As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hades] is King of the Scythe and the Sword

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Nope not a thing. Just your resistance. Turn on and off as needed

bk9x2ilp8dbi.jpg

you just don't get this congratulatory message after the credits

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    How do we feel about the two versions of Death Defiance (per room vs. per run)

It depends on how frequently you expect to die or if you expect to die repeatedly to one boss

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

bk9x2ilp8dbi.jpg

r69ckoy5rayz.jpg

instead you get this one

Erm who is Demeter's father

The game otherwise draws so extensively upon Hesiod's Theogony, but she and Hades don't seem to share the same father in the game

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Platy wrote: »

The game otherwise draws so extensively upon Hesiod's Theogony, but she and Hades don't seem to share the same father in the game

My guess is they’re keeping that vague to avoid having a too-obvious “Aunt Grandmother” situation

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

She mentions at one point that she is older than the other Greek gods, and is Zeus's adopted sister.

There is some evidence that she predates the Olympians in her worship, and may have been more of a Earth Mother type originally, or may have been a Cretan goddess who got absorbed into the pan-Hellenic pantheon (which in turn may relate to the Eleusinian mysteries).

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

By the time the other was a feasible option for me (think it didn't exist for a while in EA) I was consistently not dying until the elysium/styx bosses, at which point I'd need as many charges as I could.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I really like this game! Dang, just a lot of fun. So pretty, such good music, Supergiant has legit never made a bad game.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

bk9x2ilp8dbi.jpg

r69ckoy5rayz.jpg

instead you get this one

These are the worst things I've seen today

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • AbsurdPropositionAbsurdProposition Registered User regular
    I've only seen it once, but as the starter boon, I got the Lose half your max hp but now all attacks heal and yowza.

Just started playing but my best run was because of that upgrade and stacking a ton of damage reduction from aphrodite and attack speed. I was able to face tank enemies by outhealing their damage.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    bk9x2ilp8dbi.jpg
    r69ckoy5rayz.jpg
    instead you get this one

These are the weirdest valentines day cards I've ever seen

Tynnan on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Alright can you not deflect melee attacks or what I dont know how Ive played this much of this thing and not figured that out, I feel like I've definitely deflected Asterius' shit before but Dads big sweeps just told my deflect abilities to get fucked

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Okay hold on, do I only get the one boon re-roll per run?
    Edit: if it's at rank 1

Grey Ghost on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

To start with. You can acquire more rerolls by picking up keys: 1 reroll per key.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Is there a way to not be terrible at the bow?

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is there a way to not be terrible at the bow?

I had a really good run with it last night with the hammer upgrade that makes you not have to charge shots plus Poseidon's knockback attack plus rupture plus the wall damage bonus.

I kept God Mode off until I hit my first full win, and then I basked in my triumph and turned that shit the fuck on because once I'm at "repeating content to get to new content," I have nothing left to prove to myself and just want Zag and Meg to smooch

I want Thanatos and Zag to smooch.

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Baidol wrote: »

To start with. You can acquire more rerolls by picking up keys: 1 reroll per key.

that's a separate upgrade, guessing it's one of the renovations ones

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    edited September 2020
    Couscous wrote: »
    I kept God Mode off until I hit my first full win, and then I basked in my triumph and turned that shit the fuck on because once I'm at "repeating content to get to new content," I have nothing left to prove to myself and just want Zag and Meg to smooch

I want Thanatos and Zag to smooch.
    spoilers for anyone trying to keep blind
    boy are both of you in luck

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    Zag-Artemis

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    One death per room sounds great at first, but if you are dying in regular rooms things went real bad anyway and it's more useful to have multiple charges for bosses

Hobnail wrote: »
    Alright can you not deflect melee attacks or what I dont know how Ive played this much of this thing and not figured that out, I feel like I've definitely deflected Asterius' shit before but Dads big sweeps just told my deflect abilities to get fucked

Stuff you can deflect is purple AFAIK

edited September 2020

huh. I was thinking about how Charon's big sweeps felt like an exception to the no deflecting melee rule, but it's consistent with the "deflect purple" rule. Neat!

FYI, deflecting Charon's sweeps is big damage, just don't fuck it up cause those things hurt! He's the most predictable boss in the game but he's still tough because numbers big

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    One death per room sounds great at first, but if you are dying in regular rooms things went real bad anyway and it's more useful to have multiple charges for bosses

It's KINDA useful when doing a build that starts with low health (either from an aspect like Guan Yu, or from a Chaos Boon), getting you over the initial hump while you accrue health upgrades

But I still by and large prefer having multiple DDs

Huh well shit

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Can I not summon companions in boss fights?

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    After several attempts, I managed to win with the alternate mirror upgrades. The best part of the build was 3 extra dashes, the sturdy dash, the deflect dash, and 30% movement speed upgrade, with triple grenade lob. It was fun to just kite thes and hades and lob grenades at them.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

As far as I know, none can be used against the final boss. But each one tends to have one specific boss they refuse to take up arms against. Makes sense that Meg wouldn't help you against the Furies, for instance.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular

Certain companions don't show up for certain boss fights. The restriction gets lifted somewhat in a conversation, later.

Bouldy will fight anybody he doesn't give a fuck

Steam ID
    is there going to be an easier way to get hearts later on or is it going to be grinding a lot?

• burboburbo Registered User regular
    Its grinding still,but there are good ways to get gems, which you can trade for keys, which you.can trade for.nectar.

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Getting the rocket launcher that fires 5 rockets feels... well it feels really good, actually.

I had the x3 version once, but I just got the one, big slow bomb that can hurt you too and that gives it a run for it's money.

Uh, so this was great for the Elysium boss standing still a lot, and suuuper bad for the next area's tiny stages.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

As far as I know, none can be used against the final boss. But each one tends to have one specific boss they refuse to take up arms against. Makes sense that Meg wouldn't help you against the Furies, for instance.

Bouldy can be used even on the final boss, which is appropriate because Sisyphus straight up says he's not afraid of the gods.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Wait

What the fuck are companions?

IKknkhU.gif
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Jfc thsa game has so much shit going on that I've not even fuckin gotten to yet cause this fuckin hydra keeps wreckin me

Sleep on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Baidol wrote: »

that's a separate upgrade, guessing it's one of the renovations ones

Ahhh, yes, that's right.
    Stilts wrote: »
    Wait

What the fuck are companions?

Spoilers for character relationships.
    As you give certain characters nectar and then ambrosia, some characters will give you a cute plushie that you can use to summon them in battle.
    Bouldy will fight anybody he doesn't give a fuck
    Every boss' response to Bouldy is fantastic.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

huh. I was thinking about how Charon's big sweeps felt like an exception to the no deflecting melee rule, but it's consistent with the "deflect purple" rule. Neat!

FYI, deflecting Charon's sweeps is big damage, just don't fuck it up cause those things hurt! He's the most predictable boss in the game but he's still tough because numbers big

well this was a hell of a spoiler, thanks

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Yay! I beat Hades!

It turns out the trick was to luck into a Legendary from Athena that give gives you an infinite respawning shield.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020

a little late, but I'd say it depends on how comfortable you feel with the game mechanics and clearing non-boss rooms. early on i was using the per room one more, but at this point unless i really mess up, i'm only really at risk of dying at Elysium boss, final boss, and maybe one of the rooms right before the final boss if I get unlucky with my build and mob composition. so basically if i'm gonna die, it's probably to a boss that's kicking my ass, in which case i'd rather have the safety net of extra deaths all in one spot (and with the chance to get some back via Athena boons or the purple shop thingy.)

Houk the Namebringer on