder than like, 5 heat

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    burbo wrote: »
    I find that going after the prophecy which requires the alternate mirror upgrades to be harder than like, 5 heat

The one that fucks with Death Defiance is the gnarliest

I managed it on a Guan Yu spear run, but even that was fraught

• PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    It'd be nice if the upgrade for rerolling boons also let you reroll hammers. I'm only missing one shield upgrade for the prophecy.

i'm also missing a single shield upgrade, and despite using only the shield for my last like half dozen runs, it still has yet to pop. it's extremely annoying.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I've only seen it once, but as the starter boon, I got the Lose half your max hp but now all attacks heal and yowza.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

I had the x3 version once, but I just got the one, big slow bomb that can hurt you too and that gives it a run for it's money.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
    Minor oddity I noticed: the prophecies for getting all of a god's boons are just the regular ones, and the legendary and duo boons are separate prophecies. Except Chaos, whose prophecy includes getting the legendary boon.

The requirements for the legendary Chaos (Defiance) boon seems odd. It says "one of the following" and then lists most, but not all, of the Chaos boons. The list also includes "Ruin", which I have no idea what is. It's not in the list of Boons.

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    Minor oddity I noticed: the prophecies for getting all of a god's boons are just the regular ones, and the legendary and duo boons are separate prophecies. Except Chaos, whose prophecy includes getting the legendary boon.

The requirements for the legendary Chaos (Defiance) boon seems odd. It says "one of the following" and then lists most, but not all, of the Chaos boons. The list also includes "Ruin", which I have no idea what is. It's not in the list of Boons.

This was a recent change in how the prophecies are structured, Legendary used to be with their respective gods. Chaos may have just been overlooked.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I think Dionysus has ended up being my favorite God, which I initially wasn't expecting

All of his boons are good

Maddoc on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I've only seen it once, but as the starter boon, I got the Lose half your max hp but now all attacks heal and yowza.

You know what's great fun with that one? If you also pick up the one that makes your sword attack just the first two swings and makes them go faster with auto-fire. So not only do you get health per-swing, but you also have the fastest swing-rate possible with that weapon.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The passive bonuses and learning the game are what allow you to go further and further

How do we feel about the two versions of Death Defiance (per room vs. per run)

How do we feel about the two versions of Death Defiance (per room vs. per run)

I haven't tried per room at all because I often lose 2+ death defiances on the Elysium and Styx bosses.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    wait wth is god mode?

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »

Ending spoilers:

It's heavily implied that the other gods are intimidated by Demeter to the point where not even Zeus will mess with her. Zeus very much acts on impulse first and thinks about the consequences later, and this entire game is basically Zeus realizing just what he did and going "oh shit oh fuck oh shit oh fuck don't find out don't find out don't find out". Without spoiling anything, it all comes to a head some amount of time after Persephone returns so you do get to see the whole overall story get resolved as the final ending.
    Just chucking my own thoughts on the pile...

In some sense, Persephone's feelings on the matter, whether she's happy and healthy, are irrelevant to the Olympians. Recall that Hades got the short end of the stick with regards to his divine aspect-- for most of the Olympians, their domains are areas of privilege. Zeus controls the heavens, Dionysus is the god of wine, and so on. They can do whatever they want; they don't really owe anyone anything, other than the Fates might spin them a comeuppance if they're too bastardly. On the other hand, as the god of the dead and the underworld, Hades has a massive responsibility to maintain the orderly conduct of the dead and to prevent any of the dead from escaping. His life, and those around him, are heavily constrained to the responsibilities of the underworld. And the most binding rule of the underworld is that there is no escape. Nobody that goes into the underworld comes back out, not even gods. (Naturally, there are a few exceptions, but you can never count on the exception being for you.) So as far as anyone can tell on Olympus, if Persephone goes to the underworld, she's never coming back. Gone, forever, from a world of zero responsibilities to the endless darkness and drudge work of the underworld. Demeter will never see her daughter again. That's a heavy thing to lay on a parent! And if it turned out that someone made that big, irrevocable decision to take Persephone to the underworld without getting everyone's buy-in? Yeah, I'd expect the gods to obliterate them.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    wait wth is god mode?

Basically easy mode. It gives you some damage resistance and it gets stronger every time you die. It's in the options menu.

Peewi wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    wait wth is god mode?

Basically easy mode. It gives you some damage resistance and it gets stronger every time you die. It's in the options menu.

!!!

does it affect unlocks or anything??

Nope not a thing. Just your resistance. Turn on and off as needed

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA