As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Genshin Impact] Breath of the Gacha (1.2 out now!)

KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
edited December 2020 in Games and Technology
FBZ1rIU.jpg

https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en

What is Genshin Impact?
A F2P open world action RPG gacha game that basically rips its exploration straight from Breath of the Wild, it's developed by miHoYo

But what IS Genshin Impact?
GI is kind of a weird game when it comes to gachas, clearly meant to appeal to a larger console audience as well as mobile gamers. If you are a fan of the large open world and style of Breath of the Wild you'll probably feel right at home. There's climbing, swimming, gliding, and you'll absolutely run out of stamina at the worst time and die because of it. There's puzzles to discover and chests to open literally everywhere. There's dungeons and world bosses and the action combat is extremely smooth with unique abilities for each character along with a fairly involved elemental combo system. Seriously, look at this chart
SlprUP1.jpg
V1.0 Launch Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY3XGzDousM

Also maybe I should mention that it has some great music?
https://youtu.be/pFrKZxStL_U

What platforms is it on?
This game has its global launch on September 28th on PC, iOS, Android, and PS4. Switch has been announced but no release window yet.

Preload is live!
Game servers go live:
September 28th 10:00 AM GMT+8 (China time).
September 27th 10:00 PM ET
September 27th 7:00 PM PT

Is there cross-play/cross-save?
Yes, but there's limitations:

Cross-save: PC, iOS, and Android. You can swap between those platforms at any time and use the same account. PS4 does not support cross-save.
Cross-play: All platforms can play together! Yes, PS4 can play with PC users, etc.

The game IS regional so if you're playing on the US server you can't play with people playing on the EU server. You can swap servers but your progress is saved by region.

Is the story any good?
I've played through the prologue (through the first area) and it's probably not going to surprise anyone but it's well written and the characters are entertaining and charming. I like it a lot! There's currently 2 of a planned 7 areas as of the CN open beta, which should reflect the global launch. They're opening up a PTR essentially this week for patch 1.1 already which is expected to contain the 3rd area. Even right now the world has a lot to explore and quests to do, however.

Is there multiplayer?
The game supports 4 person co-op. Starting at Adventure Rank 16 you can open your world up or join other people's worlds to explore with and help friends. There's some limitations, though. For rewards that require resin, guests still have to spend that resin. Guests can't go around and complete quests in your world and story progress isn't advanced for them. They also can't go and open your world's chests, though they can still get drops from monsters. There's also matchmaking for Domains (this game's version of dungeons).

Okay, but what about single player?
You can play the game completely single player. In fact, the real "endgame" content at the moment is Spiral Abyss which you can't take friends into.

Alright, how is the F2P experience?
At launch there are 6 guaranteed characters you can get for free: 4 very early in the story for a full team then 2 from other activities. With these characters you can basically do everything currently in the game. You will need 2 more characters by the time you reach the high levels of Spiral Abyss (they require 2 teams of 4) but, for most players, this won't be a concern for a month or two, if not longer. Plenty of time to earn some additional rolls to get more characters, in my opinion. If you just want to experience the story and play the game at your own pace there's absolutely zero need to pay into the gacha system. There's some rough math floating around about F2P primogem income but I'm not going to post it here because this has changed significantly from CBT to CN OBT and even then it's hard to predict without seeing what events are like.

Ok but it IS a gacha right? How bad is it?
There are two things you can gacha for: Characters and weapons. 4* teams are completely viable for Spiral Abyss so this information is mostly for people who really want the 5*s: There's a bit of contention around the gacha rates in this game currently because from the outside they're really low for a gacha. Sitting at 0.6% in the standard banner for 5* (the highest rarity). If your first thought is "yikes" well, you're not alone. However, this is balanced against featured banners and the pity system, which follows these rules:

You are guaranteed to get a 4* within 10 pulls.
You are guaranteed to get a 5* within 90 pulls (1st pity). (80 for weapon focused banners)
You are guaranteed to get the featured 5* character within 180 pulls (2nd pity). (160 for weapons)

The way this works out is the first 5* you pull in a banner has a 50% chance of being the featured character. If you don't get the featured character the first time you WILL get it the second time you pull a 5*. The pity counter also restarts when you get a character so if you pull a 5* (that isn't the featured character) on say, your 3rd roll then you'll get the featured character within 90 pulls after that, so 93 max (instead of 180).

