As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quit your [job] thread

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    One of my co-workers (who didn't strike) went through all my tickets and added a "Bucketman can you please update these?" which is really annoying. I asked him why he did this and he was like "Well you hadn't updated any of them for nearly 2 full weeks!"

Yeah man, wonder why. What event could have caused me to not updated my tickets for 8 working days? What possibly could it have been? I fucking wonder.

I know we mostly agreed on no shade at folks at your job who didn't strike because they needed the money, but this shit is a scab-ass move.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Cello wrote: »
    I was about to ask if you enclosed a photo of the black and white cat with your resume

(Canada got Postman Pat and I fucking loved it)

I remember having the theme tune on vinyl

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    One of my co-workers (who didn't strike) went through all my tickets and added a "Bucketman can you please update these?" which is really annoying. I asked him why he did this and he was like "Well you hadn't updated any of them for nearly 2 full weeks!"

Yeah man, wonder why. What event could have caused me to not updated my tickets for 8 working days? What possibly could it have been? I fucking wonder.

Tell him he’s a grub, from me

“Hey Randy, some strange Australian man says you’re a grub”

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Tef wrote: »

Tell him he’s a grub, from me

“Hey Randy, some strange Australian man says you’re a grub”

Yeah mate he's grub as!

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    A fackin grubbo mate

• Options
    Too right, boys!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I mean, if we're just collecting a list of countries where people think Bucketmans coworker is a dick, add Denmark to it.

Bonus point if the final list is printed on a roll of paper so Bucketman can get a proper unfurling on when he presents it. "People from the following countries..."

giphy.gif

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Edit: bad goosery

Weaver on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    i genuinely don't know what you mean by that, but if i were one of those English folks you're referring to i'd probably take it as an insult!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    It's confusing enough that I don't know if I should be insulted or not

But now I have this stuck in my head which I'm okay with

https://youtu.be/yuTMWgOduFM

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I mean, if we're just collecting a list of countries where people think Bucketmans coworker is a dick, add Denmark to it.

Bonus point if the final list is printed on a roll of paper so Bucketman can get a proper unfurling on when he presents it. "People from the following countries..."

giphy.gif

It's bugging the hell out of me that the scroll apparently flips between Jafar and the Sultan.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Not sure if I was a shit boss tonight or if that was just the impostor syndrome.

I shall silence these doubts with a call to my girlfriend, , food, and sleep

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Anytime the English start speaking in cryptic slang, I start thinking that those who post it aren't maybe as linked into the common folk as they think they are.

Fascinated at the idea working class aussie and uk slang isn't like the fucking definition of "common folk"

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The more I have learned about Australian slang, the more I have learned it basically all derived out of exceeding laziness. "Yeah we just cut the word in half and add an "a" to the end" is a thing I've heard.

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »

giphy.gif

It's bugging the hell out of me that the scroll apparently flips between Jafar and the Sultan.

Oh no now that's all I can see. :bigfrown:

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    No word should have more than three syllables.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    On a long weekend, needed to check my work phone for a scheduling thing, saw 20+ emails, dropped that phone like a hot potato.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Anytime the English start speaking in cryptic slang, I start thinking that those who post it aren't maybe as linked into the common folk as they think they are.

Fascinated at the idea working class aussie and uk slang isn't like the fucking definition of "common folk"

Indeed, if someone's dropping trailing consonants and using rhyming slang, it's pretty fucking safe to assume they didn't go to a $30,000 per annum finishing school before attending Eton to read law in the college named after their Great-Grandfather...

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

Yes but it's not our slang, which makes it foreign and weird.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    The more I have learned about Australian slang, the more I have learned it basically all derived out of exceeding laziness. "Yeah we just cut the word in half and add an "a" to the end" is a thing I've heard.

A country out there that beats the US for laziness? Bold claim.

• Options
    I imagine Aussie slang varies across Austopia like it does everywhere else

• Options
    For example I'm Sheffield born and bred and I'll crack thi reyt int beak shagga etc etc etc

• Options
    Actual regional slang is not really a thing here in my neck of the woods anymore as far as I can tell.

You've certainly got your accents and colloquialisms but I can't think of any particular slang thats used here and not everywhere else in the country.

We say "damn" a lot. Like, a lot. I've gotten to where I'll do it at work so a conversation would go something like this:

Quality guy: "How'd they run?"

Me: "Man, the damn cap kept faultin' out every damn time I started the fuckin thing up. Put it in manual, wouldn't damn run, put it in thread, wouldn't damn run. Gave up on the piece of shit and wrote it up for damn maintenance. Let them deal with damn thing."

