As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad News Gone Right]: Ow My Balls Edition

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    That's not a hairclip:
    Emily Hinds was having an early night after celebrating a win in social netball with a glass of wine on Tuesday night.

"I woke up in that slumber feeling like I've rolled onto a hair clip on my head and was thinking 'Why did the kids put a hair clip on my head'?" the 42-year-old mum said.

"Then I thought the clip would have to open and close.

"Then I felt it and it was smooth and long and I said 'It's a snake!'

Once again - Australian fauna want us all dead.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Bad News:*gestures vaguely around*
    Gone right: Dr. Fauci understands and feels you.

5bqic2a7xpeo.png
    Available for pre-order.
    https://store.bobbleheadhall.com/collections/bobbleheads/products/drfaucifacepalm

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The broadband internet for an entire village of wales had been going down every day around 7am for the last 18 months. That problem has finally been solved
    Engineers used a device called a spectrum analyzer and walked up and down the village "in the torrential rain" at 6 a.m. to see if they could locate an electrical noise, Jones said in a statement.

At 7 a.m. -- "like clockwork" -- the device "picked up a large burst of electrical interference in the village."

"The source of the 'electrical noise' was traced to a property in the village. It turned out that at 7 a.m. every morning the occupant would switch on their old TV which would in-turn knock out broadband for the entire village."

Anyone know what model TV was being used?

Veevee on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No but I had a very similar issue once during a field season (it was the local farmhands sneakily watching soccer using our field site power supply).

Only we didn't have a spectrum analyzer so we just had to walk around looking to see where any cables emerged from the ground.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

Doesn't really matter. Any electronic device that outputs a significant interference at 612Khz can cause something like this.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Bad news: you, an asshole, fucked up laser safety and burned yourself.

Good news: you are now a training aid!

I used to have that engineer come to my training classes, so I could have him roll up his shirtsleeve to display the four dime sized scars on his arm where a Quanta Ray had vaporized flesh as he pulled his arm though a beam.

LESSON: "Learn from Joe. Know where your beams are."

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Bad news: you, an asshole, fucked up laser safety and burned yourself.

Good news: you are now a training aid!

I used to have that engineer come to my training classes, so I could have him roll up his shirtsleeve to display the four dime sized scars on his arm where a Quanta Ray had vaporized flesh as he pulled his arm though a beam.

LESSON: "Learn from Joe. Know where your beams are."

This is why you use the laser beams that are visible along their entire length. It's really a safety issue.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    If the beam is powerful enough to inflict burns, why the hell is anybody dicking around with the dang thing while it's on? Why isn't there a fail-safe enclosure around it?

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Given the rest of the thread I suspect Joe is of the "too manly to bother with safety precautions" type.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    If the beam is powerful enough to inflict burns, why the hell is anybody dicking around with the dang thing while it's on? Why isn't there a fail-safe enclosure around it?

Those can be defeated. At a job a few years back we had a low power laser (table top sized) that could etch wood and aluminum. Mostly for logos and calibration marks. The guys operating the laser defeated the safeties and would put their hands and arms in to give themselves temporary brands that they would load into the software.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    The problem with making things foolproof is that Mother Nature then goes and makes a better fool.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Those can be defeated. At a job a few years back we had a low power laser (table top sized) that could etch wood and aluminum. Mostly for logos and calibration marks. The guys operating the laser defeated the safeties and would put their hands and arms in to give themselves temporary brands that they would load into the software.

Jesus. I'll take terrible ideas for $100.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Jesus. I'll take terrible ideas for $100.

As a dumbass mid-20s something, they did look pretty damn cool. I wasn't sticking my arm in a box with a laser, but the results did speak for themselves.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Wrong thread.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Silly me, I thought it was gonna be "to go faster". Though laser brands do seem like a pretty cool idea...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Screw the tattoos, did anyone ever try to get themselves a cheap Brazilian?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

I am not putting my naughty bits anywhere NEAR a laser, thank you very much!

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

How else are you going to have sex with a robot?

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

Last I checked robot sex didn't include mandatory lasers

did they change the rules again?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure using an industrial laser for a Brazilian wax is going to result in a much, much smoother shave than you might want.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure using an industrial laser for a Brazilian wax is going to result in a much, much smoother shave than you might want.

When I said I wanted it to look like a Ken doll that is NOT what I meant!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

When I said I wanted it to look like a Ken doll that is NOT what I meant!

It's fine, just use the, uh, Philippines Wax laser.
    The Philippines are one the opposite side of the planet from Brazil, the math is unquestionable.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »

Last I checked robot sex didn't include mandatory lasers

did they change the rules again?

I mean, they're not _mandatory_...