The effective rate ends up being about 1.6% for featured banners, which is much more in line with other gachas. Also the pity still applies to individual pulls, in fact, most people recommend you do single pulls unless you absolutely want to save time. You can do 10-pulls but they don't provide an additional benefit like many games.

So is it P2W?
In my opinion? Not really. There's nothing to win aside from speedrunning to the top of Spiral Abyss. No content is locked behind needing any abilities that a free character doesn't provide. There's no PVP, and heck, not even any leaderboards. It's a gacha game so you can absolutely whale to get through some grinding faster, but it's by no means required.

Is there an energy system?
There's Resin which works as the energy system in this game, you have a max of 120 and it recharges over time at a rate of 1 every 8 minutes. You can spend the currency (primogems) or certain items you'll pick up as you go to refill it. Resin is ONLY spent for certain activities, ie Domains and looting certain open world bosses. Exploring the world, doing quests, and opening chests does not require any Resin. This is not one of those games where you just can't play if you run out of energy, there's plenty to do.

What is Adventure Rank?
This is essentially your account level and how they gate progress. You earn AR XP by doing most things, including small amounts by just opening chests with more gained by doing quests and dailies, etc. As you gain ranks more and more content is unlocked and your World Level also will eventually increase, making monsters you run into out in the field progressively tougher but the trade-off is that they will drop better items. It gets progressively longer and longer to increase your Adventure Rank so at the high levels this is a slow grind, but you'll have access to most features at around AR 20-30 which doesn't take too long.

Resources
Interactive map with collectables: https://genshin-impact-map.appsample.com/#/

What is Paimon?
Emergency Food

Kyanilis on

• Options
    edited December 2020
    Extra post reserved for event details and more info if needed

Upcoming 1.2 events

Current story event: The Chalk Prince and the Dragon

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Looking forward to this, it looks pretty cool.

(Fuck another gacha what am I doing to myself)

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    It really is amazing how a single utterance of “gacha” drains all color and interest from a game; as if its glamour dissipated, revealing the stinking goblin’s true nature.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    I’m going to be trying this out, it looks fun.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I’ve been waiting for this for Switch. I didn’t know about the Gacha side of it, but hey it’s free. If I don’t like what they’re doing I can just uninstall it.

• Options
    Official preload info: https://genshin.mihoyo.com/en/news/detail/5641
    Dear Travelers,

The wait is almost over — your adventure in Teyvat is about to begin!

Game pre-loading will become available in the next few days for PlayStation®4, iOS, Android, and PC. Don't miss out, Travelers!

The specific times are:

PC
    Pre-load starting time: September 26, 2020 10:00 (GMT+8), 02:00 (UTC); September 25, 2020 19:00 (PDT)

iOS&Android
    Pre-load starting time: September 27, 2020 14:00 (GMT+8), 06:00 (UTC); September 26, 2020 23:00 (PDT)

PS4
    Pre-Order Travelers: September 26, 2020 00:00 (GMT+8); September 25, 2020 16:00 (UTC), 09:00 (PDT)
    All Travelers:September 28, 2020 00:00 (GMT+8); September 27, 2020 16:00 (UTC), 09:00 (PDT)
    Travelers can stay tuned to Genshin Impact's official site!

I uhh, may have been checking out the CN open beta to get a handle on how the game feels and all that and it's hard to not just spend a ton of time in it. You know, with having to restart for the global launch.

• Options
    Maybe I should take Monday off and not tell my wife... wait, no, never take launch day off. I’ve seen too many ruined because the service couldn’t handle the demand.

I’m going to not bother to reroll, it’s too tedious for me and I don’t think it will make a long term difference.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm not gonna bother with rerolling. It's a lot of time and effort to try to get a character that's not super necessary. Building a decent 4* team doesn't seem like it'll be that hard and while some of the launch 5*s look great I think I can survive if I don't get lucky.

