As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Black Lives Matter Thread 6

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Midnite wrote: »
    Antifa Llama

So the leader of Antifa finally showed their face

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Antifa Llama

I would fall in line for that llama.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Also Robert Evans' post hand break roadwarrior glove made out of license plates is looking good

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    i love that the small child in that video is reasonably terrified of what must obviously be some mythical monster

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Antifa Llama

I would fall in line for that llama.

It needs to team up with an Antifa Alpaca

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    At least 104 incidents of drivers running down protesters as of Sept. 5th, nearly one a day (and likely more since many don't get reported in the news). At least eight of those were law enforcement, and of the rest, only 39 have been charged.

And of course, there's been more since then, since the police are actively winking at vehicular homicide.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Ya they 100% think it's a 'rah rah America is #1' song and have no idea what the song is actually about

ironically they'd probably be way more into Born in East LA if they bothered to listen to the music they pretend to like

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i really shouldn't be surprised, but

fuck

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/26/us/politics/minneapolis-defund-police.html
    MINNEAPOLIS — Over three months ago, a majority of the Minneapolis City Council pledged to defund the city’s police department, making a powerful statement that reverberated across the country. It shook up Capitol Hill and the presidential race, shocked residents, delighted activists and changed the trajectory of efforts to overhaul the police during a crucial window of tumult and political opportunity.

Now some council members would like a do-over.

Councilor Andrew Johnson, one of the nine members who supported the pledge in June, said in an interview that he meant the words “in spirit,” not by the letter. Another councilor, Phillipe Cunningham, said that the language in the pledge was “up for interpretation” and that even among council members soon after the promise was made, “it was very clear that most of us had interpreted that language differently.” Lisa Bender, the council president, paused for 16 seconds when asked if the council’s statement had led to uncertainty at a pivotal moment for the city.

“I think our pledge created confusion in the community and in our wards,” she said.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Oh hey mealy-mouthed cowardice from elected officials. Who'd have guessed.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    They're trying to save their asses when the coup happens in November and Republicans just declare the election invalid.

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Also that piece is, predicably, written from a real shitty point of view, suggesting that the entire idea was always pie in the sky nonsense that the level headed councillors were pressures into going along with

Though also it really sounds like it never had a chance in hell. One of the councillors was apparently joking that if they just renamed the MPD then they technically disbanded it

Speed Racer on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm also fairly sure the cops have been threatening them, but fuck that. Don't capitulate.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular

I must admit that is one huggable bastard

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I would hug Antifa Llama

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    some better news:
    Tldr: 50 vacant city-owned houses will be transferred into a community land trust for permanent use as extremely low-income housing ($25,000 and below). They will be managed by local control committees.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I would hug Antifa Llama

He's a really nice Llama! A++ would hug again

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Chuck Taylor is a professional wrestler (and is in way better shape than Tyler Black)

• CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    Of course it's Born in the USA.

Satire is dead.

Hadn't that bit of satire die already decades ago, when Reagan used it in his re-election soundtrack?

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    yeah people have been misunderstanding Born in the USA (and plenty of other Bruce Springsteen songs) pretty much since the day it was released

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    pfc638dpr7me.png

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    this probably makes me a weirdo but I always think of cheech marin's born in east l.a. first

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    Songs that use irony between the tempo of a song and its lyrics are doomed to always be misinterpreted.

Of chorus, I blame the chorus.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    That's my point though, it's been misinterpreted for so long that you'd think they'd have figured it out by now.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    Lyrics are just words, and words don't matter

• Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    i really shouldn't be surprised, but

fuck

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/26/us/politics/minneapolis-defund-police.html
    MINNEAPOLIS — Over three months ago, a majority of the Minneapolis City Council pledged to defund the city’s police department, making a powerful statement that reverberated across the country. It shook up Capitol Hill and the presidential race, shocked residents, delighted activists and changed the trajectory of efforts to overhaul the police during a crucial window of tumult and political opportunity.

Now some council members would like a do-over.

Councilor Andrew Johnson, one of the nine members who supported the pledge in June, said in an interview that he meant the words “in spirit,” not by the letter. Another councilor, Phillipe Cunningham, said that the language in the pledge was “up for interpretation” and that even among council members soon after the promise was made, “it was very clear that most of us had interpreted that language differently.” Lisa Bender, the council president, paused for 16 seconds when asked if the council’s statement had led to uncertainty at a pivotal moment for the city.