• Options
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Semi-retired artist Fanny Fielding launched her website in 2019 and doesn't know why people won’t take her work seriously.

Well, the URL fannyf.art ain't helping.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    That first paragraph is, to put it lightly, a fucking lie:
    I noticed that people always had something to say when I had something like 'Tits' or 'Pussy' in the title. Now I'm no prude. I grew up with Carry On films and fully aware of the British obsession with double entendre. The turning point was when I took some of my paintings into a local coffee shop where they would display work by local artists. At first, Gary who ran the shop was unimpressed, but when I pointed out some of the titles, he became very interested and suggested I concentrate on that. The boy turned out to be an adequate web designer and offered to build me a website as he said he had found the perfect domain name for me.
    You would be surprised just how many people don't clock the titles. Sometimes I wonder if I’m too subtle! I have a few patrons that buy my work on face value. The original paintings do not have the titles on them like the prints do. I like to think that people are buying into the project as a whole. As long as they are well-hung and people appreciate my tits and stuff, I don't really mind.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That first paragraph is, to put it lightly, a fucking lie:
    You would be surprised just how many people don't clock the titles. Sometimes I wonder if I’m too subtle! I have a few patrons that buy my work on face value. The original paintings do not have the titles on them like the prints do. I like to think that people are buying into the project as a whole. As long as they are well-hung and people appreciate my tits and stuff, I don't really mind.

This second paragraph suddenly turns into her dating profile.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Article written by a Drew Peacock.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    "The hard part is getting an alligator to breathe helium."

Yeah.

Yeah, sounds about right.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Doesn't really matter. Any electronic device that outputs a significant interference at 612Khz can cause something like this.

It is impressive that it managed to do so for the entire town though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

In this case, "the entire town" is a tiny village of only about 10 houses. She probably just lives next to the one DSL distribution point for everyone there.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

In this case, "the entire town" is a tiny village of only about 10 houses. She probably just lives next to the one DSL distribution point for everyone there.

10 houses? The article I read said 400 people. I figured they were fairly rural and spread out farm plots or something too.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular

10 houses? The article I read said 400 people. I figured they were fairly rural and spread out farm plots or something too.

I mean you can check it out on maps, but they must have been counting miles of the surrounding countryside to hit that number because the village itself is barely there.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

I mean you can check it out on maps, but they must have been counting miles of the surrounding countryside to hit that number because the village itself is barely there.

Goddamn TV knocked out the satellites too!

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I do kinda miss the thrum and crackle of the old fashion box TVs.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah.

Getting it to breathe helium seems easy enough. The hard part is getting it to stop in time.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah.

Getting it to breathe helium seems easy enough. The hard part is getting it to stop in time.

Trying to get the baby alligators to stop laughing is also a real pain.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    The most important contest of the year

6mqxvkvxi80w.png

News Release Date: September 25, 2020

King Salmon, AK – Katmai National Park and Preserve, – No capes are needed for these furry superheroes. They may not be faster than a speeding bullet, but despite the weight they are carrying, these burly beasts can still run faster than most humans. These brown bears’ power of packing on the pounds gets them through the winter and able to live to compete another year. With or without the lasso of truth around us, our story remains the same: fat bears = healthy bears.

While the plumpest of the plump work to gain even more, Katmai’s bears of Brooks River will compete in head-to-head matchups in Fat Bear Week’s single elimination tournament. Your votes decide who will wear the mantle of 2020’s Fattest Bear. We are moving this voting from Katmai National Park’s Facebook page to explore.org/fat-bear-week hosted by explore.org. Experience the excitement of survival of the fattest when Fat Bear Week 2020 begins Wednesday, September 30th! Matchups will be open for voting from 12 - 10 p.m. Eastern (8 a.m. - 6 p.m. Alaska).

Does Bear 747 have a chance to get his first championship by dethroning last year’s reigning champion, 435 Holly? Will a new bear come from the outside and topple the competition for the ultimate win? Can multi time champ 480 Otis reclaim his spot on top for one more year? While we can’t foresee the future champion, we do know the paunchy bear will only achieve their win with all of you casting your votes.

This competition is brought to you through the partnership of Katmai National Park and Preserve, explore.org and the Katmai Conservancy. If you want to check out the live bear cams, you can find them here.

Ready to check out the competition for this year’s crown? Here is the 2020 Fat Bear Week Bracket for you to fill out! Then remember to come back to explore.org/fat-bear-week daily from Wednesday, September 30th through Championship Tuesday, October 6th. Remember, with great Fat Bears comes a great responsibility to vote!

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    435 Holly, 747 and 32 Chunk look like strong contenders this year.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
This discussion has been closed.