I'm hopeful with how smooth the Chinese open beta has been that global launch might be fine? But yeah, it's a risky move with any game that requires an online connection. Also the servers go live similarly to the preload date so 7pm PDT on the 27th so I'll have a chance to check things out Sunday evening, which is nice.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    Ugh, I really don't want to reroll for this because it looks SUPER annoying to do it. But on the other hand, I really want a Keqing. Her skillset looks fucking bad ass, zipping around the field lightning-stabbing things.
    But the rates are fuck awful in this game; I can't even imagine how many rerolls I would need to do to get any 5*, let alone a specific one.

• Options
    Keqing looks amazing, probably the only person I REALLY want, but not enough to reroll. I don't see why she wouldn't be on a featured banner at some point and trying to reroll for a specific 5* seems like a good way to just never play the game sooooo.

• Options
    I find it’s always a bad idea to go into a gatcha set on a specific character.

I agree with you, but I’ll build around what I get and it will be just fine.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    I have no idea what rerolling means or pulls but I'm definitely going to be "second screening" this game during work on Monday. I remember a trailer/preview video awhile ago (when this game was getting poo'd on for simply being a BotW clone) and it had this insane looking red or blue dragon fight that looked 1000X's more engaging than really anything I experienced in BotW. Glad to hear it's coming out so soon after largely forgetting about it.

. . .now if only Granblue Remix could get their act together.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    So re-rolling is something that usually happens at the start of any gacha game. Technically, this is a gacha game even though it seems for the most part, everything is doable using the free characters provided and just crafting weapons. So you don't have to interface with that part of the game at all unless you want new characters separate from the free ones.

And then re-rolling is just restarting the game over and over by making a new account. You play the beginning until some set point near the start where you unlock the ability to try your luck (aka "pull") for new units. Usually when it's a brand new game, you also get some free currency to do those pulls at the same time. So you do your pulls and then if you get what you want, great, now you can play the rest of the game. If you don't, start a new account and play the beginning again until you get back to where the game gives you the free currency and try again.

Why do people do this? Because masochism is fun! But really it's usually a process done by people who don't want to spend money interfacing with shitty lootbox style gambling systems (and who does, really) but they really want a specific character/weapon/whatever and this way you only have to spend time instead of money to basically "guarantee" it with enough repetitions.

• Options
    A lot of newer gacha games include various methods to either let you reroll within them easily or mechanics that would lessen the need for a reroll. There's some that will let you roll a bunch of times and choose the "best" roll, for one example. Unfortunately, GI doesn't have anything like that and it's just the old school method of creating a ton of accounts which is frustrating enough for me to just not want to bother with it.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I would strongly discourage rerolling with Genshin Impact.

While they have said they do not have any rules against rerolling, they did say that their system might see multiple accounts as someone trying to sell them and you will be banned for it.

edit- I should point out that if you and others in your household wish to each make an account on the same PC/PS4 then that should be perfectly fine. It is when a whole bunch of accounts are all being made in quick succession on the same device that the system starts to raise its eyebrow. ie: When someone is trying to reroll.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Weird. The only random stuff I got from signing up was this Match-Three game and I didn't see any characters in that one - certainly no reason to use another account. I also didn't know what any of these items did so I said "to hell with this. . ." and haven't bothered going back before the game launches.

• Options
    ED! wrote: »
    Weird. The only random stuff I got from signing up was this Match-Three game and I didn't see any characters in that one - certainly no reason to use another account. I also didn't know what any of these items did so I said "to hell with this. . ." and haven't bothered going back before the game launches.

Yeah that's just a pre-release event, you can't get any characters from it. The rerolls people are looking for are from the in-game gacha system.

• Options
    Uhh another free character? Yeah, not gonna argue with that.

• Options
    Came to post that, that mean everyone starting day one should be able to get a solid healer.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    This game looks potentially amazing! I’m super excited to try it out tomorrow night

616610-1.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Random question since the official forums seem to be providing contradictory information:

What name is displayed ingame to other players? Your account name (ie- the name it pulls from Facebook when you login to the launcher) or your character name ingame (assuming you get a chance to name a character)?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Aegis wrote: »
    Random question since the official forums seem to be providing contradictory information:

What name is displayed ingame to other players? Your account name (ie- the name it pulls from Facebook when you login to the launcher) or your character name ingame (assuming you get a chance to name a character)?