“I think our pledge created confusion in the community and in our wards,” she said.

eat my entire ass you god damn coward

(not you speed racer, you're cool)

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Cops lying?! Good heavens

zkHcp.jpg
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Thread here. NYPD showed up to beat protesters, didnt find any, so they started attacking random people

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Just playing some hoi4 and looking at the land masses I thought back to some geography teacher talking about how over represented the west is in maps looking bigger and more centres then they actually are

And yeah most games and maps show north america as like the same size as the rest of the world but the entire united States would ft inside the sahara desert

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular

good thing the prosecutors made a convincing case for the grand jury to indict the motherfuckers and justice will be served

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Just playing some hoi4 and looking at the land masses I thought back to some geography teacher talking about how over represented the west is in maps looking bigger and more centres then they actually are

And yeah most games and maps show north america as like the same size as the rest of the world but the entire united States would ft inside the sahara desert

There's an actual reason for that:
    This distortion is because of something called the Mercator Projection. Historically, maps can be traced back to the ancient times when explorations took place by using the magnetic compass and Pole Star for navigation. While traditional maps made on flat surfaces gave apt information but gave inaccurate size of countries or places depending on their position relative to the equator.

Putting a 3D planet on a two-dimensional map was something of a challenge for early cartographers and so Dutch geographer and cartographer Gerardus Mercator came up with a solution. In 1569 he designed a map that could be accurately used for navigation purposes, but the downside was that his system distorted the size of objects depending on their position relative to the equator. Because of this, landmasses like Antarctica and Greenland appeared much larger than they actually are.

Like all abstraction layers, the point is to be useful first and accurate later.

TryCatcher on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    TryCatcher wrote: »

This distortion is because of something called the Mercator Projection. Historically, maps can be traced back to the ancient times when explorations took place by using the magnetic compass and Pole Star for navigation. While traditional maps made on flat surfaces gave apt information but gave inaccurate size of countries or places depending on their position relative to the equator.

Putting a 3D planet on a two-dimensional map was something of a challenge for early cartographers and so Dutch geographer and cartographer Gerardus Mercator came up with a solution. In 1569 he designed a map that could be accurately used for navigation purposes, but the downside was that his system distorted the size of objects depending on their position relative to the equator. Because of this, landmasses like Antarctica and Greenland appeared much larger than they actually are.

Like all abstraction layers, the point is to be useful first and accurate later.

It's very useful for it's intended purpose, yeah.

Although amusingly there's also the opposite effect - the US absolutely dwarfs most countries still, and so you'll hear about people in Europe or something not really getting just how big it is. (Like, a train trip across Europe doesn't take that long - across the US is a completely different story)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Lyrics are just words, and words don't matter

It doesn't matter what I say
    So long as I sing with inflection

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hearing the song rocking in a free world during fourth of July fireworks is pretty weird too

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

https://youtu.be/vVX-PrBRtTY

Geography major here, I live for this scene.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    The age of sail has long since passed like music theory we can perhaps stop pretending old dead white europeans "figured out" the world has long moved on

Like it's a useful map for navigation across oceans, why is it being taught in geography class

icGJy2C.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    The age of sail has long since passed like music theory we can perhaps stop pretending old dead white europeans "figured out" the world has long moved on

Like it's a useful map for navigation across oceans, why is it being taught in geography class

Because understanding the strengths and weaknesses of projects projections is necessary to make good maps.

Mercator projections are also useful for certain kinds of maps once you're zoomed in. Also, makes for a good minimap as part of a larger lounge.

RoyceSraphim on
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Thread here. NYPD showed up to beat protesters, didnt find any, so they started attacking random people

In which a handful of stationary, not-obstructing-anything, entirely peaceful protesters are suddenly rushed and beaten by police as a creepy pre-recorded message plays over the speakers

The mix of old-school fascism and cyberpunk "Halt, citizen" dystopia is pretty fucking enervating

Poorochondriac on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

The guys at 1:03 managing to stay calm and continue eating while surrounded by cops and random people being arrested is so surreal.

This discussion has been closed.