Quality guy: "Damn."

Also a thing that is entirely unique to my workplace is referring to everyone as "Hammer"

Hey, Hammer. How ya doin', Hammer? That guy's a Hammer.

• Options
    Also "aaaaaaay lordy" when receiving mildly inconvenient news.

The longer you draw out the "ay" the more mildly inconvenienced you are.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    For example I'm Sheffield born and bred and I'll crack thi reyt int beak shagga etc etc etc

My old man's got a couple of books written in whatever the name for "Yorkshireman" dialect is, and they're fucking indecipherable.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    About the only actual regional slang that people genuinely use in Boston is "wicked" to mean "very."

"Saw them live at Avalon, was wicked fuckin' cool," etc.

Pittsburgh gets a lot of slang attributed to it that I never once heard while living there. Ditto North Carolina.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    It’s honestly hard to know what cultural influences have spread where and why, so my Postman Pat question was an honest question. (The reason I asked specifically about US people was because both Cello and Tynic had indicated they understood the reference).

Mori’s been completely unaware of some phrases and words I honestly thought were common across the English-speaking world, and on the flip side he’s recognized TV shows or music I thought wouldn’t have reached US shores.

And the internet has muddied that all up even more, plus people will be differently influenced depending on the particular social groups they ran in.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »
    It’s honestly hard to know what cultural influences have spread where and why, so my Postman Pat question was an honest question. (The reason I asked specifically about US people was because both Cello and Tynic had indicated they understood the reference).

Mori’s been completely unaware of some phrases and words I honestly thought were common across the English-speaking world, and on the flip side he’s recognized TV shows or music I thought wouldn’t have reached US shores.

And the internet has muddied that all up even more, plus people will be differently influenced depending on the particular social groups they ran in.

Postman Pat made it to 'Straya via the ABC, which is why Tynic knows it.

• Options
    edited September 2020

My old man's got a couple of books written in whatever the name for "Yorkshireman" dialect is, and they're fucking indecipherable.

You just got to channel your inner Paul Sykes and it all becomes clear

qf1a59oiv6e3.png

Na then lad, tha must be bleedin jokin if tha cannot comp'rend basic bleedin english after fotty six pints in't werkinmens shagga!

(I don't actually sound like that, although the more I've had to drink, the closer I get, and it makes perfect sense to me)

Solar on
  • Options
    And then you've got people who think

"well I suppose there's three types of English men, Colin Firth, Martin Freeman, and Vinnie Jones, and that is it."

"As for women, there's Queen Elizabeth, or M.I.A., there are no other options."

• Options
    Although the best British Isles accent video is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkcXjholnGk&ab_channel=UilickMcGee

Hahaha

Bastids

• Options
    Hahahaha

I hadn't seen this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fjC3zQu9ds&ab_channel=nigelkot

I know about sharks, yeah

• Options
    45 pints in 2 hours? He'd be DEAD.

I feel like you'd get on with my Dad like a house on fire, Solar. D'ye like steam engines, and trains, and canals, and walking your dog on the moors, me lad?

• Options
    I feel like the Australian English speaking accents are:
    West & South coast
    North coast and Queensland
    NSW, Victorian

Within each region you have posh, common and Australian Aboriginal variants

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I think he means four tae five... I hope so... Still, 15 pints in a night! Blimey

I like all those things!

Solar on
  • Options
    Stillers?

Eagles 'till I die!

• Options
    Hahahaha

I hadn't seen this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fjC3zQu9ds&ab_channel=nigelkot

I know about sharks, yeah

E's right to not read t'Sun.

• Options
    Is snooker a thing in Australia?

• Options
    Mitch Fanning punched a shark to make it fuck off.

Do you know what it did?

It fucked off, right sharp.

• Options
    Anyway in jobbo (ey) news I actually got another interview next Thursday

And it's for another role in the same non-profit, they actually want to interview me for two different positions, and then... I dunno? Seems odd. But still. Can't be bad. This is more engaging with NHS trusts and giving them support in terms of providing responses to people's descriptions of their care experience, which is a bit more responsibility, but would be a good way to start building up a CV that applies to non-profit roles. I had a look into non-profit governance qualifications and there are things you can do in that, which would be cool.

• Options
    Is snooker a thing in Australia?

Kind of, but not really.

Pubs typically have a "pool" table, but nobody outside of maybe 1000 people in the entire country give a shit about the snooker championships, and they're all at least 70 years old and either called Shane or Reg.

This discussion has been closed.