It should be the name you give your main character (the Traveler), this is the first thing it has you do when you actually get in-game. The game will also assign you a numeric UID which is what you give to people who you want to co-op with (this is how they handle cross-play). But no, the account name isn't visible ingame as this can also be things like email addresses, names, etc which would be a huge yikes.

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Disrupter wrote: »
    This game looks potentially amazing! I’m super excited to try it out tomorrow night

I thought this was coming out on Monday?

EDIT: Nevermind. I guess this is out at around 10PM EST tomorrow which is surprising.

ED! on
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »

I thought this was coming out on Monday?

Exact time it launches is September 28th 10:00 AM GMT+8 (China time). So for people in NA it technically launches tomorrow evening (7pm PT, 10pm ET)

• Options
    One thing I am curious about: I like community discoveries so it'll be interesting to see how much of the content has already been "mapped out" so to speak with all these closed and open betas that have occurred. If anything is static in the world so to speak (like your Dark Souls).

• Options
    One thing I am curious about: I like community discoveries so it'll be interesting to see how much of the content has already been "mapped out" so to speak with all these closed and open betas that have occurred. If anything is static in the world so to speak (like your Dark Souls).

The first 2 regions are well known at this point, but I don't think anything beyond that was in beta.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I heard this referred to as “Breath of the Waifu” which is what I will call it henceforth.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Alright well 10pm Sunday basically means I have very little time to play it launch night to reroll.. so probably just going to pull once for the guaranteed 4* and then just gather gacha currency until a rate up for Keqing hits. Viva la freedom.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Everyone talking about Keqing, but Jean and Kaeya are right there.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    So there's collectable items in each area that you can go turn into the statues to increase your stamina (+ some other rewards). They're in set locations but there's a lot of them so there's tools and such to help you mark the ones you've found like this map: https://genshin-impact-map.appsample.com/#/

If you want to go in completely blind obviously don't use stuff like that but I know for me being consistent in marking those means when there's like 1-2 left I won't be pulling out my hair trying to figure out where. Figured I'd post it for anyone else who is worried about that. You can sign in with your Google account to save progress as well!

• Options
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    So there's collectable items in each area that you can go turn into the statues to increase your stamina (+ some other rewards). They're in set locations but there's a lot of them so there's tools and such to help you mark the ones you've found like this map: https://genshin-impact-map.appsample.com/#/

If you want to go in completely blind obviously don't use stuff like that but I know for me being consistent in marking those means when there's like 1-2 left I won't be pulling out my hair trying to figure out where. Figured I'd post it for anyone else who is worried about that. You can sign in with your Google account to save progress as well!

Can we put that in the OP so it's easy to fine, pretty please?

• Options
    Feldorn wrote: »
    Kyanilis wrote: »

Can we put that in the OP so it's easy to fine, pretty please?

Done!

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Heads up that the PC version installs a bespoke kernel level anti-cheat which is not removed on uninstallation. At best this is pretty heavy handed. At worst it's a security vulnerability. Guess I'm playing on mobile. :?

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    Heads up that the PC version installs a bespoke kernel level anti-cheat which is not removed on uninstallation. At best this is pretty heavy handed. At worst it's a security vulnerability. Guess I'm playing on mobile. :?

The annoying part is that the service keeps running after exiting the game, forcing you to run a batch script to terminate it (or do it manually) each time you stop playing.

Characters
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »

The annoying part is that the service keeps running after exiting the game, forcing you to run a batch script to terminate it (or do it manually) each time you stop playing.

They acknowledged this bug a couple months ago, I'm a little surprised it's not fixed yet but release priorities often aren't what players expect. I do think they'll still fix this (and hopefully the uninstall thing), though.

• Options
    Updated OP with the V1.0 launch trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY3XGzDousM

• Options
    Just got an email from "P.A.I.M.O.N" (these guys like HEREDITARY or something) and theres a ton of "event" stuff going on I guess. Hopefully all these terms are explained in game and they aren't expecting folks to be veterans of gambling-games like this.

• Options
    If it's anything like typical gacha games, frequently there are events with their own banners, and typically some story component. Or it's holiday-themed.

Characters
  • Options
    re: terms/mechanics the game does have some pretty decent tutorials and introduces stuff as you go. It's a lot to take in, still, but it at least tries to introduce you to it bit by bit rather than expecting you to figure it out.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Game is live.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.